• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 22, 2015

Glass

PC sales are pretty much shifted to digital with Steam / Origin / GoG.com etc.
Regions like Germany still have a respectable PC retail market but WW it's surely a different picture. Services like Steam often have preorder bonuses or good discounts on their digital sales, so there is not really a big draw to buy physical besides Boxart and reselling. Add Key-Sellers into the mix and there is no need to walk to MediaMarkt/Saturn/yourElectronicRetailShop.

That's true, but despite that all, the physical version still made it to number 3 last week. Any PC game getting to number 3 physically is pretty huge. And now its completely gone 1 week later. That's what surprised me. Especially since the digital price on Steam and GoG has rocketed up to £49.99 post release. It's cheaper to walk into Game or order a boxed copy off Amazon.

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 22, 2015 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) PS4 THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
02 (NE) WIU SPLATOON (NINTENDO)
03 (02) PC THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (03) XBO THE WITCHER 3 - WILDE JAGD (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
05 (06) PS4 PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
06 (__) PS4 DRIVECLUB (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
07 (07) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
08 (10) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (08) PC GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
10 (05) PS3 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
11 (28) PS4 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 4 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
12 (46) PS4 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
13 (04) PS4 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
14 (14) PS3 MINECRAFT - PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
15 (11) PS4 WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
16 (15) PS3 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
17 (16) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
18 (18) 3DS PUZZLE & DRAGONS Z + PUZZLE & DRAGONS: SUPER MARIO BROS. EDITION (NINTENDO)
19 (61) PS4 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
20 (20) 3DS POKÉMON: OMEGA RUBIN (NINTENDO)
21 (12) PS4 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER - LIMITED EDITION (KOCH MEDIA)
22 (22) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
23 (23) 3DS POKÉMON: ALPHA SAPHIR (NINTENDO)
24 (25) PS4 BATTLEFIELD: HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
25 (27) PC DIE SIMS 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
26 (21) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)
27 (36) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
28 (09) 360 LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 15 (ASTRAGON)
29 (24) WIU KIRBY UND DER REGENBOGEN-PINSEL (NINTENDO)
30 (58) PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)
31 (32) WIU MARIO PARTY 10 (NINTENDO)
32 (31) 3DS SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS (NINTENDO)
33 (17) PC WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
34 (35) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
35 (29) PC DIE SIMS 4: AN DIE ARBEIT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
36 (80) PS4 THE CREW (UBISOFT)
37 (30) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA’S MASK 3D (NINTENDO)
38 (26) PS4 BLOODBORNE (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
39 (37) PS3 WATCH DOGS - BONUS EDITION (UBISOFT)
40 (__) PS3 FAR CRY 4 - LIMITED EDITION (UBISOFT)
41 (38) PC CITIES: SKYLINES (KOCH MEDIA)
42 (34) PC EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2: SCANDINAVIA (RONDOMEDIA)
43 (44) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
44 (33) PC PROJECT CARS (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)
45 (42) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
46 (47) WIU SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII U (NINTENDO)
47 (__) PS3 DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
48 (__) PS4 INFAMOUS: FIRST LIGHT (AK TRONIC)
49 (41) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
50 (62) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Top 50

PS4 - 17
PC - 9
PS3 - 8
3DS - 8
WIU - 4
360 - 3
XBO - 1

Pretty good ranking . Too bad it launched just after the Witcher. Might have had two no.1 spots if it launched before it.
Ah well. Lets hope the numbers are decent overall in mainland Europe and that Splatoon has legs. Can't expect too much more.

Edit: Forgot. Splatoon only had 3 days of sales on Friday Saturday and Sunday in the UK and German charts.
Lets hope it does decent next week too.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Italy Week 21:

1 The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt PS4 Namco

2 The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt Xbox One Namco

3 Fifa 15 PS3 Electronic Arts

4 Fifa 15 PS4 Electronic Arts

5 The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt Bundle PS4 Namco

6 GTA V Grand Theft Auto PS4 Rockstar Games

7 Minecraft PS3 Sony

8 Minecraft PS4 Sony

9 Tomb Raider Definitive Edition PS4 Square Enix

10 Project Cars PS4 Namco

edit:
goddamn you Twisted! :p

Did we ever get any updated numbers for Final Fantasy Type-0 HD?

Hmm I don't think so. I always keep an eye in the PAL sales threads but don't remember seeing something about this. Even NPD I think we only have the > 200K figure for the first month.

69wpm

Amazon sales chart for that week (similar to official GFK charts if you remove hardware and preorders):

http://de.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-06-02-amazon-wochencharts-witcher-3-ist-nicht-zu-schlagen

Währenddessen übersteigen die Stückumsätze für Splatoon bereits im Vorverkauf sämtliche anderen lieferbaren Artikel.

Translates to: Meanwhile the revenue per piece for Splatoon was bigger in pre-sale than any other available articles.

Which could mean Amazon didn't have enough stock for the high demand. The LE was sold out weeks before launch.

ZhugeEX

Banned
[*]Gamestop says the PS4 vs XBone price war in the UK is unlike anywhere else in the world
[/LIST]

Yup, indeed it is.

No other country has seen a price war like this between PS4 and Xbox One. The UK market is very unique in that it pretty much sides with the first console to release and the cheapest one at that.

Rymuth

Wow that did not take long at all.
I suspect when Arkham Knight pulls similar numbers, Ryse will be the excuse.
Yup, indeed it is.

No other country has seen a price war like this between PS4 and Xbox One. The UK market is very unique in that it pretty much sides with the first console to release and the cheapest one at that.
Kind of funny, imagining the two playing tug of war with UK in the middle.

BKK

Manufacturer led ...

International president and EVP Mike Mauler says this activity has been driven by the platform holders, and that he’s not seen such aggression in other markets.

