• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash - Official E3 2016 Trailer

Sort of. Not complete. They removed the question about why Paper Mario isn't an RPG anymore. It's because of the Mario and Luigi series if anyone is wondering.

Edit: Did anyone see the Gameplay video since that is gone as well?
No, that's still there, the question is at 6:15.

Kinsei

Banned
Hit up new characters!

*Only shows one new character*

Are you kidding me right now? I could deal with it not being a traditional RPG if the awesome characters the Paper Mario series was known for is there, but it seems like that's not the case. Generic toads as far as eye eye can see, how lovely.

*Only shows one new character*

Are you kidding me right now? I could deal with it not being a traditional RPG if the awesome characters the Paper Mario series was known for is there, but it seems like that's not the case. Generic toads as far as eye eye can see, how lovely.
In GameXplain's interview video I thought it was funny when she was explaining that one of the reasons people liked Paper Mario was for the colorful characters and the scene they showed was a large group of generic Toads at a beach.

The fact that their answer to those who want to see a return to gameplay form for Paper Mario was basically "play a different game series" still seems crazy to me. Full blown pants on head stupid.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks great
Sounds great
It has great dialogues, crazy moments and humour
Koopalings speak! No more mute bowser
Hp and color bar increase with progression
Cards strategy has been added and twicked
Exploration makes sense now thanks to cards and color refill to be found

The treehouse demo was very good. I am disappointed just by the lack of amiibo

javadoze

I've come to terms with the fact that there won't be another true Paper Mario RPG. But with that said, I wonder why they're still scared off of creating new characters for a new setting like Prism Island?

I've come to terms with the fact that there won't be another true Paper Mario RPG. But with that said, I wonder why they're still scared off of creating new characters for a new setting like Prism Island?
It's possible it's a mandate--Miyamoto told the developers to only use established Mario characters in Sticker Star as much as possible, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is devoid of any original characters, and now Color Splash and its land of many Toads.

It seems like only mainline Mario platformers are allowed to create new characters (outside of the requisite floating helper character), and even back in Galaxy's development Miyamoto was against Rosalina at first. I don't know what the hell all of a sudden crawled up their butt about this.

Looks absolutely gorgeous. But it hurts, so badly, to confirm that it continues the utter sterilization of the Paper Mario series that Sticker Star began. RIP unique characters, elaborate stories, and good gameplay. I mean, fingers crossed it'll be at least better than Sticker Star's... bizarre incorporation of RPG battling in a game that they didn't fit in. But still.

With even the Mario & Luigi series growing more sterile as time goes by, it's a very bad time to be a Mario spinoff fan.

R0ckman

In GameXplain's interview video I thought it was funny when she was explaining that one of the reasons people liked Paper Mario was for the colorful characters and the scene they showed was a large group of generic Toads at a beach.

The fact that their answer to those who want to see a return to gameplay form for Paper Mario was basically "play a different game series" still seems crazy to me. Full blown pants on head stupid.

I seriously can't imagine the team enjoying this compared to what they use to do. They had so much creative freedom for the Mario world in terms of story and character.

That's basically what's wrong with Nintendo. Who's company in their right mind would dismiss demand from their consumers.
"We want this ! We'll give you money for this"
"I don't care, I give you this. Deal with it"

Sticker Star with some adjustments could have been much better, this may have improved but still, I'm so BORED by the toads. Stop trying to have a formula for Paper Mario's story. STOP.

All those dislikes on youtube....
Not quite Federation Force bad, but now I understand why Nintendo only brought Zelda to E3. At least it looks like fans are on board with the new Zelda direction.

IMO, Paper Mario:Color Splash looks like a decent/good game that I will probably buy. I think myself and the rest of the fans are just disappointed the developers made some interesting choices to change battle system that weren't necessary. The system in TTYD was perfect and the franchise has slowly gotten worse after each subsequent entry because they keep trying to change things up for the sake of change.

Sometimes Nintendo devs need to understand that adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

xandaca

Looks totally soulless, but decent enough. Might ask for it for my birthday, as it only releases two and a half months before. I do not expect the wait to kill me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Game looks absolutely gorgeous...but the game play is not the Paper Mario I love.
I feel the same. I want to like it, but it has shades of Sticker Star. Not sure I like that. I guess the Paper Mario and M&L franchises are getting away from me. Too many gimmicks now.

But I might still look into it. It looks gorgeous.

It's Not like that stopped people from loving Super Paper Mario
I loved Super Paper Mario.

I'd like a sequel with the effects of this game.

FluxWaveZ

LHj3fl0.png
Still makes me want to cry. The entire crux of the issue summed up in this succinct image.

Blues1990

It's possible it's a mandate--Miyamoto told the developers to only use established Mario characters in Sticker Star as much as possible, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is devoid of any original characters, and now Color Splash and its land of many Toads.

It seems like only mainline Mario platformers are allowed to create new characters (outside of the requisite floating helper character), and even back in Galaxy's development Miyamoto was against Rosalina at first. I don't know what the hell all of a sudden crawled up their butt about this.

