• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

master15

I finally jumped into this generation, with a slim. Enjoying the hell out of the machine, from home to PSN store. I borrowed Grand Theft Auto 4 and Uncharted from a friend and making my way through both.

At the same time I bought a new Television; Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV** (LN40B540)

I really want to ensure my television is calibrated correctly. I was playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and the game was so dark I couldn't see this staircase right in front of me. I tried using the free calibration screen on bluray film in the OP but is there a website which tells me specifically which levels/numbers I should set my various levels?

Thanks

Vlodril

I finally jumped into this generation, with a slim. Enjoying the hell out of the machine, from home to PSN store. I borrowed Grand Theft Auto 4 and Uncharted from a friend and making my way through both.

At the same time I bought a new Television; Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV** (LN40B540)

I really want to ensure my television is calibrated correctly. I was playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and the game was so dark I couldn't see this staircase right in front of me. I tried using the free calibration screen on bluray film in the OP but is there a website which tells me specifically which levels/numbers I should set my various levels?

Thanks

Have you set RGB full range to Limited? Its under settings>display. It made blacks almost impossible to see in for me. Couldnt see inside the staircase in GTA4 or in the Caves in Uncharted until i turned that off.

Jswanko

Just got a PS3 over the weekend and the user system has me going crazy.

I made a User called "John" while on vacation with no internet and put about 5 hours into RaC. When I got home I was trying to figure out the PSN system when I apparently linked "John" with my old junky gibberish PSN account.

I was bummed that Id lose my Trophies but whatever, I had like 5. So I copied the save and moved it onto a new John User linked to a new PSN account with a good name. Booted up RaC a second ago and it says I cant load the save because it's not mine...ahsajsjahs.

Any chance of being able to salvage my game save?

patsu

patsu said:
Someone should update the OP. Demon's Souls is now available in NA.... not only Japan/Asia.

Besides MLB2009, I think R&C:ACiT should be in the recommended games list as well. PLEASE !!

My PS3 done broke.

Is it worth it to spend the 150 bucks on a repair or is the PS3 slim worth spending 150 more? How are the reliability reports?

Novella

Banned
Hey, I'm going to buy a PS3, but I may also buy a 360 later.

So which multiplatform games are clearly better (or identical) on PS3?

I know earlier in the generation a lot of multiplatform games were better on the 360. The PS3 version of Assassin's Creed is supposedly terrible. I heard the same about The Orange Box, and now people are reporting that the 360 version of Bayonetta is the way to go.

But I've also heard that Burnout: Paradise is better on PS3.

Part of the reason I've waited so long to get a PS3 is I've got it in my head that PS3 versions of multiplatform games are almost invariably inferior to the Xbox versions. If this is a complete myth or only partially true, enlighten me.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Novella said:

I know earlier in the generation a lot of multiplatform games were better on the 360. The PS3 version of Assassin's Creed is supposedly terrible. I heard the same about The Orange Box, and now people are reporting that the 360 version of Bayonetta is the way to go.

Part of the reason I've waited so long to get a PS3 is I've got it in my head that PS3 versions of multiplatform games are almost invariably inferior to the Xbox versions. If this is a complete myth or only partially true, enlighten me.

Most of what you hear are wild exaggerations, the differences are in the noise for 90% of the games. AC1 is fine on the PS3. There are some clearly bad ports, like Bayonetta, Ghost Busters, Splinter Cell, FEAR...

Novella

Banned
Can you give me a list of the bad ports and a list of the games that are better on PS3 than they are on the 360?

For example, I've heard over and over that Burnout: Paradise is best on PS3. Any other examples like this, where the PS3 version is clearly superior?

ymmv

Banned
Novella said:

The differences are negligible for just about all games these days. My primary gaming console is the PS3, the 360 is strictly for the exclusives. I wouldn't be doing that if the differences were really that big. Except for a few isolated cases (Bayonetta) the differences are usually so small you wouldn't notice them except in direct comparison videos with a description of what to look for (because otherwise you wouldn't even know what the fuck those guys at Eurogamer are going on about). Now you'll find comparisons where the PS3 actually has the better graphics fidelity. If you're a multiconsole gamer, it's a toss of the coin which version to get.

Orange Box is an example of how misleading those comparisons often are. The PS3 port is perfectly fine, there's a slight "problem" where the autosave will lead to framerate hiccups for a few seconds in some locations but if you believed the internet the game was completely unplayable.

patsu

Novella said:
Can you give me a list of the bad ports and a list of the games that are better on PS3 than they are on the 360?

For example, I've heard over and over that Burnout: Paradise is best on PS3. Any other examples like this, where the PS3 version is clearly superior?