“The UK market is incredibly competitive from a price perspective,” he told MCV. “I remember how it was during the Christmas holidays – adding games into bundles and discounting the bundles. We have not seen that type of aggressive discounting in other markets.

“Most of the promotions are from the manufacturers – we work very closely with them. Depending what their goals are, we provide them with support. It’s not as haphazard as it might appear – it’s part of a broader strategy that each platform holder has to gain market share.”

Yup, indeed it is.

That didn't work for Dreamcast, and NES released before SMS, but got outsold by it. There's also the CD32 which beat Saturn and PlayStation to release by quite some time. I don't think five generations is really enough to draw many conclusions from a statistical point of view.

With UK being around 20k it seems like sub 100k opening for Splatoon in Europe. Not really anywhere as strong opening as in Japan considering the huge difference in market size. Well as a Nintendo game it probably has decent legs.

Germany is still a bit market for Nintendo too so then add all the other smaller European countries and I'd guesstimate splatoon did over 100k for all of Europe

Amazing sales for GTA V

When you think how much its sold already and been out for since 2013, all the people who can lend/borrow a copy off a friend. All the copies traded in and on ebay etc. usually 4 people per household, you'd think everyone had played it by now yet still so many going out and buying it new

Also as we know it outsold GTA IV lifetime sales in a few weeks.

While I'm a GTA fan and bought all the games I don't think I could even double or triple dip. I'm kind of surprised by the fervor that still remains and new copies being sold, many must be hanging on to them?

Rodin

With UK being around 20k it seems like sub 100k opening for Splatoon in Europe. Not really anywhere as strong opening as in Japan considering the huge difference in market size. Well as a Nintendo game it probably has decent legs.
Still Germany and other countries missing, i don't know if it reached 100k in the first week but i think numbers will be in that ballpark.

Crow train might be slowing down.
Well tbh many people talked about W101 numbers. Not saying they should eat crow but the doom and gloom was obviously exaggerated.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Isn't that pretty near to The Order / Zelda / MH4's first week numbers, IIRC?

Crow train might be slowing down.

That would be on par with The Order 1886's first week numbers. First big Sony AAA next-gen game. On PS4.
You guys need some perspective.

Germany is still a bit market for Nintendo too so then add all the other smaller European countries and I'd guesstimate splatoon did over 100k for all of Europe
Still Germany and other countries missing, i don't know if it reached 100k in the first week but i think numbers will be in that ballpark.

If I am not mistaken France is still bigger market for WiiU in Europe than Germany. Maybe if you add rest of big five and all smaller countries (outside of Wii and DS Nintendo has been tradidionally pretty weak in smaller european countries though) maybe it goes little over 100k. Still when you consider the size of European market 100k is not really that much for heavily marketed title. Of course Splatoon could have good legs but we don't know that just yet.

That would be on par with The Order 1886's first week numbers. First big Sony AAA next-gen game. On PS4.
You guys need some perspective.

I don't know why Order flopping makes Splatoon numbers somehow good? Also did we get numbers for Order outside of UK? Didn't it do something like 35k first week in UK?

If I am not mistaken France is still bigger market for WiiU in Europe than Germany. Maybe if you add rest of big five and all smaller countries (outside of Wii and DS Nintendo has been tradidionally pretty weak in smaller european countries though) maybe it goes little over 100k. Still when you consider the size of European market 100k is not really that much for heavily marketed title. Of course Splatoon could have good legs but we don't know that just yet.

I don't know why Order flopping makes Splatoon numbers somehow good? Also did we get numbers for Order outside of UK? Didn't it do something like 35k first week in UK?

Considering how badly the Wii U has sold all over Europe I don't think 100k is a bad debut at all and I suspect it's legs will at least be fairly decent

Serenity

Considering how badly the Wii U has sold all over Europe I don't think 100k is a bad debut at all and I suspect it's legs will at least be fairly decent

Couldn't you add all of those qualifiers to any game to make its sales sound better.

I think the sales are doing just about what nintendo expected. If they do a bundle and new push at Christmas I think they can get to 2 million shipped.

Couldn't you add all of those qualifiers to any game to make its sales sound better.

I think the sales are doing just about what nintendo expected. If they do a bundle and new push at Christmas I think they can get to 2 million shipped.

Yeah you probably could

There's a bundle out in about 2 weeks, 2 million by the end of the year is looking a pretty possible

Serenity

Wait, you guys think they'll ship 2 million units of Splatoon?

With bundles. It will be tough but I don't see nintendo releasing a game they feel will be bigger this year so I think they will continue to push it all year through Christmas.

2m even with bundles seems unlikely.

1m at a push I think, there's simply not that much demand for the U, regardless of how much they might advertise the game. Splatoon only 'did well' because of a lack of other releases, had they released it say post Summer, it would have been slaughtered.

It's success in the charts is primarily thanks to the slow release period where not much is really selling when you go below the top three.

oh... um ok then.

Tbh I dunno, I guess it could do that but to me I don't see that happening right now.

We'll have a clearer idea after the npd, but the great start in Japan and it seems amazing digital performance in Japan and America makes me think it'll hit its first million in just a few more weeks

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We'll have a clearer idea after the npd, but the great start in Japan and it seems amazing digital performance in Japan and America makes me think it'll hit its first million in just a few more weeks

I've seen you posting how it was first on US eShop despite all the Humbl Bundle games, but still, is it already in the All-Time Wii U only (no VC) charts?

Majmun

Going by the Japanese sales of Splatoon, where it did really great, the game doesn't seem to push a lot of new Wii U consoles. Wii U jump in HW was quite minimal there.

I think it's the same everywhere else.

The Wii U release list is tragic. A new quality Nintendo release has to do well with the existing user base.

Top Bottom