• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario (Wii U VC) |OT| Jr. Troopa Brings the Pain.. AGAIN!

Thanks again for Daydream putting up the thread.

I've made it to Chapter 4 (IE the best chapter) this afternoon.

Paper Mario is still one of my personal GOAT but here are some comments on the Wii U port.

- Game runs fine on whatever software it's running from on the Wii U but there was noticeable hiccup and lag in one moment during the Tubba Blubba chase sequence. Worried on what other issue to come during my playthrough.

- Remapping buttons is a great boon. Don't have to use the right stick to awkwardly use my items or partner skills.

- Gonzo pointed this out early this week but I can confirm that game is indeed noticeably darker than the Wii version. Don't know why Nintendo did this. I like to have my TV somewhat saturated and bright so it isn't that much of a problem, though.

- I feared there was going to be some gamebreaking input lag like I experienced in Donkey Kong 6r or Super Mario 64 but it doesn't seem to be the case in this one n64 VC game. Maybe it's just my TV?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Found another glitch---that's two so far, unsure if they're Wii U Specific.

I talked to the Bob-Ombs in Kooper's house (the ones who are exploding), and it messed up Mario---after the dialogue disappeared, Mario just slid around and none of the buttons worked. All I could was reset, luckily I had just saved.

Robin64

Confirmed in this week's PR to be releasing in Europe on May 21st.
Paper Mario €9.99 / £8.99 - This is the European version of the game, which was originally optimised by the developer to play music at a speed similar to the US version. Gameplay, demos and animations run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

scamander

Banned
Darn. I guess I have to stick to my guns of not buying any "upgraded" versions of EUropean software. But I'm not surprised given how text heavy PM is.

Yeah, it's not surprising in the slightest, but I really don't understand why they can't just give the choice between the European and the US release. Maybe because of PEGI?

jimi_dini

Yeah, it's not surprising in the slightest, but I really don't understand why they can't just give the choice between the European and the US release. Maybe because of PEGI?

It's not just PEGI. There is also the USK for Germany.
They would have to spend some bucks to get the game rated twice (well effectively 4 times). Probably only a very tiny amount of people would actually buy the US version (it is a text-heavy game and UK is just a tiny country inside Europe). Which would make such an investment quite worthless.

I would like to have the ability to choose as well, but I can understand why they are not doing it.

TheMoon

They would have to spend some bucks to get the game rated twice (well effectively 4 times). Probably only a very tiny amount of people would actually buy the US version (it is a text-heavy game and UK is just a tiny country inside Europe). Which would make such an investment quite worthless.

I would like to have the ability to choose as well, but I can understand why they are not doing it.

Ironically, they could at least let the Aussies have all the US versions since they have their own ratings board and don't have any other official languages to worry about.

Well, maybe once that new ratings thing for digital games finally becomes active everything about this that relates to ratings (not just VC, I'm referring to all digital only games) becomes better.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think this is a factor. Super Mario 64 was for example rated for the Wii by PEGI and USK (they didn't exist back in 1997), and N64 by the OFLC, there hasn't been any re-ratings since. We did get the PAL version on Wii VC and now we got the NTSC version on Wii U VC.

Watch Da Birdie

The whole Chuck Quizmo side-quest is such a tedious grind---

I wish it was incorporated into the game in a more organic, natural way...instead, I only encountered Chuck like twice during my entire playthrough of the main story, now I'm just going back and forth between Goomba and Koopa Village 62 times so he'll spawn.

I've decided I'm not gonna bother with Recipes (no good way to track them really so it's tedious to me), or trying to max out Mario's level since that just seems like a grind. I plan to get all the Star Pieces and Badges and beat the main plot for my "100%" run.

I hope I can beat Huff N. Puff now, could never beat him as a kid without cheating iirc.

Box

I didn't know there was an OT for this.

This is the first time going for a 'complete' run. I also decided to add a bit more challenge by not leveling up HP. I'm still allowing myself to use HP plus badges when I find them though. If I get to a point where I have to level up HP, I'll just retire the HP plus badges. I like it though because it makes the game a bit more difficult without being a challenge run.

I also really like the fact that this game uses single digit numbers for damage. It lets you be really specific about how much damage each attack does while retaining an intuitive understanding of what that means. A lot of RPGs, particularly JRPGs, have huge 3 or 4 digit numbers for damage, hp, stats, etc. The thing is, it's rare that any digits beyond the first 1 or 2 even matter. In Paper Mario, you can easily count the number of turns it will take to defeat an enemy, and how that changes when you use different attacks. When you get a new hammer in Paper Mario and can do 2 more damage with each attack, you can immediately understand and appreciate the full implications of that. In other JRPGs, if you swap a weapon with 117 attack for one with 143, you understand that it's an improvement but it's more of a vague idea that you'll do more damage instead of now knowing which exact combinations of moves will defeat enemies faster.

