• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Ala Alba

Finished it in around 7 hours, 99%, missing one life and one energy cell, bit disappointed by that.

I had 100% of the map outside of the last dungeon, and all upgrades but couldn't see a life or energy cell on the map, so I figured they would be in the dungeon. Nope.

May redo it again 100% in under 3 hours some time. Shouldn't be too hard, just rush till the last ability then get all the upgrades easily

There is one energy cell in the last dungeon.

Thomaaaaas!

I.

Want.

My.

Ori.

Plushie.

i-want-it-now-veruca-salt-gif.gif

Is there a store for Ori merchandise? Would love a shirt or something.

Finished the game last night. What a fantastic experience.

The story ended on a perfect note and as much as I would enjoy a direct sequel to Ori, I hope Moon makes something new instead. It can even be a similar Metroidvania experience, but I hope it's in a new setting with a new story and characters.

Finished the game last night. What a fantastic experience.

The story ended on a perfect note and as much as I would enjoy a direct sequel to Ori, I hope Moon makes something new instead. It can even be a similar Metroidvania experience, but I hope it's in a new setting with a new story and characters.

I want to play as
the baby owl
in the sequel.

Do we have any indication on how it's done sales wise?

Its finally dropped to no 13 on the UK top selling store, although its done based on downloads and is preceded by Rayman, F2P games, trials etc.

Ive checked it everyday and thats definitely the lowest its been. Was 5th and 6th I think on the Steam store for the weeks after?

Obviously anecdotal, but can't be bad signs.

More anecdotal evidence, but over 10,000 people on TrueAchievements have it on their tag. For reference, Sunset Overdrive only has 66,000 people with it on their tag on TA, give or take. The Walking Dead (telltale games), with as long as it's been out, only has 16,000 people with it on their tag (and TA has a large % of achievement/gamerscore hunters, with TWD games being easy gamerscore and thus very popular on TA).

That's prett big if you're familiar with the site, because smaller/digital-only games very, VERY rarely reach 10k gamers on TA within a month of release, let alone a couple weeks. And that's on top of the fact that it's $20, while most digital-only games on Xbox One are $10-15.

TA only has around 300,000 registered/tracked users, so I'm guessing Ori has passed at LEAST 100k-150k (maybe 200k) cumulative sales to date, assuming XB1 has a 6 million minimum install base. You can't compare that to AAA blockbusters that are shooting for millions of sales. For its segment, 100k-150k or more in 2 weeks seems pretty huge to me.

So yeah I think (hope) it's doing very well. Also with the fantastic word of mouth it should be a slow burn, with loads of slow and steady sales over the coming weeks/months.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
More anecdotal evidence, but I over 10,000 people on TrueAchievements have it on their tag. For reference, Sunset Overdrive only has 66,000 people with it on their tag on TA, give or take. The Walking Dead (telltale games), with as long as it's been out, only has 16,000 people with it on their tag (and TA has a large % of achievement/gamerscore hunters, with TWD games being easy gamerscore and thus very popular on TA).

That's prett big if you're familiar with the site, because smaller/digital-only games very, VERY rarely reach 10k gamers on TA within a month of release, let alone a couple weeks. And that's on top of the fact that it's $20, while most digital-only games on Xbox One are $10-15.

TA only has around 300,000 registered/tracked users, so I'm guessing Ori has passed at LEAST 100k-150k (maybe 200k) cumulative sales to date, assuming XB1 has a 6 million minimum install base. You can't compare that to AAA blockbusters that are shooting for millions of sales. For its segment, 100k-150k or more in 2 weeks seems pretty huge to me.

So yeah I think (hope) it's doing very well. Also with the fantastic word of mouth it should be a slow burn, with loads of slow and steady sales over the coming weeks/months.

Ehmm ... Ori is not an Xbone exclusive, it's also out on the PC. The PC platform (Steam) is a hell of a lot bigger than Xbox One.

wouwie

After finishing the game, i had a look at my graphic card settings, updated my drivers,... and as a result, i can now play the game full screen (1366x768) instead of windowed mode (same resolution) and with mostly smooth framerates. It makes such a difference on a big tv, both in how the game looks and plays. I'm so happy about that and i spent most of the day replaying the game the way i should have done the first time. It's such an amazing game in so many ways.

jb1234

Played a couple more hours today. What a marvelous game (although the Ginso Tree escape was easier than I thought it would be, based on all the hype).

Just finished, and WOW!
Did not see those
Plot Twist
coming

Anyways, I loved the story, but the great gameplay alone has me wanting to dive back in and see how quickly I can finish it this time around.

Around 11 hours for my first play through, 400+ deaths, I leveled up all of the skill tree, but I couldn't find all the life/power cells....was missing one each, and they didn't show on map.

Ehmm ... Ori is not an Xbone exclusive, it's also out on the PC. The PC platform (Steam) is a hell of a lot bigger than Xbox One.

lifexpectancy didn't say it was exclusive?

Lol exactly. I never said it was exclusive. I was merely offering conjecture of what I think the potential XB1 sales have been so far.

Considering I ran a giveaway giving both XB1 AND Steam copies away, I'm fairly certain I was aware it was on Steam.

But man if you don't make sure to emphatically reinforce the existence of games on PC/Steam too in like, every post, the PC defense team will jump in ninja-quick lol. In hindsight maybe I could've said "at least 100,000-150,000 cumulative XB1 sales to date".

With that said, I hope it's crossed half a million TOTAL sales since we can safely include the tens of millions of folks on Steam. :)

Just finished, and WOW!
Did not see those
Plot Twist
coming

Anyways, I loved the story, but the great gameplay alone has me wanting to dive back in and see how quickly I can finish it this time around.

Around 11 hours for my first play through, 400+ deaths, I leveled up all of the skill tree, but I couldn't find all the life/power cells....was missing one each, and they didn't show on map.

Yeah they don't all show on the map, especially the ones hiding in 'secret areas' in the dungens that you can't go back to. There's one Energy Cell in the Ginso Tree and one in Misty Woods, and there's a Life Cell in Forlorn Ruins. The final Energy Cell is in Mt Huru as well as map stone fragment and map stone #8.

I made a video with every collectible except the ability cells (not required for achievements) in mostly chronological order (theres a couple I get late in the vid that you can get pretty early) on my KorbeKGaming youtube account if you plan on going back through for them, as well as an in-depth walkthrough on TrueAchievements.

Spasm

Ugh, I'm right at the point of no return, and everything is 100% except Forlorn Forest. Any word if they've gonna patch it so we can get back in there?

I'm at the wind temple escape sequence, and yeah, I think I'm done with this game's particular brand of trial-and-error bullshit. I wanted to love this game, but fuck it. Wasted $20.

Beat Ori this weekend. This was the best modern interpretation of an old-school type game that I have ever played. Really brought me back to my gaming roots. I hope we see more like it from Moon studios and others.

lt519

I'm at the wind temple escape sequence, and yeah, I think I'm done with this game's particular brand of trial-and-error bullshit. I wanted to love this game, but fuck it. Wasted $20.

There's a cue for everything that falls or rises in that escape sequence. Even the bursts of waters have cues. I hate trial and error as much as the next guy but there are only a couple things you have to learn in this sequence that I'd consider hard to do on the first go.

chrixter

Purchased this today and played a bunch. It wasn't until I got Bash that the gameplay started to hook me, and now I finally feel like I'm playing something fresh. I hope the remaining mechanics are just as interesting. I'm finding the difficulty to be just right for the most part; did the fantastic Ginso Tree escape with little trouble.

My only issue so far, and it's a minor one, is with Spirit Flame's slight downtime. This game's strong suit isn't in its combat, and I wish I could just spam the hell out of my projectiles to get enemy encounters over with more quickly.

Otherwise, great game. Top notch visuals and a nice soundtrack. My favorite game of the year thus far.

Replayed the game start to finish yesterday, getting all cells and maps. Got a 3h10 time, think it's decent considering I didn't really rush and died a few times (about 100). I found you can easily softlock in the second dungeon, and I think it's bullshit that there's cells in the dungeons (and really hidden well, no hint at all like you can see them but not the path to get to them)
Still hate the water escape, the water rises too fast, even if you're experimented it's very easy to die. Got the wind escape and fire escape on first try...

Will probably try to beat the game under 2 hours soon. Got a few other achievements I don't wanna bother trying (no skill point used, no death. oh and 100% secrets, don't even know what that is)

I beat the game (with 264 deaths). What an experience! The escapes were obviously the highlights of the game for me but the first one was absolutely the best. I'm going to be going back and playing it again sometime this summer.

Pros:

+ Amazing platforming
+ The controls were great for the average platform levels
+ Bash is an awesome skill
+ Animation is top notch, like Disney level animation.
+ The Ginso Tree was so much fun

Cons:

- Sometimes
especially during the last escape
activating the "cannon ball drop" can be difficult in a tense moment.
- The were rooms where you had to kill everyone in there to open the exit but they were so similar to each other. I would have liked those rooms better if those rooms had mini-bosses that were more interesting to kill than those worm things.

Those two things aside, I absolutely loved the game and gave it my second highest rating.

Wish the patch would come out, purposely holding off playing this till it releases, just because I know if I played for hours and got one of the bugs that prevents progress I'd never return to the game.

Still annoying that games release with such game breaking bugs, no matter how rare they supposedly are.

Really amazing game and i hope Moon studio make more games like these !!!

I love tight platforming in the vein of "Super Meat Boy" and this is exactly my kind of stuff !

Love it and those graphics... damn, so nice !

I'm not done with it yet and i don't want it to end...

welly_59

Neo Member
I've got myself into a situation I can't get out of. I made my way to a secret area, which required jumping on spikes to get to. Once I got there I used my only soul link to save the game. Now I don't have enough health to make it back and I have saved the game in that place. Anyone able to console me or am I SOL?

I've got myself into a situation I can't get out of. I made my way to a secret area, which required jumping on spikes to get to. Once I got there I used my only soul link to save the game. Now I don't have enough health to make it back and I have saved the game in that place. Anyone able to console me or am I SOL?

Are you referring to the one in sorrow pass or whatever it's called, the area with air currents where you get the charge jump ability? If you're where I think you are, and you're at the very top in that area with spikes all around you and a secret area with a keystone in it (which is where I'm guessing you are), you're SOL most likely if you don't have Triple Jump unlocked. You MIGHT be able to make it out with a VERY well timed double jump combined with your feather floating on right trigger. Try jump, float, double jump, float and see if you can make it out. At least if you're where I think you are. Need you to describe your exact location. Do you have a backup of your save file at an earlier point?

if I liked shadow complex will I like this?

only problem is I like guns and graphics

It's such a shame Ori doesn't have graphics.

Anyone that genuinely doesn't believe Ori has amazing graphics is either blind or ignorant. Things don't have to be 3D polygon-packing real-world-simulating to be good graphics. Ori is, by almost universal accord among reviewers and gamers, an extremely beautiful game. It takes both graphics and art style to be beautiful, and Ori has those in spades. But I guess since it's a subjective thing people are welcome to be crazy and think it 'doesn't have graphixxz'.

Purchased this today and played a bunch. It wasn't until I got Bash that the gameplay started to hook me, and now I finally feel like I'm playing something fresh. I hope the remaining mechanics are just as interesting. I'm finding the difficulty to be just right for the most part; did the fantastic Ginso Tree escape with little trouble.

My only issue so far, and it's a minor one, is with Spirit Flame's slight downtime. This game's strong suit isn't in its combat, and I wish I could just spam the hell out of my projectiles to get enemy encounters over with more quickly.

Otherwise, great game. Top notch visuals and a nice soundtrack. My favorite game of the year thus far.

Do you use your charge flame much? I hear tons of folks say that the combat is boring, and they're usually just spamming spirit flame. If you combine charge flame, bash, slam, spirit flame, and (toward the end of the game) charge jump the combat is aces and can offer plenty of variety.

Any news on the 360 version? I hear the XBO version has a few hiccups already.

I'm wondering this too. Can't wait to double dip for more gamerscore, since I'm playing the crap outta it anyway. Someone asked me what's wrong with me and why I'm so obsessed with Ori. It's the first game since 2006 that I've played relentlessly even after getting all the achievements.

chrixter

Do you use your charge flame much? I hear tons of folks say that the combat is boring, and they're usually just spamming spirit flame. If you combine charge flame, bash, slam, spirit flame, and (toward the end of the game) charge jump the combat is aces and can offer plenty of variety.
I'll try that, thanks!

Just finished the Misty Woods and man, Bash is one of the best platforming mechanics ever. It completely changes how I think about traversal in these kinds of games in the sense that projectiles should not necessarily be avoided but rather thought of as platforming opportunities. I love using it even when it isn't even necessary because the way it maintains the flow of gameplay is so satisfying. I feel like the game should really give Bash to you from the beginning. It's what differentiates Ori's gameplay from other platformers for me. I can't think of anything else like it.

I'll try that, thanks!

Just finished the Misty Woods and man, Bash is one of the best platforming mechanics ever. It completely changes how I think about traversal in these kinds of games in the sense that projectiles should not necessarily be avoided but rather thought of as platforming opportunities. I love using it even when it isn't even necessary because the way it maintains the flow of gameplay is so satisfying. I feel like the game should really give Bash to you from the beginning. It's what differentiates Ori's gameplay from other platformers for me. I can't think of anything else like it.

Definitely try it. If you master the intricacies of the combat you can become a floating angel of death, dealing destruction whilst never touching the ground. I only wish the game had MOAR enemies so I could explore the possibilities with the combat mechanics further!

Bolded bit - But that's what makes it a metroidvania. Those restrictions that open up and fall away as you gain abilities are part of its allure. Just think how boring it would be if you had charge flame, double jump, bash, slam, and charge jump all off the start. You'd just run straight to Mt Huru and be done with the game in 30 minutes. :)

as lifeexpectancy said, the key to combat is mastering the ability tree. spirit flame is versatile, but if you really want to plow through enemies, you'll need to make use of bash, stomp, charge jump, and most importantly charge flame. i saved some of my favorite battles from a while back:

https://vid.me/iPi6
https://vid.me/QbPJ
https://vid.me/Wtdt
https://vid.me/Ec9o

the combat is so fun.

Definitely try it. If you master the intricacies of the combat you can become a floating angel of death, dealing destruction whilst never touching the ground. I only wish the game had MOAR enemies so I could explore the possibilities with the combat mechanics further!

Bolded bit - But that's what makes it a metroidvania. Those restrictions that open up and fall away as you gain abilities are part of its allure. Just think how boring it would be if you had charge flame, double jump, bash, slam, and charge jump all off the start. You'd just run straight to Mt Huru and be done with the game in 30 minutes. :)

after seeing some of those speed runs, i wouldn't be surprised if somebody manages to do it in 30 minutes anyway.

as lifeexpectancy said, the key to combat is mastering the ability tree. spirit flame is versatile, but if you really want to plow through enemies, you'll need to make use of bash, stomp, charge jump, and most importantly charge flame. i saved some of my favorite battles from a while back:

https://vid.me/iPi6
https://vid.me/QbPJ
https://vid.me/Wtdt
https://vid.me/Ec9o

the combat is so fun.

after seeing some of those speed runs, i wouldn't be surprised if somebody manages to do it in 30 minutes anyway.

The XB1 leaderboard has someone with a 30-something (33 or 36) minute completion time with only 40-something % of the game completed. Of course they were using save/quit shenanigans (0 deaths means it's obvious they did, because no one has done a perfect run including the skips like iceless/climbless with 0 deaths yet AFAIK) to skip cut scenes and erase deaths/mistakes, but still that's pretty impressive. It basically means a 'perfect' any % speedrun could theoretically be done in the low 30 minutes time frame tops.

I dunno if I'll bother learning the glitches/skips for any % running. I'm currently trying to master 100% running, which has a #1 time of 1hr 40minutes on XB1 so my goal is to come as close to that as I can. Of course to get that time you HAVE to do some of the cut scene skips, but if I can get a flawless 100% run done with 0 deaths where my only saving and quitting is for the cut scene skips, I'm ok with that.

@ThomasMahler - If there's any way to add 'ghosts' from the leaderboards that would be so awesome for speed running. Letting us see the top runners' ghosts to practice routes would be fantastic. If not for this game, maybe for the next! (if it has speedrunning angles anyway) :)

WR is currently 45'07 (real time), and this is missing skips, has a few mistakes, and I'm sure there will be more skips found in the future.

It will probably go as low as sub 35 imo

Finished in two sittings

290 deaths. 100 + because of the
lava place, so many things that one shot you in there.

Overall one of the best games I have ever played. Thanks to Gaffer Bornstellar for the giveaway.

WR is currently 45'07 (real time), and this is missing skips, has a few mistakes, and I'm sure there will be more skips found in the future.

It will probably go as low as sub 35 imo

Yeah that's what I was saying. A run using save/quit to erase mistakes is already on XB1 with around that time. I'm not home so I can't check the XB1 leaderboards but I recall it being like 33 or 36 minutes. So if someone could pull it all off in one run with zero or only a couple deaths I could see a 35min time.

Top Bottom