• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kito

Won Numbani attack with Symmetra (me) and five Tracers in quick play. No Winston, Bastion ult or molten core could stop us.

Symmetra is a beast at taking out Torb turrets and occasionally Bastion from range. Energy balls have a large hitbox, easy aiming, 2 of them kill a level 2 turret. Any turret damage you take whilst peeking are recovered thanks to your 100hp shields. A truly underrated attack character.

Won Numbani attack with Symmetra (me) and five Tracers in quick play. No Winston, Bastion ult or molten core could stop us.

Symmetra is a beast at taking out Torb turrets and occasionally Bastion from range. Energy balls have a large hitbox, easy aiming, 2 of them kill a level 2 turret. Any turret damage you take whilst peeking are recovered thanks to your 100hp shields. A truly underrated attack character.

I tried Symmetra on attack once and it was brutal. I think she's far more versatile than people think.

ISOM

Our group was getting annihilated on Illios and on the 2nd control point, I decided to switch up and go Widowmaker. We made the comeback and had them stop running their double Pharah comp. Feels good man.

Pooya

Ok, had some really good competitive games, climbed quite a bit, maybe I can get to 60 by the end of season now, lol.

KoTH, first round we go, the janky team comp, I pick lucio trying to carry all that maybe lol. We got rekt by the opponent who had mercy and lucio.

Next round, I called, we need two support to have a chance, someone else came up too and backed me up and I made the Mei switch to Reaper, that shitty team that got blown up in the first round went 3-1.

Somehow the opponents become stupid too after they were pressured and dropped their two support set up, instead played an awful tracer and mei, fine by me!

Mechanically people are like about the same in these mediocre average middle of the curve, they just have mostly no clue what to play and when, if you can get the word out and call the shots politely, people are likely to listen, they want to win here too. There is a good post on /r/competitiveoverwatch with some good advice for solo q. Lesson learned, use your mics or even type, it can go a long way. It helps to solo q at the time you would think more dedicated players would play too. Both teams were mostly prestige players. When it works out like this, comp is awesome, even if I lose I don't care, game was good. It might not work but sure it's worth trying.

xaosslug

i was surprised by how much play Junkrat gets in ranked. He seems to be a stalwart of every team composition I've faced so far.

I just had some awesome games with finalflame--we carried the hell out of two teams. Then we get screwed by a quitter on the opposite team, and the third match is sudden death that screwed us. The fourth match was horseshit; we couldn't carry them enough.

Literally meme. Read the chat:
E15BE47F77D684534216C7F4C3AF0F5EC5935B44

The physical limit of carrying people:

ISOM

Pretty obvious that the word on this is out and people are now intentionally doing it to screw over the other team.

Well, they'll eventually get theirs when they are banned for the season. The fuckkery should be expected the first couple of weeks.

Kito

I tried Symmetra on attack once and it was brutal. I think she's far more versatile than people think.

The amount of Tracers and Reapers I've killed by keeping a continuous spawn of turrets. People think her turrets have no utility on attack, but they protect against flankers.

finalflame

I just had some awesome games with finalflame--we carried the hell out of two teams. Then we get screwed by a quitter on the opposite team, and the third match is sudden death that screwed us. The fourth match was horseshit; we couldn't carry them enough.

Literally meme. Read the chat:

mfw
Ku66Nbk.jpg

cHinzo

We once had a Symmetra on Volskaya Industries attack who sneaked all the way to point B, to put her teleport down for us to use right after we took point A lol. The enemy team didn't know what him them when we all came from behind. :'D

I still can't play Symmetra though. Always instantly die when I try to zap people.

Just had a whole team of randoms in competitive in voice chat blame reaper solely for losing the game. It was gross. We were screwed regardless.

Zemm

Mechanically people are like about the same in these mediocre average middle of the curve, they just have mostly no clue what to play and when, if you can get the word out and call the shots politely, people are likely to listen, they want to win here too. There is a good post on /r/competitiveoverwatch with some good advice for solo q. Lesson learned, use your mics or even type, it can go a long way. It helps to solo q at the time you would think more dedicated players would play too. Both teams were mostly prestige players. When it works out like this, comp is awesome, even if I lose I don't care, game was good. It might not work but sure it's worth trying.

