• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories thread

I don't know about the European UMD. European ISO, however, definitely. You might want to wait a day or so to find out for sure if the UMD runs. I'm getting all my information here from people who pretty much only use ISOs, so they probably won't be the most reliable source of information regarding that sort of thing. But if you have a big enough memory card (thing's something like 1.5 gigs if you don't chop up the radio stations), you can rip it and be good to go.

Bebpo

Banned
To be honest, I think it really says something about the state of the PSP as a system when, despite one of the system's biggest games coming out today, the majority of posts are just about firmware & devhook rather than the game.

No wonder PSP is doomed, everyone is scared to just buy a game, stick it in their system, and play it like you would any other system.

Bebpo said:
To be honest, I think it really says something about the state of the PSP as a system when, despite one of the system's biggest games coming out today, the majority of posts are just about firmware & devhook rather than the game.

No wonder PSP is doomed, everyone is scared to just buy a game, stick it in their system, and play it like you would any other system.

I agree, every new psp game you got people here getting their panties in a bunch cause they have to upgrade their firmware to play a new game. Thats probably a big reason why sales are low.

Pimpbaa

"lol psp has no games"
"here is a new game, get <insert new game>"
"screw that, I would have to update my firmware"
rinse and repeat

M3wThr33

Banned
Wow. What's the point of having a save point
in the barracks if you only do 3 missions before getting kicked out?
I hope you can go back...

Andy787

Banned
Bebpo said:

It's sad, but as you've pointed out, it's clearly true.

This probably also has a lot to do with why people ignorantly bash the system, saying that it has no games. It has plenty of games, and plenty of good ones; you just don't want to play them.

I really don't know why people who whine about the PSP's library, due to not wanting to give up their emulation, even bought their PSPs in the first place.

M3wThr33

Banned
Woo.
I completed Phil Cassidy's Target Practice and got
a discount on all purchases. Not so whoo... 5 rounds, took 3 tries.

I wanna hear some impressions (without spoilers) how does the story hold compared to past GTAs?

is there gang wars (like LCS)? or is asset building? (like VC)

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, I haven't done much right now.
But I do love this new "Trip Skip" feature that I haven't seen before.
It allows you to skip the driving part to the meat of a mission. (After you've tried it once)
This is AFTER taking a taxi and starting the mission.
(Like in LCS where you have to drive to the factory to torch the money)

Ranger X

Oni Jazar said:
Why did they take away fence hopping from San Andreas? I can't imagine it's that difficult to use on the PSP.

It wasn't took away. They are ADDING to Vice City here. You couldn't even swim in the PS2 Vice City. You didn't had the grab in Liberty City Stories either also.
I suppose they can't add everything and the grab wasn't all that usefull to begin with so i'm happy they focused on other gameplay (even if i think the grab helps the immersion)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Played for about 2 hours last night before my repeated glances at FF12 laying nearby finally got the best of me and I fired it up instead.

The loading times are long, as usual with PSP games, but really I could see this as only a problem if you did one mission right after another. Just crusing around the island there is no loading, of course. I've only done 2 missions but already I can tell the usual top notch voicework typical of Rockstar games is in full effect.

Targetting is still terrible, but we knew that already. I found a Mayhem mission and failed it because tapping the R shoulder button to target the gang members I was supposed to be wiping out seemed to never target the guy nearest to me who was filling me full of holes. Just something to get used to all over again.

Upon dying in the Mayhem mission I was pleased to see a floating padlock icon outside the hospital. Seems they've introduced a means of getting whatever weapons you had in your possession back after getting killed (well, knocked out and dragged to the hospital). At the time I had a few grenades and a pistol and the lock icon told me it would be $2k to get my weapons back, which of course I didn't have, having just started the game. Still, a welcome addition for later in the game I'm sure.

