• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) |OT| Jr. Troopa Brings the Pain.. AGAIN!

But had great story, encounters, characters, music, and I don't see how you mean it wasn't a good platformer...it's not like PM and TTYD had good platforming to them.

I think the argument is that PM/TTYD made up for the platforming by being good RPGs. SPM couldn't hold a candle to those as RPGs, and certainly not to 2D Mario/3D Mario as a platformer. It was an idea that sounded good on paper but the result was sub-par.

Pretty much what was said above. I can't consider SPM to be as great as the other Paper Mario games because it failed in the most important aspect, because even though they had a story, they also had quality gameplay, which is the main reason why I have returned to them time and time again (which I don't do anymore for different reasons I posted earlier in the thread).

Aeana

I don't really see how given that SPM wasn't a good platformer or even a good RPG.

I think the main problem is that people try to judge it as a platformer or as a full-blown RPG. The genre that SPM truly belongs to was long forgotten by the time of its release, sadly. It fits in with games like Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Ys 3, Wonder Boy, etc. The sidescrolling RPG.

There was a definite clash of expectations for many people going in, which no doubt contributed to the poor experiences. For me, I was ecstatic to get a new game in that genre, and was not remotely disappointed. I absolutely love SPM.

ok heres a doozy for you all..

i played super paper mario, loved it, so does that mean i will enjoy this or because most of you dont like super paper mario does it mean theres a chance i wont enjoy it?

:)

Hatchtag

Banned
ok heres a doozy for you all..

i played super paper mario, loved it, so does that mean i will enjoy this or because most of you dont like super paper mario does it mean theres a chance i wont enjoy it?

:)

There's a low chance you won't like it, like if you just can't stomach turn based RPGs or something. But you'll almost certainly like it.

I played this great game on Wii with a Gamecube controller. What controllers can you use for this version? I assume you can't use the Gamecube adapter, but can you use the Wii U Pro controller or only the gamepad?

Obligatory heart attack at the sight of "Paper Mario (Wii U".

So many memories. I miss the first two Paper Mario games so much, I'm tempted to play PM1 again.

TheMoon

I played this great game on Wii with a Gamecube controller. What controllers can you use for this version? I assume you can't use the Gamecube adapter, but can you use the Wii U Pro controller or only the gamepad?

All VC games (exception being DS VC) support all official controllers (which does not include the GCN thing obviously).

MrBadger

I thought SPM was great, even though it often prides itself in putting you through boring shit that would be considered bad design in any other game. I think it has the best writing in the series, though. Story's really good and the humour is really in touch with the target audience.

Brofield

SPM had a hilarious story, and I wouldn't mind trying to replay the game again at some point.

Paper Mario though I think was the first, if only, N64 virtual console game I played to completion. Took me a while to realize (left the console running overnight) there was no post-game after the end credits, but it was still fantastic all the same. I'll gladly pick this one up again.

Still looking for TTYD re-released digitally in 1080p widescreen

Had kind of a crappy day yesterday and bought this on a whim, despite never having played a Paper Mario game.

I think I'm in love. Can't wait to check out the rest of the series! Also, I would do dirty, nasty things for a Paper Mario Wii U.

SPM had a hilarious story, and I wouldn't mind trying to replay the game again at some point.

Same, actually. Not only to see how my adult mind would perceive the story, but also since it won't feel as stale since I never played it as much as the first two games. I'd say for every 1 SPM playthrough I've done since April 2007, I've done 5 playthroughs of both PM64 and TTYD. Each.

flohen95

Of the two games, which one has the longer campaign and additional quests, Paper Mario or TTYD?

I don't know for a fact, but from my experience, TTYD is the meatier game. It also allows you to continue playing after you beat the final boss, which Paper Mario doesn't, and it doesn't have a level cap, which Paper Mario does.

Super Paper Mario wasn't the Paper Mario I wanted for the Wii, but it was still a fantastic game.

I agree completely. It's a great Mario game, but not a great Paper Mario game IMO. I really missed the turn based action, but the story was great and it was fun.

Sticker Star just completely missed the mark for me. I missed the sense of adventure in the other 3 games (mainly the first two games because you travelled to many different places), and the battles were just awful. There was no leveling, so you didn't even need to fight battles, and needing stickers to battle (sometimes specific stickers) just made it difficult.

I really don't want them to abandon Paper Mario because I really think they could do another killer game, but just go back to more of the formula of the first two games. Lots of places to visit, turn based (non-sticker) battles, leveling up.

I think the main problem is that people try to judge it as a platformer or as a full-blown RPG. The genre that SPM truly belongs to was long forgotten by the time of its release, sadly. It fits in with games like Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Ys 3, Wonder Boy, etc. The sidescrolling RPG.

There was a definite clash of expectations for many people going in, which no doubt contributed to the poor experiences. For me, I was ecstatic to get a new game in that genre, and was not remotely disappointed. I absolutely love SPM.

Well I only really played through it twice. I think I enjoyed it the first playthrough that I did, but then it became years before I attempted it again.

I won't really deny what WillyFive thinks is good about SPM, because quite frankly, I agree with him on SPM's good points. But I think, revisiting that particular game, I'm not sure if I would ever return to it since I got what I can out of it.