I think the RPS nature of the game means that whilst skill matters, it doesn't matter as much as in other games like CS or even TF2, and instead people need to be able to adapt and change heroes on the fly and stuff and so many people just struggle with that, I don't really understand why. If you can get a team with a strong base (i.e 2 support and 2 tanks and no shitty Hanzo or Genji or Mei) then you are in a good spot to do well.

I've been in teams that have destroyed the other, but then people get cocky and switch classes (example: Zenyatta instead of Mercy, Mei instead of Zarya) which gives us a shit team comp and we get destroyed back. I've also been on the reverse of that and made big comebacks because our team switches up and the other team changes what works. A lot of people still don't understand how important a good team comp is.

Chance

I think I need someone to explain a bit of Comp logic to me.

So we're defending on Route 66, and both teams do pretty awesome, but we're down to the last stretch. The payload is about halfway to the final point... the timer goes out, the match ends, and the defenders lose.

The payload didn't make it to the end, and the defenders lose? Is that a thing in competitive?

X-Frame

These past 2 days on PS4 I'm having lots of really exciting and intense games in Competitive. Win or lose the games are often very close, plus there are definitely more people chatting on their mics. Joining a lobby with 3-4 people talking is perfect and transforms the game into an entirely different animal compared to silent Quick Play.

As others have said though Blizzard really needs to tweak the skill rating gain/loss as well as punish intentional leavers more harshly. I know it's only been days since it's release but even so there are some glaring problems.

Posted this in the old thread by mistake

This is an explanation of why sometimes you move up a lot and sometimes a little.

The amount that you go up or down is not a set amount. Factors such as your skill rating, your opponent's skill rating and your individual performance are all part of the equation.

The current Competitive System is not a progression-based system where you are gaining a set amount of "exp" for a win. We are constantly calibrating your skill as it relates to the other players that you win or lose against. This means sometimes it will go up or down very little and other times it will go up or down a lot.
Kaplan

3 days ago:

We have an improvement to the display of Skill Rating gain that should be patched in sometime soon (next week-ish?)
- Kaplan

Redmoon

Decided to do one placement game solo q'd to see if I could keep the loosing streak going. Ended up wining. Couldnt reach the end of the tracks on attack but got farther than the enemy team did :)

Calling it a night on a win. Maybe tomorrow will yield good results/mates again.

Also somehow doing far better with widow post nerf. Maybe it because I'm not trying to abuse quickscoping anymore.

ramyeon

So we're defending on Route 66, and both teams do pretty awesome, but we're down to the last stretch. The payload is about halfway to the final point... the timer goes out, the match ends, and the defenders lose.

The payload didn't make it to the end, and the defenders lose? Is that a thing in competitive?
Yes, if the attackers scored more points overall and pushed the payload closer to the final point than the defending team did when they were attacking.

X-Frame

Posted this in the old thread by mistake

I'm assuming that the new tweak to the skill rating gain (and loss?) will show how much of the bars is made up of individual performance, team skill average, win/loss, etc.

Seems like a good idea to me if that is it.

I also hope they show how they come to the severely nerfed skill rating gain when an opponent player leaves.

Yes. That can happen.

Example.

Dorado.

My team basically got trapped at spawn. We moved the payload roughly 20 meters by the time the timer ran out.

My team now defending. The attacking team gets the payload 21 meters in about 35 seconds. We lose.

Just one case where attackers don't need to actually "win" and get the payload to the final spot.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Winning is decided by which team got the payload farther. If you're attacking on the second round and the defense side didn't complete the route on their turn then the attacking side just has to make it past the other teams distance to win. This distance is designated as a glowing rectangle on the payload route.

Veelk

Banned
I think the RPS nature of the game means that whilst skill matters, it doesn't matter as much as in other games like CS or even TF2, and instead people need to be able to adapt and change heroes on the fly and stuff and so many people just struggle with that, I don't really understand why. If you can get a team with a strong base (i.e 2 support and 2 tanks and no shitty Hanzo or Genji or Mei) then you are in a good spot to do well.

Kind of a low-skill player here. I'm at level 18, about 10 hours in, and I've got about a 40% win rate with 80 games. I would need to win the next 4 straight to have it at 50%.

