• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Becomes the Biggest 3rd Party Game Pass Launch Ever - More than 7 Million Players

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think this performance is probably reassuring to devs worried that GP would cannibalize their sales. I'm sure it does on the Xbox platforms but plenty of people seem willing to shell out for Steam access on PC.

ClosBSAS

It's not entirely clear but regardless the game is huge and a ton of fun.

It's been a bloody long time since I've been as addicted to a new release as I have been with this one. 57 hours already and counting.
Yes, its clear. 12 million on steam alone.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Does a third party developer get a bonus if it does these kinds of numbers on Gamepass? I know one form of compensation is just a flat upfront payment, but there can be performance based payments as well?

Porticus

erection GIF

Nintendo realizing that maybe they should make Pokemon multiplatform.

Thank god they are not stupid and think in such a clueless way as you.

Yonyx

There's no data on how many daily active users there are on Steam, is there? That would be a good data to compare with Xbox's peak of 3 million.

Baki

Why? they’re drowning in cash at minimum 12 million sales.
PlayStation and Switch ports are options too if they want to make even more money.

Lost sales. Game has a clear ability to sell units and didn't need GP for exposure. All they got from GP was an upfront payment. Imagine trading in a $1-3M GP payment but missing out on at-least $30-60M in revenue within the first 2 weeks and countless more as this game remains on GP. Those kind of numbers matter a lot for an indie studio.

Baki

Does a third party developer get a bonus if it does these kinds of numbers on Gamepass? I know one form of compensation is just a flat upfront payment, but there can be performance based payments as well?
Each deal is bespoke. Unknown indie studio that needed cash would have had little leverage in this deal.

Really impressive numbers for that game. Those devs has got to be kicking themselves though, had this been included on PS5 and Switch, those numbers would be close to 40 million.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Really impressive numbers for that game. Those devs has got to be kicking themselves though, had this been included on PS5 and Switch, those numbers would be close to 40 million.

Their previous games have not come to any other console. Don't think this one was on it, but their last Xbox game was on ID @ Xbox, meaning they (Xbox) funded its development. That's what probably led to this games game pass contract.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good on ms getting behind this title.

I hope the game pass curater that found and worked closely with this studio got a fat bonus.

Lost sales. Game has a clear ability to sell units and didn't need GP for exposure. All they got from GP was an upfront payment. Imagine trading in a $1-3M GP payment but missing out on at-least $30-60M in revenue within the first 2 weeks and countless more as this game remains on GP. Those kind of numbers matter a lot for an indie studio.
Next Minecraft / Fortnite will spawn from Gamepass titles.

You are aiming way too small.

This studio is positioned in best situation they could’ve possibly hoped for. Only thing remains to be seen is if they can deliver on updates and make game suitable for long term online play with friends.

Wulfer

It'll be interesting to see if this game moves the needle on Xbox hardware sales??? If it does that, then I'd expect MS to try and purchase the developer.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This Palworld train is insane. No one could've through that it was gonna do what it's doing. I mean, I thought it would be a meme, and maybe a decent game if anything. But good god has it become much more than that. 👀

Esppiral

Proof that you don't need to release a good Game to sell millions, a piece of jank can be a succes just marketing It right.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

“Why did 2 million more people play Palworld on Xbox than played Spider Man 2 on PS5……if there are 50 million PS5 sold?”
Played versus bought?
Xbox includes Xbox One, Xbox Series, Xbox Gamepass and PC Gamepass.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If someone is gonna move in and secure this in any fashion, the time is NOW..

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Never played a pokemon game and I absolutely no-lifed Palworld. Did everything there is to or cared to do. Max level, captured all but 1 tower boss pal. Solo'd all the towers, got the best mount in the game. Built an enormous base.

Only thing I didn't do is really condense Pals to their max and I'm like 18 effigies away from max capture skill. Doesn't really matter when you've caught everything. Great game. They should bring it to Playstation. Pokemon has been gated for too long...this one should be able to be played by everyone.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Never played a pokemon game and I absolutely no-lifed Palworld. Did everything there is to or cared to do. Max level, captured all but 1 tower boss pal. Solo'd all the towers, got the best mount in the game. Built an enormous base.

Only thing I didn't do is really condense Pals to their max and I'm like 18 effigies away from max capture skill. Doesn't really matter when you've caught everything. Great game. They should bring it to Playstation. Pokemon has been gated for too long...this one should be able to be played by everyone.
How many hours did you put in?

//DEVIL//

Why MS didn't / doesn't lock this on Xbox like Sony does is beyond me.

They wanted hardware and gamepass sales..... but they are not willing to do anything to this hit game before it becomes bigger than fortnight.

Nope.. just gonna watch like idiots and see it slipping away.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Bout 100 or so. I'd have to check my steam. When I hit level 50 I was at 89 hours.
Ok, that makes sense. I’m about 50 hours in, level 45 and still have lots to build and a ton of the map to explore. I’ve beaten 2 of the gym leaders.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why MS didn't / doesn't lock this on Xbox like Sony does is beyond me.

They wanted hardware and gamepass sales..... but they are not willing to do anything to this hit game before it becomes bigger than fortnight.

Nope.. just gonna watch like idiots and see it slipping away.
They’re working with the team on patches. There might be some talks happening that we don’t know about. Phil might be lubing up to make sure the devs enjoy the ride too.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok, that makes sense. I’m about 50 hours in, level 45 and still have lots to build and a ton of the map to explore. I’ve beaten 2 of the gym leaders.
Yea I spent an entire day (not 24 hours, but let's say an entire session) of playing just building the base. The building was kinda wonky at the time, but they released a patch on steam last night that was supposed to fix a lot of this. What's interesting is that when building a base you gotta consider the pathing on the Pal's because the AI sometimes doesn't know how to navigate around structures.

The design me and a buddy came up with was like a staggered wall diamond design. If you can imagine, each perimeter wall of the enclosure is staggered, so a single wall points north/south, connected to a wall that's east/west. Imagine A staircase-shaped designed if you were looking down from the sky. This allowed for "comparments" in the interior where each little corner would be it's own space. Put one Pal bed in each corner up to 15. The rest of the corners were reserved for different machines so all the Pals could get to their workstations or beds without obstructing one another. Then the open interior is where we would put the assembly lines, set up in "lanes" providing ample room for pal to come help on the line.
Second floor was for non-pal machine and we built separate apartments as our "rooms". It's kinda nutty when I actually describe it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is the organic nurturing the fanboys want to see. Ms need to put a ring on this dev. Found a goldmine here with this game.

Top Bottom