• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

Nerazar

Tbqh, I hope it doesn't have bricking issues with the day 1 patch.

Again.

Really? Bricking? ôo

Was is widespread throughout their devices? I survived every launch so far without having a brick update. However, I don't think I would instantly go online with the Switch to download that update: Zelda doesn't need online, so I don't need to waste my time watching a download bar. ;)

Lucifon

Sleep mode confirmed? Hoped it would have a sleep mode but don't think we knew that it would before this, or did we?

3 hours charge is quite some time though...

Why is OS building and using modern hardware effectively so damn difficult for Nintendo

I mean the internals of this thing are quite good and capable of much more

Hopefully they can push updates out quick to maximize on its potential

Kurt

Just want to say (maybe it was already clear)

There were some complaints when using the kickstand while charging the device.
It seems that there isn't a problem doing that? ...

Sleep mode confirmed? Hoped it would have a sleep mode but don't think we knew that it would before this, or did we?

3 hours charge is quite some time though...

Pretty sure they talked about the sleep mode in the initial presentation. If not then, it was definitely mentioned in the treehouse stream. And again this is a pretty huge battery for a device this size. 3 hours could even be taking quick charging into account.

bomblord1

Banned
It's possible that the battery is very large or that sleep mode isn't as very power efficient. My guess is the latter. I'm sure charging will be much faster when turned off.

It's 4310mAh so yes it is quite large. By comparison the Iphone 7 is 1960mAh which is less than half.

I read on GAF that it might be possible to play in handheld mode while charging and have your charge run out while playing, even while plugged in. Any truth to that based on official charge rate?

corroboration of inline mic support on the system itself is nice

now we need bluetooth headset support

and onboard software that can run the dumb app

Without any of the controller options having mic jacks, I'm still not sure I believe that you'll be able to voice chat outside of the app. It would seem incredibly clunky if Nintendo expects everyone to run a long audio cord across their living room. Yes, bluetooth headsets exist, but given that both of the competitors use audio jacks in the controller, most premium gaming headsets these days are wired, not bluetooth.

4.0 adds BLuetooth LE which is useful for simple devices that only need to send or receive small packets of data at certain intervals (heart monitor, watch, smart toothbrush). Standard bluetooth that supports data streams (headphones, controllers) is still covered by 3.0. 5.0 which has extra range and bandwidth was just finalized and chips are just now rolling out.

I thought 4.1 or 4.2 introduced LE for constant stream? or is that 5.0?

Menitta

Ah, that's a good workaround. Hopefully we see something like that implemented. Thanks Jonneh!

This was my concern, but I thought Jonneh's fix might work. Is there a situation in Mario Sunshine where one of two pre-determined fludd levels wouldn't suffice? I'm probably misremembering, haven't played the game much in quite a while.
That solution would work in theory but I personally think it would make the game much worse. Having the two methods of using Fludd being the same button is much easier than having a 2nd input to stop and shoot. Though I'm biased as fuck because I constantly go back and play Mario Sunshine.

Edit: Regardless of what I think, that rumor of GCN virtual console is most likely false. The 3 games that were listed, Sunshine, Melee, and Luigi's Mansion, all use analog in some way and I doubt they'd start with 3 games that would require changes to controls.

I read on GAF that it might be possible to play in handheld mode while charging and have your charge run out while playing, even while plugged in. Any truth to that based on official charge rate?

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a standard AC outlet should be able to supply power to the device to run it while also charging the battery. Laptops work the same way.

bomblord1

Banned
Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a standard AC outlet should be able to supply power to the device to run it while also charging the battery. Laptops work the same way.

Doesn't the dock have to do this via the same port? If not doesn't the mean the system would die while docked?

If it can do it via that port while docked why couldn't it via the same port while not docked?

It seems to make perfect sense to me for it to be capable of charging separately while supplying power directly to the components.

Lexxism

Do we have any info what's the dimension of the console? This is important as I want to buy a cellphone or tablet stand.

So they mention that replacing the battery will be a paid service...

Shouldn't that be covered by the warranty? I mean, unless they're suggesting the service is for something other than the battery dying.
I see it now. It says paid replacement. Not sure where it says service.

13ruce

Banned
So they mention that replacing the battery will be a paid service...

Shouldn't that be covered by the warranty? I mean, unless they're suggesting the service is for something other than the battery dying.

Should be free in the standard 2 first years at minimum.

I really wish we could know how much power the AC adapter outputs ahead of time. I wanna get a charger for portable play but the one they sell is too bulky/expensive for easy travel. Worst case we'll just find out at launch I guess.

Bazry

Do we have any info what's the dimension of the console? This is important as I want to buy a cellphone or tablet stand.

Says:

102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.

tkscz

Honestly having some kind of a hub to store games and picking out what you want to put on the go would work really well in this case.

Yeah but I'd hate doing it most of the time and would probably often not do it, but the choice of it would be nice to have and when Nintendo adds external disk support (which is probably when they'll add USB 3.0 support) I'll probably end up using one.

Phawx

Guess I'll have to wait for ifixit to see how hard it is to open to eventually replace the battery.

Really? Bricking? ôo

Was is widespread throughout their devices? I survived every launch so far without having a brick update. However, I don't think I would instantly go online with the Switch to download that update: Zelda doesn't need online, so I don't need to waste my time watching a download bar. ;)

I *thought* it was an issue with the Wii U at launch, but upon looking up old articles I have to face palm. It was apparently because people unplugged their consoles while updating. Which is always a no-no. So nevermind.