For me, one intimidating factor is the simple fact that to git gud, I need to be allowed to fail, a lot. Like, right now, I kick ass with D.Va more than any other hero (got a higher than 50% winrate on her), but I've played her 3 times as much as the next hero over. I looked up videos on her and they were helpful, but the biggest thing I needed to learn was how to use her abilities syncronously. I had to learn that her guns were shit at short range and had to get in enemies faces. A D.Va that isn't flying around the map, either getting in enemies faces or flying to go behind the team isn't doing her job. I have to learn to get a feel for when there is a large assault coming up so I know when to activate defense matrix, not just to protect me, but also my team. And I had to learn that D.Va without her meka is like playing a really nerfed tracer with a better gun, a completely different playstyle. And I had to learn that my Ultimate is more useful as a way of clearing an area so my team could set an area rather than something that'll get a lot of kills (though it's satisfying as hell when you get lucky and manage to nuke an enemy team).

All that took time and a lot of failure where I made a lot of dumb mistakes, like thinking I could just waltz into a crowd of enemies. A lot of wasted Ults that did nothing to help anyone. Sure, you can look up guides and stuff, and those help, but you have to learn how to do the stuff you're supposed to do instinctive, without even thinking about it. If you are actively trying to mentally calculate when to use an ability or remember if you should try to go up against whoever, you're playing too stiffly and unnaturally to succeed most of the time.

And that was mostly okay against small level players, when my level was in the single digits. But now that I'm approaching the 20's, that's around the time people are expected to have some competency in the game. Now, a failure to effectively fulfill your function could legitimately cost the team the game, and it's harder to effectively learn from your mistakes against players who know multiple ways to take out a character.

That's a difficult time for me to choose to use Genji, a character that's super hard for me to use. I have to learn when it's a good idea to strike, when not to, against who, and how. And to do that, I simply have to fuck up a whole bunch of times until I get it right. And I have to do that for pretty much every character, even ones that are relatively easy to use. There's no other way of doing it. But if I don't want to fail, then I'm incentivized to just play with the characters I know, even if they're not pitch perfect counters, because I can more reliably play them well.

I guess you could go up against Ai's as practice, but since you know, human opponents will always be better, so it's arguable that an AI may not properly prepare you for fights against other people.

ISOM

Remove Hanzo and Widowmaker and force the instalockers to choose someone else.

Don't do that. Widowmaker is needed when teams try to run double Pharah bullshit. The funny thing is that I rarely see Widowmaker nowadays but Hanzo still appears.

duckroll

Been thinking about this competitive issue regarding payloads, and I think one problem is that these maps were originally designed to be all or nothing progression at each checkpoint. So there are chokepoints and potentially tough spots where teams are expected to get stuck, but the test is whether they can push through to the checkpoint to extend the time or not.

Maybe with competitive rules taking actual payload distance into account without needing to get to the checkpoints, the maps should be modified in that mode as well. In the same way, the existing maps with the normal objectives are a total joke in certain Weekly Brawls, but I guess no one really minds that since it isn't competitive and is just a fuck around mode. Still, I think it would be nice to be able to loosen up objectives to make the rulesets more logical. Mercy+Pharah with super short cooldowns with the current objectives doesn't make for a logical match. If it were actual TDM it would actually be much better!

Two Words

I don't know why spawn camping isn't a tactic used more often. On offense, it's pretty good to move to the defense's spawn with Reaper and just pick people off as they leave.

Redmoon

uh, does anyone have a better streaming software than this xsplit thing, making my frames drop like crazy
OBS (Open broadcaster software) is another one

But the lag may just be due to your encoding quality being too high for your cpu to handle. Try lowering the preset for encoding. Dunno where this would be at, as I've never used xsplit.

Gator86

I don't even have words anymore. From a gameplay perspective, this game has the worst playerbase I've ever encountered in 20 years of gaming. Truly the most loathesome collection of players I've ever had the misfortune of getting matched with.

ColEx

So i started at rank 52, got to rank 54, had 50/50 good and bad games to get there.

Now i seem to be getting a lot of bad games with hopeless teams, and so when i loose i go down a rank, and then it takes 2 or 3 wins to gain it back. Ranking system seems pretty harsh, i'm now rank 47. A lot of the games i loose are with teams who dont seem to switch it up and adapt to the opposition, so many games with double hanzo's, anoying as fuck! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom