• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories thread

Release Dates:

US: October 31
Europe: November 3

Story

Vice City, 1984. Opportunity abound in a city emerging from the swamps, it's growth fueled by a violent power struggle in a lucrative drugs trade. Contruction is everywhere as a shining metropolis rises from foundations of crime and betrayal.

As a soldier, Vic Vance has always protected his dysfuctional family, his country, himself. One bad decision later and that job is abotu to get much harder. Kicked out onto the streets of a city torn between glamour and gluttony, Vic is faced with a stark choice - build an empire or be crushed.

Empire Building

With Vice City Stories set to go on sale next week, Rockstar passed over some last minute information today on the game's new "Empire Building" feature. The idea here is that instead of just running around clearing enemies out of buildings, you can now take over those buildings and start businesses in them -- "brothels, drug distribution, gambling, extortion, and other modes that will remain secret for now," according to a Rockstar statement.

This isn't just so you can look at a map and see how much of the city you own, however. As you acquire businesses and proceed through the game, you will earn money from them, play out errands and missions related to them (via notices on your pager), and have to deal with the downsides such as legal trouble and creating enemies by stealing their locations (who will try to get it back). It essentially adds a layer of strategy on top of all the running, gunning, and driving that the main game provides.

747531ac5f.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3154736

Multiplayer Modes (Ad-Hoc only)

* Vice City Survivor - a regular deathmatch mode which you can play as a free for all or in teams.
* Street Rage - A standard street racing mode
* Taken for a Ride - This mode is most similar to Capture the Flag in other multiplayer games. You have to steal the opposing team's car and return it to your base. The team with the most cars captured when the time runs out is the winner
* Protection Racket - A team based, conquest style game. When you start out you'll either be attacking or defending. If you're defending you'll have to prevent four vehicles inside your base from being destroyed and if you're attacking you'll have to take out the opposition's cars. The quickest assault on the base wins.
* Tanks for the Memories - There's one tank somewhere on the map. The team that spends the most time inside the tank is the winner but it's not all that simple - the opposition will carry heavy weaponry in order to take the tank out, like the game's new Rocket Launcher.
* Grand Theft Auto - A simple steal cars, sell cars mode. You'll have to grab specific vehicles off the street and return them to a location. The better condition the car is in when you deliver it, the more cash you'll receive. The winner is the player with the most money at the end of a given time
* Hit List - One player in the game is designated as "The Mark" and they must stay alive for as long as possible with every other player in the game chasing after them. However, the Mark cannot see other players on the radar nor can they stay in any vehicle for a length of time (it will explode after a period). Killing the mark results in someone else taking on that role. The winner is the player who stays alive as The Mark for the longest.
* Empire Takedown - Two teams, each with their own building or site. There's one set of explosives located somewhere on the level and the aim is to be the first team to grab them and deploy them at the opposing team's site. Once you're successful in rigging their building up to blow you'll have to prevent the other team from defusing the bombs while a timer counts down. When the timer reaches zero the building will explode and the winner will be declared.
* Might of the Hunter - Very similar to Tanks for the Memories but the aim is to score the most kills and there's a Hunter (aka the "Army" helicopter) rather than a tank. Once again players will be equipped with heavy weaponry.
* V.I.P. R.I.P. - Two teams - attackers and defenders and one player on the defenders' team is the VIP. The VIP must collect five briefcases, one at a time (when one is picked up another will spawn somewhere else) and then make their way to the escape point. While this is happening the attackers must try to kill the VIP. If the VIP escapes, the defending team wins but if the VIP is killed the attackers will win.

Radio Stations Track lists still incomplete, Rockstar has said it'll be the biggest GTA soundtrack so far and have over 100 songs.

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015001175.jpg

DJs: Couzin Ed, Lazlow

* Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane
* Queensryche - Queen of the Reich
* KISS - Lick It Up
* Dio - Holy Diver
* Ratt - Round and Round
* Dokken - Breaking the Chains

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026014959769.jpg

DJs: Teri, Toni

* Missing Persons - Destination Unknown
* Alan Parsons Project - Games People Play
* Pat Benatar - Love is a Battlefield
* Philip Bailey & Phil Collins - Easy Lover
* Hall & Oates - Family Man
* INXS - The One Thing
* Scandal - The Warrior
* Alison Moyet - Love Resurrection

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026014959113.jpg

DJs: Lionel Makepeace & Special Roving Reporter

* Giuffria - Call To Your Heart
* The Assembly - Never Never
* Pat Benatar - We Belong
* Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is
* The Pretenders - Private Life
* The Passions - I'm In Love With A German Film Star
* Elkie Brooks - Fool If You Think It's Over
* Toto - Make Believe
* Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015000050.jpg

DJ: Luke

* Jonzun Crew - Pack Jam
* Run DMC - It's Like That
* Whodini - Freaks Come Out At Night
* Man Parrish - Boogie Down Bronx
* Midnight Star - Freak-a-zoid
* Rock Master Scott - Request Line
* The Egyptian Lover - Egypt, Egypt
* Art Of Noise - Beat Box
* Planet Patrol - Play At Your Own Risk

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026014959504.jpg

DJ: Unknown

* Exodus - Together Forever
* Class Action - Weekend (Tonight is Party Time)
* Sister Sledge - Lost in Music
* Sister Sledge - We Are Family
* Jackie Moore - This Time Baby
* Raw Silk - Do It To The Music
* Geraldine Hunt - Can't Take The Feeling
* Gwen Guthrie - It Should Have Been You
* Jimmy Bo Horne - Is It In

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015000629.jpg

DJ: Pat Floyd

* Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
* Earth, Wind & Fire - Fantasy
* Keni Burke - Keep Rising to the Top
* Rick James - Mary Jane
* Hot Chocolate - It Started With A Kiss
* The Commodores - Nightshift
* Sylvia Striplin - You Can't Turn Me Away

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015000894.jpg

DJs: Adam First with Trish Camden

* The Human League - Love Action (I Believe in Love)
* Yazoo - Don't Go
* Japan - Quiet Life
* Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
* Thompson Twins - Love On Your Side
* Blondie - Heart of Glass
* ABC - How To Be A Millionaire
* New Order - Blue Monday

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015000285.jpg

DJ: Hector Hernandez: Frank Rodriguez

* Bobby Valentin - Mi Ritmo Es Bueno
* Hector Lavoe - Mi Gente
* Willie Colon - El Malo
* Ray Barretto - Acid
* Tito Puente - Oye Como Va
* Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez - I Like It (I Like It Like That)
* Celia & Johnny - Quimbara

the-music-of-gta-vice-city-stories-20061026015001613.jpg

DJ: Various

Reviews

PSM3: 91
Games Radar: 8
PSM: 9.5

Screens

new-vice-city-shots-20061026023633236.jpg

new-vice-city-shots-20061026023634126.jpg

vice-city-stories-shots-20061019075127242.jpg

new-vice-city-shots-20061006103139307.jpg

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20061003022622603.jpg

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20060927044315509.jpg

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20060913055636920.jpg

gtavcs_screen001.jpg

Trailers

I'm Your Brother - You Can Trust Me
http://www.rockstargames.com/vicecitystories/dry/movies/gtavcs_trailer1_hi.wmv

Ladies & Gentleman, Lets Pop
http://www.rockstargames.com/vicecitystories/dry/movies/gtavcs_trailer2_hi.wmv

In So Deep
http://www.rockstargames.com/vicecitystories/dry/movies/gtavcs_trailer3_hi.wmv

Wollan

I think I need to pick this up for my upcoming long flight. This and Killzone I guess.
I don't like that the missions have been lengthened but will be awesome still.

Oni Jazar

I'm very excited to return to Vice City. It's flatter then the other two games but there's so much damn style in VC.

So is San Andreas Stories a given now?

I dislike that these titles are coming to the psp since I have no plans on buying one. What I do like is that rockstar can use these psp titles to refine the ideas they have for changes to the gta formula and types of multiplayer matches. I just hope that gta4 has phil collins for that would rock:lol

Ranger X

jetpacks was yes said:

You sir is right.

But i have to resist for that game. I want to try a "wait and see" approach just in case there would be a PS2 game announced. I suppose Rockstar can announce this anytime even if they said it would never be (since they did exactly that with Liberty City Stories)

bjork

We ordered this for the stores, but if it doesn't turn up in today's orders, I'm hunting this down asap. Vice City is one of the coolest playfields there is.

Some people in US has now the game:

The game requires PSP firmware version 2.81 to play and will not launch on machines with a lower version. An update is included on the game disc.
There is a pedal bicycle in the game and controls are said to be idential to San Andreas

6.jpg

You'll start out on the "second island" from Vice City with access to areas like the airport, army base and downtown
You can buy houses in Vice City Stories.
Vic can swim for over one minute before drowning but there is the possibility of it increasing as Vic increases his stamina.
Police bikes can be found in the game.
You can fly the dodo and skimmer planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30eThcFf-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5-U4tz0Oo

4.jpg

scarybore

Wario64 said:
Crap I dont want to upgrade...

Same, hopefully 2.81 gets emulated reasonably soon as I really want to play this since Vice City was my favourite GTA. I guess it will be cheaper by the time i get to play it :p

The V-Rock tracks seem a bit crappy so far (Iron Maiden song please!) but there are a few tracks from the other stations that I enjoy. Soundtrack doesn't seem as good to me as VC so far but that is a limited list and it would always be a challenge to better VC's soundtrack anyways.

Banned
Hmmm, now THIS is worth buying a PSP for! I think i'll wait & see if PS2 cops it though.

Good to see they're testing new ideas and not just 'handheldising' the game.

Hopefully this game will work on 2.71 SEB without going through any non-patching steps. I've only had SEB for a few days and I already hate using devhook for anything.

P.S. It was leaked about an hour ago and supposedly runs fine on devhook, so no real worries for 1.5 users. You will be able to buy the game and actually play it without any patching.

Okay gang, some possible lame news.

Apparently the European version runs fine on devhook/SEB, whereas the US version requires an update. There will surely be a patch, but for now if you buy it, you won't get very far, says the rumor.

By the way, to the guy asking about 2.82 emuation, you might like to know - as I've said a billion times already, maybe even in this thread (I'm too tired to check) - that the firmware was decrypted the very day it came out. Again, booster just hasn't released it because the hope is the same decryption techniques will work for 3.0 if the new devhook isn't made public. So you have nothing to worry about.

Okay guys, here's the skinny:

The American UMD of this game WILL NOT run on devhook or SEB. It is possible though not confirmed that ripping an iso off the disc and removing the update file will allow you to play it, but you'll need a hugeass memory stick because the game is like eighty-gajillion gigabytes.

Wait for a patch/devhook update, because they're both likely on their way.

rod

Banned
ok im gonna cave. but what i wanna know is, if i wanna play this (im still on 1.5) it CAN work with fevhook+euro UMD, correct? cos euro is "pal" so im guessing theres a good chance the AUS one will work:D

Top Bottom