• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey and his OR on the cover of TIME: Kill me now

hesido

What an unflattering picture. Did he have 0 say in this?

I understand they wanted to convey some motion but it looks hella stupid, with those cheeks juggled upwards, the whole stance..

def sim

I wish they would have done a better job with the cover. It absolutely looks like a parody at his and the industry's expense.

Piggus

B-b-but VR will just be a niche product! I hate it! I'll game on a TV forever because video games are sacred and should never change!

Draft

Time magazine strongly associates computer programmers and bare feet.

ff_andreessen2_f.jpg

SerTapTap

This made me wonder what it'd be like if news outlets covered other media like they cover VR.

Film: "These men just sat still in moderately uncomfortable chairs for TWO HOURS. And they *paid* for it!"
Music: "Woman puts strange device on her head and convulses to what is only known by music fans as the 'Beat'"
Art: "Can you believe people paid $100,000...for THIS (picture of blank canvas and unused paint)"
Architecture: "You wouldn't believe how much they pay this guy to draw lines on a large piece of paper for days!"

Time magazine strongly associates computer programmers and bare feet.

ff_andreessen2_f.jpg

I get the impression that these guys came in wearing sandals and the TIME photographer was just like "Okay, you look too ratty in those; just go barefoot, it worked for Steve Jobs"

Roshin

Just tried Google cardboard for a couple of hours and a few different apps and videos. I am onboard the VR train! I know cardboard is barebones and the real experiences are much much better, but if cardboard is so good, I cant even imagine how good actual VR would be. My hype and excitement is through the roof!

Really? My cardboard experience was awful. I didn't expect much, but I was still disappointed. I really want proper VR, though. :)

FStop7

Banned
Cover is awesome. Y'all have no sense of irony. Or humour.

No, it's cringeworthy. Particularly combined with the article excerpt posted earlier in this thread. VR has a massive perception issue to deal with and if it's not properly handled it will never go mainstream.

e_i

I stopped reading Time a long time ago because of their cover choices. A millions horrible things going on the world, but they think Americans are dumbfucks so they do these idiotic cover stories.

I'm talking about this stupid shit:

aEwAV59.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This cover is proof that regardless of how much money you have you're going to make some pretty bad decisions when you're 22 years old.

tcrunch

Mainstream media article: check out this "kid"

Posts picture of grown man dressed like a 5-year-old from the 80s.

L Thammy

I can't help but imagining a crowd of confused people in bikinis and swim trunks crowding around outside the frame. Watching a guy prancing around on the beach with an Oculus Rift strapped to his face.

SigSig

Man, I already knew that the anti-VR-crowd is a bunch of lunatics, but actually going as far as sabotaging a TIME cover?

Top Bottom