• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
dem said:
holy ****

BLOCKBUSTER
Siren.gif
Siren.gif
Siren.gif

LUONGO TO VANCOUVER

BERTUZZI TO FLORIDA

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169536&hubname=

Not if JFJ has anything to say about it!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mike Works said:
not as much as the city of edmonton apparently :lol
:lol

I can't even get mad about dem's pitiful attempt to bust on my mom - who is apparently white and pretty damn young-looking. :D Nice try, just like the Greasers in game seven. OH WAIT

Guess Prongs wants to catch up with some old friends

lindros_pronger2.jpg

and I can't say that I'm at all surprised at the trade...although I wasn't looking for Bryan Allen to be in the mix. Just as he started blossoming into his own, too. Oh well - bye bye Bert, we loved ya and supported ya but it's time to move on. Hope Iron Mike is more to your liking. I fear Bertuzzi will kill him. :lol

Now what do we do with Cloutier? Might as well send him to Edmonton. :p Can't be any worse.

CSSer said:
yep, blockbuster... wonder if Bourdon is going the other way...
BOURDON IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE SHUT YOUR FILTHY MAW

Luongo is overrated? :| since when? He's one of the best goalies in the league and playing the game. You guys crack me up.
This team has never had a number one goalie, thank the hockey lord for this great trade, for it has delivered an awesome net minder and despatched a kong sized problem.

Reilly

TemplaerDude said:
Luongo is overrated? :| since when?

Um, since he's done nothing in his career? I'll accept the fact that he's an above-average goalie, but he's not elite. He hasen't even signed a long-term deal and could very well walk at the end of this season.

Reilly said:
Um, since he's done nothing in his career? I'll accept the fact that he's an above-average goalie, but he's not elite. He hasen't even signed a long-term deal and coudl very well walk at the end of this year.

He'd done nothing because he has never been on a team that ever had a hope of doing anything. This guy sees more rubber every night than most goalies see in a week. Imagine that in front of a quality defence and a powerful offence.

yodathesoda said:
Kirk Mclean, Brodeur, and most importantly Kevin Weekes beg to differ.

None of those goalies were ever flat out number one calibre goalies. Mclean was never a great goalie, he was just really lucky. Brodeur neither was an excellent goalie. And Weekes may have been good somewhere else but certainly not here :|

dem

i dont see what the big steal was.. Bertuzzi and Allen are obviously valuable players.

All this excitement cause Vancouver got a starting goaltender for once?

dem said:
i dont see what the big steal was.. Bertuzzi and Allen are obviously valuable players.

Out of those two I'll miss Allen the most. He had a lot of precense on the blue line because of his size and grit and even though he didn't fight too much, you knew he was there.
I loved Bert before the beginning of this (or the last) season, but this season proved to me that he was an over paid floater.
I'm glad we got rid of Auld too since his 5 hole is bigger than the rockies.
It is a big steal, Luongo is a premiere goalie.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
dem said:

It was definitely that 6th rounder that Vancouver got

dem said:
It wasn't a steal against Florida- they got a solid goalie, a semi-solid defensemen who has the potential to be pretty good, and one of the best power winger's in the game when he's on his game- which he very well could be in a new change of scenary.

It is an amazing trade (I dunno if I'd say steal) from Vancouver's perspective though. They gave up a goaltender they wouldn't need, a young defenseman for a younger defenseman with offensive upside (which the Canucks will need if Jovo decides to sign elsewhere, whereas Allen's role is more of an Ohlund Lite position), and a power winger that's caused a lot of trouble throughout the lockerroom.

That's priceless coming from somone who's just coming off spooging over Dwayne Roloson for the past two months :D

I can't believe people are saying Luongo is overrated though. How the **** does an early-mid 20('s) year old goaltender playing for the Florida ****ing Panthers facing and stopping the most shots out of any goalie in the league while maintaining a damn good save percentage in the NHL, how does that player become Martin Brodeur's backup for team Canada, become the second best Canadian goaltender (according to Gretzky and co) in the entire world, edging out Marty Turco, who's a great
REGULAR SEASON
goaltender... how does Roberto Luongo do all of that within his first few seasons in the league if he's an overrated goaltender?

