• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

Has anyone put together a video comparing the gameplay with the PS2 original? I'm trying to wrap my head around all the changes that were made and it would probably be easiest to see them in action.

Didn't really have this on my radar but I'm pretty close to putting down a pre-order.

I didn't expect the scores to be that good. That's great, though, as I had pretty much already decided on getting it unless it turned out horribly. I'm a sucker for Kamitani's art style.

gbland

I really love the demo. I'll get this game eventually on my vita. Just have way too many games to play right now.

mekes

God knows how long I would have been without this game without the lovely members of NeoGaf. Glad I popped in, and thank you :)

Begaria

Has anyone put together a video comparing the gameplay with the PS2 original? I'm trying to wrap my head around all the changes that were made and it would probably be easiest to see them in action.

Didn't really have this on my radar but I'm pretty close to putting down a pre-order.

While not a direct comparison video, this video does showcase the classic mode (PS2 mechanics available in the remake) and the new changes. It's in Japanese, but it's pretty easy to see the differences when you go from the original mechanics to the new mechanics.

https://youtu.be/LpmOsyCVf50

Totally forgot about the POW stamina stun if you run out of your meter in the original.

ScOULaris

Hows the performance (framerate wise) on the vita? I would prefer to get that version an save 20 bucks.

Judging from YouTube videos and the demo that dropped yesterday, I'd say fantastic. It runs at 60fps about 95% of the time from the looks of things. You can get it to dip if you spam screen-filling attacks/spells on a large boss, but then again even the PS4 version can be forced to drop some frames under those circumstances.

It looks to be an excellent Vita release. Try the demo and see for yourself.

pariah164

The Vita version is smooth like butter. I am so, soooo excited for this game. I never beat the PS2 version, so here comes my redemption.

Is the storybook edition sold out at bestbuy? I try to preorder it online but when I try to check it says its sold out which is weird because sold out games are normally grayed out.

Jake2by4

Is the storybook edition sold out at bestbuy? I try to preorder it online but when I try to check it says its sold out which is weird because sold out games are normally grayed out.

Nope its not sold out, I can add it and go to checkout without a problem.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This probably the best and most fun Vanillaware game to date. I'm in Chapter 6, Gwendolyn.

Jeiiya

I really like this game back when it was originally released, but even after having lots of time with Leifthrasir and the MUCH better combat system, I still feel like the scores are kind of high.

That said, it's awesome that this game is getting that kind of reception! I've always wished Vanillaware well.

Played the demo on Vita the other day (and after being told it played like Muramasa), this game went from being stuck in wishlist hell to day 1.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

nikos

This game ended up in my backlog in the PS2 days and never made it out. Played the demo on both PS4 and Vita. Need to decide which version to pick up. I can put more time into it on the Vita, but the PS4 version is glorious. It also may be fun to play using an arcade stick.

Without spoiling anything, do you have the ability to switch between characters or the opportunity to play using all of them during one playthrough? They're all very fun in their own way, making the decision of choosing one difficult.

Nattan

Oh, so this will be out next week in America. Almost three weeks for the rest of us.

The demo seemed very solid. Nice to see it perform well in the reviews.

This game ended up in my backlog in the PS2 days and never made it out. Played the demo on both PS4 and Vita. Need to decide which version to pick up. I can put more time into it on the Vita, but the PS4 version is glorious. It also may be fun to play using an arcade stick.

Without spoiling anything, do you have the ability to switch between characters or the opportunity to play using all of them during one playthrough? They're all very fun in their own way, making the decision of choosing one difficult.

You have to play out the stories in order, without the ability to switch at will till you get to the last book.

CazTGG

Hows the performance (framerate wise) on the vita? I would prefer to get that version an save 20 bucks.

Pretty solid: There is some minor slowdown but only when there's a lot of enemies and spells being used on the screen (I only encountered it once myself in over 40 hours of playtime, it performs superbly).

jjasso21

Pretty good reviews for the game. I tried out the demo for PS4 and liked it quite a bit too. I'll try the Vita version just for fun, but I'll have the PS4 version pre-ordered anyway.

This game went from "going to my backlog" to "playing day one" after trying the demo .

Same here. I already had interest in this after seeing some of the import impressions late last year, but going hands on with the demo really sold me.

I bought the PS2 original day 1 back on PS2, but ended up pretty disappointed. Loved the visuals from the start, but the gameplay back then felt super sluggish and tedious to me. This new version is absolutely incredible IMO, really reminds me of Muramasa on Vita, which I can say is actually one of the few Vita games I've ever beaten (I tend not to complete handheld games, seem to have some psychological bias against handhelds).

Alright, this is going on my need to buy some day list. I'll wait for the price to drop a bit though. The only full €60 game I'll buy this year will be FFXV probably.

sheaaaa

Pleasantly surprised to find this on the shelf of my local game store here in Singapore. PS4 and seemingly the US version too, since it has ESRB.

sn00zer

Any comments on the difficulty? Played Muramasa on the hardest difficulty with no issue (dont normally play games on hard), since normal difficulty was way too easy.

Novocaine

Shit. I've been so busy with Doom and Overwatch I totally forgot I had this demo downloaded. Some pretty good scores there. I never played the original so let's see how this goes.

KiraXD

Why Altus always gotta make their shirts Large? I'm a Small, at least give me a Medium!

man right? i can never get small/medium game/comic shirts, its like the mentality is all nerds are fat still. hell, even at 6'3" i like small/med shirts... im a skinny fuck.

Not a lot of slowdown on my end aside from the boss fight. There is hit stop for the animations in this game though so hopefully people are counting those as different things.

Maybe it's better or worse for some characters.

ys45

Same here. I already had interest in this after seeing some of the import impressions late last year, but going hands on with the demo really sold me.

I bought the PS2 original day 1 back on PS2, but ended up pretty disappointed. Loved the visuals from the start, but the gameplay back then felt super sluggish and tedious to me. This new version is absolutely incredible IMO, really reminds me of Muramasa on Vita, which I can say is actually one of the few Vita games I've ever beaten (I tend not to complete handheld games, seem to have some psychological bias against handhelds).

I must have played until the first boss or something like that on PS2 , and it's been so long since I played, it's like playing for the first time :)

Skulldead

Any comments on the difficulty? Played Muramasa on the hardest difficulty with no issue (dont normally play games on hard), since normal difficulty was way too easy.

Muramasa had a weird difficulty scaling, i don't think Odin sphere have this. I heard hard was way harder then normal.

CazTGG

The regular encounters are pretty easy (on Normal) while the boss and midboss/trial fights are the only real challenge because they keep throwing hordes of enemies at you while you're being assaulted by them, which is frustrating, especially early on when you don't have many skills to attack multiple enemies at once. Can't speak for Hard but I did get the feeling that the length might have been more tolerable had the regular encounters provided any sort of challenge.

The regular encounters are pretty easy (on Normal) while the boss and midboss/trial fights are the only real challenge because they keep throwing hordes of enemies at you while you're being assaulted by them, which is frustrating, especially early on when you don't have many skills to attack multiple enemies at once. Can't speak for Hard but I did get the feeling that the length might have been more tolerable had the regular encounters provided any sort of challenge.
That's what I figured/worried

When people (ScOULaris in particular) were expressing concern for the difficulty a lot of folks on here seemed to take it like elitism, like "ugh not every game has to be Dark Souls, play on a higher difficulty" but if your options are "mindless" or "frustrating grind" that kinda sucks

At least the combat is fun, and the game looks/sounds beautiful...

Top Bottom