• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

As a Vive owner... I have to say to anybody that was contemplating getting into PCVR with a Vive but was holding off primarily due to the cost: take advantage of this deal. The differences between the headsets don't amount to nearly enough to justify the Vive over the Rift at this price. The only exceptions to this that I can think of are if you''re physically unable to route the cameras needed for the Rift back to the computer, or wear glasses with wider frames. I don't expect HTC to come close to this price point until maybe later this year when the LG unit hits. You could wait a few weeks to see if HTC responds, but even if they do, I really don't expect it to be proportional.

Some might have reservations to what Oculus is trying to do with the walled garden approach. I understand this, and I agree, but you're not obligated to spend a dime in their store. Just buy everything on Steam and ignore anything that costs money on the Oculus store. You'll be able to carry your Steam VR library forward to whatever brand your next VR headset will be without worry.

Others might have reservations because they don't want to support the company because of how they handled the whole Palmer ordeal, but honestly at this price they won't be getting much in the first place. They're obviously banking more on making the majority of their money on the software side of things, so much like the previous point, just don't spend money in their store. If anything, buying the headset and not giving them any money through the store is actively working against their desires.

If you're paranoid about Facebook datamining you, I'm pretty sure that many of the services Oculus installs and auto-starts can be disabled/manual start - particularly if you plan on using Steam for games.

Concerns about exclusive games are unfounded, as anything on Steam will support the Rift at least on a base level. Most games these days also have settings and tweaks to make using the Touch more natural on top of that. A dev would have to go out of their way to explicitly block usage of the Rift, and you can be rather confident that the community would work to undo that effort. The majority of the PCVR community is against headset based hardware locking regardless of who's doing the blocking.

Mind you, this recommendation is based purely on cost being the major factor. If cost isn't the primary issue holding you back, then you might be better off waiting for the LG unit later this year. That plus Valve's Knuckles controllers should be superior to both existing options in the PCVR space right now. Higher resolution screens, no Fresnel/Hybrid-Fresnel lens artifacts, flip up headset with rigid head mount but still maintaining the front facing camera, lighthouse based tracking (likely second gen lighthouse tracking). Only thing lacking on the prototype was integrated audio, and that could have easily been added by now.

Tain

As a Vive owner... I have to say to anybody that was contemplating getting into PCVR with a Vive but was holding off primarily due to the cost: take advantage of this deal. The differences between the headsets don't amount to nearly enough to justify the Vive over the Rift at this price. The only exceptions to this that I can think of are if you''re physically unable to route the cameras needed for the Rift back to the computer, or wear glasses with wider frames. I don't expect HTC to come close to this price point until maybe later this year when the LG unit hits. You could wait a few weeks to see if HTC responds, but even if they do, I really don't expect it to be proportional.

Some might have reservations to what Oculus is trying to do with the walled garden approach. I understand this, and I agree, but you're not obligated to spend a dime in their store. Just buy everything on Steam and ignore anything that costs money on the Oculus store. You'll be able to carry your Steam VR library forward to whatever brand your next VR headset will be without worry.

Others might have reservations because they don't want to support the company because of how they handled the whole Palmer ordeal, but honestly at this price they won't be getting much in the first place. They're obviously banking more on making the majority of their money on the software side of things, so much like the previous point, just don't spend money in their store. If anything, buying the headset and not giving them any money through the store is actively working against their desires.

If you're paranoid about Facebook datamining you, I'm pretty sure that many of the services Oculus installs and auto-starts can be disabled/manual start - particularly if you plan on using Steam for games.

Concerns about exclusive games are unfounded, as anything on Steam will support the Rift at least on a base level. Most games these days also have settings and tweaks to make using the Touch more natural on top of that. A dev would have to go out of their way to explicitly block usage of the Rift, and you can be rather confident that the community would work to undo that effort. The majority of the PCVR community is against headset based hardware locking regardless of who's doing the blocking.

Mind you, this recommendation is based purely on cost being the major factor. If cost isn't the primary issue holding you back, then you might be better off waiting for the LG unit later this year. That plus Valve's Knuckles controllers should be superior to both existing options in the PCVR space right now. Higher resolution screens, no Fresnel/Hybrid-Fresnel lens artifacts, flip up headset with rigid head mount but still maintaining the front facing camera, lighthouse based tracking (likely second gen lighthouse tracking). Only thing lacking on the prototype was integrated audio, and that could have easily been added by now.

Good and comprehensive post. I agree with all of this.

same situation for me, The Rift feels more like a consumer product than the Vive. From set-up to the dedicated home and store, everything just works and the head-set feels comfortable. Setting up the Vive felt like something most "normal" consumers would be scared of, but I'm sure it's gotten better over time. The Rift is like macOS while the Vive is Linux. Now that the Rift also has the better controllers, the Vive has become less appealing imo.

Really? I've heard the opposite where the Vive just works and the Rift with it's USB sensors can be a PITA esp. with driver updates and such. I have no personal experience with either though.

Wallach

Why's that?

I had both when they launched and kept the Rift. It’s largely due to comfort - because VR was something I just dipped in and out of when something new came out or for longer sessions of Elite, the ease of slipping the headset on and off and the built in headphones made it an easy choice to make. And this was before Touch, so with that included it’s even better.

Mostly this, really. For a while I had a dedicated VR room next to my office, and while I liked having the space, it was a lot less convenient than just grabbing the Rift hanging next to my desk when I felt the urge to jump into VR to check out something new or shoot a few guys in Superhot. More comfortable and at the time vastly more convenient with the built-in audio. Even with my 15' x 15' space the Vive never felt appreciably different accuracy wise compared to my 3 sensor Rift setup either, which kind of made me resent the time and money it took to set up that room for the Vive in the first place.

Was never a fan of the Vive controllers either so when Touch came out (and then later I took down my VR room to repurpose it as an additional guest room for the summer) I did not wind up taking my Vive back out of the box from then on. They seem to be trying to fix my bigger issues with the Vive with the deluxe audio strap and improved controllers, but you're basically talking $1,000 to get there.

If I had to buy between these two setups all over again knowing what I know now, there isn't a chance in hell I pay an additional $600. You could literally buy this Rift package, a third sensor, and a massive GPU upgrade for that price. Fuck outta here.

takoyaki

Really? I've heard the opposite where the Vive just works and the Rift with it's USB sensors can be a PITA esp. with driver updates and such. I have no personal experience with either though.

That was my personal experience. I got both at launch and there was a stark difference between setting up a Rift and a Vive. A firmware update almost bricked a Vive controller for me, I had a lot of trouble where the connection between the controllers and the PC didn't work reliably, tracking wouldn't work all that well until another update, etc. Never had any issues with the Rift, Touch or the 2 sensors.

Like I said, I'm sure it's gotten better over time and ymmv, but I'd personally recommend a Rift to anyone while I'd only recommend a Vive to people who like to tinker around with tech and know what they are doing.

Dave_6

How do games like Robo Recall and Superhot work? Would I have to use the Touch controllers or can I just sit at my desk with say a Xbox One controller? I would primarily be buying a Rift for sim racing but would like to try out other stuff too.

Steel

Banned
How do games like Robo Recall and Superhot work? Would I have to use the Touch controllers or can I just sit at my desk with say a Xbox One controller? I would primarily be buying a Rift for sim racing but would like to try out other stuff too.

Those would be touch controllers. Go for stuff like Chronos and Eve Valkyrie if you want to stick with the X1 controller.

That being said, Superhot and Robo Recall are amazing.

You have to use Touch. You'll see that you wouldn't want it to be otherwise.

Wallach

You need to use Touch for both Robo Recall and Superhot. Some games require Touch controllers.

Haha, nah dude. Very little about SteamVR "just works". It only works until it decides otherwise.

Tain

These two games require Touch. Mechanically they're completely built around them.

edit: I've been beat twice-over lol but yeah trust me you'll want to use these controllers once you try them

That was my personal experience. I got both at launch and there was a stark difference between setting up a Rift and a Vive. A firmware update almost bricked a Vive controller for me, I had a lot of trouble where the connection between the controllers and the PC didn’t work reliably, tracking wouldn't work all that well until another update, etc. Never had any issues with the Rift, Touch or the 2 sensors.

Like I said, I'm sure it's gotten better over time and ymmv, but I'd personally recommend a Rift to anyone while I'd only recommend a Vive to people who like to tinker around with tech and know what they are doing.

Good to know... thanks for the info!

Blam

Those of you buying the Rift, don't forget to play Climbey and Patrov regularly.