God, the Canucks haven't had a bonafide all star goaltender since BEFORE I WAS BORN

This is so ****ing exciting.

TemplaerDude said:
Out of those two I'll miss Allen the most. He had a lot of precense on the blue line because of his size and grit and even though he didn't fight too much, you knew he was there.
I loved Bert before the beginning of this (or the last) season, but this season proved to me that he was an over paid floater.
I'm glad we got rid of Auld too since his 5 hole is bigger than the rockies.
It is a big steal, Luongo is a premiere goalie.
I wouldn't call it a steal, it was an expensive trade and I'm not fond of seeing Allen go either. What's the word on this Krajicek fella? What's his potential?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Nonis himself doesn't even know if Luongo will sign. Looks like Vancouver may have a one rental if they fail to make the playoffs again.

Luongo to sign with Florida in 2007? :lol

MrToughPants said:
Nonis himself doesn't even know if Luongo will sign. Looks like Vancouver may have a one rental if they fail to make the playoffs again.
Nonis would trade Luongo before signing him to a one year deal.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Mike Works said:
Nonis would trade Luongo before signing him to a one year deal.

Nonis was on sportscenter talking about the deal. Nonis hasn't signed Luongo yet and he hopes to sign him long term.

aceface

So who is going to play goal for Florida now, Auld? I guess he's alright. However, I just went from being scared of Florida every time we play them (Luongo would have a great game EVERY TIME) to not really being scared at all. Anyways, good trade for Vancouver, keep Luongo in the west.

I saw the press conference... I'm just saying that he'll sign Luongo to at least, at LEAST a two year deal (hopefully longer)... and if he can't do that, then he'll trade him.

Nonis didn't say this, but it's just common sense. It's not like Luongo needs to prove himself to Vancouver by signing to a one year deal, everyone knows how great he is. There's no point at all in giving up a good young goalie and a good young defensemen (and a potential all star winger) to get an all star goalie for one season right after you missed the playoffs and you're in danger of losing arguably your best defenseman and you just had to fire your coach.

Then again I wouldn't have thought anyone would request a trade from the team he just signed a 5 year contract and made it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with, so who knows.

Sandman42

aceface said:
So who is going to play goal for Florida now, Auld? I guess he's alright. However, I just went from being scared of Florida every time we play them (Luongo would have a great game EVERY TIME) to not really being scared at all. Anyways, good trade for Vancouver, keep Luongo in the west.
You're not scared of Florida? A Roberts-Jokinen-Bertuzzi line is pretty scary to me. Plus they have some other great forwards like Nieuwendkyk, Horton, Stumpel, Weiss, Gratton, and Gelinas. If thier top prospects Kolnik and Olez, have breakout seasons next year, I think they have a shot at a playoff spot.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
luongo isn't a proven goaltender. just remember that.

he hasn't played with a good team in front of him so it's yet to be decided imo. This could either be an absolutely incredible team if he pulls through or absolutely disastrous

Luongo is awesome. He just never had a supporting cast worth a damn.... not to say he has one now, but I would think Vancouver is a step up....?

My Bolts aren't looking too hot at the moment, but this at least secures us a 3rd place finish ahead of Florida, and Washington.

I can't believe they pulled the trigger. Jeez.

Sandman42 said:
You're not scared of Florida? A Roberts-Jokinen-Bertuzzi line is pretty scary to me. Plus they have some other great forwards like Nieuwendkyk, Horton, Stumpel, Weiss, Gratton, and Gelinas. If thier top prospects Kolnik and Olez, have breakout seasons next year, I think they have a shot at a playoff spot.

They have some good forwards, but it all starts with goaltending.
We have some good forwards and we just barely backed into the playoffs with our pathetic goaltending....

Barrage

Stop me if you've heard this one.

What's the difference between George Bush and Chris Pronger?
George Bush invaded a smelly, underdeveloped land to find Oil. Chris Pronger is leaving one to avoid it!

