• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over $600 Million Later, Scam Citizen Is Now at the Alpha 3.20 Stage

Gideon

I'm not ready to call it a scam just yet, since it could technically come out by 2030ish, but I'm fully expecting them to give up at some point and run away with all the donations and become a the biggest scam 🙂

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought it was basically a 3D NFT viewer. Oh wait, we’re supposed to be praising SC now in some 4D chess attack.
No, no no, don't get it twisted.

If SC devs announced hypothetically that "we are gold, we are a game now," but kept on keeping on, would they now be "a game?"

Is it the "words into the ether?"

Not defending, just inquiring the thought process paradigm.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Are we to believe the average backer has contributed over $100M each???

There is something really off here.

Last edited:

Kilau

Are we to believe the average backer has contributed over $100M???

There is something really off here.
Your maths is what’s off.
No, no no, don't get it twisted.

If SC devs announced hypothetically that "we are gold, we are a game now," but kept on keeping on, would they now be "a game?"

Is it the "words into the ether?"

Not defending, just inquiring the thought process paradigm.
I thought Squadron 42 is the game and what’s available is just a ship viewer. I tried it free years ago and there was nothing to do.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I thought Squadron 42 is the game and what’s available is just a ship viewer. I tried it free years ago and there was nothing to do.
Squadron 42 is the single player and that I agree completely with. But the multiplayer is Star Citizen.

Take PUBG for example. It was in "early access" for a while, despite having a retail copy for Xbox. Nothing had changed in their development pipeline to the game of GaaS additions, other than them finally saying that "we are no longer early access and a game."

It was still being sold as early access before "we are a game" and after at the same price. The additions and flow content stayed the same. Maybe kicked up a bunch to the colorful extent to go after that Fortnite money like CoD, but I digress.

It seems GaaS is the same before and after "early access," only the "words spoken into the ether" is what changes.

Last edited:

Kilau

Squadron 42 is the single player and that I agree completely with. But the multiplayer is Star Citizen.

Take PUBG for example. It was in "early access" for a while, despite having a retail copy for Xbox. Nothing had changed in their development pipeline to the game of GaaS additions, other than then finally saying that "we are no longer early access and a game."

It was still being sold as early access before "we are a game" and after at the same price. The additions and flow content stayed the same. Maybe kicked up a bunch to the colorful extent to go after that Fortnite money like CoD, but I digress.

It seems GaaS is the same before and after "early access," only the "words spoken into the ether" is what changes.
I was just trying to make a funny!

homer simpson crying GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Only watch the first bit. Just listen to the contempt he has for the people funding the game. Stop posting CIGs curated "trailers" hardly reflective of the actual product.
You would seriously have some mental deficiency to still give them money.

Thanks for posting this, gives us a bigger idea of the state of this scam.

supernova8

Banned
If someone reads all the bad press about Scam Shittysun being a scam and then still spends money on it then they don't deserve anyone's sympathy.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I.... spent 250€s on this game.... i´m part of the problem. But i had a lot of fun with it. So i´m ok with the cash i spent.
I've spend 60$ in 2018 and it was fun in the beginning. Now I just occasionally reading about updates. Maybe try again after big update.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I kickstarted it way back when for around $40. And honestly I think Star Citizen is an incredible and immersive experience, and also grossly mismanaged as fuck.

The leak, if true, about SQ42 is a bit disappointing though.

Utherellus Utherellus are you able to link to the source of those leaks?

Last edited:

Kerotan

I'm not ready to call it a scam just yet, since it could technically come out by 2030ish, but I'm fully expecting them to give up at some point and run away with all the donations and become a the biggest scam 🙂
My son will be like 8 by then. How is this even reality. We'll be playing a ps6 before this is finished.

Kerotan

I think calling it 'Scam Citizen' these days is a bit much.

It's very clearly reached an enjoyable state for what you pay. At least compared to Starfield.
Scamfield, Scam Citizen, No Man's Scam. Lot's of sucker's in space it seems.

Topher

Gold Member

No, the game is an MMO. It is a completely playable game although glitchy as hell and performance kind of sucks.

Hudo

And this is the reason why Microsoft demanded that Chris Roberts leaves the project back when they were taking over producing Freelancer (one of my favorite games of all time). Chris Roberts really needs a producer who can say no.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Honestly the "scam citizen" people just sound like your generic angry Joe overweight basement dwelling angry gamer at this point who have 0 actual knowledge on the product and what is available and what is being promised etc. It's quite obvious the people who haven't spent more than 5 seconds to learn more about what the game ACTUALLY is and where it's at.

