• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blam

Do you have to unhook the Rift from the PC every time youre not using it? Does it causes issues in that sense?

No not at all it'll auto switch once it sees you've taken it off using the inside sensors. It's you also don't need to relaunch home once you take it off as putting the HMD on will do that automatically for you.

Nah, just take it off and close the Oculus app. Haven't had any issues on that front, the audio always switches correctly when the headset comes off.
I think it does, the Xbox One pad should be in the core unit box.

Yeah there are settings in the Oculus Client which will let you pick what speakers it goes back to once you take the headset off.

UrbanRats

No, 2 minimum are needed for the headset and 1 camera. Each additional camera needs 1 more USB port. The Touch controllers don't need one since they sync to the headset itself, but the Xbox One pad would need an additional one beyond that if you want to use it.
The usb thing is really the only worry for me, right now.
I dont have room for... Ehm, room scale, so the Vive would be wasted, but my MoBo only has 2 usb 3.0, and its pretty old, not even sure if i could expand it with an additional pci hub.

Blam

The usb thing is really the only worry for me, right now.
I dont have room for... Ehm, room scale, so the Vive would be wasted, but my MoBo only has 2 usb 3.0, and its pretty old, not even sure if i could expand it with an additional pci hub.

Actually that's what they recommend. 2 on 3.0 and the last one on 2.0

BestBuy in Canada updated their website to show the rift & touch controller bundle for $549, but it doesn't mention the seven games. Does anybody know if you get the same deal at BestBuy as through ordering it at the Oculus Store?

Blam

You need 3 with touch, no?

1 headset.
1 camera.
1 second camera.

1 2.0 for xbox controller.

Oh yeah I completely forgot, but I mean you don't need that xbox controller plugged in since you'd be using the touch controllers? Most games that need 3 cameras won't be using the xbox controller. 2 cameras is fine for any sitting games.

I mean you don't "need" 3 but it's recommended if you want to do roomscale.

Tain

It doesn't.

I think the whole setup can be used through 2.0, honestly, if needed. At the very least I think that a single 3.0 port is fine?

UrbanRats

Oh yeah I completely forgot, but I mean you don't need that xbox controller plugged in since you'd be using the touch controllers? Most games that need 3 cameras won't be using the xbox controller. 2 cameras is fine for any sitting games.

I mean you don't "need" 3 but it's recommended if you want to do roomscale.
Well the xbox controller wouldnt be a problem, since i have plenty of usb 2 ports.

Its the 3.0 ports that i have only 2 of.

Not clear on what NEEDS to be hooked to the 3.0, though.

Blam

I don't think the headset needs to be on 3.0.

You can run everything on 2.0 it's just they'd rather you have it all on 3.0 and one on 2.0

It doesn't.

I think the whole setup can be used through 2.0, honestly, if needed. At the very least I think that a single 3.0 port is fine?

Yeah I'd say the headset and one camera should be on 3.0 rest should be fine on 2.0

Blam

Well the xbox controller wouldnt be a problem, since i have plenty of usb 2 ports.

Its the 3.0 ports that i have only 2 of.

Not clear on what NEEDS to be hooked to the 3.0, though.

1x 3.0 USB port for the headset
1x 3.0 USB port for the 3D Positional Tracker
1x 2.0 USB port for Xbox wireless controller

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1798990480336565

This is straight from Oculus. Disregard the 3.0 for Oculus Touch as that's wireless, so you'd actually only need it for the headset and cameras.

It is out of date, but still either way you don't need everything on 3.0 it won't degrade it.

Quoting myself for the new page. Anyone have any insight into this? If it's true it's a valid reason to avoid a purchase IMO.

From what I remember, it was the typical Internet bullshit. I remember someone in Reddit doing an investigation, and some parts were false, and other parts were wildly exaggerated: it just do a 'ping' every x minutes to the central sever, that way they can get some general stats of how much time you are using their device/their store.

theRizzle

No, 2 minimum are needed for the headset and 1 camera. Each additional camera needs 1 more USB port. The Touch controllers don't need one since they sync to the headset itself, but the Xbox One pad would need an additional one beyond that if you want to use it.

Oh nice. So you don't need to have both sensors hooked up?

tariniel

The USB ports needed and the CPU required are offputting to me. I have an i5-2500k that I've been trying to hold off on upgrading for a long time now. My mobo also doesn't have that many 3.0 ports unless I can use a hub or something. I'll probably just wait some more until I upgrade my mobo/CPU. My GPU is plenty powerful though (1080 FTW edition).

Other than that this is an acceptable price point. I'd love to play Elite: Dangerous in VR and try the other offerings.

Speaking of, does Resident Evil 7 on PC have VR support yet? I know it does on PS4.

rtcn63

From what I've read, even an older i5 (Sandy/Ivy) overclocked should be *just* enough for playable VR in most of the popular games, the more limiting factor currently seems to be the GPU.

And I already have both a powered Amazon USB 3.0 hub (for external HDD's) and Inateck PCI card. Those older chipsets and their shoddy/early USB 3.0 implementation...

Steel

Banned
For those worried about usb 3.0 ports, you can get an extender for that for <$20.

If I had motion sickness from Playstation VR will I have a similar experience with the Rift?

There are less games that run at 60FPS(If you're using at least a 970) and the resolution is better, as is the tracking. That being said, it's probable that won't be enough to make a difference for you.