Anyway, I think it's a really well-designed RPG in terms of mechanics. The fact that it's really easy disguises the depth.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I agree it's nice to pretty much know what Mario can take and plan your strategy around that...

I don't really think Paper Mario is an "easy" game, though. I find it to be more difficult than Super Mario RPG, and I feel you do have to play conservative especially early on where you can quickly become overwhelmed by foes and quickly fall to critical HP. It's manageable difficulty and you learn from your mistakes and there's a feel sense of getting better though as you learn timings and what to expect from each enemy.

Playing it now and loving it! It's my first playthrough of it. I'm very fond of Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars and this nails that feel.

I miss Mallow, Geno, and playable Mario-Throwing Bowser.

ec0ec0

Confirmed in this week's PR to be releasing in Europe on May 21st.

i don't even know why i looked...

region free eshop now!! Nintendo, i just want to buy the us versions. I'll renounce to my main language. Please :,(

For some games, i'd even buy the japanese version before the pal one.

Watch Da Birdie

I feel like out of all the RPGs, the original Paper Mario does the best job at nailing the feel of the Mushroom Kingdom while still doing its own thing...

I guess Sticker Star for better or worse does that as well, but less so on the "does its own thing" part.

Slevin

I feel like out of all the RPGs, the original Paper Mario does the best job at nailing the feel of the Mushroom Kingdom while still doing its own thing...

I guess Sticker Star for better or worse does that as well, but less so on the "does its own thing" part.

This is probably the main reason PM64 is my favorite. It really feels like a Mario game due to the Mushroom Kingdom setting. I just now finished Super Paper Mario for the first time and while I actually think it was a pretty decent game, I couldn't get over how alien the backgrounds felt with all the abstract shapes and random scribbles. The NPCs with their simple box shapes were off-putting as well. Even though I think SS is a huge step backwards, I have to admit the setting and areas were pretty awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Super Paper Mario was a good game in my opinion, but I admit not being set in the Mushroom Kingdom definitely put a lot of people off...

And I always thought TTYD sort of had a too much of an "original character!" vibe to it with two of your Party Members being original creations (although Flurrie may have retroactively become a Mario enemy with the addition of the Foo and Tyfoo enemies in NSMB/3D World), and sort of abandoning the idea of the original where pretty much all the Bosses except the last two were Bosses of classic foes. I just love how you had a Chapter that was just all about different Shy Guys messing things up.

I kept thinking "wow, there's a lot more partners in this game than TTYD" but I realize that TTYD had a comparable cast. It's only 8 to 7 (6 if you don't count the optional partner).

For some reason it just feels like a lot more in the original...Maybe they're spread out more in TTYD.

Watch Da Birdie

It's the pacing, probably.

In 64, each Chapter is fairly short, and you're getting a new Partner each Chapter except for the last two...

In TTYD, Chapters are longer, so it feels like Partners are more sparse, plus you get everyone required by Chapter 5 yet still have three more Chapters to go...

I think the cast of TTYD being mostly the same in function as 64 made it also feel like there's less.

I kept thinking "wow, there's a lot more partners in this game than TTYD" but I realize that TTYD had a comparable cast. It's only 8 to 7 (6 if you don't count the optional partner).

For some reason it just feels like a lot more in the original...Maybe they're spread out more in TTYD.
If howlongtobeat.com is any indication the average playthrough of TTYD is about 5-10 hours longer then Paper Mario, so that would make sense.

Putosaure

This filter is really annoying.

JlbS4DI.jpg

And the fact that the image is not dark on the emulator menu is even more frustrating...

Straxus

I got 255 coins left on CN and was thinking of purchasing this game.

Do I have to use the Wii for anything like code redemption/activation? Because I have never played a Wii. I think. Never used the store anyhow. Don't own any nun-chucks, either.

Pokemaniac

I got 255 coins left on CN and was thinking of purchasing this game.

Do I have to use the Wii for anything like code redemption/activation? Because I have never played a Wii. I think. Never used the store anyhow. Don't own any nun-chucks, either.

You'll need to redeem it on the Wii Shop Channel on a Wii or in Wii mode in Wii U. In order to play the Wii version of the game you'll need a Classic controller, or, if you're using an actual Wii that has GameCube ports, a GameCube controller.

Straxus

You'll need to redeem it on the Wii Shop Channel on a Wii or in Wii mode in Wii U. In order to play the Wii version of the game you'll need a Classic controller, or, if you're using an actual Wii that has GameCube ports, a GameCube controller.

Nah. Nevermind. Thanks for the help, Pokemaniac.

mstevens

Just played (and finished) this game for the first time. I had played Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but not this or the apparent GOAT TTYD. Really, really enjoyed this. I hope I find a way to play TTYD sometime in the near future.

Top Bottom