• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Beat this game this morning before I left for some errands, I think it's my personal best of the year so far. Clocked in about 8 and a half hours. Just about everything in it is splendid!

I do have a question though. I managed to get 100% on every area and get every life cell, but apparently I'm missing one energy cell out of 15? Is the 100% based on map exploration, not collectibles? I made a save when the game warned me of it's point of no return but I can't find that missing cell. All the ruins are 100% too with no icons in them either. Wonder where I'm missing something..anyone run into this?

I'd do some speed runs (I had some Metroid WRs for a while) but I need a better machine. this game drops to 10fps in some areas on my Radeon HD 6520G.

maybe when the 360 version comes out? I don't think I'll have a new PC or a XB1 anytime soon so that's really my only option.

fantomena

Im giving up, I jsut played through half of the game and same shit appeared once more.it is when you get to the tree which gives you the jump charge ability (press LT + A). Problem is, I can't jump for some reason.

Really dissapointing.

stuminus3

Just finished. I haven't been following this thread because I went into this game completely 'blind' so I don't know if there are any developers watching, but I just wanted to say... sincerely, thank you. It's rare that I can feel so moved by a game that even without it's art and story would still be such a fun game to play (and it's really fun to run around with a fully upgraded Ori!). Just a beautiful experience from beginning to end, what with gaming being in such a cynical phase at the moment it was just what the doctor ordered. Thank you, again.

imae

Just finished this and thoroughly enjoyed it. The game doesn't do anything especially original, but the mechanics are solid. I actually really enjoyed the escape sequences too! - there weren't too many of them and they were quite short so they didn't outstay their welcome - I thought they mixed up the pacing of the game well.

My PC isn't as powerful as an X1 but I had no performance issues outside a couple of instances of loading lag running into a new area. The frame rate remained solid throughout. There must be some compatibility issues though as I've heard people with better PC's than mine having issues.

Reviews for this game made it sound more difficult than it actually is, and some reviews slated it for being too frustrating at times which I think is an unfair opinion that probably put many people off the game.
It's a challenging game sure, but it never really felt unfair to me. You die, you adapt, and when you overcome it feels satisfying.

DId you guys catch the AMA the devs did over on the xbox one reddit yesterday?

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2yxclb/hi_everyone_its_moon_studios_creators_of_ori_and/

ooo some interesting stuff in there.

"The issue of making it possible for players to go back into the world after the story was finished was a much discussed one during production. We decided on closing off the save since we felt it is more fitting to the style of the game and we felt it would be weird to open the game world in it's old state after the story has ended. I can also see how that upsets completionists and collectors though, and we are currently thinking about solutions to that and the new game+. I would also love to see Ori plushies, we'll see what we can come up with there!"

"We will absolutely update the game in the future, but we cannot say yet if we will add features like that. And we can also hardly talk about future projects yet, sorry =)"

*cross fingers*

Lima

There are two big problems with this game and it's somehting that you just shouldn't do as a developer with this type of game. First of the percentage per area shouldn't be there just to be there to see how much you have uncovered the map. It should serve as a way to know how much you have completed that area collectible wise.

And you never I repeat never make sections that players can not return to in this type of game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Likely a stupid question, but I need help with a jumping puzzle in the misty woods shortly after acquiring the climb ability. I'm at a spot where a platform appears with a new platform appearing as soon as I jump off the previous. Hope that makes sense, anywho, the 5th or so platform, looking no different then the rest, I fall right through it every time. I must be missing something?

BiggNife

So uh

I just started the game from steam for the second time today and for some reason it gave me a bunch of achievements I haven't earned yet

Stomp Master, Blast Master, Deadly Deflection and World at Your Feet (which is especially weird because I only just got the achievement for getting half of the map stones)

Has this happened to anyone else?

Nabs

So uh

I just started the game from steam for the second time today and for some reason it gave me a bunch of achievements I haven't earned yet

Stomp Master, Blast Master, Deadly Deflection and World at Your Feet (which is especially weird because I only just got the achievement for getting half of the map stones)

I've gotten achievements for just clicking on the game in my library.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Likely a stupid question, but I need help with a jumping puzzle in the misty woods shortly after acquiring the climb ability. I'm at a spot where a platform appears with a new platform appearing as soon as I jump off the previous. Hope that makes sense, anywho, the 5th or so platform, looking no different then the rest, I fall right through it every time. I must be missing something?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fxX6biztRG8
5:43 in. 6th platform. That player lands right on it, I fall through it
Every time. Bug?

Gizmo 76

Neo Member
Absolutely cracking game. Have been, and still am loving it...

I'm about to enter what I believe to be the final section and the point of no return but I'm one Energy and Life Cell short of maximum?!... Is there one of each in the final section?

I've unlocked all the abilities and in theory should be able to see them, but none are showing on the main map. So I'm assuming they must be in the final section... Correct assumption? lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vern, agree with this segment. One of my thoughts a few days back was that the environments could have been used more to tell a story and this segment is nailing it on that front.

mine was green. You jump down past beams and find hidden path on left right?

Oh my god, there is a hidden path I missed even though I was over there. :|

That really sucks. That one life cell would prevent me from 100%.

My third sitting with the game and im heading to the last dungeon

I got 11/12 life cells, just got the all life cell markers and nothing on the map

Strange, i missed an area in forlorn ruins (94%) but i think you cant go back there once theres that rock right?

BTW, people who said the second escape was hard... come on, the ginso one? YEP, but the second one was easy, got it on the second try... you cant even compare that to the water one

Glomby

So I wanna play this game, but I lent my nephew my xbone. Should I just get it on steam, or wait till next week?

Depends on your set up. I'm playing on my xbox on my 65" plasma and it's just absolutely amazing so far (4 hours in). I wouldn't want to play it on my pc in my home office.

There is no difference between both versions, so it's basically all about how you would like to experience it.

BiggNife

So I think I've encountered a game breaking bug

I'm at this point, right before the misty woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVg3mWezdqo&&t=5m18s

Except instead of spawning me right next to the feather it spawns me in an area beneath it

I can navigate back up through the caves but then it won't actually let me move back to where the feather is. So I'm stuck.

Just did the second escape part, don't think it was as hard as first. And after unlocking the last ability I went back to very first part to access area I couldn't before. Collected orbs and powerups and what not, and after collecting everything I feel like a tank now lol. This is probably the best non-Metroid Metroid game ever created.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished. Amazing game overall, though I skipped by the usual check every nook and cranny at the end of the game due to the missable life cell. My only real gripe with the game is that, things like that should not be in a metroidvania type of game, and once I realized I missed it it basically took the wind out of my sails so I just finished it.

Still, great showing from Moon Studios.

Beat this game this morning before I left for some errands, I think it's my personal best of the year so far. Clocked in about 8 and a half hours. Just about everything in it is splendid!

I do have a question though. I managed to get 100% on every area and get every life cell, but apparently I'm missing one energy cell out of 15? Is the 100% based on map exploration, not collectibles? I made a save when the game warned me of it's point of no return but I can't find that missing cell. All the ruins are 100% too with no icons in them either. Wonder where I'm missing something..anyone run into this?

The last cell is after the point of no return.

Nbz

those of you on the forlorn ruins:
after the anti-gravity sequence (when you cross the orange rock bridge), make sure you keep heading right towards the orange beams of death instead of climbing up and out of the level. there's a life cell you'll miss there and you wont be able to get back into the ruins after you complete it

If I missed the bonus exp at the very start if you go right instead of left, will that count towards the area completion?

Pooya

this
flood/escape seq.
was the gitgud moment for me. It was very good. Reminded me of some place in one of NES ninja gaiden games. I was thinking this is some laid back "feels" in your face indie game but it's actually quite challenging and satisfying platforming at times. Bullet bashing is great.

Beboh13

Banned
I love this game, but I'm stuck at
Thornfelt Swamp. I just got the ground pound ability, but the there are two breakable floors that I can't break. I tried the charge blast and the ground pound on the floor to left of the map stone, but it wont break. All other ways are a dead end.

BiggNife

So I think I've encountered a game breaking bug

I'm at this point, right before the misty woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVg3mWezdqo&&t=5m18s

Except instead of spawning me right next to the feather it spawns me in an area beneath it

I can navigate back up through the caves but then it won't actually let me move back to where the feather is. So I'm stuck.

Posted a video to show exactly what happened to me here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsazqku1tYA&feature=youtu.be

puebla

Just got into the Forlorn Ruins and am about 70% done with the game. The atmosphere and music are just so perfect. Ori turning into quite a memorable experience.

Nbz

Finished the
Folorn Ruins
and I have to say, the
escape sequence was just as much of a visual treat as the first one, but definitely easier. I only died maybe 10 times total.
Either I'm just getting better at the game or it really is a little easier I dunno. That first one did seem like a steep difficulty curve for some people.

wouwie

Just after the Ginso Tree, there is a section with water. I can't jump out of the water. At first, i thought i needed to do something special but apparently it's a bug (multiple users reported this issue on the Steam forum). It means i can't progress anymore because i can't collect the pieces needed to open the door. This is a weird bug indeed...

I hope it's going to be patched soon so i can continue playing.

Anyone know how to open that one door in Hollow Grove that leads to an ability sphere?

Nevermind found it. Theres a switch in a 'secret' area in a tree above.

Not 100% because
Once farlorn ruins is done there is no way to go back =/

I played with x360 controller btw, pic got keyboard controls because i alt tabbed to open fraps

L0WqcKP.jpg

One of the best games of 2015 EASILY!

Dat story, soundtrack (Hnnggg dat escape music), gameplay and graphics!

And people who raged at that first escape will love the last one lol

For me it was pretty clear. Fire > Water > wind/ice , last one being easy as fuck

And the ending with the own sacrificing herself to save her last child.... dem feels!

So sad that there is no more Ori ....

People who enjoyed this game must REALLY play Castle in the Darkness!

- Castle in the Darkness - 100%
- Hotline Miami 2 - 100% (normal only but without lockon)
- Ori and the Blind - 99%

Bring it on from! My body is ready for bloodborne
It is not!

NIN90

Is there really no way to get back into those areas? I triggered the escape in the Forlorn Ruins by accident and there's still a pretty large chunk unexplored.

Sheroking

Sadly, no.

This, and the lack of a New Game+ are my biggest complaints about the game.

It should be possible for me to 100% this game in about 4 hours on my second playthrough. You need to at least do a Castlevania reverse castle thing or something to extend replay value.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Just finished it.

Loved it. Definitely my favorite this gen. Can't wait for the NG+. Also, looking forward to see what Moon Studios comes up with next.

Nugg

I love this game, but I'm stuck at
Thornfelt Swamp. I just got the ground pound ability, but the there are two breakable floors that I can't break. I tried the charge blast and the ground pound on the floor to left of the map stone, but it wont break. All other ways are a dead end.

Is it the breakable floor that's underwater? If so,
you need to get rid of the water. Try to go around and under, see if there's something you can do there.

Just entered the Valley of the Wind.
How do I get past the owl? Do I have to find an alternate route? The only other way I can find it through a painful area filled with spikes and tethers.

Top Bottom