Though AFAIK any console can brick from an OS update if something goes wrong.

wiibomb

I would assume that it is a matter of the Amps provided by the charger, if the charger doesn't give enough as the console consumes, it might happen.

it won't happen on the official charger, though as they console itself would be worthless while playing docked, it needs at least to provive enough to charge it while also paying

tkscz

I *thought* it was an issue with the Wii U at launch, but upon looking up old articles I have to face palm. It was apparently because people unplugged their consoles while updating. Which is always a no-no. So nevermind.

Though AFAIK any console can brick from an OS update if something goes wrong.

Was about to say this. The update took for-fucking-ever, so a lot of people would assume the update froze and they uplugged the Wii U to restart it, which would brick the system. IIRC the first articles that went out were just claiming they were bricking, but didn't bring up the fact that people were just unplugging them.

I would assume that it is a matter of the Amps provided by the charger, if the charger doesn't give enough as the console consumes, it might happen.

it won't happen on the official charger, though as they console itself would be worthless while playing docked, it needs at least to provive enough to charge it while also paying

Yeah, this is possible with any device with shoddy chargers. I remember trying to charge my PSP with a USB charging cable for it. It charged, sure, but it couldn't charge fast enough while playing. So I frequently just had my PSP shut off on me.

Just want to say (maybe it was already clear)

There were some complaints when using the kickstand while charging the device.
It seems that there isn't a problem doing that? ...

To me it still seems impossible to charge the unit while using the stand. What makes you think otherwise?

Was about to say this. The update took for-fucking-ever, so a lot of people would assume the update froze and they uplugged the Wii U to restart it, which would brick the system. IIRC the first articles that went out were just claiming they were bricking, but didn't bring up the fact that people were just unplugging them.

The bolded is probably why I was unaware of the issue. Even a Nintendo fan like myself was under the impression Nintendo somehow fudged the update. (Other than long install times).

Strange how they'd leave something like that out. I remember being scared to install that update once we got ours. For no reason apparently.

Jonboy

That solution would work in theory but I personally think it would make the game much worse. Having the two methods of using Fludd being the same button is much easier than having a 2nd input to stop and shoot. Though I'm biased as fuck because I constantly go back and play Mario Sunshine.

Edit: Regardless of what I think, that rumor of GCN virtual console is most likely false. The 3 games that were listed, Sunshine, Melee, and Luigi's Mansion, all use analog in some way and I doubt they'd start with 3 games that would require changes to controls.

Did we ever get official word on whether or not the pro controller uses analog or digital triggers?

I would be shocked if the GCN rumor isn't true. It wasn't just a random obscure rumor. Eurogamer heard it from 3 separate sources and it was then picked up by Kotaku and others.

Lexxism

Says:

102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Just want to make sure. W x L x H right? So about 4" on the width. Hmm. So the cellphone stand will do then.

IIRC, these potential issues were raised because some people thought that without the dock cooling the battery, the power draw from the power source would have to be reduced when charging in tabletop and portable mode to prevent damaging the battery.

However, I think this is unlikely to be the case (or be an issue) as at all of the preview events (including the one I attended which was 5+ hours long) they had switches charging in tabletop and portable mode (I.e, not sat in the dock) and they didn't run out of battery, nor were they switched out with different units at any point during the day.

That said, this may depend on what cable is being used or what you are using to charge the device (Mains, power bank etc).

Menitta

Did we ever get official word on whether or not the pro controller uses analog or digital triggers?

I would be shocked if the GCN rumor isn't true. It wasn't just a random obscure rumor. Eurogamer heard it from 3 separate sources and it was then picked up by Kotaku and others.

Every hands on impression I've seen said digital. No official confirmation though. Believe me, I want them to be wrong.

JimboJones

What are the odds of that stand not being broken off when these things end up in the used section at GameStop in 2 years?

Lol, my first thought, gonna be GB/GBC/GBA battery covers all over again. Hopefully there just a simple clip on thing and can be easily replaced.

HOME Menu
From the HOME Menu, you can start games and select game settings. In addition to managing friends and user accounts, you can also change your system settings here.

Another reference to managing friends on the SYSTEM, not solely through an app. Where are the people in the huge app thread? You think they'd be happy to hear this

This system has 2 USBs on the front so it makes perfect sense for the GCN VC to work with the Smash GCN adapter. Feels like that should cover it just as well as the pro controller would; either way you have to drop cash on an extra controller and a lot of people still have GCN controllers hanging around or available for cheap.

I'm floored that a Nintendo system will have wireless AC. Even if it is 2017 and they should definitely have included it...it still seems so un-Nintendo.

Lebon14

Well for one it says the console will ship with USB 2.0 only. USB 3.0 will be added in a future update. Other than that it just gives a good overview for all Switch features.

No, it ships with USB 3 but will function as USB 2 until a future update. That's how I understood it anyway...

Lucifon

Pretty sure they talked about the sleep mode in the initial presentation. If not then, it was definitely mentioned in the treehouse stream. And again this is a pretty huge battery for a device this size. 3 hours could even be taking quick charging into account.

True it's not too bad I guess when looking at comparable products with batteries of that size.

Every hands on impression I've seen said digital. No official confirmation though. Believe me, I want them to be wrong.

Impressions said that the Joycon triggers had a very small amount of "give" before they clicked, like a few millimeters. It could be possible that they've implemented a new type of analog which can work with this amount of give, though it's unlikely as people have said the pro controller's triggers are just buttons with no give.

Another reference to managing friends on the SYSTEM, not solely through an app. Where are the people in the huge app thread? You think they'd be happy to hear this

Somehow I missed that. Yeah this should definitely clear that up. My thread on this is now vindicated!

Dystify

No, it ships with USB 3 but will function as USB 2 until a future update. That's how I understood it anyway...

Yeah that's what I mean. It can't be taken any other way too since they would need to physically replace the USB 2.0 slots on each Switch.

Top Bottom