I should be getting Climbey

I think there's a difference between "The game will boot up in VR" and "The game is officially supported." Like someone mentioned, the controls could be an issue.

I mean the vast majority of them will work, and are going to getting Oculus support down the line. Very few problems with it in my opinion.

That'a good to know. Is that true of every game on Steam that lists Vive as the supported but doesn't list Rift?

If a three camera setup was used with a Rift, then the only hurdle would be learning the button config on the Touch controllers since the on screen display would show the Vive wands?

Yeah most games like I said on steam should work vice versa, but you'd need to learn the touch controls instead of the vive wand. But other than that you should be fine. Always check the forums for that game to see if it works on it or not.

If you had to approximate the resolution of playing non VR games in this, about where would it be? Not that it matters, because it'll be mostly mount and blade, with it's mediocre graphics lol.

Blam

If you had to approximate the resolution of playing non VR games in this, about where would it be? Not that it matters, because it'll be mostly mount and blade, with it's mediocre graphics lol.

If you mean on a VR Desktop you can have it at whatever resolution you'd want.

Wallach

But in virtual desktop, what's the effective resolution when viewed through the optics? 720? Or is that optimistic?

It's... just kind of different. It's definitely not as sharp as a 720p game rendered on a normal monitor for sure. But it can also be a virtual screen about the same size as your monitor floating at about the normal distance, or the size of an IMAX in a theater, or whatever. And the source resolution obviously "scales" differently visually when you're messing with the virtual screen like this.

For what it's worth, I don't find trying to use VR to play regular games on a large virtual screen enjoyable. Some viewing content is okay for this, like watching DOTA 2 in the VR is pretty entertaining, especially since you can switch from building-size screen in the cool lobby to jumping into the game itself as an invisible spectator. But stick to a monitor for actually playing "2D" games.

It's... just kind of different. It's definitely not as sharp as a 720p game rendered on a normal monitor for sure. But it can also be a virtual screen about the same size as your monitor floating at about the normal distance, or the size of an IMAX in a theater, or whatever. And the source resolution obviously "scales" differently visually when you're messing with the virtual screen like this.

For what it's worth, I don't find trying to use VR to play regular games on a large virtual screen enjoyable. Some viewing content is okay for this, like watching DOTA 2 in the VR is pretty entertaining, especially since you can switch from building-size screen in the cool lobby to jumping into the game itself as an invisible spectator. But stick to a monitor for actually playing "2D" games.

Realistically this is probably what will happen, I'm just thinking in terms of simplifying my setup, I'll keep both hooked up though for now.

The only reason I'd consider this, is that I'm currently on a 1080p screen, that's 24", about 2 feet away, and I have a slight stigmatism that is realistically dropping effective resolution anyway.

hwalker84

Ok. Just bought one. Robo Recall is my shit when I tried it a few months ago. Outside of that what are the definitive experiences?

I got mine from Best Buy so I got Eve for free.

Bookoo

You need to use Touch for both Robo Recall and Superhot. Some games require Touch controllers.

Haha, nah dude. Very little about SteamVR "just works". It only works until it decides otherwise.

Yea, it's strange.

I had more minor issues with my vive and never had many with my Oculus. My friend on the other hand had more USB issues with his Oculus, but I have never really had any.

Yep, cost is one part of it for me so I'm pretty tempted by this sale, but I've waited so long at this point that it seems like a better idea to just wait for the second generation of headsets.

Wallach

Ok. Just bought one. Robo Recall is my shit when I tried it a few months ago. Outside of that what are the definitive experiences?

I'd recommend Superhot VR, The Climb, and Raw Data. I haven't had time to play through Wilson's Heart yet but I hear it is also pretty good. Lone Echo is probably going to be a must buy, comes out in 10 days.

Edit - Oh yeah, Edge of Nowhere I thought was a good time as well. Not very replayable so maybe wait for a sale but a really good use of VR for storytelling purposes.

Edit 2 - Oh and if you have a steering wheel setup you need to get DiRT Rally. And maybe some ginger chews because that game has little mercy.

mazillion

I understand the recommend spec is a GTX 970 but I'm still in doubt.

Am I going to have a sub-optimal expirience with VR on a 970? Am I going to have to often drop settings to low just to get enough FPS?

Bookoo

Super Hot is incredible.

Echo Arena (beta ends today not sure exactly when) The game comes out on the 20th though and the multiplayer will be free, but the single player will be $40.

Arizona Sunshine is fun in coop and they just finished the stupidly long load times.

Rec Room Coop Quests are blast to play as well especially with friends. It's a free game so it's easy to get into, but there are a lot of kids...which is weird.

The climb seemed fun. I only played it for a bit, but I let me nephews use it this weekend and one of them got addicted to this game and it made me want to play it again.

I heard good things about Mage's Tale, but haven't tried it myself.

I also loved 3rd person games like Chronos (10+ hours RPG) and Edge of Nowhere (3-5 hours linear game like Uncharted)

Elite Dangerous is ridiculously good in VR. Especially if you buy a HOTAS controller. There's one for $40 by thrustmaster. EVE Valkeria is an arcade space shooter that can be fun in small spurts, but Elite Dangerous is a space sim that offers hours upon hours of entertainment. It's my favorite VR (or gaming) experience at the moment. Also, Project Cars 2 is coming out in September and I have a feeling it's going to be crazy good.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Very tempting price but I'm worried about the space it would take up. Also very few games I wanna play.

Does Rec Room work on oculus?

Am I going to have a sub-optimal expirience with VR on a 970? Am I going to have to often drop settings to low just to get enough FPS?

I can't imagine you are going to be able to supersample much with a 970. I'm on a 980ti and the maximum factor is 1.2 in Steam VR (I'm using a Vive though).
So I would consider it the bare minimum with not much room (or no room at all) to up the quality of visuals in many of the more demanding VR games. But to be honest, I'm running out of room with a 980ti myself in some games (still only at 1.2) and I can't speak about how a 1080ti fares in comparison.

Ingame settings are often not really that relevant when it comes to framerate, I usually leave them at standard setting and max out only textures and sometimes draw distance if available. Supersampling put's a dent in your performance tho and that is the thing that really makes a difference in VR, reducing/eliminating aliasing and making text more readable etc.

Do you have to unhook the Rift from the every time youre not using it? Does it causes issues in that sense?

Nope. The headset turns its screen off itself when its not in use. I have it hanging on the wall. All I have to do is throw it on my head, grab Touch contollers, game. I hear theres even a way to access steam VR directly through Oculus Home, but for now I just open it like any application on my computer.

Steel

Banned
Do you have to unhook the Rift from the PC every time youre not using it? Does it causes issues in that sense?

No, you don't have to.

It's fine for most things. I don't feel like I have a suboptimal experience with my 970 in most VR games.

takoyaki

Do you have to unhook the Rift from the PC every time youre not using it? Does it causes issues in that sense?

You can leave it hooked up. The only problem I had early on was with the sound. It would always default to the Rift headphones, no matter what I changed in settings. But getting rid of the stock Win sound driver fixed it, never had other issues playing 2D games/doing work on that PC with the headset hooked up.

You will be totally fine. But, you won't be able to supersample ofcourse.

Jzero

Are we absolutely sure that Best Buy bundle comes with the other free games from Oculus?
About to pull this trigger if so.

How do you position the cameras to turn around and shit? My room is setup where my desk is on one wall, the computer is next to it in the corner and the bed is right behind the desk chair. So I was thinking about using the little space in the middle of the room.

mazillion

Are we absolutely sure that Best Buy bundle comes with the other free games from Oculus?
About to pull this trigger if so.

Yes, check the product description on Best Buy's page.

"Get a total of seven games with the combined purchase of Rift and Touch, including Lucky's Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Dragon Front and Robo Recall

Games will be delivered via download from the Oculus content store when you connect the Oculus Rift and Oculus Touch. May not be redeemed for cash; no cash value."

Those are from Oculus. Best Buy is also offering Eve Valkyrie on top of that.

Jzero

Yes, check the product description on Best Buy's page.

"Get a total of seven games with the combined purchase of Rift and Touch, including Lucky's Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Dragon Front and Robo Recall

Games will be delivered via download from the Oculus content store when you connect the Oculus Rift and Oculus Touch. May not be redeemed for cash; no cash value."

Those are from Oculus. Best Buy is also offering Eve Valkyrie on top of that.

Wallach

It says 2 USB ports required because one of them is the Xbox controller, right?

No, 2 minimum are needed for the headset and 1 camera. Each additional camera needs 1 more USB port. The Touch controllers don't need one since they sync to the headset itself, but the Xbox One pad would need an additional one beyond that if you want to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom