• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

Original output? I don't believe the stream is shown on multiple outputs in conjunction with the Rift display. With regards to input lag, I thinks it's possible to make inferences from gameplay. In the Halo segment, the player intends to kill a character, aims, and successfully carried out his/her intention. Same with turns in Forza. If lag is perceptible, would it not be highly improbable that the player would make kills or turns with pinpoint accuracy?

Wait, what? The guy is watching a video demo on the xbox. It's not even being played.

f98206affea4eee928062cf92939db7d.png

Unless I'm mistaking that interface and the sudden, jarring transition between games.

SigSig

I don't understand why people claim this to be a dumb feature.
I don't have the cash tobuy a big TV, so I can just simulate a giant one in VR. That's, like, super neat.
Sure, the example doesn't look too hot, but you could literally play on a 21km*9km screen if you wanted to.

jaypah

I actually got to play SF2 on a movie screen before. The experience was unreal.

Lucky! I've gotten to watch other people play on a movie screen but I didn't get a chance to play. Using a virtual screen on my DK2 felt pretty similar to that day though so if you're the type of person that digs that sort of thing it's pretty fun. I wouldn't play every game like that forever but I've easily spent an hour or so doing it per session.

SpongyRug10

Neo Member
While it's an optional feature, it's also the only reason for hooking up an Xbone to the Occulus. They literally showed no other selling points connecting the two products, thereby showing how little synergy there is between them.

Agreed. To be fair, they also announced the inclusion of the XBOX controller with the Rift as well. And that's not forgetting the work they say they've done with building Windows 10 for virtual reality peripherals like the Rift. Plug & play, for example.

We'll see what the future holds going forward with their partnership. Hard to say what else they may have planned for later.

BriGuy

I don't have the cash tobuy a big TV, so I can just simulate a giant one in VR. That's, like, super neat.
Sure, the example doesn't look too hot, but you could literally play on a 21km*9km screen if you wanted to.
If you didn't buy an Oculus, you would have the cash to buy a big tv though.

Hagi

Surely somebody will be able to mod this to play on the full screen of the Oculus instead of the goofy VR cinema shit. I'm all for freeing up the TV for others to use but this is not the way to go about it. I don't want some stupid sitting in a living room inside another living room stuff.

Tfault

Do you really need a PC?

Xbox One games will be playable on Oculus Rift. We shared earlier this year that you’ll be able to stream your Xbox One games to your Windows 10 PC or tablet. Now, we’re happy to announce that we’re bringing the same Xbox One streaming capability to the Rift, a feature that’s only possible through Windows 10. You can play your favorite Xbox One games, like Halo, Forza, Sunset Overdrive and more, on your own virtual reality cinema screen. It’s just like playing in a private theater, and you can even play with your friends through Xbox Live.

From News Xbox Com

The way it's worded would suggest direct streaming to the Rift. Maybe just typical PR confustication.

SigSig

Nah, I'm talking big TVs. Like, really big. You know, those which are expensive? Those.
Also, that whole home cinema setup. Or even a real cinema. Or a super luxus penthouse apartment with marble and shit. Or playing in the cockpit of a Stardestroyer.
All of this for the cost of a VR headset? How is this not neat, seriously.

edit: Stuff like this is already possible, for free.

Maybe now. Point is the cost will go down in the future, and enabling the tech from the get go is a good idea. Even if getting an Oculus is cost-prohibitive right now, a headset will eventually be a lot cheaper than a home theatre setup. I think it's cool - and my experience with VR theatre setups is limited to Youtube in Google Cardboard. Even there I can see the potential.

Nzyme32

Surely somebody will be able to mod this to play on the full screen of the Oculus instead of the goofy VR cinema shit. I'm all for freeing up the TV for others to use but this is not the way to go about it. I don't want some stupid sitting in a living room inside another living room stuff.

That isn't how VR works. You can't just take 2D video and make it "full screen" / adjust the size of the screen to ocuppy your entire field of view, without blurriness similar to sitting right in front of your own TV right up close - it's a shit experience. Just as it is a shit experience to play games in the way they show - in a living room with standard sized screen on your own. There are more possibilities than that, but then again no one needs to do any of this, it's just one of plentiful options rather than a selling point

McSpidey

Do you really need a PC?

I haven't seen it mentioned or even hinted anywhere but the thought it could be built with some embedded mobile chip for standalone cinema mode/streaming is rad and I hope they do it. Maybe as a pre-processor box (with HDMI in please)

Raist

Banned
This looks incredible! No visible lag & different theatre modes.

I don't think it's a real demo of the thing.

A demo of how Xbox One games streaming to the Oculus Rift could look.

The demo showcased by Microsoft yesterday uses the same home theatre as seen in the Oculus Cinema App for the Samsung Gear VR which has been used here for the sake of demonstration. There is some lag due to the recording software used.

BibiMaghoo

That isn't how VR works. You can't just take 2D video and make it "full screen" / adjust the size of the screen to ocuppy your entire field of view, without blurriness similar to sitting right in front of your own TV right up close - it's a shit experience. Just as it is a shit experience to play games in the way they show - in a living room with standard sized screen on your own. There are more possibilities than that, but then again no one needs to do any of this, it's just one of plentiful options rather than a selling point

Have they not done this with Film and TV shows? I'm sure I read there were Walking Dead episodes that had been 'converted' to be watchable in VR, and that was done by essentially doing what you describe above, making the image greater than your FOV, so looking around gives you more picture. It's not the same, but it's better than the cinema thing surely?

Why wouldn't someone who can't afford a decent TV buy an oculus? That makes zero sense

Nzyme32

Do you really need a PC?

From News Xbox Com

The way it's worded would suggest direct streaming to the Rift. Maybe just typical PR confustication.

You really do need a PC (so far) - your xbox one streams to Windows 10 PC, which is then output to the Oculus Rift while the PC renders the environment as well. Assuming the Xbox One gets announced as having native Oculus Rift support (hypothetically), you might be able to play your standard 2d game on any size virtual screen in any environment you wanted to.

SteamVR's earliest incarnations let you use Steam BPM / browse the web / play your PC games on a large curved VR screen, but of course PC games are so much more flexible and open up different resolutions, screen sizes, aspect ratios and formations, assuming your PC can handle that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgP7dei0hzc

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Do you really need a PC?

From News Xbox Com

I'm sure they're hoping people will get that impression, but no, it'll require the PC. If the Xbox One could handle VR, which is required to get the cinema, then we would have heard way more about that and probably have seen real VR games instead.

I'm sure they're hoping people will get that impression, but no it'll require the PC. If the Xbox One could handle VR, which is required to get the cinema, then we would have heard way more about that and probably have seen real VR games.

I mean, what they demoed is not exactly VR in the sense that people know it. My Android phone can run a virtual cinema and play a mkv file on a virtual 100 foot screen running google cardboard. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were able to get something similar working for Xbox One games natively. It doesn't exactly take a whole lot to run a virtual space with a video stream on the "wall". Xbox One already does most of that with its streaming chip what with Twitch or DVR stuff. What they showed is not all that demanding.

Tfault

You really do need a PC (so far) - your xbox one streams to Windows 10 PC, which is then output to the Oculus Rift while the PC renders the environment as well. Assuming the Xbox One gets announced as having native Oculus Rift support (hypothetically), you might be able to play your standard 2d game on any size virtual screen in any environment you wanted to.

SteamVR's earliest incarnations let you use Steam BPM / browse the web / play your PC games on a large curved VR screen, but of course PC games are so much more flexible and open up different resolutions, screen sizes, aspect ratios and formations, assuming your PC can handle that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgP7dei0hzc

Isn't the bolded basically what they have shown.

I also thought you needed a PC, but the wording of the Xbox news article has put doubt in my mind.

Do you really need a PC?

From News Xbox Com

Read the sentence preceding the one you highlighted. The press release is saying "Remember how we mentioned you can stream Xbone games to your PC? Well, you can also stream them from your Xbone, thru your PC, to your Oculus! You're welcome!"

It specifically mentions the use of Windows 10 for both kinds of Xbone streaming.

Edit: Also, as someone else pointed out, if this were true native support, they'd be shouting that from the rooftops.

You really do need a PC (so far) - your xbox one streams to Windows 10 PC, which is then output to the Oculus Rift while the PC renders the environment as well.

