• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as previously, seeing good pictures of the device makes me want one more. i don't know why that is working so well on me.

The home button lighting up when a notification is received and the audio jack allowing microphones makes me more confident that the app isn't mandatory. We're 1 month from launch, we really need a hardware direct.

maxcriden

I still wonder if the triggers are analog and not digital. It seems like all of the information we have gotten so far is just from journalists and hands-on impressions saying they don't "feel" analog, but the Radio Free Nintendo podcast #505 around the 74 min mark is talking with a Switch developer (Syrenne McNulty) and that person clearly says that the triggers are analog, so have we gotten any word from other Switch developers? Could the buttons just be pressure sensitive?

Here is a link to the podcast:

Radio Free Nintendo #505

She later said she was mistaken due to being tired.

Ok, thanks for the update :(

Aw, I was hoping you were right. :(

71M404KvsxL._SL1500_.jpg

Neat idea! That would be a good solution also. I think that Nintendo would also offer some (alternate) control scheme using the default joycons as well, though.

TS-08

as previously, seeing good pictures of the device makes me want one more. i don't know why that is working so well on me.

It's a great piece of tech. I think even people who aren't particularly interested in it would agree with that.

It also says 20hrs battery life for Joycons, I think this is new.

Nah, we knew that already.

Joycons - 20hrs
Pro Controller - 40hrs

What is the goddamn deal with the voice chat nonsense?

I am going to assume that if you want to experience online play just like it is on Wii U, then no app is required.

If you want to create a party outside of a game and use party chat, then that's what the app will do.

It also says 20hrs battery life for Joycons, I think this is new.

We've known 20 hours for the Joycons and 40 for the pro controller for a while. It was very surprising and positive, but GAF was interested in being negative at the time so it may have been drowned out.

What is the goddamn deal with the voice chat nonsense?

With all the info we have now, I think it's pretty likely that the app is only necessary for system-level party chat and lobbies. Each game will (likely) handle its own matchmaking with friends and voice chat its own way, just like MK8 and Smash4 did on Wii U.

So essentially, this retains all the functionality of the Wii U, but they are adding parties (like PS4 and XB1 have by default) via an external smartphone app. Which is a weird and dumb decision (not having it on the console itself) but this is still an improvement over the Wii U.

tim1138

Has there been any word on whether or not you can have the dock in a horizontal position? It simply won't fit in my entertainment center in the vertical orientation they've been showing.

Pineapple

Glad to see the Switch is 802.11 AC compliant. I guess with a modern Nvidia SoC you would expect this, but you never know with Nintendo.

Nintendo will release Gamecube joycons which will be required for the GC virtual console games. I'm sure that will go down well lol.

They won't be required but there will definitely be joy cons with the GameCube button layout.

They'll probably come out the same time as Smash, which means the GC Virtual Console will come in around that time as well.

Of course, the GameCube controller adapter will also be compatible with the dock.

Oh, we did find out for sure that triggers are digital? Same for Pro Controller?

If so, is GCN VC essentially debunked, or is there a reasonable workaround?

they would have to do a workaround even if they were analog, the gcn triggers arent like the ps4 or xbox triggers

Raitaro

I might be going blind but there don't seem to be on/off buttons on the joy-cons or are there?

With portability in mind, I've been wondering how easy it would be to accidentally switch them on in a bag for instance, meaning that they'd potentially be empty by the time you want to use the Switch.

Two other questions that came to mind are:
- why are there still Wii-style sync buttons needed when other wireless controllers like on PS4 don't use those? I've always found using these a hassle of sorts, as sometimes they simply wouldn't connect on Wii.

- If you can charge the joy-cons while attaching them to the Switch, will the process work in reverse as well in the sense that they could either provide additional back-up power to the Switch or even drain power from it when they run low?

AdanVC

I don't give a damn about the lack of features at launch, the Nintendo Switch is a BEAUTIFUL piece of hardware and it's beautifully designed too. Either if it was mainly designed by NVIDIA or Nintendo, both desserve big praise for such a well crafted piece of tech.

A true massive upgrade from the awful/bulky looking Gamepad of Wii U, that's for sure!

Phoenixus

So as someone that doesn't know very much about usb3, how is it an improvement over 2? I'm guessing read speeds, but would it help a usb-powered external hard drive at all?

I might be going blind but there don't seem to be on/off buttons on the joy-cons or are there?

With portability in mind, I've been wondering how easy it would be to accidentally switch them on in a bag for instance, meaning that they'd potentially be empty by the time you want to use the Switch.

- why are there still Wii-style sync buttons needed when other wireless controllers like on PS4 don't use those? I've always found using these a hassle of sorts, as sometimes they simply wouldn't connect on Wii.

- If you can charge the joy-cons while attaching them to the Switch, will the process work in reverse as well in the sense that they could either provide additional back-up power to the Switch or even drain power from it when they run low?

I believe it was confirmed on the treehouse stream that you can also pair a set of joycons simply by attaching them to the system once. So, if you don't want to use the button, you can just slide them on, then slide them right off.

rekameohs

Banned
Has there been any word on whether or not you can have the dock in a horizontal position? It simply won't fit in my entertainment center in the vertical orientation they've been showing.
Yes, that's why the cutout in the dock flap has the notch in the side - so the wires can feed out the side. You can lay it horizontal and put the Switch screen face up.

the ps4 way requires either connecting by via usb or if you are using it on pc by wireless , holding down the ps and share button

lenovox1

The HDMI port would be in a very awkward position if you tried to lay the dock on its front or back. Hmm. I wonder if there will be a third party solution.

I still can't believe this thing has only 32gb. Why Nintendo is so ankward?

Honestly, it makes sense. The people who will need more than 32gb are the power users. You've gotta consider the fact that the vast majority of people who buy these things, and I'm not talking about core gamers, I'm talking about people who wander into a Walmart to buy something because their kids have been begging for it after seeing a TV spot, are not going to be downloading large e-shop games all the time. They'll probably be the folks who buy anywhere from 2-5 games a year, and they'll likely buy those titles at retail. To Nintendo, it's not worth raising the price of the system to give those users storage they won't use.

For the power users who are going to be buying a lot of Eshop titles, it's best to just give them expandable storage and put in as much as they want.

Lucifon

I'm assuming that SDXC 'update' will be available on day one...? Doesn't seem to mention it being at a later date.

Top Bottom