• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

corroboration of inline mic support on the system itself is nice

now we need bluetooth headset support

and onboard software that can run the dumb app

Kthulhu

It's on the back, but I'm confused to whether they meant that they're adding full USB 3.0 support for the back port at a later date or are releasing a different dock altogether.

It seems like the former, at least I'm hoping it is :/

I assume the OS won't support the full speed at launch similar to the SDXC card slot.

So they definitely do have an audio jack supporting headsets.

Which makes it all the more likely that their online architecture is half-baked, and that's the source of the bat-shit-crazy mobile app idea.

It suggests that the mobile app is solely for system-level party chat and lobbies, and compatible games will handle matchmaking and voice chat their own way for each game, which is how it was done on the Wii U.

Oh, we did find out for sure that triggers are digital? Same for Pro Controller?

If so, is GCN VC essentially debunked, or is there a reasonable workaround?

It wouldn't be impossible to work around it, a lot of Gamecube games had 2 trigger inputs: pressing it down all the way or pushing it down slightly. For Super Mario Sunshine they could map pushing it slightly to the Switch's L button (Gamecube only had one Z button on the right). Wouldn't work for everything but it could for many games.

Menitta

Oh, we did find out for sure that triggers are digital? Same for Pro Controller?

If so, is GCN VC essentially debunked, or is there a reasonable workaround?

Doubt it. Most of the GameCube's high profile games use analog in ways that wouldn't work with a workaround. Like Mario Sunshine does not work without analog triggers.

maxcriden

It wouldn't be impossible to work around it, a lot of Gamecube games had 2 trigger inputs: pressing it down all the way or pushing it down slightly. For Super Mario Sunshine they could map pushing it slightly to the Switch's L button (Gamecube only had one Z button on the right). Wouldn't work for everything but it could for many games.

Ah, that's a good workaround. Hopefully we see something like that implemented. Thanks Jonneh!

Doubt it. Most of the GameCube's high profile games use analog in ways that wouldn't work with a workaround. Like Mario Sunshine does not work without analog triggers.

This was my concern, but I thought Jonneh's fix might work. Is there a situation in Mario Sunshine where one of two pre-determined fludd levels wouldn't suffice? I'm probably misremembering, haven't played the game much in quite a while.

Nerazar

Lol, I didn't mean to come off as brash. I need to work on my wording. But yeah, it's pretty okay on n3DS but it always feels a bit *too* dim for me. Then again, I'm used to playing everything (handheld related) on max brightness.

Oh no, you were not brash and you answered my question succinctly - I have to work on my wording as well, then. ;)

No, I just really like that feature. Nintendo seems to take some good parts from mobile phones or tablets. But I will probably also just play at max. brightness unless I have to stretch the battery life.

Kthulhu

So software update to enable 3.0 and sdxc?

Why can't they include it in launch? Especially the sdxc.

Is it possible the Switch was rushed in some capacity? That would certainly explain quite a bit of the confusion surrounding it.

the excuse me is more about the "how do you upgrade usb 2.0 to usb 3.0, when it's not a software but a hardware limitation? I think.

It just means the OS or drivers aren't ready but they aren't willing to delay the console for what are small issues in the grand scheme of things.

Nerazar

Is it possible the Switch was rushed in some capacity? That would certainly explain quite a bit of the confusion surrounding it.

I wouldn't call it "rushed" per se, but Nintendo will offer a very basic OS package at launch and is of course developing more and more features while the manufacturing continues. It's not the first time that happened.

I just hope that their servers will survive the updating ;)

My guess is much like the Wii U it's shipping with a day 1 update being developed while production has already begun. So they can meet the date they said and get a little extra time on the other features they've promised for day 1 (on the software side for OS).

So they definitely do have an audio jack supporting headsets.

Which makes it all the more likely that their online architecture is half-baked, and that's the source of the bat-shit-crazy mobile app idea.

I think they were originally trying to push that side of it as a feature, whilst having other options. It may be down to a game by game basis as well.

Somnid

USB 2.0 at the start? Anyone buying this thing at launch is crazy. It's clearly not ready.

What were you going to plug into it? Note that full USB 3 speeds aren't even possible since it's already using that bus for HDMI. It's only useful for HDDs but it doesn't support that at launch because there are a bunch of usability issues.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It just means the OS or drivers aren't ready but they aren't willing to delay the console for what are small issues in the grand scheme of things.

