• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Yeah, I got Rag Doll for free also and I would have been really mad if I paid anything for it.

I'd recommend Flower. Watch a video of it first, though. If that seems like it would be fun, definitely buy it. It's unique, and if you think it looks good, the idea is worth investing in even if the game didn't last me all that long (maybe 2 playthroughs). If you have young kids, it's an instabuy.

My kids and nephews all love it.

Norante said:
Remove the crappy TVersity reference and replace it with the mighty PS3 Media Server:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

At least note PS3 Media Server is high quality. I use it over TVersity for streaming videos from my HDD, but TVeristy has a lot of additional features that PMS doesn't have.

Returners

Plat:
LittleBigPlanet

3rd Person:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted
Infamous

1st Person Shooters:
Killzone 2
Resistance 1

Racing:
Burnout Paradise
Motorstorm 2

PSN:
Super Stardust HD
Shatter
Fat Princess
WipEout HD
Flower

Raist

Banned
_leech_ said:
You should clarify that the hard drive needs to be SATA. Still a lot of PATA drives floating around, especially if people try and find the absolute cheapest thing available.

Good point, didn't think about that. Done, thanks :)

I'm adding a home section as well, credits go to Chebigans for writing it!

Maximus.

3 years late arent we :p I like the idea for this thread, can keep me upto date on what is a must have haha.
im not an internet noob but still cool idea
:D

Guy Legend

People always leave out the big third party games on PS3 as if everyone buying a PS3 already has an XB360. Games like COD4, GTA4, Midnight Club LA, etc.

Jal

Full Games

Motorstorm PR
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Little Big Planet

PSN

Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD
PixelJunk Eden

kikanny

Retail:
Uncharted
Infamous
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
LittleBigPlanet
Killzone 2
MGS4
Ratchet & Clank

PSN:
Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD
Pixeljunk Series

Raist

Banned
beast786 said:
Can you also please add information about Folding @Home aka Playstation lifestyle ..

Pretty Please

Ah, yeah, originally thought about that one, and then forgot to add it. Will write a short description asap.

kassatsu

Banned
Q. What about games/movies?
A. All PS3 games (disc or PSN) are region free. PSone classics released on the PS stores are region free as well. PSone and PS2 games are NOT region free. This can be an issue for DVDs and BRDs as well (even if a lot of BRD movies are region free themselves).

PAL PSone Classics don't work on all NTSC HD sets. I know Speevy has this problem when trying to play some games he bought from the EU store.

Big B

eh I don't know if this is allowed but this Something Awful post has the most in-depth pictures/information on import games. Stuff like trophies, languages, etc. Can you put it up, OP?

As for games:

PSN: Magic Ball, Bejweled, Pixeljunk, Shatter, Fat Princess.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You should reccomend that people do not post to comment on other people's picks, but instead edit their own posts for the first few pages. That way newcomers get as many comment free lists and suggestions all together.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Do the world a favor and don't buy the shitty Metal Gear game. Uncharted is all you need kids! Also if you have cash buy LBP, R&C, Fat Princess, and Infamous. Good shit.

tass0

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 4 - A must buy for PS3 owners. An epic story, returning characters, mysteries answered and all knots tide in this breathtaking finale.

tass0

Banned
Pelydr said:
Do the world a favor and don't buy the shitty Metal Gear game. Uncharted is all you need kids! Also if you have cash buy LBP, R&C, Fat Princess, and Infamous. Good shit.

gtfo you pos

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Also, everyone should own MLB 09 The Show. You should buy it even if you hate baseball. The game is that good.

Raist

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Good thread. Really should be one for all the systems.

You should add in the Mac-PS3 streaming for us users smart enough to not run MS Windows ;)

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Also, no PSP/PS3 remote play info?

Cool stuff. I hate Macs, so I didn't know any good program :p Thanks.

I don't have a PSP so I can't really write anything on this topic, maybe someone will help.

RobertM

Guy Legend said:
People always leave out the big third party games on PS3 as if everyone buying a PS3 already has an XB360. Games like Battlefield:Bad Company, Saints Row 2, Burnout, etc.
fixed

Beowulf28

If any of you new PS3 owners are looking for a good multiplayer game try out Warhawk. Fast paced and fun plus it still has a very large community.