I don't track this usually, but Batman Arkham Asylum is another one. The CoD franchise is supposed to be the same too.

Vinci

Danish
So my PS3 is currently sitting in the closet, till Christmas I imagine... at which point, I will be able to do fun things with it. I believe it's the bundle with LBP (yay) and R&C (eh?). Titles I plan on purchasing include the following:

Flower
Demon's Souls
Fat Princess

After that, probably the Blu-Rays for UP, STAR TREK, and PLANET EARTH.

Beyond that...? I haven't a clue, but I'm looking forward to it.

comedian

Of course you're waiting for MAG.

Trying to find Valkyria Chronicles and releasing your inner general. Finding Killzone 2 for cheap and enjoying the hell of it. Salivating at the beauty which is Uncharted 2.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Novella said:

Clearly better? I'm not going there, it's all about parity, meaning you cannot discern the differences without being told or reading the analysis. You want to avoid bad ports, the rest don't really matter - just buy which is cheapest or whatever other criteria you have (MP friends list, controller, etc.).

I typically buy PS3 games just because I have friends to lend to or play with, I only have one friend with a 360 and he also has a PS3. So if I bought all of my multi-platform games on the 360 I could not trade or lend them to friends. If a port is a mess on the PS3 I just play the 360 version, not many of those that I want to play anyhow.

Vinci

Danish
comedian said:
Of course you're waiting for MAG.

Trying to find Valkyria Chronicles and releasing your inner general. Finding Killzone 2 for cheap and enjoying the hell of it. Salivating at the beauty which is Uncharted 2.

Valkyria, I've considered. I won't touch Killzone 2. Sorry. Doesn't interest me. Uncharted didn't do much for me, but UC2 might be worth renting and seeing if a purchase down the line is a good idea.

MAG, I'd have to play it first.

So GAF,

I just bought a 120 gig SLIM, and I know that the new consoles don't support PS2 emulation, but did they by chance leave PS1 emulation enabled? Can I buy PS1 games and play them?

PS - Uncharted is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. HOLY FUCK!!!!

SamBishop

Banned
"Now what?" Now, we take voice lessons together and form a rockin' musical act that flips that fancy pants Jason Mraz on his ass.

permutated said:
So GAF,

I just bought a 120 gig SLIM, and I know that the new consoles don't support PS2 emulation, but did they by chance leave PS1 emulation enabled? Can I buy PS1 games and play them?

PS - Uncharted is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. HOLY FUCK!!!!
Put a PS1 disk in and see if it works?

ymmv

Banned
permutated said:
So GAF,

yes-you-can.jpg

TTG

I got my ps3 slim in the mail today along with Killzone and Infamous(the amazon deal). Very good first impressions. I've had a 360 forever now and lets just say the feeling of good craftsmanship is welcomed. I also like how they don't try to nickel and dime you every step of the way. :lol

Anyway, where is the menu to check for how much space I have left on my hdd and the option to install games? I loaded up Killzone and it did not ask. Also, has there been any news about offering ps2 classic games for download? I would love that.

Loudninja

permutated said:
I don't have any PS1 games, I was thinking about buying some if the emulation is still active in the SLIMs :)

Yes all the Ps3 systems still have PS1 BC,you would have heard about it already if it didn't ;)

jett

D-Member
I guess this is the correct thread to ask this? :p I use headphones when I game, and I'm looking to buying a mic for my PS3. Of course, I need JUST a usb microphone, not a headset. Does anyone know if standard usb desktop microphones work correctly on the PS3?

Rubezh

I'm thinking about getting the Planet Earth collection on Blu-ray. I never got a chance to watch it on TV and I'm kind of interested in seeing how good it can look in HD. I'm just not sure about the re-watchability value as I see it as a tech demo piece.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Raist said:
Q. What is this games sharing I keep hearing about?
A. As part of their DRM system, Sony allows the activation of a PSN account on up to 5 systems at a given time. As a side effect, you can share your account with other people. It can be considered as a bad practice by some people, but Sony does not forbid it. Note that a few games (Warhawk, GT5P) have a 24h restriction limit i.e. if you play a shared game on a system, you won't be able to play it on another one for 24h.
Things to keep in mind:
- Do NOT save your CC infos on the PS Store, unless you completely trust the people who have access to your account. Likewise, people who share your account have a complete control over it. They can change your email/password and completely screw you.
- If your system dies, you might get it disabled by Sony, but it can be a PITA.
- If you sell your console, remember to deactivate your account yourself in the Network section.
- As you have to create a new user account on your PS3, do NOT delete it even if you do not plan to access the linked PSN account anymore, as this will prevent you from playing previously DL'd games.
See here for more infos.

Question about this... If you use up all 5 of your slots, (IE let 4 of your friends play your games), will deactivating one of the systems free up a slot?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
h3ro said:
Damn. That seems a little... incredible. And broken. How does Sony allow this? I'm playing all of my friend's shit for free with zero consequence. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dacvak said:
Damn. That seems a little... incredible. And broken. How does Sony allow this? I'm playing all of my friend's shit for free with zero consequence. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
You need to buy him lunch.
Rubezh said:
I'm thinking about getting the Planet Earth collection on Blu-ray. I never got a chance to watch it on TV and I'm kind of interested in seeing how good it can look in HD. I'm just not sure about the re-watchability value as I see it as a tech demo piece.
How can you even ask this? Planet Earth is fucking INCREDIBLE.

Dacvak

Hazaro said:
You need to buy him lunch.

How can you even ask this? Planet Earth is fucking INCREDIBLE.

I second this. Part of the reason why I bought a PS3.

Just picked up a 250gb slim today. Loving it so far. Only got Uncharted 1 and MGS4 with it, looking forward to finding some good deals on Amazon and ordering some more.

I keep seeing all of this talk about RGB and what not. Should I just leave those settings where they are at default or is it worth it to mess with them?

Also, this is something that's quite different from the 360 that's bugging me - downloading a demo then having to wait for it to install. Does the 360 just download executable files, or is the install time on 360 masked within the download time?

Not a big deal, just an oddity to me. decided that I'm going to get Resistance 2 and the first R&C game. Can't decide between Motorstorm or Motorstorm Pacific Rift, though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think Microsoft owns the patent for install-free downloads. Big updates take like 30 seconds on 360 but about 30 minutes on PS3, no joke. Anyways get Motorstorm PR, I just got it from the Best buy sale and it's great.

Firestorm

Rubezh said:
It's like $40 for the set if you order from Amazon.co.uk. I didn't find it that interesting but I've lent it out a couple of times so I feel I got my money's worth through other people enjoying it :lol

Are any of the Final Fantasy games worth buying on the Playstation Store? Its been a while since I've played them and I imagine there wasn't anything added aside from not having to switch discs.

Beyond what was listed in the OP, is there anything else I should be looking for? So far I have Wipeout HD, Uncharted, Infamous, and Killzone 2 and shortly I'll have MGS4. I'd rank them in the following order:

1. Infamous
2. Uncharted
3. Wipeout HD
4. Killzone 2

I've traded Uncharted for MGS4. I don't really care for Killzone 2 at all but I played online once and it seemed much better. I may keep it just to play online.

Anything else?

Just go a $20 PSN card. Bought Flower, it looks incredible and I'm really looking forward to playing it with my girlfriend.

Can't decide on a second game, though. I would put the remaining $10 towards Wipeout HD, but I also bought Motorstorm Pacific Rift at the Best Buy sale today so I'm holding off on getting another racing game.

I'm not all that big into twin stick shooters, although Super Stardust HD is very pretty from the demo. Tower defense games are also not for me. What's the best Pixel Junk game?

So in short, any suggestions for a $9.99 PSN game?

Ardorx

Banned
Okay PS3-GAF, I need a USB headset that:

-Isn't expensive
-Doesn't have a crazy long cord
-Has good sound and voice quality

Darkpen

Banned
Ardorx said:
Okay PS3-GAF, I need a USB headset that:

-Isn't expensive
-Doesn't have a crazy long cord
-Has good sound and voice quality
you usually can't go wrong with any PC USB headsets. Logitech ones seem reliable.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This thread needs to be stickied for a couple of weeks what witht he new PS3 owners and all from Xmas.

Ardorx

Banned
Darkpen said:
you usually can't go wrong with any PC USB headsets. Logitech ones seem reliable.

I was thinking about the Plantronics .Audio 655 since it's been said that it makes a great entry-level podcast headset (and I was in the market for one of those too).

AmericanNinja said:

It's like you can't read or something. I don't want a bluetooth headset. They're incredibly uncomfortable and I'll be using the headset on my PC as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ardorx said:
It's like you can't read or something. I don't want a bluetooth headset. They're awful.

You have not tried this one. Its better for me than my Logitech USB one I use for PC and used for PS3. The one that came with UT2k4 years ago and I used for countless games. Which I thought was excellent. But for the PS3, the official one is like people are sitting next to you on the couch. While people using crappy headsets sound like they are in a closet full of pillows.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Another recommendation fir the official PS3 Bluetooth one. Sounds really good and a pc dongle these days can be purchased for dollar. Practically the se quality as a decent USB set and
infinitely more convenient.

Top Bottom