I know, it was not my question >> I just tried to mediate :D

USB 2.0 at the start? Anyone buying this thing at launch is crazy. It's clearly not ready.

crazy? You can clearly see that it's a blue usb 3.0 port. they just "unlock" it fully later. why should that be a deal breaker?

Day 1 software updates are relatively common, no? I mean, this thing was being produced back in November, and it's not too hard to believe they've been working on the firmware at least a bit since then.

GODREALMS

Neo Member
There's no ethernet connection on the Switch, and I thought the USB 3.0 on the back would be where you could use an adapter for wired internet.

What the if you can do Voice Chat through a game, but if you want to create a lobby to voice chat with your friends only, then you need the app for that.

wonder why the joycons are bluetooth 3.0 rather than 4.0/4.1

Probably wasn't needed for them to perform optimally. Or possibly could have raised the price? I'd be lying if I said I fully understood bluetooth, but it's probably one of those things that didn't really matter to Nin.

Kthulhu

I wouldn't call it "rushed" per se, but Nintendo will offer a very basic OS package at launch and is of course developing more and more features while the manufacturing continues. It's not the first time that happened.

I just hope that their servers will survive the updating ;)

I just hope the update doesn't take so long that Mega64 makes a video about it.

Again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hold on - it takes 3 hours to charge when sleeping (most efficient) - but the battery only lasts 3 hours in Zelda. So if you're playing Zelda and need to charge it, does that mean it won't actually fill the battery, it'll just hold it at the current charge level?

I thought USB C would have allowed faster charging than that?

I just hope the update doesn't take so long that Mega64 makes a video about it.

Again.

Tbqh, I hope it doesn't have bricking issues with the day 1 patch.

Again.

Edit: This actually was from people unplugging their consoles while updating, after looking up the articles again I found this out. This is now hilarious instead of Nintendo incompetence.

What were you going to plug into it? Note that full USB 3 speeds aren't even possible since it's already using that bus for HDMI. It's only useful for HDDs but it doesn't support that at launch because there are a bunch of usability issues.

You realise some USB C implementations can support up to 40 Gb per second bandwidth.

HDMI won't be using even half of that.

So they mention that replacing the battery will be a paid service...

Shouldn't that be covered by the warranty? I mean, unless they're suggesting the service is for something other than the battery dying.

R00bot

Another thing worth noting

I wish Nintendo had somehow got or replicated the technology used for OnePlus' Dash Charge, as it is insanely fast and does not slow down when the phone is being used. Utilizing dash charge they could have got the charge time to under an hour and a half whether you were using it or not.
Oh well.

bomblord1

Banned
Hold on - it takes 3 hours to charge when sleeping (most efficient) - but the battery only lasts 3 hours in Zelda. So if you're playing Zelda and need to charge it, does that mean it won't actually fill the battery, it'll just hold it at the current charge level?

Couldn't it just not run from the battery while charging and instead use AC power?

I don't know a lot about how stuff like this works but that seems plausible considering connecting to the dock via the same port should do the same thing.

I wish Nintendo had somehow got or replicated the technology used for OnePlus' Dash Charge, as it is insanely fast and does not slow down when the phone is being used. Utilizing dash charge they could have got the charge time to under an hour and a half whether you were using it or not.
Oh well.

Could have something to do with heat. I know most quick charge solutions don't charge the battery all the way to prevent overheating and considering the size and chipset that may have been part of it.

Charging and powering the device from the wall are two separate functions. It should be able to charge the battery while it supplies power to run the device, though it will charge in more than 3 hours.

This is a really beefy battery though, so even quick charging could take a while.

Kthulhu

It's possible that the battery is very large or that sleep mode isn't as very power efficient. My guess is the latter. I'm sure charging will be much faster when turned off.

Probably wasn't needed for them to perform optimally. Or possibly could have raised the price? I'd be lying if I said I fully understood bluetooth, but it's probably one of those things that didn't really matter to Nin.

the big advantage of 4.1 is low energy, they stay connected and drain much slower.

Oh well.

that is fast charging for a battery of that size though...

Sapiens

What are the odds of that stand not being broken off when these things end up in the used section at GameStop in 2 years?

Somnid

wonder why the joycons are bluetooth 3.0 rather than 4.0/4.1

4.0 adds BLuetooth LE which is useful for simple devices that only need to send or receive small packets of data at certain intervals (heart monitor, watch, smart toothbrush). Standard bluetooth that supports data streams (headphones, controllers) is still covered by 3.0. 5.0 which has extra range and bandwidth was just finalized and chips are just now rolling out.

Top Bottom