• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONM: Sonic Boom New Info (Wii U/3DS)

Zalman

I remember playing Sonic Heroes back in the day and really hating it. Is it widely regarded as a 'good' Sonic game?
Sonic Heroes is one of those mixed ones. It's not nearly as bad as what came after it, but it's definitely not one of the best either. Personally I enjoy it for what it is. The theme song is the best part of that game though, not gonna lie.

Village

You're crazy man, Shadow the Hedgehog is ungodly levels of broken and poorly thought out in ways that exceed 06, and I consider it the worse game. Heroes meanwhile is IMO closest to a good 3D Sonic game they got before Unleashed (though the glitches and a number of super janky elements and poor decisions drag it down to absolute garbage tier, I feel like it may have actually been decent with some more polish).

I can play and complete shadow, its jank. But there are plenty of things in that game that can be made better. Its disappointing.

The thing in sonic 06 that could have been made better were already incorporated later into better sonic games. While bad, it contributed to better things.

I find now redeeming value in heroes, its just a bad game.

KJRS_1993

Hopes are buoyed by the fact that the Graphic Designers from Jak and Daxter, the script writer from Uncharted, and the animator from Spyro and Resistance are working on the game.

and Sonic can't really go any lower. At least the guys from Big Red button have worked on big title games, even if their roles aren't exactly "Level Design" or anything like that

Maybe - but personally, I just don't think this kind of game works any more, no matter who's working behind it. If the people who actually made the franchise can't work out how to make it work properly, I'm not sure who else could.

The fact the Sonic Cycle even exists and is an on-going joke shows that the franchise is a constant disappointment to its fans.
Is a shame really. Time to put the hog down I think.

But we'll see.

Tuck

I think a lot of people looking at this game are going to be terribly disappointed.
There's been such a long string of mediocre games, why do people still give this franchise a free pass and an extra attempt at relevance? :(
Oh for gods sake, still with this shit? Sonic has been fine since unleashed introduced the day levels. Lost world was seemingly like it or hate it, I'll admit, but this is from a completely different developer anyways.

I enjoy Sonic so I'll keep following this game but I just can't see it coming out and being anything other than the usual Sonic game that looks good, plays good enough for the most part, but could really have used another six months in development.

KJRS_1993

Oh for gods sake, still with this shit? Sonic has been fine since unleashed introduced the day levels. Lost world was seemingly like it or hate it, I'll admit, but this is from a completely different developer anyways.

Dude, so much passive aggressive. Chill your beans.
I, personally, have not found any need to play a Sonic game since before the 06 one. That's just me.

Them opinions and that. Now go wipe your underpants, it's okay.

WillyFive

The fact the Sonic Cycle even exists and is an on-going joke shows that the franchise is a constant disappointment to its fans.
Is a shame really. Time to put the hog down I think.

But we'll see.

The Sonic Cycle hasn't been a thing since Colors came out almost 5 years ago. The only people still talking about that are those that haven't cared about a Sonic game since Bush was president. Which is understandable, since Sonic games back then we're truly horrendous, but I don't feel that what you're talking about is really relevant this decade.

I, personally, have not found any need to play a Sonic game since before the 06 one. That's just me.

Well there yours problem. You come into the thread like the crazy old man that thinks the USSR will still blow up the world.

GooeyHeat

Two of the strongest titles, Adventure and Heroes?

Even with the caveat "in recent years", Colors and Generations both trounce Heroes and pull ahead of Adventure 1, though I still rank Adventure as the 3D Sonic to hit the most aspects of the classic 2D games, and if the sequel expanded on its ideas properly instead of taking three of its gameplay styles and making all of them worse and making the plot a moronic tumor on the series instead of building and expanding lore that was already there.

Man SA2 pisses me off. Good thing its Chao garden was so great.

Heroes, though, jeez. I suppose if you like repetitive "combat" and characters on ice, it's cool.

