• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch gets Summer Games update (new mode in Weekly Brawl, new skins/etc)

benzopil

Looks like I'll be playing 24/7, don't want to have missing items in my collection. But this is a shitty move by Blizzard.

Wow. That sucks. I would have just bought track Tracer and BMX Reaper if it's a skin (lol). I just prestiged so I'll get a bunch of levels quickly which makes things a bit easier.

I appreciate the clarification that they will replace the existing loot boxes but that's still really weak sauce. Currency in this game could become essentially worthless if they release more limited edition stuff in this fashion.

I'm not an anti-DLC/cosmetic guy by any stretch but make the in-game currency not as an alternative is a serious bummer.

Hearthstone, which is F2P, lets you buy entire Adventures with in game money.

ekim

What if you can earn them in the new game mode?
The medal system would make perfect sense. You get the Tracer skin if you get Gold in eliminations after one match etc...

Syntax

Yeah, the heroes aren't $10 a piece.

Respect to frustrations, let's keep perspective here.

Depending on the longer-term availability of the Summer Games cosmetics (i.e. after August 22nd), it'd be better to simply allow players to purchase items directly.

Hanmik

itABGVV.jpg

ahem..

(not my pic, found it on twitter)

What if you can earn them in the new game mode?
The medal system would make perfect sense. You get the Tracer skin if you get Gold in eliminations after one match etc...

Your use of ellipses indicates how little you believe they'll do that. Like that train of thought is just giving up lol

Auctopus

I don't think letting players purchase the skins directly with real money is the answer, if they did that then why not just let us purchase Vanilla skins directly?

It's the limited time offer being tied in with the special loot boxes that bothers me. They know the more hardcore players are in the higher ranks now where levelling up happens less often. Doing 23 levels in a month is quite a tall order for a lot of people.

The skins should just be available via in-game currency. That way the player can make the decision "Do I purchase this limited time skin or keep saving for the Legendary I wanted?"

Mush

A warning to all, I've just purchased two lots of the 5x box bundles and they haven't shown up yet.

I'm on PS4.

MikeK

Neo Member
nope... found it on twitter.. you know I´m not German.. ;o)
Wow i just posted that like a Minute ago and now i see it here xD Spent 10€ on 11 boxes aaaand no boxes ingame. I guess the game needs a update for the boxes to appear.

Yukinari

Its funny to see this happen after so many people were upset with youtubers like Jim Sterling explaining how shitty and manipulative loot boxes are.

Now we have an even worse example where people will eventually shell out money because this is a limited time event. Just playing the game wont do you much good when theres 90 items with a chance to get dupes that dont help you at all.

Plum

Frankly this is inexcusable. Before you could play for 1,000 hours and get the majority of the items. Now if you can't play or pay enough in a limited time yiu will never be able to get the content. It's bad enough on a F2P game but in a $40 game like OW Blizzard should really know better.

duckroll

A warning to all, I've just purchased two lots of the 5x box bundles and they haven't shown up yet.

I'm on PS4.

Why would you expect them to? There has to be a content patch first to add the items. It'll probably be today during the normal time they usually patch stuff on Tuesdays.

Syntax

The skins should just be available via in-game currency. That way the player can make the decision "Do I purchase this limited time skin or keep saving for the Legendary I wanted?"

But players, especially the 100+ ones, are probably sitting on enough coin to cherry pick what they want. It'd eat into sales if they allowed that.

Squire

Banned
Depending on the longer-term availability of the Summer Games cosmetics (i.e. after August 22nd), it'd be better to simply allow players to purchase items directly.

Would it? I feel like people say this assuming the prices would be far far more favorable than they would be in reality. Someone posted on another page, they'd pay $3 for Track/Field Tracer, but I can't imagine Blozzard would sell that or any other epic/legendary skin for that price if that's what they wanted to do.

Auctopus

But players, especially the 100+ ones, are probably sitting on enough coin to cherry pick what they want. It'd eat into sales if they allowed that.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm glad it seems the skins only belong to Lucio, Tracer & Zarya. Zarya's the only one I play out of those three and even then it's not much.

Lucifon

This is really lame. It's made worse by the fact, outside of Ana bits, they're yet to add any new cosmetic stuff to the game. Now straight into the paid random boxes instead. If it was f2p sure, but it's not.

Edit - wait can you earn these in-game by playing?

zoukka

Frankly this is inexcusable. Before you could play for 1,000 hours and get the majority of the items. Now if you can't play or pay enough in a limited time yiu will never be able to get the content. It's bad enough on a F2P game but in a $40 game like OW Blizzard should really know better.

They'll get away with it. Blizzard fans are used to being f'd in the a 24/7 and they are still asking for more.

Plum

Then why have in-game currency at all if they're too money-hungry to let people use it for anything but Vanilla skins?

Syntax

Would it? I feel like people say this assuming the prices would be far far more favorable than they would be in reality. Someone posted on another page, they'd pay $3 for Track/Field Tracer, but I can't imagine Blozzard would sell that or any other epic/legendary skin for that price if that's what they wanted to do.

Loot boxes are still random. There is no guarantee you'll get anything you want. So the potential cost of acquiring items through the real money slot machine could be far more expensive than $10 to $15 a skin.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm glad it seems the skins only belong to Lucio, Tracer & Zarya. Zarya's the only one I play out of those three and even then it's not much.

The description says there are 90 Summer Games items including skins, emotes, and intros.

Then why have in-game currency at all if they're too money-hungry to let people use it for anything but Vanilla skins?

It's still useful to pick up items you haven't gotten through chance. And new character releases like Ana didn't have any restrictions in place as far as using in-game currency to buy all her stuff. The only limitation was placed on look boxes in that the loot is generated at the time earned, not opened. So you can't stockpile boxes and just open them when new stuff comes out.

Squire

Banned
I guess we can look forward to a 50 page thread when the Blizzcon skin(s) are cool-looking and you can only get them by buying the digital ticket for $40.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
limited time RNG loot box drops in a £40 game.......blizzard wth are you doing, this is unacceptable behaviour

I wouldn't care if they were loot-box only if they were permanently available, but this is just dumb. IMO limited edition skins should only be reserved for skill-based play whereas seasonal items should just be straight up given away for logging in at that specific time and, I dunno, carrying out challenges or something on those days.

maomaoIYP

I think the sports outfits are incredibly boring. I hope this isn't what blizzard had in mind for the summer skins, because holy shit this is bad.

Nyx

If these summer loot boxes replace regular ones for the time being, I'm happy that I'm about to prestige and start at lvl 1 again. :)

Mush

Why would you expect them to? There has to be a content patch first to add the items. It'll probably be today during the normal time they usually patch stuff on Tuesdays.

If you need me, I'll be jumping into the bottomless pit on Sanctum.

Lucifon

So the psn screenshot says "available to earn in-game". How are they going to let you choose loot boxes? Are we thinking a special brawl with a new game mode that earns loot boxes?

dity

This is really neat. I didn't expect to see this kind of content for the game, so this makes me really excited. I want to get all the items and skins!

Son Of D

So the psn screenshot says "available to earn in-game". How are they going to let you choose loot boxes? Are we thinking a special brawl with a new game mode that earns loot boxes?
Either it's a random chance of getting a summer box or all loot boxes become summer boxes for three weeks.

Syntax

Rewarding dedicated players who paid full price for your game and continue to play it regularly helping to keep the community alive. What an alien concept.

I'm not in agreement with this release model. But that's what makes the most logical sense to me.

duckroll

No one knows, because there is no goddamn press release yet. This is essentially a leak because some PSN stores updated earlier than others. Lol.

It's possible that during this period, ALL loot boxes are replaced with Summer ones. It's possible that you can earn them through some other mode. We don't know!

KyleCross

Limited time items always worry me in games, the rarity always makes me think it's gonna cause me to be hacked by someone or wants it, so I don't use them.

Top Bottom