• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over $600 Million Later, Scam Citizen Is Now at the Alpha 3.20 Stage

Topher

Gold Member
One thing I've always wondered about this financing campaign is the whereabouts of Chris Roberts. He's the main developer on Star Citizen and for the past 8 years has silently taken all the money and pulled an Andy Murray into the sunset.
Chris_Roberts_GDC_2012_%28cropped%29.jpg

Look at that $600 million shit-eating grin. Wing Commander was just a poor man's version of Elite. What an absolute hack and fraud.

Taken all the money? So the rest of the company is working and developing the game for free?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Taken all the money? So the rest of the company is working and developing the game for free?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
Motherf****r they've been working on it for over a decade and they have $600 million in the bank. What's been shown thus far would make the accountant start to sweat.
I think the reason people like to shit on this game isn’t the time it’s taken, it’s the money. $600,000,000. That’s not a normal videogame development budget, and there’s really nothing in Star Citizen that could explain why it has cost so much. Somebody is making a huge profit.
plastic-man-batman-the-brave-and-the-bold.gif

Last edited:

Tams

🙄. LOL you know what I mean. The final game rollout, 1.0. Not some bullshit wishy washy “well, some small portions of what we’d like to create via our roadmap is now out for players to enjoy”

I don't know what you are getting at?

The game is already worth the lowest price you can pay for it. Buggy? Yes, but it still runs well enough.

'Alpha' is a bit of a misnomer for it, and it's only a label. You aren't getting an unplayable, ugly mess of a game.

I think you're too hung up on what games are labelled as; and not what they actually are.

calistan

The game has only been in full big boy development for 9 years. How many years was FF15 in development for? GTA6? Starfield? These things take time.
I think the reason people like to shit on this game isn’t the time it’s taken, it’s the money. $600,000,000. That’s not a normal videogame development budget, and there’s really nothing in Star Citizen that could explain why it has cost so much. Somebody is making a huge profit.

Topher

Gold Member
Motherf****r they've been working on it for over a decade and they have $600 million in the bank. What's been shown thus far would make the accountant start to sweat.

lol.....cool your jets man. Ain't worth all that. I'm pointing out that there a lot of people being paid to work on this game and Chris Roberts didn't run away with $600 million. If he did he would be in prison right now. But yeah, I'd agree they should be a lot further along with all that cash.

By the way, who is Andy Murray? Did you mean Sean Murray? No Man's Sky?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's really the way they have financed this and the expectations that go along with the crowd sourced funding method that cause all the scorn.
The $600 million hasn't just paid development costs but likely infrastructure, capital expenses, normal business costs, and no doubt a lot of advertising for more donations and also some massive bonuses
The head guy buys a yacht etc and people see the donations being stolen, meanwhile Kotick is taking a helicopter to go have lunch but we don't see our game purchase as paying for that in the same way. Ultimately the money comes from the people paying for games either way though.

Tams

That's not how it works.

The game has had a quite large development team working on it for almost a decade now. That is a massive ongoing cost.

Is it probably the most expensive game ever made? Yes. Did it need to be? Maybe. Was it was to be? Probably not.

calistan

It's really the way they have financed this and the expectations that go along with the crowd sourced funding method that cause all the scorn.
The $600 million hasn't just paid development costs but likely infrastructure, capital expenses, normal business costs, and no doubt a lot of advertising for more donations and also some massive bonuses
The head guy buys a yacht etc and people see the donations being stolen, meanwhile Kotick is taking a helicopter to go have lunch but we don't see our game purchase as paying for that in the same way. Ultimately the money comes from the people paying for games either way though.
Yes, it’s the whole paying for it all in advance thing that’s unusual. I mean, you get plenty of early access games doing that but this is on a different scale.

I personally don’t have a problem with it but I can see why it rubs people up the wrong way.

I think the hate for this game is that it being funded by essentially subscriptions and micro transactions.

GAF hates those two things even for finished games, much less an alpha.

anothertech

I backed this game. One of the lucky Corsair winners. I installed and started it up. Got stuck on an elevator then fell through the world. Haven't started it up since.

Might see if the jank is fixed with this patch. Don't have high hopes.

tr1p1ex

It is undeniable that the game LOOKS great. I pledged $100 ten years ago and that got me access to SC and the single player campaign (lol) Squadron 42. Since then, I've played the game a ton by myself, with friends. Exploring around, stealing peoples ships, doing missions, dogfighting, racing... I've had a lot of fun over the years and I don't feel like for the equivalent of $10 a year I've been scammed.

The game is only $45 to buy into today, and there's hundreds of hours of content to explore already. Ships can be purchased with in-game money, no need to purchase anything with real cash. I don't see what the fuss is about.

With games like Fire Emblem Heroes, FF7 Ever Crisis, NBA 2k, and so many others designed to fomo the shit out of you until you cough up tons of money... I don't see why Star Citizen in particular always gets the bad rap.

The fact of the matter is, for $45 you can play hundreds of hours of Star Citizen right now and never pay anything else in the game and still do everything there is to do.
You bring up a good point. A lot of people these days are happy to pay to be a game tester.

Last edited:

Ribi

One thing I've always wondered about this financing campaign is the whereabouts of Chris Roberts. He's the main developer on Star Citizen and for the past 8 years has silently taken all the money and pulled an Andy Murray into the sunset.
Chris_Roberts_GDC_2012_%28cropped%29.jpg

Look at that $600 million shit-eating grin. Wing Commander was just a poor man's version of Elite. What an absolute hack and fraud.
You should send this to the developers all employed at CIg.

Also how is it that elite got space legs 5+years after an alpha already had it?

Buggy Loop

Some peoples have no fucking clues how a scam works eh?

A scam is taking the money and fly away to remote islands under a new name, with as much money as you can

Stealing Mike D GIF by Beastie Boys

Not employing 1100 peoples and spend years and years making it with very difficult technological breakthroughs for a space sim engine.

Top Bottom