The highlight for me, as with past GTA games, was the radio. I listened to the talk station and in no time was giggling uncontrollably. After playing Saint's Row for 25+ hours, coming back to Rockstar's radio stations was like a breath of fresh air. No one does it better.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ranger X said:
Fixed for ya :D

Hahah! Well, that's true to a point. I enjoyed a lot of what Saint's Row fixed, in relation to GTA games. I loved not losing my weapons after dying, only money. I liked not getting punished for failing missions and such, etc. etc.

Still, you are right...

Ranger X

Big Nate said:
Hahah! Well, that's true to a point. I enjoyed a lot of what Saint's Row fixed, in relation to GTA games. I loved not losing my weapons after dying, only money. I liked not getting punished for failing missions and such, etc. etc.

Still, you are right...

Nice indeed but in GTA i wasn't losing my weapons either. Like in SA it was part of the gameplay (more rewarding that way imo). Just by dating the girls once, you don't lose your weapons anymore after you're busted or taken to the hospital. Another one is also giving you a free "pay and spray".

I think Saints Row was cool for the GPS and kick button though. Some stuff was better organised in that game and hope it comes as part of the "default improvements" in GTA4 next year...

Played this game for a couple hours last night. Thoughts:

-It's amazingly stylish. More stylish than the original, and definitely more stylish than LCS.

-It just feels really polished. It's not nearly as rough around the edges as you'd expect.

-Load times are almost nonexistant if you do it right.

-Soundtrack rocks.

-It's the best game on the PSP.

Everyone should buy this, including 1.5ers (although 1.5ers should rip it to iso and get rid of the update files, because this game plays so so so much better as an iso, since the disc doesn't have to constantly spin. Saves battery, too). It's awesome.

bjork

I got this earlier today, but I need to wait for my battery to charge before I can do the update... ARGH

Well, the incident that made me write that post was classic ASS:

There's a loan shark mission that had me perform 15 missions in a row. Wouldn't you know it--as soon as I'm on the last mission, I cannot escape the car I'm driving. I can't get out at all. The button is registering, but Vic won't get out. Run out of time... Mission Failed.

As a whole, I'm notice little things that scream RUSHED SOFTWARE. Slightly skipping soundtracks, disappearing sound effects... Uggh...

Ranger X

typo said:
Well, the incident that made me write that post was classic ASS:

There's a loan shark mission that had me perform 15 missions in a row. Wouldn't you know it--as soon as I'm on the last mission, I cannot escape the car I'm driving. I can't get out at all. The button is registering, but Vic won't get out. Run out of time... Mission Failed.

As a whole, I'm notice little things that scream RUSHED SOFTWARE. Slightly skipping soundtracks, disappearing sound effects... Uggh...

Never encountered this in a GTA :(((

Yeah, uh, been playing for a few hours, and this game is no glitchier than any GTA game before it - maybe even a little less.

GTA's always been glitchy. It's to be expected, and the tradeoff for such finely tuned free-roam gameplay is more than worth it, in my book. This game does more than any other PSP game to date, and does it with almost no hiccups. It's an extremely impressive accomplishment.

Ranger X

Aristotlekh said:
Yeah, uh, been playing for a few hours, and this game is no glitchier than any GTA game before it - maybe even a little less.

GTA's always been glitchy. It's to be expected, and the tradeoff for such finely tuned free-roam gameplay is more than worth it, in my book. This game does more than any other PSP game to date, and does it with almost no hiccups. It's an extremely impressive accomplishment.

Yep. With a very low number of testers Rockstar did an AMAZING debug job believe me. From my experience in QA i can tell you a game like GTASA must be like the hardest thing to debug. Speaking of SA, i always been amazed that in 180 hours of play i've encountered only ONE major bug and it's because i've searched for it.

M3wThr33

Banned
There is a definite increase in radio station change lag. Also, I did encounter a vehicle that had no engine noise. (VCPD Wintergreen)
But I had that a few times in LCS. I'll have to play more to see if it's more common.

(This time I noticed the models all have fingers as opposed to a thumb, index and the rest grouped)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've encountered a glitch with sound drops. Most times when I jack bike there's no sound when I hit the driver.

Also there was a mission where during it I needed to find a car that seats at least four. So I run around for five minutes and every car on the road is the exact same two door sedan, same color even.

Game overall runs great though, very smooth for a GTA game, makes me think San Andreas Stories is possible.

Still don't understand why they wouldn't put in climbing or crouching.

M3wThr33 said:
There is a definite increase in radio station change lag. Also, I did encounter a vehicle that had no engine noise. (VCPD Wintergreen)
But I had that a few times in LCS. I'll have to play more to see if it's more common.

(This time I noticed the models all have fingers as opposed to a thumb, index and the rest grouped)

Considering what they are able to pull off on a handheld system, I'll take the lag between stations. It's better then the screen stuttering that was in LCS.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This game bores me to tears.

Ok, a little background, I'm a huge GTA fan, I loved 3, I loved Vice city, couldn't get into the SA story but I played around none the less, really enjoy LCS but this... its just the saem game I've played over and over and over and over.

The missions are the same, the lock-on a ped across the street when a guy next to me is ripping me full of holes is the same, the vehicles are the same. Rockstar is holding on way too tight to this game/engine and isn't doing too much new.

They better have something up their sleeve for GTA 4 :/

Carl2282

i just got the game, and so far so good. I mean honestly to fit this much stuff into a psp game, rockstar is a great company. Vice city was my favorite GTA city too, so im looking for many hours of gameplay out of this one

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
2 Page thread, not even on the first page of amazon's chart - is this game going unnoticed in the shadow of FF12?

Oni Jazar

When I picked it at EB there were rows and rows of copies available. I walked in the store when the EB clerk was saying, "...yet we get a crap load of these.." indicating to the plethora of Vice City Stories titles on the shelf.

It made me a sad panda.

Nobody buys PSP games anymore, the system is total pirate friendly. I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday and I asked em hey did you get Vice City Stories and they were like, "No, lol! The game is over a gb, lol! I need a 4 gb mem stick".... They all wanted a bigger memory stick so that they could download the games and play it off em.

I honestly don't see Sony's strategy. High priced system, high priced games, rampant piracy... devs should boycott this shit

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Doom_Bringer said:
Nobody buys PSP games anymore, the system is total pirate friendly. I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday and I asked em hey did you get Vice City Stories and they were like, "No, lol! The game is over a gb, lol! I need a 4 gb mem stick".... They all wanted a bigger memory stick so that they could download the games and play it off em.

Your friends need to read MaxConsole.net a bit harder.

Anyway, anyone else having trouble with the ****ING analog nub for the ****ING quad race? Driving me ****ING nuts

Or let games run on pirate-friendly firmware so people who don't like having over a fourth of their memory stick taken up by one game can buy the game if they so wish.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
McBacon said:
Your friends need to read MaxConsole.net a bit harder.

Anyway, anyone else having trouble with the ****ING analog nub for the ****ING quad race? Driving me ****ING nuts

the one with louise? I thought the quads were more forgiving in this game than they were in San Andreas.

Try using dpad control.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Razoric said:
Or people are waiting on the $20 PS2 version.

I hate to say it, but this is my reasoning (no PSP, no price drop, and no spare money for it). But I am surprised this thread is so tiny, I was hoping for a lot of impressions. =(

how long does it take to unlock the rest of the islands? I really wanted to try out some of the new stuff like the jetskies on the beach and the amusement park?

curse you rockstar - I'd love to play this on a console, I hate the controls especially when trying to shoot, and for manipulating the camera in small areas (with no analog). The blur effect of the screen's low refresh is jarring at times. Other than that, its an amazing achievement on a handheld.

MoxManiac

Guys, it isn't even about piracy for some people. I cling to my 1.5 because I love playing my (purchased) games off the memory stick at 333mhz.

Top Bottom