• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 19, 2015

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's around 5.5 million units (all platforms).

[Week 19, 2015] 02 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 15,589 / 5,456,252 (-3%)

Thanks for this.

So easily beating San Andreas' 3.2m.

You wouldn't happen to know what the PS3&360 number is would you?

bombshell

Not really mate. It's been that way here for a while. The Witcher 3 UK split will shock a lot of people.

On another note it's good to see Bloodborne is still putting in work in the EU charts.

The sales split is not 2:1 in the UK, far from it. That is why it's surprising when a game has such a big gap.

To be honest, I don't think it's too surprising when you consider X1 already has Forza 5 with Forza 6 on the way for that semi-sim niche.

That's how I felt. I went back to playing Forza 5 after seeing the DF article.

Do PAL charts include digital? Do any charts so far?

Wouldn't it be somewhat amusing if The Witcher 3 ended up selling the most copies on the PS4, considering it's a series that's never appeared on a Playstation platform before.

ZhugeEX

Banned
LTD number the week before next gen versions were released was around 3.97 million.

Wow, so next gen versions are most likely over 1m easily.

Really surprises me how games like GTA do great yet everything else (apart from Fifa and COD) just does terrible.

Wouldn't it be somewhat amusing if The Witcher 3 ended up selling the most copies on the PS4, considering it's a series that's never appeared on a Playstation platform before.

No it would be expected.

MS game sales are low because everyone is game sharing these days /MS Spin.

Chris1

I don't see that happening to be honest but I suppose it would be amusing. Don't forget The Witcher 2 was free with gold on the 360 not that long ago, that should help boost some sales.

The Witcher could go either way, however, I think the extra sales base will mean the PS4 edges it out. But otherwise it's certainly stacked against it in regards to PS owners have never had the Witcher games and MS marketing for it. However, the PS4 version looks to be the superior version so that will help too. Regardless it'll be close and not like MKX or PC. But MS will be very unhappy if there is a big gap.

gtj1092

DC was even more heavily bundled sinced it actually finished ahead of FH2 in sales last year so I don't think this reason flies.

Or the idea that Xbox owners have so many more racing games to play which is what just F5? Which over 18 mos old and hasn't charted for a long time.

Also we are told that Forza proper and Horizon are very different therefore it's not an annual game so Horizon shouldn't have much affect on Project cars sales.

Also usually the argument goes that bigger titles make an audience for smaller titles like how even though Ps4 had bloodborne DS2 remake still sold better on it than X1.

So while the percent difference is large I don't think the actual unit difference will be that big since it is a slow week.

c0de

With a console which has twice the install base of Xb1? Or is your post meant for UK only?

Conduit

Banned
The Project Cars split isn't really surprising, Xbox owners have Forza 5 & soon Forza 6. Seemed obvious people would skip it, still seems like it has done decently anyways.

Is that reason? I mean, F5 and FH2 are old enough to move on something new.

The sales split is not 2:1 in the UK, far from it. That is why it's surprising when a game has such a big gap.

Anecdotal evidence: I went to GAME to upgrade the W3 to collectors edition here in London the manager told me that across the region Witcher preorders were lopsided in favor of the PS4. I've been going to the same store for years the manager knows me well enough to know what I'm going to ask.

Since they got the Microsoft marketing backing? Well people saw how that did for Dragon Age didn't they?

I don't understand your point, please elaborate.

Bruno MB

Wow, so next gen versions are most likely over 1m easily.

Really surprises me how games like GTA do great yet everything else (apart from Fifa and COD) just does terrible.

Yes, they are comfortably over the million mark.

Grand Theft Auto V sold 1.046 million units in the last 6 weeks of 2014 and practically all copies belonged to PS4 and XBO versions.

Code:
[Week 46, 2014] 32 (27) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - ? / 3,965,666

[Week 47, 2014] 01 (32) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 421,824 / 4,387,490
[Week 48, 2014] 03 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 151,857 / 4,539,347 (-64%)
[Week 49, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 121,486 / 4,660,833 (-20%)
[Week 50, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 94,759 / 4,755,592 (-22%)
[Week 51, 2014] 03 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 109,920 / 4,865,512 (+16%)
[Week 52, 2014] 02 (03) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 146,194 / 5,011,706 (+33%)

Chris1

Is that reason? I mean, F5 and FH2 are old enough to move on something new.

