• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
Vancouver knows that motto full well....

What's this? Forza and Mike arguing?? Italy plays the biggest game of the year for them tomorrow and you guys should be united. Get a grip!

Manics said:
What's this? Forza and Mike arguing?? Italy plays the biggest game of the year for them tomorrow and you guys should be united. Get a grip!

Everything is in good fun my fellow "paisans" :D

Manics

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
Everything is in good fun my fellow "paisans" :D

Good attitude man. Even though I argue with Michael, there's a great love and respect there between us with the Italian heritage. We're as close as brothers because brothers fight all the time, but then would put their life on the line for each other when push comes to shove. That's how it is with us.

Manics said:
Good attitude man. Even though I argue with Michael, there's a great love and respect there between us with the Italian heritage. We're as close as brothers because brothers fight all the time, but then would put their life on the line for each other when push comes to shove. That's how it is with us.

:barf

ForzaItalia said:
Vancouver knows that motto full well....
I'm not the one using winning the Stanley Cup as a litmus test for whether or not you should trade a good player- you are.

Chris Pronger emerges as Edmonton's best player in the playoffs- a playoffs where they got to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals- and according to you they should trade him because they'll get some good picks or young talent (since they obviously have no chance of winning the cup next year even though the main reason they didn't win it this year was because their all star goalie got injured in the first game of the final).

That logic makes no sense, absolutely no sense whatsoever. If your team makes the Stanley Cup Final, you absolutely do not gut your roster in the off season to prepare for the future. Sure the Oilers could get a great young player or high draft pick(s) for Pronger, but why? What's the point? So they can contend for the cup maybe in 7 years, and then if they don't win it all in the first season they try, they'll trade an emerged Kessel for, what, future considerations?

I understand that as a Leaf fan you must have been screaming for your team to trade veterans for young players over the past 5 or so years, but your strategy of trading Pronger now makes absolutely zero sense.

Manics said:
STFU

forza azzurri

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
:lol @ "trade Pronger"

Nevermind the fact that he has been perhaps the best hockey player in the world in 2006, but he doesn't even make the max under the salary cap. $6.25M is a lot, but if he can keep up his play, it'll be a bargain...especially considering his ability to turn his defensive pairing partner, whoever it is, into an allstar looking dman.

Also, the Edmonton media has done nothing but praise him since ~November 2005. His offensive game took a couple months to get going this season, and he took some flack the first month; but since then, nothing but praise.

It's hard to say whether or not Edmonton will be true contenders next year.
Actually, with the biggest free-agency market the off-season has ever seen, it's kinda early to judge how ANY team (including the Hurricanes) will do next season.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Manics said:

pointinghand.jpg

istockphoto_571896_ha_ha.jpg

_1024713_laughing300.jpg

38714046_18637a9358_b.thumbnail.jpg

a_koivu_i.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Unresponsive Bee Victim said:
very sad day for those who like the Ducks. As a Ducks/ Sabres fan, I feel very sad to see a cool color scheme and logo become this...

BEHOLD!

ducks8nc.jpg

Old.

What colour scheme are the ducks using anyway. Orange and green or orange and black?

Karakand

very sad day for those who like the Ducks. As a Ducks/ Sabres fan, I feel very sad to see a cool color scheme and logo become this...

BEHOLD!

ducks8nc.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP, eggplant and jade.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I didn't see it so I posted it.

Anyways,

I'm hearing that it will be Gold and Black.

Bah, oh well atleast Buffalo is going back to blue and gold.

Karakand said:
NO, NOT BLACK.

EVERY ****ING TEAM USES BLACK NOW.

Well at least it's not the early 90s craze of teal.

Besides

Black >>>> purple/green.

It could've been worse. They could've renamed the team to the O.C. Ducks and had orange/blue jerseys with a duck riding a surfboard as the logo :lol

EDIT

As for trading Pronger .... :lol :lol :lol

The guy made both Lidstrom and Neidermayer his b-tches during these playoffs, he's the best defenseman in the world and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Sure I'd trade him ... if there was a package featuring Ovechkin or Crosby on the table, but obviously neither of those guys are going to be availible in a trade.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Does anyone know what came of switching to the new sweaters that were being demo'd at the owners meetings a few months back? Apparently Reebok had come up with something they were trying to push... were supposed to be slimmer looking or something along those lines.

calder

I wouldn't expect them for a while if at all, some ppl liked them but the vast majority of the GMs/presidents who saw them hated them with a passion. Especially teams with traditional jersey's that have stripping along the bottom - any new style jersey that is tucked in the pants (like the prototypes were) would change the whole look of the jersey and a lot of teams are very against that.

dem

"Chris Pronger: Once again, this is a player Keenan acquired in the past. Apparently, Pronger feels that he has served his sentence in Edmonton and should be released for good -- in fact excellent -- behaviour. But he has a monster contract with four more years at $6.25 million and Panthers owner Alan Cohen is not known as one of the league's free spenders. Still, if the Panthers keep Luongo, they will be in the same salary range. "

I really hate Al Strachan.
I would like to **** him in the eyesocket.

calder

Bonus asshole marks to Strachan for sliding in some of his patented anti-NHL and anti-CBA bullshit about how "sadly" now powerhouse teams will be immediately dismantled because of that damn salary cap. Of course that happened before the cap era all the time, and it ignores the fact that some historically stacked teams continued being elite clubs this year, but Big Gay Al doesn't let pesky facts stand in the way of his Goodenow-era PA cock sucking.

But unfortunately, in today's National Hockey League, the off-ice developments are nowhere near as ideal as the off-ice developments.

It must be made clear that the two are not interdependent. An astonishing number of people who should know better seem to think the improved product on the ice was the creation of the lockout.