Acid08

Banned
Pelydr said:
I wish I could vomit on you.

noah111

Still Alive
Pelydr said:
Pelydr
mediocrity at its best
(Today, 08:48 PM)
Reply | Quote

Raist

Banned
kassatsu said:
PAL PSone Classics don't work on all NTSC HD sets. I know Speevy has this problem when trying to play some games he bought from the EU store.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the PS store section, but might as well put it in the BC infos. Cheers.

OWNERS OF A FAT PS3: if you have a hot room keep the ps3 laying horizontal. it supposedly exhausts internal heat better when in this position as opposed to standing vertical.

also: what the hell's amatter with you having a hot room? STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

Raist, great thread.

I think maybe you should add a section for functionality that is little known but some people may find entertaining.

Life With Playstation:
A sort of RSS reader/visualizer that shows an image of the globe and news updates from around the world.

Photo Viewer:
PS3 has a comprehensive photo viewing utility available to download on the firmware. It has some great pictures, such as generating 3Dish cards and printing your pictures on them as a sort of scrolling visualization, the ability to sort the photos by color, or mood, and all sorts of neat stuff. Great for family gatherings.

Printer Support:
PS3 can interface with certain Canon printers and will allow you to print out the pictures stored on the systems HDD. This is hella useful
not really

Remote Play:
The PS3 can interface remotely with your PSP system over the internet. After syncing your PS3 with your PSP unit you can use your PSP to remotely start up your PS3 from anywhere you have a connection. You can then stream movies and music from your PS3 to your PSP (and even over your Media Server if it's running), as well as play some games.

Folding@Home:
Once mocked as the only thing a PS3 was good for, it still provides a great way to throw some support in the ring for some important research.

As far as games go, here is what I would recommend
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea 3
Killzone 2
Uncharted
MGS4
Little Big Planet
Folklore
Heavenly Sword (only if you can find it dirt cheap, I got it free)

PSN:
Flower
Super Startdust HD
Fat Princess
Everyday Shooter
Crash Commando (totally awesome)
Pixel Junk Monsters
Pixel Junk Eden

I tried to post only exclusives there.

Edit:
Fuck me I left out Wipeout HD

Kittonwy

Banned
Raist said:
Q. I want more GBs. Is that possible?

Itz possible with KILLZONE 2 GB.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Pics:
Demon's Souls - Action RPG set in a somewhat Dark world. Open but organized in design with what I think is the best ARPG gameplay out there. Lengthy and has New Game Plus
Uncharted - Likable characters and plenty of shooting, not the longest title but many find it very replayable. Beautiful visuals and score.
LittleBigPlanet - Charming and entertaining. Comes with plenty of levels and plenty more online, quality of many user levels is really fantastic. [1-4 players online/offline] [Mic/Text chat].

Other great titles:
Metal Gear Solid 4 - GAF 2008 GOTY, go play it. :D
Infamous - Well paced and action packed.
Valkyria Chronicles - Unique strategy combat. Control every one of your units personally, all of which have a class, likes, dislikes, advantages, and disadvantages. Characters are generally funny and entertaining.
Killzone 2 - Gunplay, Atmosphere, and Graphics are all really great.

PSN:
Flower - Short but sweet and very memorable. Very unique atmosphere through well done motion controls, beautiful visuals, and excellent music.
Wipeout HD - Easily capable of being a disc game, plenty to do. Visually stunning, several speeds of gameplay and AI difficulty levels. Out of this world photo mode.

AndyD

aka andydumi
tanod said:
Note about Home.

Installing the app reserves a minimum of 3 GB of HDD space.

In an upcoming update you can choose the cache level 3-12 to allow for less loading if you cache more. I hope it brings it to a much more seamless snappy interface.

Acid08

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Lots of good exclusives. Just steer clear of piles of shit like MGS4 and Heavenly Sword.
Pimpbaa
Official Forum Cocksucker
(Today, 07:06 PM)
Reply | Quote

Bolded for emphasis.

Unicorn

WipEout HD is one of the best games overall this gen, and the fact that you can get IT and it's expansion all for 30 bucks makes it the best bargain this gen as well.

Marvelous game.

Top Bottom