Which is incredibly stupid, and I wished Miyamoto didn't have such pulling power that can actually damage the whole experience. I can understand the platforming games not needing a story, but he's incredibly dumb to think a role-playing game doesn't need original characters, an engaging plot, and will go out of his way to demand them to throw everything out for the sake of "innovation". A Role-Playing video game needs a solid narrative & cast of inviting characters to make it all work, and the first three Paper Mario games had that in spades. (Both 'The Thousand-Year Door' & 'Super Paper Mario' were not only charming, but were also gut-bustingly hilarious.)

I just wish the development team could grow a spine and tell him bluntly that they want to do what they think will make a better game, rather than blindly following all of his demands. The guy is an excellent level designer and creates some unique experiences, but there comes a time and place where I wish he could just focus on that and leave well enough alone.

Aldric

All those dislikes on youtube....
Not quite Federation Force bad, but now I understand why Nintendo only brought Zelda to E3. At least it looks like fans are on board with the new Zelda direction.

lt's maybe because it feels like Aonuma is actually aware of the feedback from Zelda fans and tries to fix what they don't like. l don't know why EAD 3 seem to be the only ones who listen to their customer base. Everything else is so baffingly tone deaf.

Mory Dunz

The only good thing is the fully 3D camera. That's about it

(and probably the music butTBD).

well the graphics are good....but I wonder if it went a bit too far. That's really fine though. What I don't like is the random fully 3D things. It's weird and sticks out. i.e. the paint being fully regular looking 3D. And also for those special attacks when the random stuff comes. It's jarring.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm watching the Treehouse segment now and the worst thing is that the levels you explore actually look really fun. If they got rid of the boss battles almost requiring certain items that you might not have and peppered the worlds with interesting characters then I think the game could be amazing.

skypunch

Banned
The realistic looking real world objects that appear in combat look absolutely disgusting when mixed with the art of the rest of the game. Whoever is putting this shit in these games needs to be chucked.

Biske

I think this game looks amazing. I understand the criticisms but I really loved Sticker Star. If only for it having "levels" turns out chunking the game into playable bits like that, is really my jam.

If they could mix this beautiful game with the uniqueness and character(s) of the first two paper mario games, would have something truly special, its flabbergasting the way they have made it dull in that way. But still really looking forward to this.

The game visually looks nice. But I'm not on board with this. After playing sticker star, I will pass on this game. Who knows, maybe I will play this one day when it gets cheaper or if I have a sudden urge to play this game.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished the Treehouse Live segment and this looks like a huge step up from Sticker Star. There's still a lot of stuff I don;t like such as the lack of new characters or the thing cards but I think this will end up being a good game. At least battles are worthwhile this time!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually a lot of people didn't like Super Paper Mario. But that game at least had a story and new characters.

It was the story aspect that a lot of people didn't like because from early screenshots people were expecting an interesting 2D/3D puzzle platformer. What they got was oodles of text boxes interrupting the flow. It was that complaint that they took on board for Sticker Star, which obviously prompted Miyamoto to ask if story was a necessity.

The presentation is perfect, gameplay wise I'm not 100% sold but I'm confident that they can refine on Stick Stars shortcomings. Following on from SS doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Simbabbad

I don't find the idea to turn Paper Mario into an adventure game a bad one, it's actually IMO a good move since it fits the humour of the game quite well and allows the team to try new things, that aspect worked in Super Paper Mario (the pacing and action didn't). Also, Nintendo doesn't really have other adventure game franchises whereas there is another Mario RPG series.
But that shift was badly implemented in Sticker Star: in Monkey Island, you don't LOSE items every time you try them on something. I hope they fixed the issues of the 3DS game.

As for the Toad design, I'm amazed anybody cares about stuff like this. I find funny they went to a Smurf approach, the different designs were sort of lame.

Litri

Actually, thinking about it... It may not be the Paper Mario I expected but I think I'm going to laugh my ass off and that's enough even if the mechanics don't echo what I thought.

Celine

Looks totally soulless, but decent enough. Might ask for it for my birthday, as it only releases two and a half months before. I do not expect the wait to kill me.
I'm puzzled how one can say the game "looks totally soulless" after watching the Treehouse playthrough.
There are a lot of of color swapped toads but the writings seems on point (good humor) and the events seems interesting.

MrBadger

Looks great
Sounds great
It has great dialogues, crazy moments and humour
Koopalings speak! No more mute bowser
Hp and color bar increase with progression
Cards strategy has been added and twicked
Exploration makes sense now thanks to cards and color refill to be found

The treehouse demo was very good. I am disappointed just by the lack of amiibo

This shit blew my mind when it was considered a plus for Paper Jam and it blows my mind now. Bowser was formally one of the funniest characters in the series and now we're speculating on whether he actually has dialogue or not...amazing.

It was the story aspect that a lot of people didn't like because from early screenshots people were expecting an interesting 2D/3D puzzle platformer. What they got was oodles of text boxes interrupting the flow. It was that complaint that they took on board for Sticker Star, which obviously prompted Miyamoto to ask if story was a necessity.

