• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the bad videogame webcomics, which is the worst?

Toad.T

Banned
So a topic that for some reason has been parading around in my mind lately is videogame webcomics. More so, how few good ones are out there (Castle Vidcons, maybe Brawl In The Family on a good day) compared to the mountains of hated ones on GAF (CAD, Modern PA, VG Cats, and so on...).

Of course, this leads to the inevitable question: Out of all the strips out there, which one is the cream of the crop of crap? CAD's got all of those issues regarding the strip and it's creator, VG Cats stretches it's jokes out for way too long and is usually late to the party, Penny Arcade's tossed away its comic roots to focus more on the enterprise it has spawned, (Expos! Video Series! Games! Kickstarters! Podcasts!) the list can go on and on due to the sheer number of comics out there. There's a lot of possible debate.

Me personally? I just go "meh" at a lot of them. Not really laughing, but not cringing either. But if someone was holding me up at gun point and forcing me to choose, I'd say Corpse Run, if only because it feels so derivative and very "me-too"-ish. Even then, however, it still gets a few smirks from time to time. Perhaps I'm being to kind to the creators, I can't help it, I'm just like that. Other Gaffers will probably rip these and other series to shreds, though.

HUELEN10

CAD, CAD, easily CAD; this is coming from a person who spent real money on the damn DVDs. It's just shit, not to mention the controversies surrounding the author.

CAD, CAD, easily CAD; this is coming from a person who spent real money on the damn DVDs.

Well at least your money went to getting him the expensive supplies he needed to really demonstrate his artistic capabilities.

jAv6u.gif

Penny Arcade's tossed away its comic roots to focus more on the enterprise it has spawned, (Expos! Video Series! Games! Kickstarters! Podcasts!) the list can go on and on due to the sheer number of comics out there.

I don't really see how that reflects on the comic, though.

HUELEN10

Especially since he exposed himself to an extremely underage girl.

Great guy!

Well at least your money went to getting him the expensive supplies he needed to really demonstrate his artistic capabilities.

jAv6u.gif

Don't remind me. I fucking bought the DVDs of season 1and paid for CAD Premium. Worst money I've ever spent on game-related shit, and I've bought multiple copies of Sonic 06, Bomberman Act Zero, and Mad Catz controllers for 5th gen systems. Perhaps I am being unfair to it because I wasted on it, but has it actually gotten better? Haven't read anything in like 2 months.

sn00zer

I have no idea why people dont like vgcats...probably my favorite videogame webcomic....seriously...I think people largely love to just hate on it
EDIT: There is a legitimately terrible comic about a gamer girl which has no jokes or punchlines....its very strange

Don't remind me. I fucking bought the DVDs of season 1and paid for CAD Premium. Worst money I've ever spent on game-related shit, and I've bought multiple copies of Sonic 06, Bomberman Act Zero, and Mad Catz controllers for 5th gen systems. Perhaps I am being unfair to it because I wasted on it, but has it actually gotten better? Haven't read anything in like 2 months.

I mean, aside from maybe spending more time on his work, it still looks haphazard. More of the same, really. Sometimes filling up entire panels with text, looking lazy in the process. So no, I guess not.

I have no idea why people dont like vgcats...probably my favorite videogame webcomic....seriously...I think people largely love to just hate on it
EDIT: There is a legitimately terrible comic about a gamer girl which has no jokes or punchlines....its very strange

Because the guy who writes it is politically right-winged and GAF refuses to acknowledge that this is a perfectly valid and alternative opinion to its mob-mentality.

I kid, I kid. But from what I've heard, the dude has some rather peculiar views on things.

Here's a good resource for why people hate this comic: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/VG_Cats

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. Couldn't multi-quote for some reason.

sn00zer

Because the guy who writes it is politically right-winged and GAF refuses to acknowledge that this is a perfectly valid and alternative opinion to its mob-mentality.

I kid, I kid. But from what I've heard, the dude has some rather peculiar views on things.

Here's a good resource for why people hate this comic: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/VG_Cats

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. Couldn't multi-quote for some reason.

ehhhh so what? Its not like he's Roman Polanski or Orson Scott Card or something....not going to spend time defending the guy but unless he has some seriously crazy racist opinions or something I cant imagine it being too bad...also the expression and art work are better than most webcomics

jay

What's that one about the girl who plays video games? You know the one, it's terrible. Probably worse than CAD.

ehhhh so what? Its not like he's Roman Polanski or Orson Scott Card or something....not going to spend time defending the guy but unless he has some seriously crazy racist opinions or something I cant imagine it being too bad...also the expression and art work are better than most webcomics

"...These bad jokes gradually descend deeper and deeper until they reach improper sex stunts, raping, nudity, penis disfigurement, sodomy, carnage after carnage, pissing, author self-indulgence, and just about any low subject one would hope not to bring up in public. People, I'm talking about 2001-2004 here! By the time we get to 2005, it's at least two of the latter for each strip. By 2008, two per panel."

That's according to the website I quoted. Couldn't find too many examples, but eh, whatever, not gonna waste my time LOOKING to be offended, lol.

sn00zer

"...These bad jokes gradually descend deeper and deeper until they reach improper sex stunts, raping, nudity, penis disfigurement, sodomy, carnage after carnage, pissing, author self-indulgence, and just about any low subject one would hope not to bring up in public. People, I'm talking about 2001-2004 here! By the time we get to 2005, it's at least two of the latter for each strip. By 2008, two per panel."

That's according to the website I quoted. Couldn't find too many examples, but eh, whatever, not gonna waste my time LOOKING to be offended, lol.

kinda seems what that website did haha

Top Bottom