• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 52 - Wii for art thoU?

Hanmik

something must be wrong with the danish charts..

Denmark

01./01. [PS3] FIFA 13
02./02. [WII] Just Dance 4
03./05. [PS3] Call of Duty Black Ops 2
04./04. [WII] Just Dance 4
05./06. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 3
06./08. [PS3] Far Cry 3
07./03. [WII] Skylanders Giants Starter Pack
08./09. [PS3] Need for Speed Most Wanted
09./11. [PS3] Lego Lord of the Rings
10./14. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2
11./07. [PS3] Skylanders Giants Starter Pack
12./12. [PC] Football Manager 2013
13./13. [360] Far Cry 3
14./RE. [PS3] Hitman Absolution
15./15. [PC] Assassin's Creed 3
16./10. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 3
17./19. [PC] Call of Duty Black Ops 2
18./RE. [PC] World of Warcraft Game Card
19./20. [PC] World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria
20./17. [PS3] FIFA 13 Bonus Edition

Both Just Dance 4[Wii] and Assassin´s Creed 3[PS3) are twice on the board..

something must be wrong with the danish charts..

Both Just Dance 4[Wii] and Assassin´s Creed 3[PS3) are twice on the board..

Not necessarily, there are two different versions for Assassin's creed as well - Standard one and the Join or die edition - besides aforementioned Just Dance 4.

farnham

Banned
Huh? Nintendo has plenty of cash. And I don't care how poorly a handheld is doing, it should NEVER take priority over a brand new console.
You think Sony is going to shift gears and focus on saving the sinking Vita ship instead of the PS4 launch?

Is this your personal preference or do you think wiiU is more important for nintendo than 3ds?

To put things into some perspective NDS was esteemated in early 2011 to have sold 144 m worldwide - compared to records-breaking Wii that was esteemated to have sold "just" 84 m.

source
http://gamerinvestments.com/video-g...worldwide-ltd-sales-144m-and-84m-respectively
Latest numbers as of September 2012:

NDS Hard.: 152.500.000
NDS Soft.: 917.610.000
NDS Tie-R.: 6,02

WII Hard.: 97.180.000
WII Soft.: 842.200.000
WII Tie-R.: 8,67

3DS Hard.: 22.190.000
3DS Soft.: 64.450.000
3DS Tie-R.: 2,91

Wow at Wii software sales, colour me surprised!!!
Btw 3DS should be easily over 25 m by now.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's a fairly sure thing they'd have made significant profits IMO...
208.5 million pieces of software sold, they'll have made money on every one through royalties, and of course they keep all profit relating to their own games. They'd started a couple of forays into peripherals too -- probably sold more controllers than any other manufacturer (lots of 4 player games, wavebird), GBA/GC cables, the GBA player etc. It does depend on their investments of course, but as I say - the hardware itself reportedly became profitable with only one game purchase and it had a tie ratio of around 10.

Super Smash Bros Melee - 7+ million (March 2008)
Mario Kart Double Dash!! - ~7 million
Super Mario Sunshine - 5.5 million (Jun 2006)
LoZ: Wind Waker - 4.6 million (as at 2010)
Metroid Prime - 2m+, MP2: Echoes - 800k (subsequently re-released on Wii in Trilogy)

Those were respectable figures for the time, but Mario's sales have been blown out of the water by more recent releases. A few standout successes with third parties too - REmake and RE4 ended up performing reasonably well, Beyond Good & Evil, Burnout 2 and Timesplitters 2 outsold Xbox counterparts IIRC

GBA was the real cash cow of the day, but I'm betting GC didn't do too badly for them, financially speaking
The Gamecube too? I know they said it with the WiiU (profitable with 1 game sold), but i didnt know it was the same with Gamecube. But i dont doubt that the Gamecube could have been profitable, you show many examples that support this. I just wish there were some more concrete info on exactly how much potential profits we're talking about :) The same thing goes for the Vita, they make money on each memorycard and game sold, plus the accessories they're selling, but i wish there were info on how much they need to sell to become profitable overall. I know about Kaz Hirai's statement about "aim to be profitable in 3 years", but that is unfortunately very vague.

batbeg

I'm here to object to the thread title for incorrect use of the wherefore pun. It doesn't mean what the thread implies.

liger05

Funny how people think the wii tie-r is like 2 or 3

Aye, it's a cracker. That and Ghost Recon are the only reasons I haven't given my 3DS away.

Then I'll give you another good reason not to sell your 3DS: Monster hunter 3 ultimate releasing next March-April, unless you feel like buying it instead for Wii U to play it online on a bigger screen.

I don't know if you've played other installments of the series before, either way if you have missed it out, Tri on Wii gets very addicting and time-draining once you get to fight the first monsters, besides I appreciate this version is bigger, so I warmly recommend it to you, although I see it's not everyone's cup of tea of course.

This was before COD became such a big seller though. I wonder how Activision is thinking about next generation. If they move COD exclusively over to PS4/Xbox 720/PC (and maybe WiiU too) at a very early stage, this could mean that they will lose millions of potential sales.

