• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

worth 20 bucks?

what is a $20 game to you?

content wise, i'd put it at $15. somebody mentioned the presentation (graphics, audio and music) are the $5 tax, which I agree with (and i'm glad for them).

as a one-and-done playthrough, i think it's a little lacking. but if you're going to master it and go for some of the more difficult achievements, it'll easily earn its money's worth. just wish there was a gumon bonus level or something.

moon pls

Navy Bean

Wow... still no solution to the "Press RT issue", huh??

First game I'm dissapointed to buy early, ever. =/
What issue is that? I had trouble wall running and instead feather parachute would open. Caused me 50 deaths but I figured it was just me messing up. (And the list of games I'm disappointed in buying is long but it certainly does not include Ori).

What issue is that? I had trouble wall running and instead feather parachute would open. Caused me 50 deaths but I figured it was just me messing up. (And the list of games I'm disappointed in buying is long but it certainly does not include Ori).
Sounds like the issue I had where you can't push/pull blocks.

Maedhros

Sounds like the issue I had where you can't push/pull blocks.

Yup, exactly that. The controller don't register the inputs, at all.

Haven't seen any answers about that issue. Many people saying the same on steam boards...

Aikidoka

Game keeps crashing on me. It will suddenly go into windowed mode and prevent me from doing anything on the desktop. Have to sign out of my profile and close down everything. Pretty annoying.

ThankeeSai

Loving this game, but holy shit, the
escape from the Ginsu Tree
REALLY caused me problems. Seriously, must have spent the best part of an hour trying to finish it, if not longer. God knows how many attempts it took me. So many times I got right up to the last section and I'd fuck a jump up or some other stupid mistake.

Forgot to check my death count before I turned Xbox off, but it's going to be very high :p

GoXDS

My friend is having issues with the game.
he just put the Gravity Orb in place to reactivate the Forlorn Ruins, but he went back into the first half and now cannot proceed back to the second half because he no longer has the orb.
Is this a bug or is there a solution?

EDIT: he figured it out

RoKKeR

Im pretty sure it based on downloads rather than actual "sales" (hence why all the free-to-play stuff is up there) and also AC Black Flag which can be had for pennies for a download code on CDKeys... DAI will be a mix of trials and sales, too.

Its doing great though.

Oh interesting, I don't have a "Top Selling" section on my Store. What region are you in?

I must say my favorite parts of this game are the sections that are challenging, the satisfaction you get after overcoming a difficult section after multiple attempts is huge. They key for this being the sweet save system and the immediate respawn. Moon studios definitely took note from Super Meat boy which was perfect in delivering challenge and minimizing frustration.

Artanisix

Misty Woods or whatever it was called was fucking awful.

Other than that, the game has been incredible. About to enter Forlorn Ruins, might take a break here since I've been marathoning it hard.

Ghost23

Has anyone been able to use their PS4 controller successfully with this game? I can get it to work, but all the inputs are flipped and I cannot for the life of me get it to map the buttons correctly.

Has anyone been able to use their PS4 controller successfully with this game? I can get it to work, but all the inputs are flipped and I cannot for the life of me get it to map the buttons correctly.

Are you using DS4windows? If so make sure to set Hide DS4, I think you are sending DS4 and 360 inputs to the game.

Ghost23

Are you using DS4windows? If so make sure to set Hide DS4, I think you are sending DS4 and 360 inputs to the game.

Yes I am using DS4windows. Whenever I Hide DS4, the game does not read my controller at all, but when I do not hide it, the controller works with incorrect button mappings.

Zeth

Game is so good. Spent 30 minutes or so on the infamous escape before going to bed. Woke up and nailed it on the first try. That's always such a great feeling, ha.

Yes I am using DS4windows. Whenever I Hide DS4, the game does not read my controller at all, but when I do not hide it, the controller works with incorrect button mappings.

Same issue for me. Haven't gotten a chance to look into it.

Aikidoka

Game is so good. Spent 30 minutes or so on the infamous escape before going to bed. Woke up and nailed it on the first try. That's always such a great feeling, ha.

Same issue for me. Haven't gotten a chance to look into it.

I'm using DS InputMapper and updated the software and made sure the program was running before i start the game. Then, it works.

Except the game keeps freaking crashing on me.

Nabs

Are you using DS4Windows from ds4windows.com or a different branch? And do you have your controller plugged in before launching the game? You can check your usb game controllers controller panel to see if it's working properly before launching.

Ghost23

Are you using DS4Windows from ds4windows.com or a different branch? And do you have your controller plugged in before launching the game? You can check your usb game controllers controller panel to see if it's working properly before launching.

It's the one from ds4windows.com. I tested it with other games to make sure, and it worked, so I'm pretty confused. I've tried exiting out of everything and opening the programs in different orders, but nothing makes a difference. I would love to be able to play the game with a controller, so hopefully I can find a solution.

Nabs

It's the one from ds4windows.com. I tested it with other games to make sure, and it worked, so I'm pretty confused. I've tried exiting out of everything and opening the programs in different orders, but nothing makes a difference. I would love to be able to play the game with a controller, so hopefully I can find a solution.

Did you check your controller control panel to see if it's only showing the 360 pad and not the wireless controller?

Holy crap:
so I was asking earlier about why I sucked at the bash move and why it wouldn't work sometimes... Can you only bash where those orbs are?? Lol if so, then I'm an idiot, but I'm so glad I figured it out.
That water rush level was tensest thing I've played since Dark Souls.

xFMx ALCHEMiST

Neo Member
PSA: When you're done with the fire/lava area and they tell you you can't come back, quit the game and copy your save file. Once you complete the game its over and they won't let u go back in and play. Dumbest shit ever.

expel

bought and is playing the game on steam, finished the water tree last night and on the way to the wind area! this game is so fun, i love it!

drotahorror

Holy crap:
so I was asking earlier about why I sucked at the bash move and why it wouldn't work sometimes... Can you only bash where those orbs are?? Lol if so, then I'm an idiot, but I'm so glad I figured it out.
That water rush level was tensest thing I've played since Dark Souls.

afaik, only lanters/projectiles and enemies? I dunno I just beat the first world event with the water rush as you call it. WOW that was absolutely amazing. I wish I fraps'd it so I could admire the scenery more. I beat it 3rd try surprisingly. I thought it was going to be tougher.

RyudBoy

Just finished it.

Mad props to everyone at Moon Studios for making an excellent game. I didn't 100% it this time, but I'll be sure to do that on my next run.

those of you on the forlorn ruins:
after the anti-gravity sequence (when you cross the orange rock bridge), make sure you keep heading right towards the orange beams of death instead of climbing up and out of the level. there's a life cell you'll miss there and you wont be able to get back into the ruins after you complete it

Just finished it.

Mad props to everyone at Moon Studios for making an excellent game. I didn't 100% it this time, but I'll be sure to do that on my next run.

Just finished it myself. Fantastic and beautiful finish. I have a feeling it'll be up there for my GotY come December.

Ghost23

So I got the 360 pad to show up in the control panel, so hiding the DS4 works, but it still changes some of the button mappings. Specifically, the triggers are not mapped for anything in the game, so I can't perform the abilities that are used by the triggers.

Nabs

It's showing the wireless controller. How do you get it to show the 360 pad?

Hide DS4 has to be checked, and it should work. A couple of tips that may or may not do anything: Under settings, change your xinput port to something like 5. Also, with the control panel up, you could try unplugging and plugging your controller back in. You'll probably get an error, but that usually clears up any issues for me. Good luck.

So I got the 360 pad to show up in the control panel, so hiding the DS4 works, but it still changes some of the button mappings. Specifically, the triggers are not mapped for anything in the game, so I can't perform the abilities that are used by the triggers.

If Wireless controller shows up at all, it'll take control and make in game stuff weird.

on another note, something about the story doesn't add up:

why did the light from the spirit tree kill kuro's birdlets? and why didn't it reach her if she was down in the forest? doesn't it pass over her?

Ghost23

Hide DS4 has to be checked, and it should work. A couple of tips that may or may not do anything: Under settings, change your xinput port to something like 5. Also, with the control panel up, you could try unplugging and plugging your controller back in. You'll probably get an error, but that usually clears up any issues for me. Good luck.

If Wireless controller shows up at all, it'll take control and make in game stuff weird.

Thanks for the help. How do I ensure that the wireless controller does not show up in the control panel?

To me the bash ability is really the defining feature of this game (outside of the the amazing presentation).

That said, even at 80% complete I still feel like I'm at the infant stage of using it. You seem to be more...advanced.

i had a lot of practice: http://xboxdvr.com/A 3 Legged Goat/2e796ca1-473b-40af-9f7a-7e62bf27e839

it's easily the most unique of the bunch, but using it in tandem with the other abilities is where things get interesting. i love how agile and spontaneous the combat is.

if this game had roll dodging and sidestepping, the moveset would be perfect IMO.

Trickster

Hadn't been following this game prior to release, saw the initial trailer for it and that was about it. Thought it would be some chill artsy platformer.

Turns out I was wrong lol, this game is hard as heck. I love it!

Navy Bean

i had a lot of practice: http://xboxdvr.com/A 3 Legged Goat/2e796ca1-473b-40af-9f7a-7e62bf27e839

it's easily the most unique of the bunch, but using it in tandem with the other abilities is where things get interesting. i love how agile and spontaneous the combat is.

if this game had roll dodging and sidestepping, the moveset would be perfect IMO.
I agree that roll would be sweet. And the best part about Bash is that you have to think 2 moves ahead - where to shoot them, where to shoot yourself, and what to do next. All in the span of 2 seconds. Assuming people keep playing this game I could see some crazy videos happening...

Top Bottom