It suffers from disgusting feature creep and had huge mismanagement issues for many years. But a scam it is not, there is a product there and you can play it, there isn't any money embezzlement or people running away with all the profits so again calling it a scam is kind of childish. A poor investment 🤷‍♂️ sure, depends who you ask, but no not a scam.

As for the game i paid $40 watch it grow over many years like an actual live service game (compared to getting a le Bron skin, wow) and it had delivered more fun for me collectively over the years than most AAA games that release at $70 In a largely broken state with 0 ambition.

So if you aren't just someone arguing in bad faith because it's cool on the internet to shout scam and smear your feces on your face, I'd recommend at least looking more into it. It's definitely not in a very good state and it's definitely not for everyone, but it's definitely something unique and has huge lofty ambitions which who knows, maybe one day it will actually release.

They often have free fly weekends, form your own opinion, try it. Don't watch a youtuber scream and make a fuss about things they clearly don't have the mental capacity to understand.

Last edited:

Utherellus

I kickstarted it way back when for around $40. And honestly I think Star Citizen is an incredible and immersive experience, and also grossly mismanaged as fuck.

The leak, if true, about SQ42 is a bit disappointing though.

Utherellus Utherellus are you able to link to the source of those leaks?

Sure, it from Pipeline, discord server dedicated to Star Citizen/Squadron 42 news, data mining and leaks. They have connections to ex/current devs so the info is reliable.

Buggy Loop

Apparently Squadron 42 will be at this year’s citizencon next month. Maybe we should start a poll to bet on the likelihood..

fE8wCgTV1z00.png

But it would make sense considering how internally they had a trailer prepared 10 months ago (leaked 10 months ago, might be older internally) that showcases SQ42

They’re taking stabs at Starfield with that OP’s image of seamless worlds. I think Chris is the kind of guy who will take advantage of a slight Starfield not delivering to every tastes drama and go full SQ42 hype mode.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly the "scam citizen" people just sound like your generic angry Joe overweight basement dwelling angry gamer at this point who have 0 actual knowledge on the product and what is available and what is being promised etc. It's quite obvious the people who haven't spent more than 5 seconds to learn more about what the game ACTUALLY is and where it's at.

It suffers from disgusting feature creep and had huge mismanagement issues for many years. But a scam it is not, there is a product there and you can play it, there isn't any money embezzlement or people running away with all the profits so again calling it a scam is kind of childish. A poor investment 🤷‍♂️ sure, depends who you ask, but no not a scam.

As for the game i paid $40 watch it grow over many years like an actual live service game (compared to getting a le Bron skin, wow) and it had delivered more fun for me collectively over the years than most AAA games that release at $70 In a largely broken state with 0 ambition.

So if you aren't just someone arguing in bad faith because it's cool on the internet to shout scam and smear your feces on your face, I'd recommend at least looking more into it. It's definitely not in a very good state and it's definitely not for everyone, but it's definitely something unique and has huge lofty ambitions which who knows, maybe one day it will actually release.

They often have free fly weekends, form your own opinion, try it. Don't watch a youtuber scream and make a fuss about things they clearly don't have the mental capacity to understand.

If the game is a "scam" then it is the most transparent scam ever conceived. Every person giving money knows exactly what the state of the game is in. All that "feature creep" is well documented and presented on a regular basis and yet folks keep giving money. I'd say the biggest problem I have with all of it is that the business model seems to have become a way of extending development and keeping the backer money flowing. Still doesn't make it a scam though. No one is being fooled here. Even the guys who are paying thousands for the big ships know what they are paying for.

Having said all of that, I think going to beta is long over due. Features can be added post-release. Plenty of games have shown that. The performance and glitches are what keep me from jumping back into the game. Sucks too because this game is exactly the type of game I really enjoy. That's why I'm a fan of Rebel Galaxy, Everspace, Elite Dangerous and Starfield. But none of those games come close to scope of Star Citizen. I don't think a lot of the haters really understand that.

StueyDuck

If the game is a "scam" then it is the most transparent scam ever conceived. Every person giving money knows exactly what the state of the game is in. All that "feature creep" is well documented and presented on a regular basis and yet folks keep giving money. I'd say the biggest problem I have with all of it is that the business model seems to have become a way of extending development and keeping the backer money flowing. Still doesn't make it a scam though. No one is being fooled here. Even the guys who are paying thousands for the big ships know what they are paying for.