In fact, the rule changes that made today's game what it is were put forward in February 2004, long before the lockout. If anything, the lockout hindered the imposition of the new game. It certainly did nothing to bring it about -- other than put the players back on the ice.
:lol Good ol' Al. Everyone (should) know that most of the proposed rule changes have been around forever - Mario used to demand an anti-obstruction crackdown once a month pretty much every year from the late '80s on - but the lockout was *crucial* in giving the GMs the time to really study it and the league the clout to push it strongly.

fallout

:lol Does he have any concept of linking ideas?

Al said:
One of the biggest drawbacks of a 30-team league is the infrequency of championships -- one every 30 years on average. So the last thing you want, if you run the NHL, is a dynasty which makes the average team's wait even longer.

So you create a system whereby a franchise can build a great team, but can't keep it intact. That's what we have now.
By "average teams", does he mean teams that can't afford to keep players who develop too well?

Karakand

Orange makes them look like the Halloween squad. :(

This is worse than the time the Hawks schooled us. Worse than when we were known as District 5, even! Where's Gordon Bombay when you need him?

Ummm... 1, The Flyers are orange and black and don't look like Halloween
2, there's virtually no orange in the jersey or logo to speak of. Champagne is the secondary color.

Karakand

Flyers fans would beat the shit out of you if you said that. Fear grips your mind, not logic!

edit: Two teams in SoCal with black as a primary color = brilliant.

It's really not a shock that the Toronto press is hated pretty much everywhere else in Canada.

No offense to Leaf fans ... but Toronto hasn't won jack all in like 40 odd years and they still treat everything hockey wise outside of Toronto like it's the WHA.

Karakand said:
Flyers fans would beat the shit out of you if you said that. Fear grips your mind, not logic!

what

that didn't even make sense.

Anyway I'm a Ranger fan so I hate the Flyers regardless. Stupid Flyers!

spetz

What are the Leafs gonna do with Belfour?

Oh and btw I hope the Sharks don't trade Thornton, he's the reason they have been doing so well, he and Cheechoo dominated the team stat wise during the later part of the season. Bad move to rid of either of them.

aceface

I have to post this, it's too hilarious.
Full article here http://www.theonion.com/content/node/49761

RALEIGH, NC—Only hours after the Carolina Hurricanes won the NHL Championship Monday night in a hard-fought Game 7 against the Edmonton Oilers, North Carolina Gov. Michael Easley mobilized the National Guard to contain over two dozen members of what he described as "some sort of depraved, violent, heretofore unheard-of gang calling themselves the Hurricanes."

"These strange men came out of nowhere with absolutely no warning," Easley said of the Stanley Cup-winning Hurricanes, who emptied garbage cans, overturned vehicles and set them aflame, looted local businesses, and frightened hundreds of citizens out of their sleep. "Nobody had ever heard of them before. No one knows what they want. And nobody knows why they were acting so crazy."

Police chief Jane Perlov is reporting that the NHL club, which was known as the Hartford Whalers until moving to North Carolina in 1997 and has struggled to attract much local attention, "somehow gained access to Raleigh's RBC Center earlier Monday, engaged in some sort of ritualistic violence involving sticks and nets, and then proceeded to drink heavily before heading to their cars."

"We couldn't believe what was happening," said Sam Weber, owner of Playmakers, a Raleigh sports bar. "I still don't understand it. We had a decent crowd here to watch the 1982 North Carolina vs. Georgetown NCAA Championship game on ESPN Classic when out of nowhere a lamppost comes crashing through the front window. Then these huge pasty white guys, all wearing, like, matching sweaters, run in screaming like madmen and holding this giant planter over their heads, which they demanded I fill with beer. They invited all my customers to join them, but we were too shocked, terrified and disoriented to even move, so the gang got angry and stole four of my big-screen televisions."

:lol :lol :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
NHL Award show on tonight for anyone that doesn't know.

The event will be hosted for the 12th consecutive time by Ron MacLean. Presenters will include Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky, recently retired Mark Messier and Canadian-born actress Tricia Helfer, while Manitoba native Tom Cochrane - formerly of the 1980s rock group Red Rider - will perform.

Ugghh.

1980!!!? Hey Gary, how about throwing in a more...I don't know...current band?

maude_flanders.gif

"Won't someone PLEASE think of the image?!!?"

Karakand

Twist the dagger, Mike. :(

Also, where's my alternate logo on the shoulder, Samueli? This is the twenty-first century! Who do you think the Ducks are, the Red Wings?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Carolina's had the cup not even a full week and they already broke it...

You know, seeing Brindamour talk about his life, family ect.., I guess he's not so bad after all, seems like a grounded guy. God I hoped someone would Umberger him after the Montreal series.

So far Jagr takes the pearson, and deservingly so.

Alucard

Banned
These awards are freaking me out. A little too MTV for my tastes. What the hell is this kid doing with Ron Maclean? Waste of time. Get on to the next award already.

aceface

Apparently Ruff won the Jack Adams- very deserving and couldn't have happened to a better guy. Here's to many more years of annoying Calder. :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Alucard said:
These awards are freaking me out. A little too MTV for my tastes. What the hell is this kid doing with Ron Maclean? Waste of time. Get on to the next award already.
I agree about it being a bit too MTV, but the kid was adorable with his kipperstache so I'm cool with that.

As for the Ducks naysayers, I don't think you understand, that airplane looking D is actually a webbed duck footprint.. get it?

Also, Rem was ****ing robbed. Selanne yea, that's great, but REM FN MURRAY comes back from neurological dystonia, plays solid and gets to the damn stanley cup finals and does all of this while LOSING MONEY to insurance just so he can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom