• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 22, 2015

DrWong

Nobody should say definitives things about Splatoon long-term success. If the platform is a known quantity, the game itself isn't. Signs are pointing to a good second week in Japan and for what it's worth it didn't collapse at all on all the big Amazon stores (top 3 everywhere in the monthly chart) in its second week. As I see it 1 million is a lock for this year. Game is really appealing addictive and feel fresh & innovative, and Nintendo is pushing it hard on all fronts.

Going by the Japanese sales of Splatoon, where it did really great, the game doesn't seem to push a lot of new Wii U consoles. Wii U jump in HW was quite minimal there.

I think it's the same everywhere else.

The Wii U release list is tragic. A new quality Nintendo release has to do well with the existing user base.

With the state of the Japanese market at the moment a jump from 7k to 17k isn't bad at all and some retailers even sold out of wii u hardware

Dee Dee

It's success in the charts is primarily thanks to the slow release period where not much is really selling when you go below the top three.

That did nothing for Kirby though. It is a really good game, and people are recommending it (other than Kirby).

Still: 2 Million shipped worldwide (including downloads somehow??) by the end of the year ... don't bet on it.
1 Million will be doable though.

That did nothing for Kirby though. It is a really good game, and people are recommending it (other than Kirby).

Still: 2 Million shipped worldwide (including downloads somehow??) by the end of the year ... don't bet on it.

Nintendo's shipment figures always include downloads

so you don't really know, but you're saying it anyway

ok then, how predictable

Somebody on miiverse I follow posted the American recent best sellers chart, splatoon was at number one ahead of all the humble bundle games, they didn't post the all time chart

Edit - also we know in Japan splatoon is at number 2 in the all time digital chart behind only DQ10, smash is at number 8 and is over (well over?) 43k

So. Splatoon will not or just barely break 100K in Europe in it's first 3 days.

It's kinda disappointing compared to Japan but still seems okayish to me. I guess it kinda shows how low my expectations for Nintendo game sales in Europe have become.
Remembering that It's the 5th fastest selling Wii U game in the UK. Makes you wonder how things like Pikmin 3 have sold in Europe....

Anyway. Hope Nintendo keeps the marketing going and that it will give Splatoon good sales legs.

Yeah. 2 million is way too much. I hope for 1 million in the end of the year but it will be dificult. Still. It's way too early to tell.

One question though:
Do the European charts include digital sales and bundles?
Just want to be clear on that.

It's kinda disappointing compared to Japan but still seems okayish to me. I guess it kinda shows how low my expectations for Nintendo game sales in Europe have become.
Remembering that It's the 5th fastest selling Wii U game in the UK. Makes you wonder how things like Pikmin 3 have sold in Europe....

Anyway. Hope Nintendo keeps the marketing going and that it will give Splatoon good sales legs.

Yeah. 2 million is way too much. I hope for 1 million in the end of the year but it will be dificult. Still. It's way too early to tell.

One question though:

bundles are included, direct digital sales are not included but i think download cards are (not sure on that last one)

One question though:

UK sales include bundles, others do not

none of them include digital

Vena

It's kinda disappointing compared to Japan but still seems okayish to me.

Splatoon is going to be very lopsided in sales per region at least initially because, while it may be cheaper in EU or more WiiUs may exist in NA, there's not the strong community push/formation behind the title like in Japan. The game has, in a way, taken on a life of its own in the community there through art and the community. (And its rather obvious that something went horribly, horribly right when the game not only sells it entire shipment but maintains a decent momentum into week 3 and has been riding the software download charts in a region and on a platform that hardly downloads.)

That hasn't really happened elsewhere and the reception has been tepid and, to a large degree, cautious because its definitely not something people know what to expect from Nintendo. The question then becomes will the title be spurred along by WoM in these slow-uptake regions, or not. So the next few weeks will probably be the more informative times, and I expect it to perform relatively poorly in the NPD compared to Japan and per capita.

Its not unheard of for a title to perform better in Japan than the world-over combined, especially with a game that has formed a community of its own (which isn't something every game or many games accomplish). It seems that Splatoon has just hit on the right chord for the audience there.

69wpm

1. The Witcher 3 (PS4)
  2. Splatoon (Wii U)
  3. The Witcher 3 (XBO)
  4. Splatoon + amiibo (Wii U)
  5. Project CARS (PS4)

Source

So in France the two Splatoon SKUs were counted separately.

stryke

acBHNKN.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bandai Namco’s ‘The Witcher III: Wild Hunt’ (-44%) remains No1 for a third consecutive week.

Rockstar/Take 2’s ‘GTA V’ juggernaut climbs back to No2 after 3 weeks at No3 (-16%) meaning that ‘GTA V’ still has not been outside of the Top 5 All Formats this year. EA’s ‘FIFA 15’ also climbs 1 place to No3 (-23%) and Nintendo’s big new release from last week ‘Splatoon’ drops 2 places to No4 (-50%). The only new release within the Top 40 this week is Japanese sci-fi/time-travel adventure ‘Steins;Gate’ for PS3 & Vita – the title debuts at No18, is published by PQube and developed in Japan by 5pb and Nitroplus.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
50% drop is very decent. Also holding on to that 3rd place in individual format charts. Good second week for Splatoon. (and it matches the estimated good legs for week 2 and 3 in Japan)

Shantom

Nice to see Steins;Gate in the top 20. I assume that could be a couple of thousand copies?

The Vita version is the first game this year to break Minecraft and FIFA's stranglehold on the Vita top 2, so it's almost certainly the biggest physical Vita launch of the year, which TBH doesn't say much.

Shantom

Can someone post the chart for those who can't clck the link.

Thanks.

LW TW
1 1 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT PS4
2 2 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT XB ONE
3 3 SPLATOON WII U
4 4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS4
7 5 PROJECT CARS PS4
5 6 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB ONE
6 7 FIFA 15 XB360
8 8 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION XB360
9 9 BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE PS4
13 10 MORTAL KOMBAT X PS4
10 11 WOLFENSTEIN: THE OLD BLOOD PS4
28 12 HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION XB ONE
17 13 DYING LIGHT PS4
12 14 BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE XB ONE
15 15 FIFA 15 PS4
25 16 DESTINY XB ONE
18 17 FIFA 15 PS3
- 18 THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED PS4
22 19 DYING LIGHT XB ONE
23 20 FIFA 15 XB ONE
16 21 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 PS4
29 22 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE XB ONE
24 23 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION PS3
21 24 THE SIMS 4 PC
30 25 DESTINY PS4
20 26 MORTAL KOMBAT X XB ONE
38 27 FORZA HORIZON 2 XB ONE
- 28 STEINS;GATE VITA
26 29 TERRARIA XB360
40 30 MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE 3DS
19 31 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 XB ONE
39 32 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3
11 33 BLOODBORNE PS4
33 34 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION PS4
14 35 FARMING SIMULATOR 15 XB360
37 36 MARIO KART 8 WII U
27 37 PROJECT CARS XB ONE
34 38 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION XB ONE
36 39 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360
35 40 BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE XB360

bundles are included, direct digital sales are not included but i think download cards are (not sure on that last one)

UK sales include bundles, others do not

none of them include digital

Okay. Thank you both. No digital sales and only UK counts bundles.
That will be somewhat bothersome considering Splatoon will get a Console bundle and had that digital discount.

Not bad for Splatoon, could have been so much worse than 50%.
Splatoon second week. Nice to see it hanging on. Hope it can find decent legs.

1. The Witcher 3 (PS4)
  2. Splatoon (Wii U)
  3. The Witcher 3 (XBO)
  4. Splatoon + amiibo (Wii U)
  5. Project CARS (PS4)

Source

So in France the two Splatoon SKUs were counted separately.

So. The Splatoon + Amiibo bundle is part of the UK number but will be counted seperately in the other sales charts? How strange.

I wonder now if the 24k refers to both SKUs or just the game.

Something I wonder about now too.

Top Bottom