Slight change of pace, Thinking back when the fake TTYD 3ds thing happened, I was aware that it was fake, and thought I would've been fine without it. But the reveal actually did a bigger toll than expected because I realized that my interest in Mario RPGs are at an all time low, since the two highly regarded Paper Mario games wouldn't interest me as standalone releases for retail on a 3DS, and I was burnt on Dream Team, which I expected when I heard it was close to 35-40 hours.

Never played a Paper Mario game. I boycotted it because of how much I loved Super Mario RPG. Is this one considered the best one?

stuminus3

Huh. I think you just described the reason I could never understand why people didn't like SPM.

Super Paper Mario was my favorite game on the Wii, and probably my favorite Nintendo game ever.

Guess I'm some kind of scumbag or something. Sucks for me.

woopWOOP

I think I already replayed this game three times, but the last time must've been more than 6 to 8 years ago by now. Really feel like replaying it again whenever I'm just looking at images (like the first post!) ....Ahh, but the backlog's already too big. Maybe another time...

I never bothered with SPM because of the backlash, but I still kind of want to give it a shot, while keeping in mind that it's nothing like the previous entries to damper any potential disappointment. Anybody know if/where I can get it for cheap?

I think I already replayed this game three times, but the last time must've been more than 6 to 8 years ago by now. Really feel like replaying it again whenever I'm just looking at images (like the first post!) ....Ahh, but the backlog's already too big. Maybe another time...

I never bothered with SPM because of the backlash, but I still kind of want to give it a shot, while keeping in mind that it's nothing like the previous entries to damper any potential disappointment. Anybody know if/where I can get it for cheap?

Try amazon. It was one of the titles that got officially discounted, so the asking price shouldn't be too bad.

Why would you do that...?

And I think generally the GCN sequel is considered a little better, but this one is still good.

Because it was my favorite game at the time and I was anxiously awaiting a sequel and instead they made Paper Mario which completely replaced and erased the Mario RPG universe forever. I'm still bitter.

I will give this a shot, but I know it doesn't have Geno or Mallow or Bowser as a teammate and that is lame as hell.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The genre that SPM truly belongs to was long forgotten by the time of its release, sadly. It fits in with games like Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Ys 3, Wonder Boy, etc. The sidescrolling RPG.

Now you got me interested in that game. I really like all the games you mentioned, maybe I should look into SPM after all.

udivision

Because it was my favorite game at the time and I was anxiously awaiting a sequel and instead they made Paper Mario which completely replaced and erased the Mario RPG universe forever. I'm still bitter.

I will give this a shot, but I know it doesn't have Geno or Mallow or Bowser as a teammate and that is lame as hell.

I thought they same thing back in 2001. Thankfully I got over it and now, to be honest I consider TTYD to be better game than SMRPG, but thanks to nostalgia SMPRG was a better "experience".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Started playing this tonight. T-the memories all came flowing back to me! The music especially feels instantly familiar, and I remember basically everything from when I played it years ago.

This time, though, I wanna go for 100%---but what would be considered 100% in this game?

Super Paper Mario isn't a game...it's an experience.

Seriously. It's really hard to replay it, but the first time really blows you away. It does seem Intelligent Systems really wanted to sort of mess with players at parts with some outright bizarre pacing, but there's so many imaginative and weird touches they threw in I honestly don't take people who outright dismiss Super Paper Mario seriously. I'm tempted to say the game is right up there with Majora's Mask in being one of Nintendo's most unique titles among their big franchises.

KiN0

I also loved SPM. The story and setting were refreshingly bleak for a mario game and there were some truly brilliant moments of humor. I just wish the npc designs were less ugly. I know they were going for a pixel-esque look but it ended up looking really lazy and poorly thought out.

Shojx

Super Paper Mario isn't a game...it's an experience.

Seriously. It's really hard to replay it, but the first time really blows you away. It does seem Intelligent Systems really wanted to sort of mess with players at parts with some outright bizarre pacing, but there's so many imaginative and weird touches they threw in I honestly don't take people who outright dismiss Super Paper Mario seriously. I'm tempted to say the game is right up there with Majora's Mask in being one of Nintendo's most unique titles among their big franchises.

I think this is a problem that extended to Sticker Star as well, expectations versus reality. After SPM, despite being a great game, failed to live up to some people's expectations, they looked onward to Sticker Star to fill that void left by the desire for another RPG more like 64 and TTYD. I honestly think Sticker Star likely started off as an RPG more similar to the original games, but changed throughout development into something that sort of resembles what would happen if you crossed SPM with PM64. Yet we ended up with was something that didn't quite play like an RPG nor a platformer, and thus, both fans of 64/TTYD and SPM likely got something that didn't meet their expectations.

To be honest, neither SPM nor SS fit the image of a "Paper Mario" game. They both fit better as individual games of their own genre with a "Paper Mario" aesthetic. So if you go into either expecting a Paper Mario game like 64 or TTYD, you might find yourself disappointed by that "clash of expectations". I think this is more easily overlooked with SPM though, because from the start, the game never really resembled the titles that came before it. I honestly went into SPM expecting a fun platforming experience with RPG elements and that's essentially what I got from it, and I liked it.

As far as Sticker Star goes though, this game initially resembled a classic Paper Mario RPG, so I'm sure many people, myself included, initially went into it expecting something like that. But the game was more of an action/adventure with puzzles and RPG elements. The lack of a story turned some people off. Battles often felt pointless since you wouldn't get any experience from them. Some of the puzzles were frustrating and required backtracking and guesswork that you wouldn't really expect from a game that appears to be linear. But there's still a fun game there, if you like exploration, puzzles, and Mario. If you go into the game expecting Paper Mario, you're probably going to be put off by how different it is. But if you go into it without any expectations, you might find an enjoyable experience somewhere in there. And honestly, this game played more like a Paper Mario than SPM did, and I ended up enjoying it overall, despite its issues.

I also liked SPM for what it was. Interesting levels, fairly deep story + good humor (albeit occasionally text heavy), fun to play, etc. etc., it felt like a pretty unique game for the generation in which it released.

Anyways, this game, the original Paper Mario, is what established the "Paper Mario" formula a lot of people love, while its sequel, TTYD, built onto and improved it in virtually every aspect. In that way, the first game feels like "Paper Mario -lite-" while the sequel feels like "Paper Mario +". Some people probably prefer the simplicity present in 64, while I'm sure others really like how TTYD expanded on virtually everything from 64.

I think they're all good games though. I prefer the first two games, but the latter two aren't bad games, in my opinion. They're just different types of games. I type too much.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Unpopular opinion, but while I didn't like Sticker Star ultimately, I think it did have a lot of cool ideas...

The platformer-style level progression with a branching world-map, an inventory-based battle system, focusing on the "core" Mario cast...all of this could've made a GREAT RPG, honestly. Imagine if the levels were basically miniature scenarios with interesting plots and such that built upon the story, the battle system was a bit more fine-tuned to be rewarding (think like Baten Kaitos---hell, before Sticker Star came out, I thought it was gonna have some depth like that game), and your party was comprised of classic characters like Daisy, Wario, Donkey Kong, etc.

But they missed the boat, honestly---still, I would like to see them take another shot at the Sticker Star formula fixing those issues.

Chrom

This time, though, I wanna go for 100%---but what would be considered 100% in this game?

I think the main things to consider would be maxing your level and partners, collecting every badge, getting the Ultra Boots and Ultra Hammer, and beating any and all optional bosses.

There are a bunch of minor things one could also do for the sake of doing them, like the Tayce T. recipes and having Goombario use Tattle on everything imaginable, but that's up to you if you want to do them since the game doesn't really make a big deal about it.

Unpopular opinion, but while I didn't like Sticker Star ultimately, I think it did have a lot of cool ideas...

The platformer-style level progression with a branching world-map, an inventory-based battle system, focusing on the "core" Mario cast...all of this could've made a GREAT RPG, honestly. Imagine if the levels were basically miniature scenarios with interesting plots and such that built upon the story, the battle system was a bit more fine-tuned to be rewarding (think like Baten Kaitos---hell, before Sticker Star came out, I thought it was gonna have some depth like that game), and your party was comprised of classic characters like Daisy, Wario, Donkey Kong, etc.

But they missed the boat, honestly---still, I would like to see them take another shot at the Sticker Star formula fixing those issues.

I also wanted this even though I like it

jnWake

Super Paper Mario is a weird game. I didn't really like it at first but it won me over around Chapter 4. The plot in Sammer Kingdom is one of my favourite things in all games I've played though, it really made me appreciate the game. One thing I liked was how much the developers liked to mess with the player's patience in the game putting stuff like Chapter 2's money grind, Chapter 4's "maze", the Sammer Kingdom challenge (the real one), the Pit of Trials and that stuff. I only managed to beat all that stuff because the combat was really fun and challenging.

Ok GAF, help me decide if I should download this tonight...

I Love Nintendo and Mario games but aside from Super Mario RPG I've never played any of the Mario RPG/Paper Mario games.

With this being a N64 game, I'm worried it will look like shit on a 60" Plasma.

Also, is it safe to assume it has that Nintendo charm/polish their known for?

Thoughts?

Does is sound like I'd like this?

Ok GAF, help me decide if I should download this tonight...

I Love Nintendo and Mario games but aside from Super Mario RPG I've never played any of the Mario RPG/Paper Mario games.

With this being a N64 game, I'm worried it will look like shit on a 60" Plasma.

Also, is it safe to assume it has that Nintendo charm/polish their known for?

Thoughts?

Does is sound like I'd like this?
I play mine on a 55" plasma and think it looks great. The assets in Paper Mario probably aged better than any n64 game out there. The amount of charm and polish is through the roof. Almost every screen had a neat little secret to find. My favorite part is the helper "Goombario" who you can have examine every single npc in the game and give you a neat bio on them, as well as telling you about the world and areas. The attention the detail and overall charm in the writing will make any Nintendo fan happy.

I say go for it. It's aged incredibly well. And it should look miles better than smrpg.

Top Bottom