If I had motion sickness from Playstation VR will I have a similar experience with the Rift?

The device is not the relevant factor for getting motionsickness (if the performance of the game is always at/above the target performance, framerate never drops).

It's the locomotion in your game, so the answer to your question is yes. (some say that 90 fps is the minimum to prevent it, maybe the 60 recalculated to 120 of PSVR was a factor, I can't say)

Blam

Less of a chance in having motion sickness since they have both Async Spacewarp, and ATW and those both are made to mitigate problems that would give people motion sickness within VR.

Depends. What games did you play that made you sick?

I have played Until Dawn Rush of Blood, and Resident Evil 7. While I really enjoyed the games I did feel like I had to take breaks every 5 minutes. I do feel like it's the performance/resolution that kinda makes me feel a bit sick.

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question btw.

Zalusithix

The device is not the relevant factor for getting motionsickness (if the performance of the game is always at/above the target performance, framerate never drops).

It's the locomotion in your game, so the answer to your question is yes.

The device can be a factor if the device's tracking is sub-par. With the number of complaints of headset wobble that I saw for PSVR at release (might have been fixed since, haven't been keeping track), the tracking deficits alone could have impacted whether he got queasy in VR.

Edit:
Less of a chance in having motion sickness since they have both Async Spacewarp, and ATW and those both are made to mitigate all the problems that would give people motion sickness.
ASW/ATW are primarily things to mitigate PCs not having enough power to consistently render quickly enough at all times. Framerate is a factor in feeling queasy in VR, but it's by far not the only one. So no, they don't mitigate all the problems. Not even close.

In PSVR I was getting motionsick in games that should be comfortable because of tracking and framerate. In Oculus, I only get simsick in games with hectic motion not designed for comfort because tracking is smooth, async time warp, and usually my card can maintain 90FPS.

The device can be a factor if the device's tracking is sub-par. With the number of complaints of headset wobble that I saw for PSVR at release (might have been fixed since, haven't been keeping track), the tracking deficits alone could have impacted whether he got queasy in VR.

That's true, I always forget that PSVR has that wobble going on, but from the games mentioned I still say it's artificial locomotion in the case of RE7 and Until Dawn.

Another question could be "Were there any games he was not getting any motion sickness at all?" and what locomotion these games were using.

Well after a few hours of thought, I just impulse bought one and it is already ready for pick up at a local Best Buy. Not sure I get a chance to make it there today, but I will by tomorrow. I had a PSVR and really liked it, just didn't like the lack of games that I wanted to play. I'm an elite member at Best Buy so I'd have 30 days to return it should I not like it, although I might have to eat the cost of the Eve code that they include (I really don't anticipate having to return it). Pretty excited to try out PC VR though!

datamage

Does Best Buy still offer 6 month free financing or whatever?

I have a friend that bought it and got 12 months.

Edit:

fK0tYdJ.png

What was the whole deal with Oculus and invasion of privacy by Facebook? I seem to remember some controversy when the Oculus launched about how Facebook has a constant 24/7 connection where all your info and activity is sent to them whenever your Rift is hooked up, and no way to de-activate that...is that true, and if so is it still the case with the Rift?

That and Palmer Luckey made the Rift a "never buy" and I was looking for a price drop on the Vive. But this is priced so damn low that I'm reconsidering lol.

Their privacy policy basically says they are listening, watching, and sending everything to Facebook, but you should trust them.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-vr-privacy-policy-serves-needs-facebook-not-users/

Don't get one dude, unless you want to make the Trump funding Palmer Luckey happy.

Neverfade

Still in the return window at BB from when I purchased a set and controllers during the last promo, and my local BB refunded me the difference.

So for 400 bucks I've gotten
Oculus Headset
Included XBO controller and wireless dongle
Touch Controllers
The 5 free games that came with touch
the $100 Oculus Store credit from the last promo
Eve Valkyrie from this promo.

We eatin' (VR), fam.

Zalusithix

idk if that's a given after Luckey seemingly got booted from Oculus and recently donated a few thousand to Revive

Technically the Oculus buyout was like three quarters paid in Facebook stock. Sales to Oculus' storefront via Revive benefit Facebook, and thus the shareholders. I'm not going to claim that was the rationale behind his donation, but it's not like it wasn't without its upsides to him.

Lakuza

just ordered mine on impulse too.
Surprised to see that they give robo recall with it too :O

I have a gear vr already but have never tried any of the more advanced headsets so looking forward to this. (surprised I ended up getting a pc based vr system before psvr lol).

Zalusithix

just ordered mine on impulse too.
Surprised to see that they give robo recall with it too :O

I have a gear vr already but have never tried any of the more advanced headsets so looking forward to this. (surprised I ended up getting a pc based vr system before psvr lol).

Assuming you have a capable PC, going from mobile VR to a PCVR setup with tracked controllers is going to be one hell of an upgrade from a gaming perspective. They're not even remotely in the same league. I wouldn't expect much on the screen side of things (resolution/SDE/etc), but everything else should be massively better.

Willxc123

This price definitely has me interested in finally jumping on the VR hypetrain... but I don't own a gaming PC, however.

Are there any recommendations for cheap gaming PCs that work with Oculus or a list of parts I would need? I'm not against building one I just don't really know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom