• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

jaypah

A movie theater sized screen where your 2D game is still in 2D, sits off in the distance, and is at a worse resolution than your TV. Yay.

It kinda really feels like you're in a theater though, shit is dope. Not for everybody though as not everyone would want to play on a movie screen in the first place.

andycapp

Neo Member
I agree with people saying this is a poor way to initially present the potential of VR to an audience. At this point I am hoping one of the other VR headset companies quickly come out with a much better presentation to wipe that from the general mindset of the public.

It would be quite easy to do as well. A perfect way to do it would be to start off demoing that same virtual room and TV set up, then have the virtual player set down the controller, get up and walk out of the room into an entire VR world, and on from there. The public would love that.

E3 can't come quick enough.

panda-zebra

But isn't it the point that Xbox will be a windows 10 device in the near future and have DX12.

Directly to xbone, possibly as a straight up HMD, I don't really see why not, but that's no longer VR or gaming within a virtual cinema.

As for Oculus directly into xbone, having it generate the game and the 3d environment tracked as the headset dictates... where is the computational power going to come from to handle that?

The guy in your linked article simply misunderstood. Reading it as a whole, he obviously doesn't grasp much of what Oculus themselves are doing (e.g. "Oculus will not have to depend on other parties to create games in 3D with VR techniques. It can simply be hooked up to Xbox running Windows 10 and be used for games initially" - wut?!).

Mononoke

Banned
This seems dumb. But what if you live in a house where you share a TV. My wife could want to watch a movie on our TV, so I go to use this to my play my Xbox One games another way.

It's just another off screen option. Granted, no one should be buying VR just for this. But as a side option, I don't know. Or am I missing the point here?

I will say the scenario I pointed out, is not something I would do. But I do know people use options to play off screen while their spouse or family use the TV they would normally be playing their console on.

Tfault

So what exactly are you hoping for here? That you won't need a PC to put a 2D, laggy version of your Xbox games into a device strapped onto your face? I suppose it's possible.

However, that would require the Xbone to be capable of streaming the game, displaying the fake game room that the fake screen is sitting in (and that room has to be in full 3D with high refresh rates and whatnot), while running the games that it struggles to display in 900p on a normal TV setup.

Possible. Not likely.

I have no interest in the application as I think it's a rather stupid.

However always interested in technical details, so was trying to establish if there was a consensus on the wording in the article. |Seems there is and you will require a PC (for now).

Theonik

Not an IMAX Movie Theater sized screen. No.

I laughed my ass off when I first saw the presentation, but ever since the reveal, I thought about it some more.

They just used a very poor demo. Instead of simulating a living room sized theater, they should've simulated a screen being projected on the side of a 50-story building.
You are not going to get an experience anywhere near comparable to looking at a display in a room until the Oculus display has enough resolution to match your vision acuity which it cannot and will not for several years.
Also to people asking why not have it fill your entire FOV with the display, that won't look that much better either, and would be uncomfortable.

jaypah

This seems dumb. But what if you live in a house where you share a TV. My wife could want to watch a movie on our TV, so I go to use this to my play my Xbox One games another way.

It's just another off screen option. Granted, no one should be buying VR just for this. But as a side option, I don't know. Or am I missing the point here?

I will say the scenario I pointed out, is not something I would do. But I do know people use options to play off screen while their spouse or family use the TV they would normally be playing their console on.

I play on a curved screen in the middle of space even when my wife is watching TV in the bedroom, just because it's fun for me. Funnily enough my PC and DK2 are literally a foot away from the 73 inch TV it's hooked up to. People who hate this idea should get a real laugh out of that lol

low-G

You realize that viewing Xbox One games this way would mean viewing them at significantly lower resolution (a 1080p image being reduced to a small portion of a ~1080p display)

Not the same experience as viewing even a normal HDTV, the most inferior way to play.

panda-zebra

I agree with people saying this is a poor way to initially present the potential of VR to an audience. At this point I am hoping one of the other VR headset companies quickly come out with a much better presentation to wipe that from the general mindset of the public.

It would be quite easy to do as well. A perfect way to do it would be to start off demoing that same virtual room and TV set up, then have the virtual player set down the controller, get up and walk out of the room into an entire VR world, and on from there. The public would love that.

E3 can't come quick enough.

andycapp saves that day.

Illuminate the Bat Signal, we'll need Shuhei, Boyes and Xzibit - there's a video needs making.

heh, that's like using those 3d glasses at 120hz to filter out every other frame, two people watching one screen and seeing different things. You got yourself a good one if your other half would be up for that!

Tfault

Directly to xbone, possibly as a straight up HMD, I don't really see why not, but that's no longer VR or gaming within a virtual cinema.

As for Oculus directly into xbone, having it generate the game and the 3d environment tracked as the headset dictates... where is the computational power going to come from to handle that?

The guy in your linked article simply misunderstood. Reading it as a whole, he obviously doesn't grasp much of what Oculus themselves are doing (e.g. "Oculus will not have to depend on other parties to create games in 3D with VR techniques. It can simply be hooked up to Xbox running Windows 10 and be used for games initially" - wut?!).

I concur, I didn't believe it was practical for Xbox to stream direct due to the limitations you mention, but was seeking clarification on the Xbox news statement.

Seems we all agree its confustication.

People keep pointing to the second screen experience as a potential good reason for this Xbox/Oculus partnership. But why bother going out of your way to boot up your PC, turn on your Oculus, turn on your Xbox, link them all together, and start playing your 2-D games in a sub-1080p environment with lots of lag due to streaming?

Especially since, in this scenario, you already have a PC powerful enough to run the Oculus. Why not just skip the underpowered console and play some actual virtual reality games on your virtual reality device?

If you're that hard up to escape your wife while she's watching TV and you absolutely need to play Xbone, put a second TV somewhere and enjoy the games in fills size and at full definition.

Nzyme32

Why would anyone want a virtual flat screen with worse image quality and input lag instead of their regular TV?

As a simple example, if you want to watch a live event / show / movie / play something as a group of people in the same virtual space but spread apart globally and want to communicate and interact. Amusingly illustrated (obviously in a very rustic way) while the Oculus Event was going on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-8VeSEsP4

As a simple example, if you want to watch a live event / show / movie / play something as a group of people in the same virtual space but spread apart globally and want to communicate and interact. Amusingly illustrated (obviously in a very rustic way) while the Oculus Event was going on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-8VeSEsP4

I'll be doing that exact thing while watching E3 streams on Monday. Except I'll be watching on a normal screen. Without the lame avatars.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
The only benefit i see to this, which i think i'll actually take advantage of if the same feature comes to non VR PC games is putting on my Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset and having a theatre experience on a huge virtual screen with surround than my 55 inch tv and surround soundbar.

Nzyme32

Oh look it's PS Home. :p

Pretty much since it is so ridiculously early and with such small development. Until they can actual trigger social presence / shared presence and the feeling of an individual being a person via their body language and expressions being mirrored perfectly, it isn't going to be much better. Actually doing this with proper tracking gear / motion capture is apparently amazing, and also really uncomfortably and disturbing if the tracking goes wrong. There is a good discussion of this here - https://youtu.be/ZfZUuYQvwjQ?t=29m48s

Shin-Ra

Oh god, I desperately want someone to rip on this the way Boyes and Yosp made that used games video. Please E3 gods.
OculusInvisible.jpg

Rembrandt

Banned
I play on a curved screen in the middle of space even when my wife is watching TV in the bedroom, just because it's fun for me. Funnily enough my PC and DK2 are literally a foot away from the 73 inch TV it's hooked up to. People who hate this idea should get a real laugh out of that lol

lol, people are just ignoring your positive impressions to keep bashing it.

gypsygib

So stream non-VR games into a VR living room. While actually in your living room.

Yeah. I bet people can't wait. What a silly concept.

It's just streaming a video feed, The xbox isn't receiving motion inputs.

I thought it was a virtual theatre, meaning, sit in your living room but experience games on a massive screen.

If it's the way you describe, it would be pretty pointless. I hope it's not so.

Nzyme32

This is one of the things I hated with Oculus and Microsoft. Oculus used to be very straight forward and down to earth as well as open about what was going on when they were announcing things. This conference on the other hand felt like it was not aimed at potential customers but some kind of investor that needed to be treated like a child and sold ideas in the most condescending way typical of some of the larger churned out conferences for some products.

Linkup

Sure it has been said multiple times, but the OR doesn't have any more ability to stream something in a VR cinema than any other headset, as far as we know. I guess the win here is that the VR headsets for PC will be running on an OS that is natively supporting them so things should be easier for all the HMD manufactures on Win10.

RCSI

This is one of the things I hated with Oculus and Microsoft. Oculus used to be very straight forward and down to earth as well as open about what was going on when they were announcing things. This conference on the other hand felt like it was not aimed at potential customers but some kind of investor that needed to be treated like a child and sold ideas in the most condescending way typical of some of the larger churned out conferences for some products.

The audience was primarily aimed for the press, with specific language to show for it. In due time, Oculus will surely aim a conference towards customers. Considering the "You need to try it" schema around Virtual Reality, I am sure there will be more demos set up for consumers closer to launch. Right now, Oculus's intentions seem to be releasing official statements for press.

kinggroin

Banned
I've actually used this feature in real life on the rift. Granted it was a theater simualion playing whatever video file you wanted, even simulated the lighting from the video source being reflected on the room's surface. Bad ass.

Not something I'd use for hours though, more a cool gimmick than anything.

Nzyme32

The audience was primarily aimed for the press, with specific language to show for it. In due time, Oculus will surely aim a conference towards customers. Considering the "You need to try it" schema around Virtual Reality, I am sure there will be more demos set up for consumers closer to launch. Right now, Oculus's intentions seem to be releasing official statements for press.

Well then they shouldn't be broadcasting it on twitch of all places. The features they emphasised are in essence the most lacklustre bar the Oculus Touch, which clever skipped out on presenting its ship date till after the event. The whole thing just put me off Oculus entirely, which I didn't think would be possible

I've actually used this feature in real life on the rift. Granted it was a theater simualion playing whatever video file you wanted, even simulated the lighting from the video source being reflected on the room's surface. Bad ass.

Not something I'd use for hours though, more a cool gimmick than anything.

but
but
but
xbox one gaming

jaypah

lol, people are just ignoring your positive impressions to keep bashing it.

Yeah, but that's fine. Like I said, I'm not trying to change anyones mind. Just offering one guys opinion of similar technology. Some people don't like playing games in Virtual Cinema for various reasons. Everyone I've shown in real life loved it but I've read negative impressions on GAF and Reddit so it's a very YMMV sort of deal. Also there's a VR war and a console war going on and if the 2 somehow meet up you tend to get 10 page threads :p

but
but
but
xbox one gaming

Like...I don't even understand this one.

I think this is a great idea. Virtual theater is going to be a great app in VR. Some of you aren't using your imagination and just dismissing it as "stupid lol"

I'd love to game in different theaters and environments.

10-cinema-on-sea-thailand-archipelago-cinema-thailand-travel-destinations-great-atmosphere-sea-ocean-beautiful-photography.jpg

EmiPrime

I really hope this was MS fulfilling an obligation made 2 years ago and not a sign that Scorpio's VR solution will be the Oculus Rift...

Tried it out last night and had a great time!

My wife and I live in an apartment with a 55-inch TV - which I normally enjoy for playing my games on but my wife is sensitive to flashing light/moving images in her peripheral vision - so gaming is often when she's out or asleep (fortunately she needs a lot of sleep!) - so this is ideal for me to be gaming while she watches some TV.

I naively went straight for Gears of War 4 mulitplayer and made the virtual screen as big as I could while still being able to keep it all in my vision - and it made me feel a little nauseous straight away. So I moved the screen away a little and found that that made a significant improvement.
I was awful at Gears (which, lol, isn't unusual) but obviously streaming from XBO to PC will introduce some lag - so there's no way I'm playing Halo 5 on this.

I then switched over to Final Fantasy XV and had an amazing time. Keeping my settings as they were from Gears 4, I actually found that I forgot that I was even in VR after a while. It was fluid with some minor streaming compression artifacts here and there. This might be due to Oculus' ASW technology too - so it might be nice (if possible) to have an option to disable that.

Given that on an XBO controller, if you press the Xbox/guide button when you're using Oculus Rift it takes you to the Oculus Home screen, I suppose I hadn't thought "How do I bring up the XBO guide then?" - and the little software button floating under the virtual screen works very well as a replacement, double taps even work for popping the mini-guide to check on Achievements etc.

I'll definitely be using this more and more in the future - tonight in fact :)

TheYanger

I really hope this was MS fulfilling an obligation made 2 years ago and not a sign that Scorpio's VR solution will be the Oculus Rift...

It's entirely possible that that could be an obligation before all of this as well. We can't really know for now.

Top Bottom