So what's the point, to play Xbox exclusives? Won't that introduce a ton of input lag? Does the PC have to be Oculus capable or is it just the streaming service and the PC is acting more as the middleman?

panda-zebra

Banned
2) VR is in a fragile state and needs nothing but good press this early on, not junk like this from Oculus/Microsoft/Facebook.

Considering there was at least a little noise made in the past regarding the potential harm a somewhat half-arsed Morpheus could do to the short term public perception of VR (were Sony to not do certain things to an acceptable level and have people write off VR as not ready for public consumption), I can't understand how Oculus let this happen in their name. At best it's allowed potential console purchasers to discount Morpheus as a deciding factor, if they believe xbone + oculus = ps4 + morpheus; but at worst it's given possibly thousands of curious gamers completely the wrong impression of what VR actually is and can offer by showing gaming virtual cinema.

Nzyme32

Have they not done this with Film and TV shows? I'm sure I read there were Walking Dead episodes that had been 'converted' to be watchable in VR, and that was done by essentially doing what you describe above, making the image greater than your FOV, so looking around gives you more picture. It's not the same, but it's better than the cinema thing surely?

I think I know what you mean regarding the Walking Dead but that is going to be filmed specifically for VR, not converted. Making an image greater than you fov can be done with a curved virtual screen or other layouts. Is this the kind of thing you mean (this is on gearVR) - https://youtu.be/huyd7FqQGFY?t=24m54s

SteamVR's early version does SteamBPM and games on a very large curved virtual screen goes out of your fov so you need to look around a bit. The size of that screen can be adjusted though I think - https://youtu.be/4jql-1lyXeo?t=34s (of note here, he does it wrong, you should be able to play 2d games on the large screen)

Isn't the bolded basically what they have shown.

I also thought you needed a PC, but the wording of the Xbox news article has put doubt in my mind.

You need a PC, there is no rendering hardware in the Rift, and at the conference they specifically talk about using Windows 10 - which already has that streaming capability that they are using to do this. There is no Xbox One support for Oculus Rift yet, but I suspect that is what will happen at E3

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Considering there was at least a little noise made in the past regarding the potential harm a somewhat half-arsed Morpheus could do to the short term public perception of VR (were Sony to not do certain things to an acceptable level and have people write off VR as not ready for public consumption), I can't understand how Oculus let this happen in their name. At best it's allowed potential console purchasers to discount Morpheus as a deciding factor, if they believe xbone + oculus = ps4 + morpheus; but at worst it's given possibly thousands of curious gamers completely the wrong impression of what VR actually is and can offer by showing gaming virtual cinema.

Yeah, all that talk about poisoning the well and then they went with this... pretty jarring.

SharkJAW

This is something I'd be interested in for Morpheus. I live in a dorm room with a pretty small TV, so I'm probably a member of the target audience.

Sevenfold

Simple immediate example I can think of - a multiplayer game with no local component, everyone plays in the same virtual space (despite being global), with their own screen but can interact and spectate when or when not playing. You could have a host that switches between video feeds to see what each person is doing.

Most of the systems that do this stuff now in VR are really rudimentary. There good stuff that can be done now but there is definitely a ton more that could be done. This is one of the things likely to happen with sports / esports broadcasting (as long as everyone has the appropriate service access).

That's a good example and got me to thinking 'local' multiplayer with my mates' avatars, serious 'Ready Player One' vibe then I thought fuck the room, we be playin FzeroGX inside a fucking volcano. Sold.

Tfault

Read the sentence preceding the one you highlighted. The press release is saying "Remember how we mentioned you can stream Xbone games to your PC? Well, you can also stream them from your Xbone, thru your PC, to your Oculus! You're welcome!"

It specifically mentions the use of Windows 10 for both kinds of Xbone streaming.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but

Though not into production yet, the recent event of Oculus talked about teaming up with Microsoft – especially for the Xbox controls and Windows 10 operating system – for better experience. That way, Oculus will not have to depend on other parties to create games in 3D with VR techniques. It can simply be hooked up to Xbox running Windows 10 and be used for games initially. Later, it will develop further to use the virtual reality for other purposes though it did not mention what the “other” purposes were

The Windows Club

Again reference to direct link?

Tfault

I think I know what you mean regarding the Walking Dead but that is going to be filmed specifically for VR, not converted. Making an image greater than you fov can be done with a curved virtual screen or other layouts. Is this the kind of thing you mean (this is on gearVR) - https://youtu.be/huyd7FqQGFY?t=24m54s

SteamVR's early version does SteamBPM and games on a very large curved virtual screen goes out of your fov so you need to look around a bit. The size of that screen can be adjusted though I think - https://youtu.be/4jql-1lyXeo?t=34s (of note here, he does it wrong, you should be able to play 2d games on the large screen)

You need a PC, there is no rendering hardware in the Rift, and at the conference they specifically talk about using Windows 10 - which already has that streaming capability that they are using to do this. There is no Xbox One support for Oculus Rift yet, but I suspect that is what will happen at E3

See my above post. More evidence?

Not an IMAX Movie Theater sized screen. No.

I laughed my ass off when I first saw the presentation, but ever since the reveal, I thought about it some more.

They just used a very poor demo. Instead of simulating a living room sized theater, they should've simulated a screen being projected on the side of a 50-story building.

Alx

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but

The Windows Club

Again reference to direct link?

Sounds like a clear misunderstanding from the writer. They were clear enough about the fact that it was about streaming from Xbox to a Windows10 device, and unless the Rift is running win10 (which it doesn't), then you need something to establish the link.
Maybe a smaller PC could be sufficient, but there is still the motion tracking and the rendering of the VR theater to handle.

BigDug13

Having goggles that act as a TV on your head is nothing new though. That shit's been around for years. It's kind of a no brainer capability of this hardware to also do it. I would actually be surprised if Oculus DIDN'T allow you to use it as a TV in non-VR games.

Tfault

Sounds like a clear misunderstanding from the writer. They were clear enough about the fact that it was about streaming from Xbox to a Windows10 device, and unless the Rift is running win10 (which it doesn't), then you need something to establish the link.
Maybe a smaller PC could be sufficient, but there is still the motion tracking and the rendering of the VR theater to handle.

But isn't it the point that Xbox will be a windows 10 device in the near future and have DX12.

BibiMaghoo

If it's being filmed specifically for VR, then I probably read or remember it incorrectly, but otherwise yes, that was my impression, only with vertical movement allowed in addition to horizontal, just of course not to the same degree.

Canucked

Did Microsoft have a panic attack over Morpheus? This seems like a really last minute forced feature to say "we have VR(esque) capabilities too!"

Raist

Banned

How exactly would you comfortably play a game if you can't see the whole screen without turning your head all over the place?

Nzyme32

See my above post. More evidence?

Your other post is from a blog spam site by the looks of it, not an official site. This official Xbox video explains it exactly as I said. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDnVQgICl4

After he says "straight to oculus rift" as if it's a buzzword, he clarifies "Both devices running window 10 (the Xbox One and the PC), we're able to do game streaming (between the two) and you can have all your favourite games on Oculus Rift along with Xbox Live" (now also on Windows 10). This is the same as the conference which went into specifics about Oculus being supported natively on Windows 10 for PC. It's still a shit solution to the problem.

There is no direct Xbox One support announced (yet)

But isn't it the point that Xbox will be a windows 10 device in the near future and have DX12.

So what exactly are you hoping for here? That you won't need a PC to put a 2D, laggy version of your Xbox games into a device strapped onto your face? I suppose it's possible.

However, that would require the Xbone to be capable of streaming the game, displaying the fake game room that the fake screen is sitting in (and that room has to be in full 3D with high refresh rates and whatnot), while running the games that it struggles to display in 900p on a normal TV setup.

Possible. Not likely.

Alx

Well, technically I guess it may be possible to use a second Xbox as your link device instead of a PC, so stream a game running on Xbox A to Xbox B where the Rift is connected. That is assuming the console itself supports the device, and the theater software has been ported to it. But for now no such thing has been mentioned.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How exactly would you comfortably play a game if you can't see the whole screen without turning your head all over the place?

This is exactly it. People have this dream of 'wall-sized TV' and that kind of nonsens, but for actual gaming you either have to be watching this screen from some distance or end up having your head on a swivel at all times. Something that's going to be immensely annoying.

You can basically simulate the OR experience by just sitting stupid close to your regular TV. Would you want to experience this? Probably not.

Top Bottom