With F6 due out soon aswell? Yea, I don't see a reason for Xboner's to pick up a similar game in a new IP and risk being disappointed when a franchise that they know and love will be releasing a game in that same genre soon.

Maybe if it came out last year around the time of FH2 it wouldn't matter, but I think it does now.

dolemite

The Witcher could go either way, however, I think the extra sales base will mean the PS4 edges it out. But otherwise it's certainly stacked against it in regards to PS owners have never had the Witcher games and MS marketing for it. However, the PS4 version looks to be the superior version so that will help too. Regardless it'll be close and not like MKX or PC. But MS will be very unhappy if there is a big gap.

And they will have noone else but themselves to blame for it.

Shantom

Is pCars the most succesful kickstarter in terms of real world sales?

Project Cars wasn't a kickstarter, they crowdfunded it themselves before KS really took off.

Steamspy numbers:

FTL is around 2.25 million but it's a £7 game that's been £1.75 in the past. It's possibly the biggest success in terms of money asked for ($10,000) compared to money made.

For more expensive games, you've got Divinity: Original Sin, which has sold over 800K despite not going below £18. It'll almost certainly break 2 million eventually.

There's also Chivalry: Medieval Warfare which made just $85,934 on Kickstarter, yet has sold over 2.5 million.

I have to mention Star Citizen here, which made $2.1m on Kickstarter and therefore has made $80m outside of it. It's still making $3m a month, too!

Project Cars wasn't a kickstarter, they crowdfunded it themselves before KS really took off.

Steamspy numbers:

FTL is around 2.25 million but it's a £7 game that's been £1.75 in the past. It's possibly the biggest success in terms of money asked for ($10,000) compared to money made.

For more expensive games, you've got Divinity: Original Sin, which has sold over 800K despite not going below £18. It'll almost certainly break 2 million eventually.

I have to mention Star Citizen here, which made $2.1m on Kickstarter and therefore has made $80m outside of it. It's still making $3m a month, too!

Thanks for the info, I keep forgetting about Star Citizen. But i'm convinced that's just a money laudering operation fronting as a kickstarter =P

Mostly PAL Charts - Week 47, 2014
granted Witcher 3 can be a bigger game than DA:I but it showed that despite a push for the console XBOX lost out by a wide margin compared to the PS4 version.

Was there even a big push for DA? There was no bundle and I personally didn't see any marketing for it. It also got released at a busy time when MS was pushing everything else and coming after a poorly received 2nd game.

Witcher looks to be getting a bigger push and bundle, in a time when nothing else is out. But even if it does lose out to the PS4 version, it will still (or expected to at least) skew well for the Xbox.

Are there adverts showing?

I'm aware MS have the marketing deal but I've seen PS4 footage released by Sony and no XBO footage.

The extent of the MS marketing deal I've seen so far is Conan holding up the XBO Witcher 3 box.

Kysen

By virtue of TW3 being an RPG I think it will sell more on ps4. Unless it's a shooter the splits will be lopsided.

The Project Cars split isn't really surprising, Xbox owners have Forza 5 & soon Forza 6. Seemed obvious people would skip it, still seems like it has done decently anyways.

Same

So you think a game that is well over a year old stops people from buying a new racer?

So you think a game that is well over a year old stops people from buying a new racer?

Not at all, but me personally I'll just wait for F6. I have a Wheel as well, so always looking for a good racer. But the DF article made me pass.

EDIT : Probably will pick it up on PC once the XB1 accessory compatibility patch on pc is released so I can use my wheel.

MS had marketing for Dragon Age Inquisition too, but sales for that were lop-sided as heck.

Maybe the RPG base on the XB1 isn't very strong yet compared to PS4. :/

MS had marketing for Dragon Age Inquisition too, but sales for that were lop-sided as heck.

Well there hasn't been many released to build a base up :p

Still Xbox owners skewed heavily last gen with WRPGs so they'll have a decent base by default there anyways.

Mostly PAL Charts - Week 47, 2014
granted Witcher 3 can be a bigger game than DA:I but it showed that despite a push for the console XBOX lost out by a wide margin compared to the PS4 version.

I'm not sure of your location but I think this trend is going to continue. I know that to a large part of our US gaf brethren, the UK is still a healthy market for XB. But I couldn't disagree more. The sales were front loaded to the point where right now you can pick up an XBO for roughly £220 and at the same time pick up an XB360 for £190 or to be precise £189.99

That's a £30 difference if my math is correct.

Here, on the ground, and again all anecdotal, MS are having trouble selling XBO here. I'm talking noticeable trouble via some insane in store deals. My personal take is that buying what is perceived to be the weaker machine just doesn't sit well with the general British public. Brand loyalty doesn't have the same impact here as it does in the US. And because of that a lot of people simply dismiss the console outright. It doesn't matter what they drop the price to.

EGM1966

PS4 - 63%
XBO - 31%
PC - 6%
Pretty big split. I'd assume multiple factors are driving it from coverage indicating big performance advantage on PS4, to PS4 still having larger install base, to PS4 having less racers, to a lot of new Xbox owners getting FH2 bundle going by charts and so on.

I doubt one single factor would drive that split.

looking at the split i can see now why project cars has stock issues on amazon for ps4

i wonder how well Wolfenstein the old blood will sell in retail

i don't know how shopto top pre order system works but they have

1.TW3 (PS4
2.FFX (PS4
3.TW3 (xbo

GHG

Not at all, but me personally I'll just wait for F6. I have a Wheel as well, so always looking for a good racer. But the DF article made me pass.

EDIT : Probably will pick it up on PC once the XB1 accessory compatibility patch on pc is released so I can use my wheel.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you base your purchasing decisions on what DF puts out.

Klossen

Banned
I was worried that PCars wouldn't sell due to next to zero marketing. Glad to see that word of mouth, reviews and general positive buzz pulled through. Hopefully SMS gets enough to stand on their own now. Talented devs.

PS4 - 63%
XBO - 31%
PC - 6%

I'm sensing a trend here..

Was the MKX sales differential as large?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 cleaned up house with The Witcher 3.

The install base is pretty large now and hungry for big title software.
Doesn't the PS4 customer base have a greater affinity for RPG's too?

I don't understand that argument "Forza 5 and FH 2 are the reason for PC ratio".

I think it's "The Xbox has more racers, so less reason to buy PCars," but PS4 has a lot of shooters, yet Killzone, COD, Destiny, Wolfenstein, and Battlefield all still found an audience. I think we need more info before making anything conclusive, but "The system already has great selling games in that genre" sounds more like a reason it should do well, rather than a reason it would sell less... it is not like one racer a year is over saturation on Xbox or anything.

Tenebrous

I don't understand that argument "Forza 5 and FH 2 are the reason for PC ratio".

(Not including Project Cars)
Number of known sims on PS4: None.
Number of known sims on Xbox One: Forza 5, with Forza 6 landing this year. Known quantity, high quality series.

I'm not saying it's the main factor, but it definitely is a factor.

Kikujiro

I was worried that PCars wouldn't sell due to next to zero marketing. Glad to see that word of mouth, reviews and general positive buzz pulled through. Hopefully SMS gets enough to stand on their own now. Talented devs.

The racing genre is still pretty popular in Europe, Sony needs to release Gran Turismo asap if they want to sell 10m plus again.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Number of known sims on Xbox One: Forza 5, with Forza 6 landing this year. Known quantity, high quality series.

I think that the racing genre is niche regardless and sells average at best. The reason the Xbox-version is behind is simply because it's the shooter console. I think pCars has the fibre to sell on its own merits regardless of Forza.

Guymelef

inFamous didn't stop PS4 version of Watchdogs.

To be honest, I don't think it's too surprising when you consider X1 already has Forza 5 with Forza 6 on the way for that semi-sim niche.

Racing sims aren't Niche.

By virtue of TW3 being an RPG I think it will sell more on ps4. Unless it's a shooter the splits will be lopsided.

Xbox historically is the platform where Wrpgs sell more on, if this was a Jrpg I'd get this post.(Especially in UK)

They didn't push DA:I they pushed COD, AC Halo, and Forza, and Sunset Overdrive. That's why it was lop-sided.

On the other hand, last gen Xbox owners now skew heavily with owning PS4's this gen.

Which is BS we have no data for, and 360 sales seem to indicate it's not by much if anything.

Anyway Forza still having very good legs compared to the alternate bundled racer that was pushed "heavily' that is no longer on the chart is surprising considering the deals I hear about for DC>].

Boost For Halo as well, gives us a hint on hardware over there. Just got to find out a number range for GTA V, but it is a slow month so the number may not even be that high,

Top Bottom