• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official HBM2 memory standard posted.

disap.ed

What are the chances Nintendo uses HBM2 in the NX console?

Probably low. Too expensive and support constraints imminent atm.
Neither is the bandwidth needed for the performance Nintendo probably is targeting at.
Only reason I could see was for lower energy consumption.

dr_rus

Supposedly GDDR5X can replace GDDR5 straight up at little cost difference, so it's just a case of timeline.
I'm pretty sure that it's more complex than this. You still need to have a memory controller capable of running at 10-14 gigahertz. And GDDR5X will come with a premium.

McHuj

I have not seen anything about GDDR5x power consumption/energy efficiency. Anyone?

If it's much higher power than GDDR5, I think it will be a short lived solution.

dr_rus

I have not seen anything about GDDR5x power consumption/energy efficiency. Anyone?

If it's much higher power than GDDR5, I think it will be a short lived solution.

GDDR5X operates on lower voltage (1.35V) compared to GDDR5 (1.5V). The gain will be eaten up by higher clocks obviously but all in all it shouldn't consume much more than GDDR5.

Top Bottom