As for the info, I understand what they're saying; there's more varied gameplay than just "finish levels", and there is a team mechanic. These are things I can get behind in theory, and I'm gonna give Big Red Button the benefit of the doubt on execution, since it has some good people there and is also not Sonic Team.

Lernaean

Banned
I usually hate it when western devs pick up classic japanese titles, but for some reason i'm somehow hyped for this one. I could say 'cautiously optimistic', somehow got a good feeling.

KJRS_1993

The Sonic Cycle hasn't been a thing since Colors came out almost 5 years ago. The only people still talking about that are those that haven't cared about a Sonic game since Bush was president. Which is understandable, since Sonic games back then we're truly horrendous, but I don't feel that what you're talking about is really relevant this decade.

Well here's hoping for everybody else that I'm proved wrong then I suppose.
To me, the game's are just outdated for a full-priced console game, and I think that they serve much better as a downloadable cheaper title, or for a portable console.

I won't be buying it either way though unless it's something REALLY special.

Well there yours problem. You come into the thread like the crazy old man that thinks the USSR will still blow up the world.

Lol wtf?

Ludist210

I think a lot of people looking at this game are going to be terribly disappointed.
There's been such a long string of mediocre games, why do people still give this franchise a free pass and an extra attempt at relevance? :(
Of recent, Sonic games have been good (not great, but good). Generations, Colors, and arguably Lost World (I happen to like it, but I get why people don't) are all solid entries.

AdanVC

I am honestly very excited for this game. I'm sure it would not be a letdown as Sonic Lost World. It was a good game... just not as good as it was promised tough.

CamHostage

Interestingly, it's not the standard version of CryEngine 3 used here, but one that has been enhanced by the team. According to Rafei, the technology's usual spec can't traditionally do split-screen gaming, yet Sonic Boom will feature a twin split-screen display, one on the TV screen and the other on the GamePad.

Side-note, but this is something I'd really love to see CryEngine address. There have been a couple of cases of developers running up against the fact that the engine isn't designed for split-screen display and it's a real bummer in my book if this isn't being looked at in furtuer iterations of CryEngine. (There was a question in the TimeSplitters development blog and the designer said it may be hard to do 4P split-screen in the remake because they're using CryEngine and it doesn't do split-screen easily... TimeFreakingSplitters!!) If CE3 proves to be a great engine to run on Wii U, this would be a good opportunity to address the deficiency.

Very interested to see how BigRedButton's integration of CryEngine on Wii U goes, for this reason and many others. Hopefully it's a good game and a good technical showcase (character models being what they are) and it leads to good things on the platform.

GooeyHeat

I usually hate it when western devs pick up classic japanese titles, but for some reason i'm somehow hyped for this one. I could say 'cautiously optimistic', somehow got a good feeling.
That's because, unlike most times when this happens, the original Japanese developer has made it abundantly clear that they have no idea where they're going. Even when they had a workable formula built upon over three games (Unleashed, Colors, Generations), they scrap it all and make Lost World, which was decidedly unfinished.
No its not.

There are bad non sonic team sonic games.

There are also very good 3d sonic games made by sonic team.

So no imporvement.

wait and see.
There's very good 3D Sonic GAME by Sonic Team. Singular. I contend that Sonic Colors is the only 3D Sonic game to be consistent enough to be considered a legitimately great game.
Adventure's engine was too buggy and Big's and Tails's stages were all pretty dull (apart from Tails's Speed Highway). Adventure 2 shitted on three of Adventure's gameplay types and put a nasty plot tumor on a series that shouldn't have been that serious in the first place. Heroes was a slippery mess. Shadow was Adventure 2's plot tumor combined with Heroes's slippery mess with a massive dose of EDGE dumped in. 06 was 06. Unleashed's Werehog stages just dragged and dragged after a while. Generation's classic stages were somewhat disappointing, and the game fell apart at the end, with Planet Wisp's design being pretty mediocre and the final boss not making any sense. And Lost World, like I said, unfinished, and they threw away things that were working for no good reason.

