• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Month of PS4 sales in China beats 8 months of Xbox One sales (Rumour)

joecanada

Yes it is.

Someone was going on about how 1% of the population of China is 13 million and so the Xbox One needed to sell to just 1% to outsell PS4 worldwide.

The reality is that sales will never be that high in China.

What's worse is that the reasoning some put forward was centuries of Chinese resentment towards Japan as a reason they wouldn't buy Sony despite a two second google search showing Chinese consumers had no problems with Honda or say a sony tv lol

Javin98

Banned
Finally! I've been dying for sales numbers in China. While I was expecting 100K for the launch month, 73K in slightly more than a month is still quite good considering the state of the console market in China. When you think about it, it's almost on par with the PS4 sales in Japan in April. And this doesn't include the grey market. PS4 looks like it's on to a good start.

Toki767

It could be worse. It's probably like 1 month of PS4 sales is equivalent to 2 years of Xbox One sales in Japan.

Is that hardly surprising? No? When it comes to brand recognition China is on the same boat as Japan. The actual surprising thing is that Xbox One actually have some sales with that atrocious launch.

Mr Moose

2222_zpstunyvdwi.jpg

in b4 1% of China

LOL

SerTapTap

Woof, cool stuff if true. It really feels like they did a great job at least looking from the outside. Seems like a decent selection of games at launch considering the restrictions (surprised Guilty Gear made it) and it seems to have mostly avoided region locking of doom.

How's the price all things considered though? I don't really have a concept for who's buying/able to buy. Wasn't expecting it to be as successful as it seems to be.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
And we will all end up playing f2p games:(

I think that as the middle class in china rises the market for packaged retail titles will grow, so who knows, maybe there will be some interesting things coming from china, now that they actually have a supported console in the region.

Man, look at the Vita. In one month it sold as much as 2.3-ish months of the Xbox One. That's a success story in my book.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think that as the middle class in china rises the market for packaged retail titles will grow, so who knows, maybe there will be some interesting things coming from china, now that they actually have a supported console in the region.

We can only hope. I want my well made wuxia RPGs,preferably without the bad balance often found in those 90s Taiwanese pc games.

Well at least the xbox one is outselling the 360 in China! ;)

That might not even be true since the 360 would have been sold on the grey market since it was launched. The console being hacked probably means it has its own grey market.

That might not even be true since the 360 would have been sold on the grey market since it was launched. The console being hacked probably means it has its own grey market.

Well since we don't have grey market numbers at all it's moot.

OFFICIAL (rumor) NUMBERS! :lol

SerTapTap

It's equivalent to $466. But that doesn't mean much tbh.

It's price is 2899 RMB which is actually quite good all things considered. Could have been a lot worse.

I meant compared to cost of living--something a standard family could pick up as a once every few years sort of expense (that seems to be the strategy for the US), a toy for the independently wealthy, something in between?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Well since we don't have grey market numbers at all it's moot.

OFFICIAL (rumor) NUMBERS! :lol

Lol...Hope we get some kind of official numbers eventually.

Next-gen remake of Condor Heroes Trilogy & Smiling Proud Wanderer, BELIEVE!

lXgfz.jpg

Sadly the art work will probably look more like the Japanese inspired artwork that you see in many Chinese games. Or some mix of Korean and Japanese game art aethestics.

Sadly the art work will probably look more like the Japanese inspired artwork that you see in many Chinese games. Or some mix of Korean and Japanese game art aethestics.

Well, current Chinese game aesthetics nowadays are either a slightly different style of the Omega Force Musou style design, or Korean/Japanese style.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Well, current Chinese game aesthetics nowadays are either a slightly different style of the Omega Force Musou style design, or Korean/Japanese style.

I would really like to see more games from Chinese developers that have a more unique aesthetic.Less copycats and more original content.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well at least the xbox one is outselling the 360 in China! ;)

Whilst I know you're kidding, it's actually a good point to bring up because there are a lot of misconceptions.

Yes consoles have been banned for 15 years+ but consoles do sell in China. It's not as big as the PC or mobile gaming market of course but the PS2 sold a ton of units through grey market in China, and at its peak the Xbox 360 was selling hundreds of thousands of units per year on grey market.

Console gaming has always had it's userbase in China and consoles like PS2 and 360 were popular because of cheap software or hacked software/hardware.

Yeah, I remember seeing this in a previous thread. Game looks stellar, hope it somehow magically gets localized.

Me too :)

Didn't Sony say they are looking to add 30 retail titles by the end of this year?

That's right. Both Sony published, third party published and Chinese developed/published games are part of the list.

Top Bottom