• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest has sold around 10 million copies

Draugoth

Gold Member
Thomas Mahler, CEO of Moon Studios, indicates on Twitter that they have sold around 10 million copies of Ori and the Blind Forest.

"If Blind Forest would have flopped back then, we would’ve been bankrupt as a studio.But thank god it didn’t - we sold around 10m copies of Ori so far, which probably makes it the most successful Metroidvania series ever made."

Source:

Last edited:
I did my part! :messenger_sunglasses:

78835Xw.jpeg

Fredrik

He was only moaning the other day that not enough people buy his games after he pocketed fortunes for putting them on gamepass. Guy is a weasel I would never buy anything with his name on it
That’s kinda extreme but it’s your choice. I buy all games that are great and the Ori games are easily top 10 all-time metroidvanias. Can’t wait to play Wicked at the early access launch soon!

Robb

Gold Member
Blind Forest was OK, Will of the Wisps was a huge improvement imo. Hopefully the sequel has sold a similar amount.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Timely info.....

Why mention this? Is a remaster coming out soon? Never understood why developers pimp their sales numbers years later.

“Most successful metroidvania series ever”

How about Castlevania and Metroid, ya fuckin dope?

His games are sick but this guy seems like kind of a douche.
One single thread and I'm being called a weasel and a dope :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reg. Castlevania and Metroid, I don't want to talk down these series at all, obviously, since there would be no Ori without those games laying the groundwork.

But sales-wise, aren't we all the way up there? I'm not sure if the Castlevania Metroidvanias ever sold 10 million copies, but I mean, I could be totally off. Same with Metroid - Did the 2d Metroids sell 10m? I doubt it?

And no, I never was 'salty' about GamePass. People sent me PMs about how to best support Moon Studios and I wanted to just tweet out that the best way to support us at this point is by actually buying our games. I thought that'd be kinda self-explanatory, but I guess not, I'm such a dope :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
One single thread and I'm being called a weasel and a dope :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reg. Castlevania and Metroid, I don't want to talk down these series at all, obviously, since there would be no Ori without those games laying the groundwork.

But sales-wise, aren't we all the way up there? I'm not sure if the Castlevania Metroidvanias ever sold 10 million copies, but I mean, I could be totally off. Same with Metroid - Did the 2d Metroids sell 10m? I doubt it?

And no, I never was 'salty' about GamePass. People sent me PMs about how to best support Moon Studios and I wanted to just tweet out that the best way to support us at this point is by actually buying our games. I thought that'd be kinda self-explanatory, but I guess not, I'm such a dope :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah that’s how i took your gamepass comments since it was obvious that if people were to buy ori on steam, you would get a cut of the same but nothing if they played on gamepass.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

He’s clearly talking about the dev, not you.

Edit: Oh, just looked at the names lol. You’re one and the same.

Never mind then.

For a bit or clarification, is 10M the whole series or just Ori and the Blind Forest?

Last edited:

Stuart360

He's clearly talking about single games, and not Metroid and Cstlevania series as a whole.
I mean i have no clue but i wouldnt be surprised if no single Metroid or Castlevania game hit 10mil sales.

The wording is a little bit ambiguous there.

In the first sentence he specifically said the first game, Blind Forest, and when quoting sales he said the series name, Ori.

Is it 2 games combined or just the first?

Mr Hyde

The best selling Metroid to date is Metroid Dread, sitting at approximately 3 million copies sold. Not even Metroid Prime, which is hailed as the crown jewel of the franchise, managed more than a million copies on GC. Not sure how Remastered did on Switch, maybe it did good considered how well made it was, but historically, Metroid has never been big sellers.

Castlevania has suffered the same fate. Symphony of the Night practically birthed the genre and coined the term Metroidvania, and it still bombed hard on PSX despite its huge influence on the genre and 2D action rpgs. The GBA adventures, while solid, never set charts on fire either. It's niche franchises, catering to the hardcore fanbases.

Metroidvanias has historically never been big sellers until Hollow Knight and Ori came along (at least not if we're talking in the 10 million range) so I'd say you are right when Ori is a top dog among Metroidvanias. Rightfully so, imo.

The best selling Metroid to date is Metroid Dread, sitting at approximately 3 million copies sold. Not even Metroid Prime, which is hailed as the crown jewel of the franchise, managed more than a million copies on GC. Not sure how Remastered did on Switch, maybe it did good considered how well made it was, but historically, Metroid has never been big sellers.

Castlevania has suffered the same fate. Symphony of the Night practically birthed the genre and coined the term Metroidvania, and it still bombed hard on PSX despite its huge influence on the genre and 2D action rpgs. The GBA adventures, while solid, never set charts on fire either. It's niche franchises, catering to the hardcore fanbases.

Metroidvanias has historically never been big sellers until Hollow Knight and Ori came along (at least not if we're talking in the 10 million range) so I'd say you are right when Ori is a top dog among Metroidvanias. Rightfully so, imo.
Yup, that's what I had always heard, too. And I always thought that was a shame, cause obviously Super Metroid, SOTN and the GBA Castlevanias deserved a hell of a lot more success!

That's kinda why we started making Ori as well. Cause I could never understand why Konami had this gem in their pockets, but then instead of making an actual AAA 2d Castlevania game, they made those weird 3d ones for the PS2 and Igarashi was only allowed to do handheld versions. My thinking was that if you'd make a modern rendition of SOTN or Super Metroid on Xbox Live Arcade, those things should sell like gangbusters. That's kinda what we're doing with No Rest for the Wicked as well now. I never loved where the ARPG genre was heading and was a bit afraid that Blizzard would beat us to the punch by breaking new ground with Diablo IV, but... thank god they didn't :messenger_tears_of_joy:

After we shipped Blind Forest, someone from EA told me that 'Fe' was created as a direct response to Ori cause the Ori sales were so high. And Insomniac also tried their luck with 'Song of the Deep', but neither performed as well as Ori, probably because neither of them were crazy enough to actually invest 4 years of hard work into those games, lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean, even the recent Donkey Kong games from Retro sold like what, 4-5m copies? It's pretty crazy that we sold as many copies as Nintendo did of one of their prime franchises.

Anyway, I love that we made so many people happy with Ori and just hope we'll do it again with Wicked! :messenger_grinning:

Most likely, he is talking about the entire series here. Both Ori games sold 10 million copies, which makes more logical sense, tbh.

Fair enough. It's usual for devs to not comment/get specific on sales figures when they don't feel comfortable, especially when 1st party is involved.

Hi Thomas. Great to see you here.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind answering.

Was the choice to go to Xbox the right choice, in retrospect, now? If you had a time machine, would you have made the first game for all platforms back then?

Also, what are your thoughts on the draconian policy change trial with Unity, the subsequent industry backlash to it, and then their 180 (apparently as of now) back to how things were? Would you have switched to UE5, if they pressed forward with it?

Fair enough. It's usual for devs to not comment/get specific on sales figures when they don't feel comfortable, especially when 1st party is involved.

Hi Thomas. Great to see you here.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind answering.

Was the choice to go to Xbox the right choice, in retrospect, now? If you had a time machine, would you have made the first game for all platforms back then?

Also, what are your thoughts on the draconian policy change trial with Unity, the subsequent industry backlash to it, and then their 180 (apparently as of now) back to how things were? Would you have switched to UE5, if they pressed forward with it?
Absolutely 100%, Microsoft was an amazing partner for us and I'd happily do it again in the exact same way. There would be no Moon Studios without Microsoft believing in us, so I'll always be eternally grateful to those people over there who believed in us and decided to give us a shot :messenger_grinning:

I am a bit sad that back then it was custom that you had to give up IP rights. I do think the Ori IP would be better off in our hands than in Microsoft's since MS certainly cares a lot more about Halo and Gears and so on than they do about Ori. I mean, the Halo marketing budget alone is probably 10x what an Ori game costs to make :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'd bet that Phil even agrees with this, but it's water under the bridge.

When we pitched No Rest for the Wicked to Microsoft, it just became clear that Microsoft might not be the best fit here because of the projects nature and needs. It's an Action RPG with multiplayer and somewhat of a social angle, so you'd want to ship it multiplatform and get as many people to play it as possible and support Crossplay. That just never would've happened under the Microsoft of back then. I think they'd be way more open to discuss that kinda multiplatform structure these days, which is why I think Phil is on the right track.

That's why we rejected Microsoft's offer and went with Private Division instead, cause we thought... hey, those are the T2 folks that marketed the shit out of Grand Theft Auto and they let Rockstar cook... and we love to cook as well, so... let's get cookin'! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reg. Unity, I don't know man, I don't really care about that. They've become a bit of a corporation and sometimes corporations do stupid things. They just have to focus on making the best engine possible and get those people into power that just want to do that.

Last edited:
He had to sell ten million copies of Ori to finally afford an AES copy of Metal Slug 3

The profit margins must've been A T R O C I O U S

J/K of course but just in case some don't pick up on that

ABH65Vr.jpg

Last edited:

Paltheos

Cool for them, and for the people who enjoyed Ori.

I am in the small minority that did not enjoy it in the slightest. I'm usually a big fan of this genre of games, but Ori is one of the few that bothered me so much I wrote a rage review on Steam. I did not like it, and I don't think it's very good either.

Fair enough but it is easier to get 10 million sales today than it was back in the 1990s.

simpatico

And the owner still felt the need to shit on GamePass? I don't care for Ori, but metroidvania is one of my most favorite genres, so I'm happy to see it do well.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Cool for them, and for the people who enjoyed Ori.

I am in the small minority that did not enjoy it in the slightest. I'm usually a big fan of this genre of games, but Ori is one of the few that bothered me so much I wrote a rage review on Steam. I did not like it, and I don't think it's very good either.

6F2uqnw.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't played Blind Forest yet but I did play WOTW recently via Gamepass trial sub. It's been on my 'I'll grab this some day' wishlist for a while now.

Top Bottom