So yeah, it's the only "very good 3D Sonic game by Sonic Team". I have more trust in people who worked on Crash Bandicoot and the original Jak and Daxter than I do in the Sonic Team of today.

Sonic Team's games are better now then they were last decade, but calling any of them other than Colors "very good" is nothing more than Sonic Stockholm Syndrome.

Village

There's very good 3D Sonic GAME by Sonic Team. Singular. I contend that Sonic Colors is the only 3D Sonic game to be consistent enough to be considered a legitimately great game.

That is your opinion and technically I cannot say your opinion is wrong.

But your opinion is wrong.

Colors isn't even the best sonic 3d game.

Lernaean

Banned
Probably because the team behind it have talent amongst them.

Indeed.

That's because, unlike most times when this happens, the original Japanese developer has made it abundantly clear that they have no idea where they're going. Even when they had a workable formula built upon over three games (Unleashed, Colors, Generations), they scrap it all and make Lost World, which was decidedly unfinished.

Err, not quite. Lost World had many good things in it, i will agree on the part where Sonic Team had something good already and scrapped it to try something else and i'll agree that it felt half done. But it was not bad, wasn't perfect but not bad either.

GooeyHeat

Did I seriously reply to a post about Sonic by Village? Damn, I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this game be better than the last 15 years of Sonic Team's work on their own series. Even if Knuckles needs to do some leg work.

TreIII

I wonder if Sega will at all change its plans regarding marketing Sonic Boom and its related materials in Japan. I mean, if the game actually ends up being good, why not?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sweet, so 2 screen (TV + Gamepad) Co-Op confirmed!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly when I read that. If they really manage to do render both screen at the quality from that cryengine demo (and even in the teaser the environments looked good) they really put quite an effort in this.

I have a good feeling about this game. Well, I liked also Sonic Lost World, at list the first half, so it doesn't say much.

Mlatador

Banned

Because this time it's being developed by a very capable team that is not Sonic Team. That alone is enough to get excited about.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, my thoughts exactly when I read that. If they really manage to do render both screen at the quality from that cryengine demo (and even in the teaser the environments looked good) they really put quite an effort in this.

I have a good feeling about this game. Well, I liked also Sonic Lost World, at list the first half, so it doesn't say much.

I'm with you. looking forward for it in fall

I remember playing Sonic Heroes back in the day and really hating it. Is it widely regarded as a 'good' Sonic game?

Sonic Heroes was the first and only game to make me so frustated to scream "this game is cancer in the balls", so I'd say it's total crap. I guess some people just like Sonic way too much to think it's good.

fred

Over half a decade ago.

The recent misfire was Lost World, and there are plenty that liked it.

I like Lost World so far, am on the third world and it's great once you get over the learning curve for the controls. It definitely should have reviewed better than it did, but that's game journalists generally being crap at games and not having the patience to learn different control schemes for you I guess. :eek:(

That's why The Wonderful 101 didn't review as well as it should have done too.

It really winds me up that reviewers don't have to pass some sort of test before getting their jobs tbh, or if they do have to it obviously isn't challenging enough.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Sonic Heroes started the trend that Sonic games needed to be different in some way from each other. Sonic Heroes had the 3 character alternating gimmick, then Shadow added guns, Sonic 06 tried to be Adventure 3 and failed, then the storybook series, and lately Sonic became a werewolf abomination.

Sonic Heroes was also the start in the series of having a different director for every Sonic game, thus why they all felt like their own separate games instead of a franchise...because they were.

These shenanigans finally ended around Sonic 4 and Colors so you can see where the shift in quality occurred. The friends were severely cut from later games and the stories became much simpler and less serious, which was definitely a step in the right direction.