Ahh, but seriously, my condolensces to Lungo for not making the playoffs for another year. As usual, 'Nuckums will hype the arrival of 2006 Team Canada's third best goaltender as the second coming, only to be vehemently dissapointed.

I see Guerin for Pronger on the horizon!

calder

Wow big trade. I don't see either side "stealing" shit, as much as the Canucks needed a true #1 (and Luongo is a great goalie :( ) it's easy to see Bertuzzi totally turning his game around and becoming an elite power winger again in Florida. Auld is a good goalie and still pretty young, Allen for Krajicek could be a saw with Allen being a solid #2 stay at home dman for a decade with Krajicek having a bit more offense.

I think both teams got better, both teams gave up quite a bit and both superstars in the trade have some question marks but should flourish in their new homes.

****ing canucks. :p

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Holy Mother****ing crap Luongo to Vancouver, crap damn shit, how am I suppose to make fun of them now. I don't see how anyone can say he is overrated, he gets shelled every game and yet still has good stats and look how many wins he piled up with a young team in front of him.

And those saying why didn't JFJ do something you make me laugh. What the hell does Toronto have in tradeable assets that can equal Bertuzzi, Auld and Allen. The best I can think of is #13, Steen, Rask and Colaiacovo. And it is not like we can afford to do that as that would take away our best forward, defense and goaltending prospects.

NinSoX

Banned
The fact is JFJ is not doing ANYTHING. I don't think anyone is disappointed that Luongo didn't come to Toronto. Then again, as you mentioned, this team as nothing.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
NinSoX said:
The fact is JFJ is not doing ANYTHING. I don't think anyone is disappointed that Luongo didn't come to Toronto. Then again, as you mentioned, this team as nothing.

I think he is waiting for McCabe to make up his mind. The only thing that upsets me is the fact that Domi's ass has not been bought out yet.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
R_GILL said:
I think he is waiting for McCabe to make up his mind. The only thing that upsets me is the fact that Domi's ass has not been bought out yet.

McCabe told howard berger that it's a personal medical issue that's holding up the contract process and should be resolved by "draft day"

well draft day is tomorrow!

so the bastard better hurry up and sign :)

and remember! This is trade time - something that the Leafs CAN'T really do because they'd be bargaining their future. Starting on july 1st - that's when free agency begins

NinSoX said:
The fact is JFJ is not doing ANYTHING.
I could see him trading possibly a 2nd round pick or something similar to that for Dan Cloutier (granted I think Tampa would probably give up more).

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
DopeyFish said:
McCabe told howard berger that it's a personal medical issue that's holding up the contract process and should be resolved by "draft day"

well draft day is tomorrow!

so the bastard better hurry up and sign :)

and remember! This is trade time - something that the Leafs CAN'T really do because they'd be bargaining their future. Starting on july 1st - that's when free agency begins

I expect McCabe to sign too, that is a great contract for him, I am not even sure if he could get that on the free market. Really I don't expect much from free agency. All I expect is we will sign McCabe; sign another defenseman to be our #3 whether that be McKee, Mitchell or Frank Kaberle; trade Tellqvist for something, trade Antropov for something and than see if we can either sign or acquire a goaltender. I doubt we will be any better next year than we were this year. Maybe in a couple of years we will be contenders after our farm system is restocked and Pogge and Rask are ready for the NHL.

Mike Works said:
I could see him trading possibly a 2nd round pick or something similar to that for Dan Cloutier (granted I think Tampa would probably give up more).

I think Tampa is pretty much the place for him, Giguere and Nabokov cost too much, and who knows how much Legace and Gerber would cost them in free agency as a few teams do need goaltending. Maybe Vancouver can get Modin and throw him on their with the Sedins. And who the hell is Detroits goaltender for next year as I doubt Legace comes back there.

You expect the Leafs to re-sign McCabe, sign Willie Mitchell, then trade Tellqvist and Antropov?

I don't even know how to reply to this. Can a non-Leaf fan reply to this? I feel like I'm trapped in the Da Vinci Code, but without the knowledge in historical background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom