• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

the one good thing about d/c is that when it's not my team it's cool because once one leaves and can't come back everyone else leaves. we were bound to lose illios until their rein d/c and couldn't get back in the match so we won a round because of that. last round they start to leave. so it was 6v2.

Leading from the front with Zen doesn't seem to me like a good way to climb.

just get a mercy to pocket you.

Danj

As someone that suffers from the same problem your objective time ain't there bruh. Get on the point / payload and tell your team to follow. I started doing that and got my ass from 1580 to 2110 in the last weeks.

Can't get on the point if no-one will support me, that's a good way to die quickly unless I have my ult. Then I just die 10 seconds later than usual lol

Yah, it's pointless to go solo q in Comp now. Need stacks.

Yeah, the quality of the games is totally different that's for sure.

Since I'm trying new stuff and testing settings I don't mind going solo because sometimes I'm playing like shit, and I'm also not touching the support class even if we have no healers.

Hopefully we can have a stack soon.

Comp has been an absolute joke since summer vacation started. No tanks no healers all dps who can't aim.

Had a 3 stack earlier...Hanzo widow genji, after we go down 0-2 and the team ask them to switch hanzo says...it's quick play who cares bro fuckin chill. Lulz

They had no idea they were even in a comp match...the fuck

Had a game today where we pushed the cart almost to the end of King's Row with my team being hanzo (me), widow, sym, genji, hog and another that I can't remember (it wasn't a healer, we didn't have one besides the payload lol). The other team was actually legit with 2-2-2, which made things even more funny.

Guess I'll start playing mercy too, only way to climb this season.

I've been having some mercys on my team that look like they are throwing as hard as the guy that picks widow after spamming thanks. Like going in front of the team, no fear whatsoever.

Okay, not that bad. I only ask because if I see another Mercy only player that was silver, gold, or plat during season 3 or 4 in my GM games I'm going to delete this game.

lmao

the one good thing about d/c is that when it's not my team it's cool because once one leaves and can't come back everyone else leaves. we were bound to lose illios until their rein d/c and couldn't get back in the match so we won a round because of that. last round they start to leave. so it was 6v2.

just get a mercy to pocket you.

I mean, yes, I've done it, but I don't think my heart could take that level of excitement as a regular strategy.

LiK

More Youtubers are tackling the topic of this shitty Comp season so far. Good to see them talk about it some more. If this keeps up, people are gonna quit that mode.

i used to be Team Voicechat but now... i see that it's pointless
Silence is usually the answer

I climbed solo and duo that way in previous seasons. I'm gonna go back to that if I decide to solo q. Haven't seen many buddies on from being burnt out from the event grind.

rulerk1

Did placements on my alt account and out of the six I played four had leavers on the other team. Others were steam rolls. Had a three stack who tilted thirty seconds into the match. We lost that one becuase we got off point in the last 30 seconds. 5-1 so far I guess
Why did I play qp all those years

Nimby

Banned
Abilities to remove/replace from the game:
Defense Matrix
Resurrection
Scatter Arrow

I am being serious about those too. DM and Res (I play a lot of Mercy too) are anti-fun, DM shuts down everything and Res makes it so everything you did was for naught. Scatter Arrow is just bullshit and random. I think they should work on replacing these abilities next, along with a Winston shield nerf.

This is coming from a rant Taimou made here. I still think he is huge d-bag, but I kinda sympathize with him here, his life sounds pretty fucked up.

Paltheos

Abilities to remove/replace from the game:
Defense Matrix
Resurrection
Scatter Arrow

I am being serious about those too. DM and Res (I play a lot of Mercy too) are anti-fun, DM shuts down everything and Res makes it so everything you did was for naught. Scatter Arrow is just bullshit and random. I think they should work on replacing these abilities next, along with a Winston shield nerf.

This is coming from a rant Taimou made here. I still think he is huge d-bag, but I kinda sympathize with him here, his life sounds pretty fucked up.

Defense Matrix is fine. It helps keep Soldier and Pharah in check and by no means stops everything. It only works from certain angles, and Dva's still defenseless against Zarya and Hog hook and can be fought, at least, by Mei and Sym. The stall of the ability's a bit strong but if I were to argue that point, I'd argue Mei's ice block should be adjusted first (which I think it should - you should be able to move Mei while she's frozen imo).

I don't have too big of a deal with Scatterarrow either. Learn that if you're in a hallway or enclosed space with a Hanzo on the enemy team, you're taking a risk. And even still, it's no guarantee, it's not even close to a certain kill. Yes, you can get killed by random scatters but the risk/reward for it isn't disproportionately in favor of the Hanzo.

I agree Resurrection's a bit much as is though. It's the same problem I have with Symmetra ult (either of them). Too much of the game hinges on finding something that could be anywhere that can quickly and easily turn the tides of the fight. There's no preparing for or counteracting them - There's just getting lucky and finding what you're looking for. Or failing and seeing Res/the entire enemy team leap out of a TP from a ledge you didn't check. It introduces an element of randomness to the game. And I hate that.

LiK

Like I said before, Rez Ult charge needs like a 15% increase. Gamechanging Ults shouldn't charge so quickly.

rulerk1

The universe was on my side for once and gave me good teammates l. We were gonna win after full holding Waychpoint. My power flick on and off. It thunders every ten minutes so how is this possible. The universe is sending me sign. Got placed plat because of it lol

Anne

I told y'all if Blizzard didn't change the way comp works, this season was going to be near unplayable. Dropped this game super hard until the queue system gets an overhaul. Haven't even touched a single game of comp. Looks like I made the correct choice.

I told y'all if Blizzard didn't change the way comp works, this season was going to be near unplayable. Dropped this game super hard until the queue system gets an overhaul. Haven't even touched a single game of comp. Looks like I made the correct choice.

In your opinion what do you think should be done?

What I've realized works for me is basically telling people what to do. I know it comes off to some as being a dick but i went on a 10 game winning streak just by telling people "alright lucio ult then we push followed by d.va and visor if we really need it". Haven't had any negative push back to it yet from the randoms I've gotten on my teams. Sometimes you need to hold peoples hands and give them a push.

LiK

Not even gonna do Placements?

Anne

In your opinion what do you think should be done?

Make a real solo queue, change MMR confidence to be based more on W/L and not as heavy on personal performance, make SR gain/loss more stable on the whole (they've done some to make this better but not quite enough IMO), up punishment on boosting/throwing by a huge margin.

Not even gonna do Placements?

Don't plan to. Don't care too much about gold guns, the decay system means I'd have to play more than I want to, and the ladder is in shambles to such a degree that high ranks aren't really valuable anymore.

Starting to get annoyed at how nobody in Quick Play wants to play anything other than DPS. Most of the matches I get in end up 4 DPS, 1 tank, 1 support (me).

LOL new excuse. "my other account is masters. idk why i'm stuck in plat here. yall suck"

bitch, looking at all your season with this account it's gold/plat.
LMFAO. gtfo

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
LOL new excuse. "my other account is masters. idk why i'm stuck in plat here. yall suck"

bitch, looking at all your season with this account it's gold/plat.
LMFAO. gtfo

The guy from the Unit Lost youtube channel is complaining about the same thing, except it's masters/GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhq0KYvVJM

My theory is that it's easier to tread water with a 50% win rate by simply not doing anything game losing, than it is to create game winning plays. So use an OP hero pre-nerf, or group with a strong player to a higher tier, and you can stay there forever.

The matchmaking system just fundamentally has to change. If I have a 90% winrate, why should I be paired with someone that has a 10% winrate to offset my success? Likely, I belong at a higher ranking, and this other person belongs at a lower ranking. The game goes out of its way to make it hard to go up or down, and I don't see how that's a good thing.

Anne

While I'm complaining, some issues around balance have popped up recently that I'm not much a fan of. Everything is revolving around D.Va/Winston in a way that's not very interactive.

Basically D.Va is stopping DPS form dying instantly to hard dive, but D.Va is also preventing that DPS from actually doing anything.

Quick sloppy ass opinion on who to pick in soloq. Top tiers I'm 100% confident on, past that it's kinda subjective and messy

ec25d175e6.png

Nimby

Banned
Blizzard's track record with balance hasn't been the best. I mean like with Reaper/McCree changes, these don't fix their biggest problems and it's not addressing the problems with dive (to be fair, I don't think the changes were meant to). Then when they finally do fix the problem with dive, it's Reaper or McCree meta because their changes were secretly OP, but couldn't be used because dive countered them.