On topic, I am far more optimistic about Sonic Boom than Sonic Team's next game. I played Lost World and it seemed like they had a solid idea with the parkour system, but didn't know how to implement it properly and design fun levels around it. If they keep that game mechanic in the next game, I hope they do some serious playtesting and find out what level designs work with it and what doesn't. Because giant tubes DON'T.

fred

If WiiU is rendering two versions of Cryengine 3 at once (one on the TV and one on the Gamepad) then I think people will have to stop talking shit about it's power.

Unfortunately that's never going to happen. Just seeing Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X and SSBU should be enough to stop that but you still see people on forums all over place (and here too) saying that those games with that IQ are possible on the PS3 and 360.

Volotaire

If WiiU is rendering two versions of Cryengine 3 at once (one on the TV and one on the Gamepad) then I think people will have to stop talking shit about it's power.

It would be particularly impressive if there isn't a significant hit in frame rate or a drop in graphical fidelity to accommodate the two players. I proabably already know the answer, but I hop thay can add some sort of online co-op. Coming from a Western studio, I hope the chances are greater.

Silky

Banned
I wonder if Sega will at all change its plans regarding marketing Sonic Boom and its related materials in Japan. I mean, if the game actually ends up being good, why not?

Well this is mostly a Sega of America/Sega of Europe thing, but Sonic Boom's getting a pretty good reception from fans in Japan

Every console Sonic game between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Colors is gash. Sonic Adventure had a huge novelty factor at the time (I turned down sex to play it, once), but play it today and you'll see what a flawed mess it really is.

On topic, I wasn't aware that Boom was coming to 3DS.

andymcc

Banned
Well this is mostly a Sega of America/Sega of Europe thing, but Sonic Boom's getting a pretty good reception from fans in Japan

I thought that I read that Sonic Boom isn't even being released in Japan? where did you read about the good reception from fans?

ah, found it.

"Iizuka confirmed that there are currently no plans to bring the Sonic Boom games or cartoon to Japan"

catmincer

Generations is best 3D Sonic. I like Adventure 2 except for the stupid Knuckles levels urgh.

Adventure 1 does not hold up now in my opinion. The controls are awful and most the game modes are awful.

Volotaire

Every console Sonic game between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Colors is gash. Sonic Adventure had a huge novelty factor at the time (I turned down sex to play it, once), but play it today and you'll see what a flawed mess it really is.

On topic, I wasn't aware that Boom was coming to 3DS.

Yeh it's developed by Sanzaru Games instead. They've done a lot of Sly related games, and have experience with the Vita. Hope this bodes well for 3DS development.

Hopes are buoyed by the fact that the Graphic Designers from Jak and Daxter, the script writer from Uncharted, and the animator from Spyro and Resistance are working on the game.

and Sonic can't really go any lower. At least the guys from Big Red button have worked on big title games, even if their roles aren't exactly "Level Design" or anything like that

Can you name these? Don't forget I'm the one at TSS who's been compiling names of folks behind the game, so if you found something I didn't, please pass it along, I can add them in Part 3 and even credit you for the findings. :)

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
ibfDCIdmc7MDjy.gif

Tuck

So you've never even played the recent games and you're making sweeping comments, then acting defensive when you get called out on it? Please. You haven't played the recent games? Then your opinion means (nearly) nothing - it'd mean at least a little bit if you watched videos or something, but from your post, I don't think you've even done that.

Its extremely annoying to come into a thread and see half the posts be like "lol sonic cycle" or "lol why do people still care" when there is a clear reason why people still care, and that is because Sonic has had several great, highly entertaining games in the past few years.

GamerJM

Banned
Sonic Heroes was the best Sonic game that gen. After replaying SA2, I see all the flaws I didn't see back when I first plays it. SH still holds up pretty well.

Sorry but I can't agree with this at all. All of those issues people talk about with SA 1 and 2 in regards to the Sonic stages? They were basically amplified to 11 in Heroes. And to top it all off the game basically made you play through it four times. Plus no Chao Garden.

I still enjoy Heroes for some reason (hell, I enjoy Shadow) but it's clearly the point when the series started going downhill.

Top Bottom