• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey backs Trump with shell companies using Chrono Trigger names

I wonder if this had anything to do with his removal at Oculus. I can't imagine Facebook wanted him to keep his Trump ties after the news broke last year, but yet here he was, funding Trump's inauguration party.

Do you really think Facebook cares about who Palmer supports? Facebook actually helped with electing Trump with how easily it is to spread fake news on Facebook. It only matters to them when they get backlash from people. There was a significant backlash before the election when it was discovered that Palmer has been supporting an Alt-right group and Trump. It put pressure on Facebook to let go of him, but if he was not caught he would be celebrating the tax cuts with Mark Zuckerberg in the near future. There was also a backlash when it was found that fake news were one of the major factor to electing Trump, so they changed how they handle fake news then, and not when it mattered. I have no doubt that they knew what was going on with how much fake news were being shared on Facebook, but they choose to do nothing.

Is it weird that so many journalists are basically stalking Luckey as much as possible? Not saying the donations are OK (don't really care either way) but it's just weird. Dude isn't even involved with Oculus anymore.
It might be because this dude was caught lying and then bragging about lying while still associated with Oculus? This is just more hilarity. Confirms he's such a fucking liar.

L Thammy

I think it's fair to assume that the people immediately around Luckey (i.e. Facebook and Oculus) knew what kind of person he is and chose not to do anything. If Luckey was sensitive about his image than his girlfriend's Twitter would have probably disappeared well before the Nimble America business.

Bizzquik

Remember all those years ago when you gave him $300 so he could build you a VR machine from his garage?

....Yeah...you really shouldn't have done that...
Worst.KickStarter.Result.Ever

Do you really think Facebook cares about who Palmer supports? Facebook actually helped with electing Trump with how easily it is to spread fake news on Facebook. It only matters to them when they get backlash from people. There was a significant backlash before the election when it was discovered that Palmer has been supporting an Alt-right group and Trump. It put pressure on Facebook to let go of him, but if he was not caught he would celebrating the tax cuts with Mark Zuckerberg in the near future. There was also a backlash when it was found that fake news was one of the major factor to electing Trump, so they changed how they handle fake news then, and not when it mattered. I have no doubt that they knew what was going on with how much fake news were being shared on Facebook, but they choose to do nothing.

Sure, but that's the problem. There was backlash over the original news, and this news would have brought out more backlash if he was still with Oculus. I'm not suggesting Facebook cares about Luckey's political leanings, I'm suggesting they care about their public face and don't want the backlash that accompanies Luckey's actions.

Neiteio

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened with Jontron. I've probably spent more time watching that guy's show than any TV show. I was borderline depressed when he started spouting off his racist nonsense. (Apparently there had been hints of this on GameGrumps, but I only ever watched the Jontron Show.)

A good comedian should feel like the best friend of everyone in the room. Not someone who labels people and treats them like sub-humans. Not someone who makes jokes at anyone's expense. I really hope something was lost in translation, and/or Jontron reflects on everything and makes a change.

...and yeah, I know this is a Palmer Luckey thread, but it just got me thinking about other online personalities.

Is it petty of me to say that I'm really upset that Luckey has the audacity to use ANYTHING from Chrono Trigger, one of my favorite games, to help out the Trump Administration?

Cause I'm really upset at that.

This seems like something that could cause a trademark issue.

Is it Square Enix who owns Chrono Trigger? These company names are being taken from the script, or song titles? Wings of Time would probably be difficult to enforce, due to the commonality of the words. Even if they had a current trademark on them, which I would question since the game hasn't been recently published on a new platform that I'm aware of. But it's plausible they could C&D usage of the term Fiendlord's Keep. I've never seen the term Fiendlord used outside of CT.

There's always a very real possibility the people you think are cuddly teddy bears are in fact not. Cult of personality is a dangerous thing. A lot of us can't seperate the man from the marketing, and that's why we end up with things like Gamergate and Palmer Luckey.

Not saying Yosp is a bad guy, I hope he isn't.

Yeah... I dunno. What possible reason can someone who's not a journalist have for following fucking Alex Jones twice?!?

After the revelations of him being a shitlord dropped, it makes sense now why he sold out to facebook. This dude has been human garbage since day 0. He ripped off Valve, he lied to his KS backers, he broke a dozen promises and sold out to the worst possible company in regards to privacy and user freedom. He's just trash.

OK, please pump as much of your wealth toward Trump.

Hopefully that Russian shit will eventually explode and he'll have wasted everything.

Fat4all

Banned
should of named them after dark souls bosses

would be more thematically appropriate

"I'm investing heavily in Ceaseless Discharge for Trump!"

Hexa

This seems like something that could cause a trademark issue.

Is it Square Enix who owns Chrono Trigger? These company names are being taken from the script, or song titles? Wings of Time would probably be difficult to enforce, due to the commonality of the words. Even if they had a current trademark on them, which I would question since the game hasn't been recently published on a new platform that I'm aware of. But it's plausible they could C&D usage of the term Fiendlord's Keep. I've never seen the term Fiendlord used outside of CT.

You don't automatically get a trademark just by using a name. You have to apply for it. There are no live trademarks in the US for either Chrono Trigger or Fiendlord's Keep. Hence they are fair game.

Yeah... I dunno. What possible reason can someone who's not a journalist have for following fucking Alex Jones twice?!?
Maybe someone, an older person, from the other side of the world who doesn't follow our own news as much and just follows and likes things?

I honestly don't know and I was just blindly guessing but I'm not going to lump yosp with Jones.

Neiteio

Hey man. I followed Trump on twitter just to see his crazy shit.
I think a lot of people follow Trump on Twitter just to see what crazy shit he says. Unfortunately, in Trump's eyes, all publicity is good publicity. People could tune into his inauguration on TV out of morbid curiosity and abject horror — the kind with which you'd regard a train wreck — and Trump would see the ratings increase and conclude, "People must love me!" Makes my stomach sink to think this is the guy saber-rattling with nuclear North Korea right now.

Edit: apparently the tweet was old. for the record, i think Moriarty is an uninformed ass that people blindly follow because he once spoke about video games.

L Thammy

colin1.png

From PoliGAF.

This is old, and it's also a really shitty way to defend terrible behaviour.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Alex Jones came up as a suggested follow because some other tech dude he follows is a Jones follower and he just hit ok. I don't think a Japanese Sony exec is listening raptly to infowars.

As for him following Luckey, well yeah he was an important VR figure

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
He left at the end of March. The Inauguration was in January. So no, they didn't hold him back at all.

FB has Peter Thiel on its board and argues for having fascists in its leadership because of "political diversity" (because you know, diversity=good, right liberals?). If anything he probably picked up a few tricks there.

Boke1879

No they harassed him and his GF with all those clickbait-y articles :\ she even withdrew from public life b/c of all the attacks. It's his money I could care less where people lean politically.

OR and just follow me on this. His GF made all sorts of public posts on twitter that reflect on the both of them. I mean He is a public personality.

Also how is this click baity? It's literally what happened.

He can do whatever with his money, but he's a liar. He wasn't some libertarian Gary Johnson supporter.

He's not in gaming any more. He's out. It's over. Time to move on.

There are plenty of prominent ex-industry types that warrant discussion. If you're not interested, leave the thread then. No one is forcing you to read anything. I'm assuming you're not attempting to mod the discussion either.

OR and just follow me on this. His GF made all sorts of public posts on twitter that reflect on the both of them. I mean He is a public personality.

He can do whatever with his money, but he's a liar. He wasn't some libertarian Gary Johnson supporter.
You should know by now that prominent people in games (or YouTube) aren't actually celebrities for some reason despite having vast swathes of fans and money so nobody should ever report on them ever. Thanks

/s

IDK I just prefer to keep that stuff out of the news if it isn't related to gamedev and things like that @_@ just bums me out b/c it generally creates an awful discussion

Fat4all

Banned
No they harassed him and his GF with all those clickbait-y articles :\ she even withdrew from public life b/c of all the attacks. It's his money I could care less where people lean politically.

'harassed' them with these articles?

come on now, that's ridiculous

Mask

So the dickbag is backing someone who'll likely end up hurting the video game and VR industry by deterring possible overseas talent from being hired? Does this guy just love shooting himself in the foot or something?

What a utter cock.

L Thammy

Is that really what happened?

(I'm pretty sure most of the blatantly hateful stuff she posted is gone now that she's taken her Twitter down; these are just the first hints of it I could find.)

JaseMath

The words Chrono Trigger and Donald Trump are a combination I didn't think I'd live to hear within the same sentence.

I'm going to kill myself now.

First Linda McMahon, now Palmer Lucky continue donating money to the man who already has billions of dollars.

Why is Trump ok with these handouts? Doesn't he believe in bootstraps? Yet rich people wanna donate all their money to another rich guy.

Bootstraps is a rhetoric excuse. Talking out of your ass. It's common for already wealthy people to get free stuff from friends and acquaintances. Also see: Inheritance.

Top Bottom