I know that, but there's clearly a balance between way too much text and mute Bowser with generic Toads.

Celine

Hahahah, that was so fucking awesome!! The style looks gorgeous but let's see the gameplay
This is the gameplay segment if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh16YgtySJI

I don't find the idea to turn Paper Mario into an adventure game a bad one, it's actually IMO a good move since it fits the humour of the game quite well and allows the team to try new things, that aspect worked in Super Paper Mario (the pacing and action didn't).
Paper Mario codename during development was Super Mario Adventure.

I don't know if we played the same game because the boss battles were the thing I think I hated the absolute most in that dreadful game.

How?

What I did dislike about the battles, however, was that it was very easy to max out on coins before finishing Chapter 4. From that point on, battles do become completely pointless because you have unlocked the "do X amount of battles" achievement by far, the "collect 9999 coins" achievement, and you have more than enough coins to unlock the "spend X amount of coins in shops" achievement as well.

Iokis

I really want to give this the benefit of the doubt but Sticker Star left such a bitter taste in my mouth I just can't do it. :/

Will be looking at reviews and videos when this is released though, if it's not as Sticker Star-y as it seems then I might take a punt on it.

If, however, I read one mention of bosses requiring arbitrary items to beat with the game offering no hint as to which item that is, I ain't going for it. No way. Nu-uh.

Seen others offer the opinion that they hope this tanks so Nintendo "get the message" that we want a return to 64/TTYD Paper Mario, but y'all know that the tone-deaf attitude of execs just means that the series will end up being killed off instead of the direction being changed.

Oddish1

I doubt Miyamoto has anything to do with this. At this point it seems to be a direction IntSys wanted to go in and has nothing to do with a mandate that probably never existed.

woopWOOP

That trailer was almost Parodius levels of weird. Also I guess there's Paper Koopalings now

I haven't played a Paper Mario game since TTYD and I kind of want to give this one a shot (mostly because I really love the style it has going on), but apparently most people utterly loathed the 3DS game this one's heavily based on?
Aside from lack of story or fun characters, what made the gameplay so shit in Sticker Star? I'm reading something about bosses requiring specific items/attacks to beat them or something?

Kinsei

Banned
That trailer was almost Parodius levels of weird. Also I guess there's Paper Koopalings now

I haven't played a Paper Mario game since TTYD and I kind of want to give this one a shot (mostly because I really love the style it has going on), but apparently most people utterly loathed the 3DS game this one's heavily based on?
Aside from lack of story or fun characters, what made the gameplay so shit in Sticker Star? I'm reading something about bosses requiring specific items/attacks to beat them or something?

The bosses required specific items that were one time use. If you used them for battle or a puzzle you would have to backtrack and get a new one in order to beat the boss. The thing was for most of the bosses there was no hint until you were already fighting it.

Normal battles were worthless. They only gave you coins which were used to replace the stickers you used in battle.

SerTapTap

They're really afraid of explicitly showing the consumables on-trailer, huh? I can see why, but uh, if they know it's a problem why are they in the game?

Saw this trailer and though "This looks really good visually, but those big attacks feel like the big sticker attacks, I hope that doesn't mean--" and then the treehouse stream confirms my worst fears.

All they had to do was make items not consumable. You could even keep the annoying item limit.

Edit:

You know that thing in RPGs where you don't want to use that hi potion because you can't buy another even though they're semi-common drops in the world? And you'll NEVER use that elixir because, really, it's too good, you'll use it later?

Imagine every. Single. Action. in battle has that same anxiety to it. And you can't hoard items either, because you have a fairly strict limit. And battles don't drop more items, only coins to buy the most basic actions back, which requires a trip back to town every time. you can get extra big, extra rare items to beat bosses...but they take even MORE space and are even HARDER to part with, but you can't hoard them or you'll run out of space.

It HATES you. The game HATES you and it wants you to suffer.

woopWOOP

The bosses required specific items that were one time use. If you used them for battle or a puzzle you would have to backtrack and get a new one in order to beat the boss. The thing was for most of the bosses there was no hint until you were already fighting it.

Normal battles were worthless. They only gave you coins which were used to replace the stickers you used in battle.

You know that thing in RPGs where you don't want to use that hi potion because you can't buy another even though they're semi-common drops in the world? And you'll NEVER use that elixir because, really, it's too good, you'll use it later?

Imagine every. Single. Action. in battle has that same anxiety to it. And you can't hoard items either, because you have a fairly strict limit. And battles don't drop more items, only coins to buy the most basic actions back, which requires a trip back to town every time. you can get extra big, extra rare items to beat bosses...but they take even MORE space and are even HARDER to part with, but you can't hoard them or you'll run out of space.

It HATES you. The game HATES you and it wants you to suffer.
Alright, that does sound like garbarge, lol
Reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, where you have limited space for one time quest items. Ditch the wrong one and you'll never be able to 100% your 200+ hour savefile.

Well, here's hoping they made some changes to that system, but I noticed that other thread earlier and... guess things aren't looking too good huh.

Top Bottom