It's pretty obvious what the issues are right now, Winston shield and DM shut down too much and create too much space for flankers to go crazy, also Lucio's increased heals means you can run Zen over Ana with less risk.

DM needs a longer cooldown before it regens or it needs a shorter duration altogether, but if it makes her shit again they should seriously just consider giving her a new ability. Winston shield just needs to be reverted to previous versions, Winston was only bad in triple tank along with most of the cast. And I kind of like the increased Lucio heals because it potentially leads to more diverse support comps, but it probably could stand to be dialed back a bit.

woolley

I've been cool with things for every comp season but at this point the only conclusion that I can come up with is that SR is complete bullshit. No matter how much better I do than everyone else, no matter what role I play I will always be stuck in Plat. I had a game today on Eichenwalde as Rein where I finished with Gold elims with 3 kills. How the fuck is that even possible? How are these people considered the same rank as me?

Anne

I'd rather them not nerf too much and try to make sideways moves instead. Tanks are still oppressive and some things are good, but that's not really the issue. More of the problem is that playing DPS or other mechanics heavy heroes over the course of any of the given metas just becomes increasingly less fun. A pretty large contributing factor to that is stuff like D.Va existing in general, but another part is them just not making mechanics very rewarding. Movement accel is still all kinds of fucked up, hit reg is constantly changing, and the tools to shut down that stuff are just insanely strong.

Idk. I'ma be elitist again or whatever, but I don't feel like the time I put in to learning how to aim, position, and use CDs should be so heavily mitigated by whatever basic thing tanks are doing. Every metagame is driven and decided by whatever busted ass CD tanks can keep throwing out it seems like :T

It's kinda why when I do even hop onto QP I mostly just play Tracer and Genji. Tracer in particular isn't as bound to her team. You get the right read and have the mechanics to follow it up and that's going to be well rewarded. Turns out since she's the only DPS that can really consistently do that she's also by far the best in the game :v

LiK

Duo queues with my bro Igor in Comp.

3-0. Good games tonight, thankfully. No trolls or throwers.

Also, we didn't use comms. The secret to winning.

I only played Zen and Zarya. Doing dat flexing.

(◕‿◕✿)

I actually used comms for two games on team chat haha. We were matching brazilians for some reason lol, they were nice. Close games, ggs.

Anne

So like, here's a bit of what I can gather from what the "Overwatch meta cycle" entails:

Patch happens to shit the power of tanks & healers
"Wow this patch is great, more viable heroes now"
Optimal tanking strat is figured out
"Well, there's still a lot of room to do things"
Tanking is optimized to a heavy degree
Now hero picks revolve around whether or not any given hero can work with or against optimized tank strat
"Wow, this meta sucks"
Patch alters how tanks work
Repeat

Like, I want to make some emphasis on something. Things that alter tanks (or Ana since she directly impacted tanks the most) change the metagame drastically basically every time they happen. Things that alter DPS rarely ever matter. We all remember S1 Genji? Character was insane. Was he really all that busted on his own? Nah. He got nerfed super severely and it looked like that was gonna hurt him pretty bad. In the end though it didn't matter, because he's just the most flexible DPS to work with the tank strats that pop up. Same thing with nerfing a hero like Soldier.

On the other side, buffing DPS rarely ever matters. A lot of DPS heroes have gotten buffs over time, and they never ever matter until a patch comes through that changes tanks. Maybe the buffs are actually too good and we just don't know, because the DPS never fit into the tanking strat. Hanzo just got crazy buffs and it didn't really matter for example. Roadhog needed several nerfs and a tank meta changing to get dropped out of pickrate.

So like, DPS influence on metagame feels basically nonexistent. You just pick whichever one works best into and with the current top tier tank strat. There are some exceptions to the tank thing though. 50% discord orb and old Ana all say hello. That being said, Ana really just affected how tanks could be played. 50% discord orb just made McCree slightly better and made Winston insane. In either case, it affected tanks, not DPS.

It really feels like no matter what, the metagame will always be driven by whatever the best tank set up is, and then you just have to work within what those tanks allow you to do and not do. There's not a lot of agency on the part of a DPS player to make something happen. Just follow the tanks. Supports are a bit more well balanced now too, and you're seeing the same shit happen. Zen works better than Ana with tanks, Ana gets crapped on more by dive. Nothing about those two heroes is really that far apart in power level, but one is way more existent than the other cause of how the strats work.