But i agree with what you say about that 3rd parties are interested about moving new consoles as well. Activision doesnt only make COD games afterall, so i'm sure they are interested that as many people as possible are buying the new systems. I wonder how Activision will do it regarding this and COD.

They don't only make COD but it is probably the biggest franchise in gaming. I really find it hard to see them taking any risks to a franchise that currently brings in over a billion dollars in revenue every year just to force their fan base to migrate to the next gen of consoles.

Maybe they will but it would be a big risk to take and would almost surely cost them a lot of money in the short term.

MK7, M3DLand and .91 of NSMB 2 then.

Well that means they are soon to be 3 of the best selling games of all time then ;).

Well that means they are soon to be 3 of the best selling games of all time then ;).

Speaking of which, Mario kart 7 has reached 2m in November in NA and 1.8 m in Japan so it should be at around 6m wordwide by now if not even more, considering it's being currently bundled(at least in Europe).

As for the other two, I gather they have been selling hugely as well.

Speaking of which, Mario kart 7 has reached 2m in November in NA and 1.8 m in Japan so it should be at around 6m wordwide by now, considering it's being currently bundled(at least in Europe).

As for the other two, I gather they have been selling hugely as well.
Super Mario 3D Land: 5.840.000 (Mar' 12)
Mario Kart 7: 5.240.000 (Mar' 12)
New Super Mario Bros. 2: 3.250.000 (Sep' 12)

3D Land should be well over 6.000.000 by now, Mario Kart 7 should be around 6.000.000 units.

Mario Bros. 2 could be around 5.000.000 by now.

Sent an email to my Zavvi contact. Want to know why added Epic Mickey to the new bundle, I figure they ran out of agreed trade credit and the new bundle is selling for a loss.

SmokyDave

Then I'll give you another good reason not to sell your 3DS: Monster hunter 3 ultimate releasing next March-April, unless you feel like buying it instead for Wii U to play it online on a bigger screen.

I don't know if you've played other installments of the series before, either way if you have missed it out, Tri on Wii gets very addicting and time-draining once you get to fight the first monsters, besides I appreciate this version is bigger, so I warmly recommend it to you, although I see it's not everyone's cup of tea of course.

I've tried MH on PSP and Wii. I'll just say it's most certainly not my cup of tea!

So is anyone going to post the Germany charts?
I think they're subscriber only so that's probably dodgy ground.

Hanmik

Norway

01./01. [PS3] FIFA 13
02./02. [PS3] Call of Duty Black Ops 2
03./05. [PS3] Far Cry 3
04./04. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2
05./10. [PS3] PlayStation Network Voucher 200
06./10. [PS3] Need for Speed Most Wanted
07./06. [PS3] Lego Lord of the Rings
08./19. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 3
09./11. [360] Far Cry 3
10./16. [360] Halo 4
11./17. [PC] Football Manager 2013
12./13. [WII] Just Dance 4
13./08. [PS3] Skylanders Giants Starter Pack
14./09. [WII] Skylanders Giants Starter Pack
15./07. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 3
16./14. [360] FIFA 13
17./18. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U
18./20. [PS3] Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
19./RE. [PS3] Live Card 400
20./15. [WII] Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

what is a "Live card 400" for the PS3..? do they sell 400kr. PSN cards in norway..?

what is a "Live card 400" for the PS3..? do they sell 400kr. PSN cards in norway..?
Seems so.

image1_0c47906fe62c50b0c35cdef8b0b57baa.jpg

Edit: Ok, this is Sweden, but Norway should've similar ones.

test_account

XP-39C²
They don't only make COD but it is probably the biggest franchise in gaming. I really find it hard to see them taking any risks to a franchise that currently brings in over a billion dollars in revenue every year just to force their fan base to migrate to the next gen of consoles.

Maybe they will but it would be a big risk to take and would almost surely cost them a lot of money in the short term.
I expect to see a PS3/Xbox 360 version the first year after PS4/Xbox 720 have launched. Maybe the year after that too. I think it depends on how they will take the serie forward (regarding what game engine they will use etc.). They would have to devote an extra team to port it if they're going to use a very different game engine.

Seems so.

http://www.panvision.com/1/50.0.1.5/53754/5/image1_0c47906fe62c50b0c35cdef8b0b57baa.jpg

Edit: Ok, this is Sweden, but Norway should've similar ones.
Yep, 200kr and 400kr is available. They also sell PS+ cards, both 90 days and 1 year subscriptions.

DrWong

France Week 51:

TOP 5

1 - COD : Blacks ops 2 - PS3 - Activision Blizzard
2 - Assassin's Creed 3 - Bonus Edition PS3 - Ubisoft
3 - FIFA 13 - PS3 - Electronic Arts
4 - COD : Blacks ops 2 - XBox 360 - Activision Blizzard
5 - Far Cry 3 - PS3 - Ubisoft

Convinsing stores to stock Vitas shouldnt be a problem as long as there is some demand at all, just look at Xbox 360 in Japan :) It still sells on a weekly basis even if the sales are very low. It might not be available in every store, but it is still being sold.

360 sells well in two out of three major territories, and gets major Western and Japanese third-party support from all publishers on the basis of its strong Western sales. Vita sells abysmally in all three, and gets abysmal third-party support from both Western and Japanese publishers. In the former situation, it's not hard to justify continuing to supply a trickle of units to the one territory where the platform is basically irrelevant. If sales are terrible in all three territories with no real hope for recovery, then it's going to be increasingly difficult for Sony to justify continuing to support or manufacture the platform.

If 360 had sales and third-party support worldwide as bad as Vita's, they'd have exited the hardware business years ago. Ditto for Sony.

It depends on how one define what support means. Earlier i understood your post that "no longer supporting it" would mean that hardware production would end because you also mentioned 3rd party support (as in no new games would be made, so it is no need to contunie making the hardware). Sony didnt exactly support the PSP with a lot of 1st party software during the last years, yet the system was/is being available for sale.

Dreamcast continued to get Japanese niche titles for years after the hardware ended production. I can easily see the same happening for Vita.

Baki

The problem with the WiiU is fundamental to its design. The machine follows the same design philosophy as the Wii but lacks the price and appeal for the audience. In this industry you either target the core consumer with flashy graphics, flashy games - where you can charge a higher entry point for this machine.

Or you target the younger/family audience - which in this climate requires a lower entry point because the machine is essentially treated as a 'toy' and hence the expectations for the price come to anything below £200.

test_account

XP-39C²
360 sells well in two out of three major territories, and gets major Western and Japanese third-party support from all publishers on the basis of its strong Western sales. Vita sells abysmally in all three, and gets abysmal third-party support from both Western and Japanese publishers. In the former situation, it's not hard to justify continuing to supply a trickle of units to the one territory where the platform is basically irrelevant. If sales are terrible in all three territories with no real hope for recovery, then it's going to be increasingly difficult for Sony to justify continuing to support or manufacture the platform.

If 360 had sales and third-party support worldwide as bad as Vita's, they'd have exited the hardware business years ago. Ditto for Sony.
True, but it still cost money for Microsoft to operate in Japan. One could say that it would be pointless to continue there based on the hardware sales and apply the same reasons you gave earlier (opportunity costs etc., using the money elsewhere). But my main point regarding this was that there wouldnt be hard to get stores to sell something that doesnt sell a lot, using Xbox 360 in Japan as an example, where the Vita sales actually looks good in comparison, but yet the Xbox 360 is being sold there.

I still dont see any reason to discontinue the Vita hardware within spring 2014 because the production line is already set up, and they could just cut back on a lot of expences and sell it with a slight profit. Cutting it off would mean no income at all from it. Even if they manage to sell a million units a year, i think it can be worth it compared to just drop it completely.

I wouldnt say abysmal 3rd party support in Japan. The Vita actually has many 3rd party games coming, even if they arent huge sellers. Its not super great support, but not something i would call abysmal. The WiiU might fit the abysmal description better at this point (2-3 known 3rd party japanese games coming and they're ports of older games).

Dreamcast continued to get Japanese niche titles for years after the hardware ended production. I can easily see the same happening for Vita.
Me too, but i dont think the hardware production will end in about a year from now.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry if this has been covered. MCV UK has some interesting tidbits. Says 30mm PAL PS3s, sourced to Sony.

UK sales: BLOPS2 was about 100K more in December than MW3 in Dec 2011.

UK software totals for the year: £1.04551 billion, 39.588mm units.

Sorry if this has been covered. MCV UK has some interesting tidbits. Says 30mm PAL PS3s, sourced to Sony. BLOPS2 was about 100K more in December than MW3 in Dec 2012.

Totals for the year: £1.04551 billion, 39.588mm units.

100k in just the UK, or across all of PAL?

I still dont see any reason to discontinue the Vita hardware within spring 2014 because the production line is already set up, and they could just cut back on a lot of expences and sell it with a slight profit. Cutting it off would mean no income at all from it. Even if they manage to sell a million units a year, i think it can be worth it compared to just drop it completely.

Again, even assuming that Sony can turn a profit on Vita hardware - which I think is a highly, highly dubious proposition given the economy of scale such a thing would require - how does it make sense to keep pumping money into the Vita business if they stand to gain more from PS4 and/or PSM, which they almost certainly would unless Vita sales somehow improve dramatically?

I wouldnt say abysmal 3rd party support in Japan. The Vita actually has many 3rd party games coming, even if they arent huge sellers. Its not super great support, but not something i would call abysmal. The WiiU might fit the abysmal description better at this point (2-3 known 3rd party japanese games coming and they're ports of older games).

Wii U, at minimum, has an enhanced version of DQX coming this year. Vita has absolutely no third-party software announced that will have a measurable impact on hardware sales, and considering that Sony is the platform holder that's far more dependent on third-party support, "abysmal" hardly seems unfair.

Sorry if this has been covered. MCV UK has some interesting tidbits. Says 30mm PAL PS3s, sourced to Sony.

UK sales: BLOPS2 was about 100K more in December than MW3 in Dec 2011.

UK software totals for the year: £1.04551 billion, 39.588mm units.

30 million thing came out a coupe of weeks ago. Thread

Top Bottom