• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONM: Sonic Boom New Info (Wii U/3DS)

TreIII

Well this is mostly a Sega of America/Sega of Europe thing, but Sonic Boom's getting a pretty good reception from fans in Japan

Yeah, I know that it's a Western Sega thing, but I never heard about it having interest in Japan. Is there a source for this, Silk?

Daingurse

Sonic Heroes is a stronger entry now? I remember being hype for it back in the day, but that game was pretty average. I hope this game is good, would make it a lot easier to buy a Wii-U come winter for Smash. A good Sonic game, is my kind of killer app.

Well this is mostly a Sega of America/Sega of Europe thing, but Sonic Boom's getting a pretty good reception from fans in Japan

I'd love to know more, I mean Sonic games sell like shit in Japan (they commonly do like around 5,000 first week and maybe reach 10k, a bit more if they're lucky, no matter the platform).

What on Earth is the common opinion of Sonic in Japan these days, Sonic's poor sales are so enigmatic to me, since Sonic until now has been a Japanese franchise (true most of the GC-era games were made in the US, but they were still by the main JP team just housed in NA).

So what's the viewpoint on Boom in Japan?

I don't really keep up with engine news. Is this the first CryEngine game on Wii U? Is that a big deal?
I thought that I read that Sonic Boom isn't even being released in Japan? where did you read about the good reception from fans?

ah, found it.
Nooooooo! I only have a J-Wii U. Right when I started becoming interested in this game too. I hate region locking :(.

shaowebb

I like the dialogue and humor in this game, but I didn't come to watch a movie. I came to play and I am not liking the concept of a combat driven Sonic title. Not at all. I need to see some sort of gameplay breakdown on this before I'll be anything more than heavily apprehensive about it.

Toadette

Banned
Sonic-Boom-Crop.jpg

new pic

Toadette

Banned
You're welcome. :p

Also, we MAY have a possible leak of characters and voice actors, according to IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3232262/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

It shows Vincent Tong as Shadow (you have to view his page to see) and Corey Burton as Metal Sonic. If this is true, then the person who made a "these should voice said characters" video years ago on YouTube hoping to see Metal Sonic by Corey Burton, fucking nailed it.

i dont mind the current voice just fix amy she sounds like minnie mouse

TimmiT

You're welcome. :p

Also, we MAY have a possible leak of characters and voice actors, according to IMDB:

It shows Vincent Tong as Shadow (you have to view his page to see) and Corey Burton as Metal Sonic. If this is true, then the person who made a "these should voice said characters" video years ago on YouTube hoping to see Metal Sonic by Corey Burton, fucking nailed it.

Can't everyone edit IMDB? I'd take that with an ocean of salt if I were you.

Nothing they've shown so far inspires much confidence, but the simple idea of a Western dev tacking a Sonic game is so goddamn exciting that I'm willing to ignore The Cycle and give them the benefit of the doubt.

TimmiT

Nothing they've shown so far inspires much confidence, but the simple idea of a Western dev tacking a Sonic game is so goddamn exciting that I'm willing to ignore The Cycle and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Remember that time when the Cycle was still relevant.

Wait... Kate Higgins isn't voice acting Tails in this one?! I find this incredibly questionable.

Sciz

Wait... Kate Higgins isn't voice acting Tails in this one?! I find this incredibly questionable.

We have the following list straight from Sega:

We are also pleased to confirm the English language voice talent and voice director for the Sonic Boom videogame and TV series:

• Sonic: Roger Craig Smith
• Dr Eggman: Mike Pollock
• Tails: Colleen Villard
• Knuckles: Travis Willingham
• Amy: Cindy Robinson
• Orbot: Kirk Thornton
• Cubot: Wally Wingert

The IMDB credits list Charles Martinet as Mario and Mark Gatha as Mega Man X in a couple of episodes, if you needed any further reason to ignore them.

Davey Cakes

Sonic Heroes was the first awful Sonic game. So yeah the bar's real low here.
To be honest I really enjoyed Sonic Heroes' approach to Sonic games. Not so much all the various teams (I think just Sonic & Tails would have been fine, though having Knuckles on the team wasn't bad) and the beat-em-up segments but otherwise it honestly felt a lot like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 brought straight into 3D.

The controls and camera were pretty bad though. Just...unpolished or something. Caused plenty of unnecessary deaths.

Sonic Heroes was a great template for 3D Sonic games and I don't even want to call it "bad" or "awful" but it does have plenty of problems with overall playability.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
it conjures up memories of two of the strongest titles from the 'hog's recent past: Sonic Adventure for its diverse ground-burrowing, monkey swinging, tail-propelling, multi-character gameplay and Sonic Heroes for the fact that several characters are on-screen at the same time and must be used together to progress.
wat

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No seriously, they got it right with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. Don't go back to the Adventure mold! Those games weren't actually that good!

MrBadger

Sonic Heroes was the first awful Sonic game. So yeah the bar's real low here.

I still think Sonic Adventure 2's worse. I liked Heroes's team idea and it was a fine game, hindered by slippery controls, repetition and enemies that take forever to die in the later levels. Sonic Adventure 2 only really has City Escape and Chao gardens going for it. But I've digressed enough. I don't think we should be thinking too much about how this game compares to previous Sonic games since it's an entirely new team and engine. I think more apt comparisons would be western adventure games like Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank.

Top Bottom