• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

Just finished animating the evolution of Nintendo Controllers, ending in the Switch.

Click it for High Res :)

Fantastic work! You should try a version with the neon joy-cons if that wouldn't be too hard to adjust, they might fit the color palette of the overall animation a little better, plus neon >>>> grey fite me irl

PSGames

I'm not sure if this question has been answered but don't see it mentioned in the OP. Will the Switch support Bluetooth headphones by chance?

Cogo

Neo Member
Audio output: Supports linear PCM 5.1ch

Oh, no. It means that no Dolby or DTS 5.1 encoded output is possible, which results in the same issue as with Wii U: If you connect the console's HDMI cable to the TV and want to use HDMI Audio Return Channel for sending the sound to a receiver, you will only get 2.0 stereo sound.

Dystify

Fantastic work! You should try a version with the neon joy-cons if that wouldn't be too hard to adjust, they might fit the color palette of the overall animation a little better, plus neon >>>> grey fite me irl

How about this?

8S0LK3v.gif

Being so thick it's disappointing the battery is smaller than an iPad mini's :\

well ipad mini 4 has a bigger screen and resolution than the switch so even with a slightly bigger battery, under the same stress as a switch game, would probably last alot less than the switch

the first gen ipad mini with the similar screen resolution to the switch had 4400 mah battery

lenovox1

Being so thick it's disappointing the battery is smaller than an iPad mini's :

The system-on-chip in the tablet has a small heatsink and the tablet also has a small fan. It also has to be comfortable to hold in a landscape orientation for a long period of time. It was always going to be thicker than an iPad Mini regardless.

They could have got more battery life from the controllers by using Bluetooth 4.0. Not sure why they would use 3.0 in this day and age. It's 2017.

I refuse to believe for a second that Nintendo won't do game-specific or genre-specific Joycons. Like Gamecube ones or with a d-pad.

It's definitely happening.

Regiruler

Where is the discussion that the eShop is keeping it's name? There was a small bit on the UI released, but I don't see it anywhere and I'm somewhat lost.

Where is the discussion that the eShop is keeping it's name? There was a small bit on the UI released, but I don't see it anywhere and I'm somewhat lost.

I'm confused as to what you're asking.

Yes, the eShop is keeping it's name. Not sure what exactly there is to discuss about that.

zelas

Communication features: Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1 (TV mode only. A wired LAN connection is possible through the use of a commercially available wired LAN adapter.)
This sounds very troubling.

Including Bluetooth 4.1 on a console that connects to 3.0 controllers is interesting.

i think the switch includes both a bluetooth 4.1 antenna and a 3.0 exclusive for the joycons

though the mention of the bluetooth 4.1 only in dock mode, makes me think that the 4.1 antenna may be in the dock and not the switch handheld

Mandelbo

The wording on SDXC cards makes it sound as if it's a day one update rather than something that'll come further down the line, like USB 3.0 support - which is nice, if true.

i think the switch includes both a bluetooth 4.1 antenna and a 3.0 exclusive for the joycons

though the mention of the bluetooth 4.1 only in dock mode, makes me think that the 4.1 antenna may be in the dock and not the switch handheld
What's it used for though? I can't think of anything they officially announced yet. Do any headsets use 4.1?

we dont know yet, and bluetooth 4.1 should work with any other bluetooth device that uses still uses the old versions
I'm aware it's backwards compatible. I'm just pointing out they specifically put 4.1 in the console but 3.0 in the controllers. It implies they intend it to be used with some other kind of Bluetooth device.

MDave

It's written poorly and confusingly, but it means the Ethernet adapter can only be used in TV mode. The brackets and the punctuation needs to be redone.

Vents seem too large for a device used by children. I hope there is a software setting to override brightness.

Support for SDXC and USB 3 being patched in at a later date doesn't strike me with confidence.

Man I'm really pessimistic about GameCube VC now... I really wanted it ):

I guess I'm glad I never sold mine, gotta see if I have all the cables yet

What's troubling? USB ethernet adapters are cheap as heck https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYT481C/

Splatoon lags a ton for me over wireless but it plays flawlessly via ethernet. Quite a lot of devices require ethernet adapters these days, tons of laptops have ditched the port.

I agree it would have been nice for the dock to have an input but it doesn't ruin anything.

Wait... did any generic one work on Wii U? I always thought I needed a specific Nintendo one

Man I'm really pessimistic about GameCube VC now... I really wanted it ):

I guess I'm glad I never sold mine, gotta see if I have all the cables yet

Wait... did any generic one work on Wii U? I always thought I needed a specific Nintendo one

some generics will work and some wont, usually you can find out through amazon reviews or questions

Dives

Neo Member
yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I was hoping I could use a 3.5mm cable to run the audio to my computer speakers, but now it sounds like I need to get an HDMI splitter.

Maybe Nintendo can patch the ability in later.
I read that to mean that 5.1 PCM is only available over HDMI. The 3.5mm audio port is of course analog and should still work docked. I mean, it would be crazy to disable it while docked. Nintendo would have to go out of their way to code analog audio port disabling, and for what purpose?

Malus

I read that to mean that 5.1 PCM is only available over HDMI. The 3.5mm audio port is of course analog and should still work docked. I mean, it would be crazy to disable it while docked. Nintendo would have to go out of their way to code analog audio port disabling, and for what purpose?

Fingers crossed that you're right.

Posted this is another thread too but this one seems more active.

With the official specs up on the Nintendo website did anybody else notice the Bluetooth support?

It says the Switch console supports Bluetooth 4.1 but the Joy Con use Bluetooth 3.0. Could this mean that they are supporting 4.1 for headset use?

Why bother mentioning support of 4.1 if all of your controllers use 3.0 unless you have another use in mind?

timnich

Is there a speed limitation when using USB ethernet adapters? I have gigabit internet, it would really stuck to be limited because of Nintendo's stupid decisions.

ReyVGM

Has there been confirmation that one's account can be used to log-in in any console, or are they still tied to the hardware?

Top Bottom