Idk. I feel like this is just going to keep happening until serious shake ups happen to the ways different roles can influence any given match.

hypernima

Banned

I've literally been trying to hit up PS4 gaf for duos all week.

Anne

What's up with Ana this season? I haven't been keeping up with patches -- is she basically done?

Supports in general are too squishy against aggro heroes. It's generally better to just pick Zen and try to win the DPS race and assume if you get caught out you're dead. Ana is only really picked on maps where she can be way out the way while still being effective.

Nimby

Banned
Ana is still good, just her heals get blocked by D.Va (surprise!) and Winston shield. Like I'm complaining about D.Va a lot, but she literally takes no skill to shut down a DPS, whereas with Ana she has to aim a slow-moving projectile with channel time to stop a nanoblade. For Ana it's pretty hype because you can actually say the enemy DPS got outplayed.

Changing the subject for a second: I kinda wish Sony would open the floodgates on crossplay, then Sony/MS to open the floodgates on keyboard/mouse so we can get crossplay between all platforms. I think that would be pretty neat honestly.

Ana is still good, just her heals get blocked by D.Va (surprise!) and Winston shield. Like I'm complaining about D.Va a lot, but she literally takes no skill to shut down a DPS, whereas with Ana she has to aim a slow-moving projectile with channel time to stop a nanoblade. For Ana it's pretty hype because you can actually say the enemy DPS got outplayed.

Changing the subject for a second: I kinda wish Sony would open the floodgates on crossplay, then Sony/MS to open the floodgates on keyboard/mouse so we can get crossplay between all platforms. I think that would be pretty neat honestly.

Sony thinking of the base. what's crossplay lul

Can't get on the point if no-one will support me, that's a good way to die quickly unless I have my ult. Then I just die 10 seconds later than usual lol

I've been thinking about your earlier post all day, since I often have very good/ great Zen games where we lose, and it's tough figuring out what I could have done better.

So, I've been paying attention tonight: I just got out of a game with 5 medals as Zen- 3 Golds and 2 Silvers. I was solo-healing and was on my game. We lost in 5 on Oasis in Overtime. What I noticed, throughout the game, was that- even though I was kicking ass with Healing and DPS- I was a second late on about 5 or 6 Healing Orbs, and those guys died. We probably would have won if I had been that much quicker, no matter how awesome I was otherwise.

So that's my advice, find where you can improve, even if it's by the smallest amounts. Stay alive better, even if it's .1 deaths per game better. Keep your view open, don't tunnel, and get that Orb on your guys and their guys as soon as possible. Also- peak/ alt-fire when you're not in the middle of the shit.

I've watched the vids you've posted, and you are correct in that you are better than where OW keeps you, but you also throw your hands up too easily. Don't tilt, even in micro amounts, and just improve as much as you can each game. You can and will climb.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

TheContact

I've been thinking about your earlier post all day, since I often have very good/ great Zen games where we lose, and it's tough figuring out what I could have done better.

So, I've been paying attention tonight: I just got out of a game with 5 medals as Zen- 3 Golds and 2 Silvers. I was solo-healing and was on my game. We lost in 5 on Oasis in Overtime. What I noticed, throughout the game, was that- even though I was kicking ass with Healing and DPS- I was a second late on about 5 or 6 Healing Orbs, and those guys died. We probably would have won if I had been that much quicker, no matter how awesome I was otherwise.

So that's my advice, find where you can improve, even if it's by the smallest amounts. Stay alive better, even if it's .1 deaths per game better. Keep your view open, don't tunnel, and get that Orb on your guys and their guys as soon as possible. Also- peak/ alt-fire when you're not in the middle of the shit.

I've watched the vids you've posted, and you are correct in that you are better than where OW keeps you, but you also throw your hands up too easily. Don't tilt, even in micro amounts, and just improve as much as you can each game. You can and will climb.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

Solo healing as Zen .. I feel you. It's not easy to win games with a zen solo healer no matter how well you do. His healing output just isn't enough

Neither Sony nor Microsoft would ever do such a thing when they're winning the generation console war handily, as one of them has each generation for the last 20 years. Best hope is that Sony gets cocky (likely) and Microsoft wins the next generation, and we get crossplay for all. In about 5 years.

Top Bottom