• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am, literally, 7 hours away from buying a PS3.... Do I need to know something specific? I am planning on buying this:

PS3 120GB
MGS4
Uncharted 2

and........

No idea now. GOW3 might get picked up though I haven't played the prior ones. Demon Souls doesn't interest me, I am a pussy :lol . Valkyria looks cool but I don't know if it's my type. My sister LOVES FPS so I can pick between MAG, Resistance 2 and Killzone 2. Which should I choose? Warhawk I don't like so sorry for her =P. Wipeout HD seems like a future get.

Tell me GAF!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Buy a HDMI-cable. Can't be stressed enough.

If I remember correctly Wipeout HD is one sale now on the US store so pick it up.

That reminds me. I was really upset that you couldn't watch the cinematic movies/cutscenes separately on MGS4. They were that good. If you're getting a PS3, I would highly recommend saving some cash for the PSN games.

thaOwner

Relix said:
I am, literally, 7 hours away from buying a PS3.... Do I need to know something specific? I am planning on buying this:

PS3 120GB
MGS4
Uncharted 2

and........

No idea now. GOW3 might get picked up though I haven't played the prior ones. Demon Souls doesn't interest me, I am a pussy :lol . Valkyria looks cool but I don't know if it's my type. My sister LOVES FPS so I can pick between MAG, Resistance 2 and Killzone 2. Which should I choose? Warhawk I don't like so sorry for her =P. Wipeout HD seems like a future get.

Tell me GAF!
Don't get Resistance 2. I just purchased it and after an hour or so in, I have no interest in playing it again at all. Fucking terrible shooting. You are better of picking either MAG or KZ2. If you still want to try Resistance 2 and live in the US, shoot me a pm and I will sell you my copy for $20 shipped.

kpeezy

Banned
Jeels said:
Can the PS3 play MKV files?

Edit: Nevermind, read the OP, they can't. :(

If you have the file stored on your computer it can stream MKVs to the PS3; it just can't play them from the PS3 harddrive. Look at PS3 Media Server.

stuminus3

I could probably find this out quickly with a little digging, but can someone give me a brief heads up on exactly what was wrong with Resistance 2?

I loved what I played of the first game, and the second game looked pretty good in trailers. What is it that made everyone so angry?

Playing single player only, by the way (maybe some co-op).

lebo03

Neo Member
Sorry to bump this thread but I didn't know what thread this belongs in. PS3 Slim owners, what sound does your disc drive make when ejecting? Just got my Slim a month ago, and ejected a disc for the first time today. Makes a weird clicking/gears moving type noise, which sounds different than any other drive noise I have ever heard. Anyone comment as to what their drive ejecting noise is?

DeadGzuz

Banned
stuminus3 said:
I could probably find this out quickly with a little digging, but can someone give me a brief heads up on exactly what was wrong with Resistance 2?

I loved what I played of the first game, and the second game looked pretty good in trailers. What is it that made everyone so angry?

Playing single player only, by the way (maybe some co-op).

Nothing other than missing the narration and weapon wheel. In many ways it's a better game than the first.

lebo03

Neo Member
The noise (that worries me) that mine makes is more of a click click click.....whhhhhrrrr and then the disc comes out. The thing is, it plays games/discs fine and sounds completely normal when inserting a disc. Trying to decide whether or not to contact Sony, not a lot of info online to go on about this. Thanks GAF

Deadly

My friend offered me his fat 40GB PS3 (DS3 included) for 180$+2 games that I want (FFXIII and Resonance of Fate). It was 50% serious 50% joking. His usual offer is 220$+Heavy Rain too. If he's actually serious should I get it? I'm not that eager to play so I could wait but I doubt the slim is going to get cheaper. Any Pros and Cons I should really know of?

Kodiak690

Neo Member
Anyone know if there is a solution to PS3 Media Server (or any other media server) not working with a Qwest DSL router? I left my Linksys router at my brothers house, but it's frustrating not being able to use such a great feature with my PS3. I don't really want to go buy another router specifically for this.

If there's not a solution, I'm tempted to just buy an external HD for it.

Jeels

Didn't want to start a thread just for my problem, so deciding to post here, I'm not a new owner, have had a PS3 for almost a year now. The problem is, all of a sudden, my internet does not work at all.

background info:
-netgear router
-it's been working just fine up until now
-"The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out".
-I've even reset my ps3 settings to default, didn't work
-fiddled around with my own router's settings and couldn't find anything abnormal
-the laptops, cellphones, wii, and ds all pick up wifi in my house just fine
-those same items also pick up my neighbor's wifi just fine as well, my ps3 won't.

Rody

Hey, guys. I'm finally getting a PS3 (I know!) and this is the closest thread I could find to answer my questions. I haven't kept up with the news within the last year or so, including E3, TGS, etc.

1) Are there any rumors or indications that a new version will launch in the near future, with more features, GBs, etc.?
2) Any word on a price cut to come? When was the last one?

Thanks!!!

A new slim model with a 320GB HDD was released this week in Europe. There has been no recent rumors about any price drops, but there will probably be some nice bundles during the holiday season. AFAIK there hasn't been a large price cut since the $299 PS3 Slim launch last September.

thcsquad

Rody said:
Hey, guys. I'm finally getting a PS3 (I know!) and this is the closest thread I could find to answer my questions. I haven't kept up with the news within the last year or so, including E3, TGS, etc.

1) Are there any rumors or indications that a new version will launch in the near future, with more features, GBs, etc.?
2) Any word on a price cut to come? When was the last one?

Thanks!!!

I have not heard of any new SKUs or rumors of a price cut. It got a major price cut a year ago, and Move is coming out so I wouldn't expect another price cut until late 2011. The bundles out right now with the best value are probably Move bundles, if you're interested in that. There will probably be some sweet deals on Black Friday if you can wait that long, but they might just be the Move bundles so if you're not interested in Move at all I would pick up a PS3 now and not hold out hope for anything because it could be a while.

Just got a 160 slim model, wasn't sure I got the right one since it still looked pretty huge to me.
I just downloaded the folding@home stuff and am wondering how I join the GAF team and also how to change my name from "ps3".

Also, are there any free......well anything, backgrounds etc in the store? I'm completley new to ps3.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Incitemaybe said:
Also, are there any free......well anything, backgrounds etc in the store? I'm completley new to ps3.

Most wallpapers and themes are free. 99% of the dynamic themes require payment ($2 or less).

There are no free games right now but the demos are free. If you want to purchase a game you can either use your credit card or a top-up card (I use this method).

Finally got a ps3 slim (white 320 GB) and now I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to download stuff from the PSN (games, demos, etc) on a PC and transfer them to a PS3?

2. Which PS3 game has the BEST graphics?

3. I'll be using a 32 inch HDTV, is the difference between 720p and 1080p that significant?

CSSer

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
Finally got a ps3 slim (white 320 GB) and now I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to download stuff from the PSN (games, demos, etc) on a PC and transfer them to a PS3?

2. Which PS3 game has the BEST graphics?

3. I'll be using a 32 inch HDTV, is the difference between 720p and 1080p that significant?

1. No.
2. Most people say it's a toss up between God of War 3, Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2.
3. I think your tv needs to be 40+ inches before benefiting from 1080p.

okay, thanks for answering.

Also, in relation to my first question, can you download stuff from the psn and leave them in the background? meaning I can play games while I'm downloading stuff?

CSSer

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
okay, thanks for answering.

Also, in relation to my first question, can you download stuff from the psn and leave them in the background? meaning I can play games while I'm downloading stuff?

Yes, background downloading.

Top Bottom