• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Altairre

Hey, sorry to tell you, but your parents want a racist, sexist, homophobe, bigoted demagogue to be president. Seems they don't have a big problem with any of those things!

This is the part that always gets me. How can you support someone who is not only openly racist, sexist and anti-LGTB but also pushes for that garbage in his policies and still be a "good person". I don't understand.

theWB27

Dreamwriter has consistently come in and acted obtuse...went away only to do it a little later. Honestly the act is old.

If it isn't an act you don't recognize racism because you don't see anything wrong with it. Which is what I'm leaning towards.

You said you form decisions and beliefs based on facts earlier but you are willfully ignoring all facts and reason.

You called out this thread that we're all just speculating based on nothing but the facts are all over the place showing who Luckey is in support for.
No, those links were only about what the alt-right is (which I already knew). What I haven't read is any evidence that Palmer Luckey is alt-right or has done anything more than give money to a company that makes anti-Hillary memes. Luckey said that he liked the memes he was seeing, searched out how to give money to it, and then gave it to them. That seems realistic to me, I haven't read any evidence that he has been buddies with Milo Yiannopoulos or would even have known the guy's name until trying to figure out who to contact at that company. The one point of doubt is how Milo Yiannopoulos himself said that Luckey was NibleRichMan - but Milo was also accused (by Trump supporters) of making NimbleRichMan up, accused of scamming Nimble America supporters out of their money, so he needed someone he could say was NimbleRichMan (and he only said that after all this news spread).

Mahonay

Banned
No, those links were only about what the alt-right is (which I already knew). What I haven't read is any evidence that Palmer Luckey is alt-right or has done anything more than give money to a company that makes anti-Hillary memes. Luckey said that he liked the memes he was seeing, searched out how to give money to it, and then gave it to them. That seems realistic to me, I haven't read any evidence that he has been buddies with Milo Yiannopoulos or would even have known the guy's name until trying to figure out who to contact at that company. The one point of doubt is how Milo Yiannopoulos himself said that Luckey was NibleRichMan - but Milo was also accused (by Trump supporters) of making NimbleRichMan up, accused of scamming Nimble America supporters out of their money, so he needed someone he could say was NimbleRichMan (and he only said that after all this news spread).
You are overtly trolling now.

Krejlooc

Banned

How can you know what the alt-right is but not know who Milo Yiannopoulos is? How are you still questioning whether or not Luckey Palmer NimbleRichMan or not, when proof that he was the person has already come forth? Why are you asking questions that could be solved by reading any of the three threads linked to you? These questions are all answered in detail in each of them.

How can you know what the alt-right is but not know who Milo Yiannopoulos is? How are you still questioning whether or not Luckey Palmer NimbleRichMan or not, when proof that he was the person has already come forth? Why are you asking questions that could be solved by reading any of the three threads linked to you? These questions are all answered in detail in each of them.
I never once asked what the alt-right is, I know exactly what it is. Links to what the alt-right is tell me nothing.

paskowitz

Presently, does any revenue from Oculus sales go to Luckey (and then subsequently could go to supporting Trump)? If not, then I'm filing this in the "well that's a shame, move along." With that said, Luckey's statement was weak and I would like to see a more affirmative, action based one.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So which of those links references Palmer Luckey or Nimble America?

Nimble America is an alt right organization....

From the original article...
Before becoming directly involved in the process, Luckey met the man who would serve as the liaison for the nascent political action group, and provide legitimacy to a Reddit audience for later donations without having to reveal Luckey’s identity: Breitbart tech editor and Trump booster Milo Yiannopoulos.

Luckey first met the alt-right provocateur in Los Angeles about a year and a half ago, before Yiannopoulos began working on a charity to send white men to college. The Daily Beast later reported that the scholarship fund had resulted in zero financial distribution of the donations that had been made directly to Yiannopoulos’s bank account.

“I came into touch with them over Facebook,” Luckey said of the band of trolls behind the operation. “It went along the lines of ‘hey, I have a bunch of money. I would love to see more of this stuff.’ They wanted to build buzz and do fundraising.”
-Daily Beast

It’s also notable that one of the endorsements of Luckey offered to would-be Nimble America supporters came from Milo Yiannopoulos, the inflammatory mouthpiece of the so-called alt-right.
-Fortune

While Luckey’s general political alignment hadn’t been a secret, the news potentially tied him to some of the uglier parts of Trump’s online support base, including alt-right cheerleader Milo Yiannopoulos.
-The Verge

Luckey’s Twitter activity has been sympathetic to the alt-right and the bigotry that defines it since March of this year.
-Motherboard

Two Reddit moderators and right-wing political journalist Milo Yiannopoulos vouched for the mysterious "billionaire," but the Reddit community was skeptical, with many members questioning NimbleRichMan's identity and whether Nimble America was the legitimate 501(c)4 nonprofit entity it claimed to be. (According to IRS regulations, 501(c)4 nonprofits can't primarily engage in political activity.)

Luckey stepped forward, according to the Daily Beast, to defuse the controversy.
-CNet

I instantly recognized Luckey’s argument. It’s something you would read on extreme right-wing blogs like Breitbart. It’s the same logic you’d get from scrolling through the #AllLivesMatter hashtag on Twitter. It’s a meme you see repeated relentlessly by white supremacists on message boards like 4chan’s /pol/.
-Venturebeat

The group is known as Nimble America and was revealed in a post last week on Reddit’s “The Donald” forum
-The Independent

Another Motherboard article that documents his ties to the alt right.

How long can one person remain willfully ignorant?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
He isn't. Look at his longer post a few up. He demonstrates detailed knowledge of the_donald drama while muddying the waters and casting doubt on every single other aspect of this.
Yup, he knows exactly what the fuck he is doing.
Why are you so fucking invested in Oculus & Palmer Luckey, Dreamwriter? It can't all be just financial...

Why are you even posting in here if you are blatantly ignoring the details and copious examples that have been provided?

Well, this is the same guy who continually maintained the Coleco Chameleon was real and not a fraud, in the face of increasingly overwhelming evidence to the contrary in that thread. So this is par for course.

eggandI

Banned

lol they just keep coming

x3sphere

It's interesting that many of the mods at r/The_Donald and users thought Nimble America was a scam. Goes to show how scummy the organization was, and makes you wonder why Palmer ever decided to contribute $10K. I get the feeling he was buddies with all the people that founded it and wouldn't surprise me if he was doing more than just providing money (which is already really bad). It seems like Nimble America's real aim was to gain influence over r/The_Donald.

JP

There should be a Palmer Luckey meme thread on here, maybe that patented Palmer Luckey "meme magic" would also catch on elsewhere.

Facebook needs to distance itself (meaning fire him) from all of this so that the Oculus isn't hit very hard. And even then who can blame people for stopping to support it when its creator is like this.

Nekofrog

Banned
It's good this came out now. I just dropped big cash on a gtx1070 for my vr build next month, now I can buy the vive instead. I'm sure I'm not the only sale they lost from this douchebag

poodaddy

I never really liked Luckey as something about him always inexplicably rubbed me the wrong way, but this news is still a bummer in a sense. I hate seeing people with genuine intelligence and valuable minds wasting their potential by aligning themselves with hateful bigots and the like. I just wish intelligence was always accompanied by ethics. I have no problem admitting that I've always been envious of truly intelligent people as I'm certainly not one, so sometimes this type of thing really bums me out.

Its like, dude if you're just gonna use your intellect, fortune, and contacts to fuel and perpetuate hatred can I have some of your intelligence? I promise I'd make better use of it than being a prick online.

Ploid 3.0

GarmrWp.jpg

Oculus is probably too small to register as a blip on Facebook's radar. Though I don't tweet, or visit and notice comments from Facebook PR to know that. They just seem pretty big, like Google replying to the outrage of Youtube Heroes, or something like that.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oculus is probably too small to register as a blip on Facebook's radar. Though I don't tweet, or visit and notice comments from Facebook PR to know that. They just seem pretty big, like Google replying to the outrage of Youtube Heroes, or something like that.

Uh, mark zuckerberg has called VR the the future of his company.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As long as the person isn't trying to harm me in some way I wouldn't care if they had those thoughts. In Palmers case he is clearly trying to harm people.

As someone who is at the receiving end of this shit, the beliefs alone are harmful. Fuck that.

Baki

Not defending Palmer but Devs dropping support for games promised on the platform seems like it punishes the unknowing consumer for something they had no control over.

There are other VR platforms like Vive and PSVR. Regardless, things like racism is worth making a stand against.

Top Bottom