Having said all of that, I think going to beta is long over due. Features can be added post-release. Plenty of games have shown that. The performance and glitches are what keep me from jumping back into the game. Sucks too because this game is exactly the type of game I really enjoy. That's why I'm a fan of Rebel Galaxy, Everspace, Elite Dangerous and Starfield. But none of those games come close to scope of Star Citizen. I don't think a lot of the haters really understand that.
I absolutely agree with what you are saying, the game, management, feature creep and so on are all entirely worth criticizing and I don't think anyone here is evangelizing the game. But the whole calling it a scam and pretending like there isn't anything there at all irks me a bit, it's clearly coming from people who have 0 interest in the game and are being painfully obtuse in everything they say. You can always tell when someone hasn't actually played a game.

I would agree it's overdue a beta but after 3.20 release i think maybe later haha, they still haven't figured out a proper way to roll out their big updates. I do think a SQ42 demo is necessary however.

Last edited:
On one hand investing in some cases thousands of dollars into a game, even an unfinished product, seems nuts to me. But any preordering is to me.
On the other hand; if these people actually enjoy it so much that they think it's worth it to them, then why not and why should I care.

As a cheapass gamer I also don't really see why people have to buy games for 50, 60, 70$ when I get the very same game just later and much cheaper, and sometimes not even the same game, but a better one, because the undeclared open beta is done then.

I am also not able to enjoy any game for hundreds or thousands of hours, even the best thing get's boring and repetitive, but some people do and when they spent an enourmos amount of money on those special titles it's relatively comparable and kinda fairer to the dev than just paying a usually one time price and using it for insane hours.

The game. Is never. Coming out.

99% of us know and accept that fact.

Edit: We’ve been having threads like this since *2015*, folks. It ain’t ever coming out. The company founders have figured out a really nice gravy train to live a lavish lifestyle off the backs of game devs working on a game that everyone knows is never going to be finished. At this point the whole design of the game even implies this. If they ever risk coming close to needing to release a commercial product, they’ll just move the goalpost again to avoid having to release a product like every over game company. How some people still can’t see this is completely baffling, tbh.

Last edited:
I don't know why people call this a scam. They aren't tricking anyone to give them money. They don't exactly hide what their doing. It takes literally not even 5 minutes to figure out what state this game is in before you buy it.

People companies that companies rush games. Or they can be like Skull and Bones where they basically never come out and are in development hell.

This game is in between that and people have problem with it. You know what you're getting if you buy into this game, plain and simple.

Who gives a shot if it's in development for the next 10 to 20 years. Tons of games are already like this. Apex Legends, Rainbow Six, literally every live service game. The only difference is that they officially are "released".

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Sure, it from Pipeline, discord server dedicated to Star Citizen/Squadron 42 news, data mining and leaks. They have connections to ex/current devs so the info is reliable.

Thanks mate. Grim reading but also not really surprising either.

I mentioned a year ago on one of the usual Scam Citizen threads here, that server meshing and the replication architecture is a serious engineering task and it's probably one of the core performance blockers. I hope they pull it off.

Last edited:
Starflop fanboys growing increasingly nervous...

"SCAM citizen will never be finished!"

"No Man's Sky isn't a REAL game!"

"Space flight and seamless transitions aren't important in a space exploration game!"

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hey they got 45 bucks out of me. I don't regret the purchase. The concept is cool as hell.

Only suckers are those who keep buying these ships 11 years later.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SQ42 - I completely forgot about it :messenger_grinning_smiling: BTW why so many are waiting for this game? What is so special with it?
Id imagine because it's hopefully the standalone single player version of a $600 million game. I don't really have time or want to have the time for an MMO, but I would like to see what they can do in a single player version.

Last edited:
It is out though. You pay the money and you can play it.

And it's alpha is better than some released games.

🙄. LOL you know what I mean. The final game rollout, 1.0. Not some bullshit wishy washy “well, some small portions of what we’d like to create via our roadmap is now out for players to enjoy”

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Id imagine because it's hopefully the standalone single player version of a $600 million game. I don't really have time or want to have the time for an MMO, but I would like to see what they can do in a single player version.
It's interesting how this all works. Because it's like two games. How does priorities work and etc?... I mean that's why SC developing is so slow or it's unrelated? What quality we can expect from SQ42 - same as for SC or no? So much questions.

One thing I've always wondered about this financing campaign is the whereabouts of Chris Roberts. He's the main developer on Star Citizen and for the past 8 years has silently taken all the money and pulled an Andy Murray into the sunset.
Chris_Roberts_GDC_2012_%28cropped%29.jpg

Look at that $600 million shit-eating grin. Wing Commander was just a poor man's version of Elite. What an absolute hack and fraud.

Top Bottom