• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

jbug617

Banned
PS5 will probably be announced a few months after Scorpio releases...

Plus the domination of the PS4 allows Sony to try things like the Neo.

Shawn Layden says this is not going to cellphone model situation. I say in 3 years after Neo release they will announce PS5

SGRX

Seems like it would be a bad move if it delayed the launch by very much, or had a measurable increase in price.

jrcbandit

I doubt this would mean drastically altered specs, but they could very well be running the CPU and GPU at higher clock speeds than initially planned so it wont be as far behind as Scorpio.

I doubt this would mean drastically altered specs, but they could very well be running the CPU and GPU at higher clock speeds than initially planned so it wont be as far behind as Scorpio.

This is what I'm expecting if they do indeed up spec. Just up clock speeds a bit and maybe throw another 2 or so GB of RAM in there

onQ123

The rumors of a higher spec'ed Neo came before Scorpio was revealed .

Why would they react to Scorpio when in the end it's still PS4 games with better graphics . 4TF or 6TF it's still going to appeal to the same people.

Papacheeks

Banned
If there is little software that actually takes full advantage of the hardware then wtf does it matter? If people are just getting close to final kits now, how much work do you think is being done to make these Neo enabled versions that will be patched or whatever.
?

Same with scorpio and that's a ways out still. Unless we straight up see 4k games or something does it really matter at this point? What if Sony shows this thing off in September and shows like Uncharted 4 running on it, but at 60fps, with better AA or something?

Are people really going to go banana's at a uprezzed game that runs a little better? I don't see the reason to play arms race, if this thing is indeed slated for fall. Just go through with the plan you had, keep pumping out great games, and you seriously have nothing to worry about. By the time Scorpio comes out, your going to have your big games looking better, or just as good on OG PS4 that to me will make this arms race look pointless.

PS5 will probably be announced a few months after Scorpio releases...

Plus the domination of the PS4 allows Sony to try things like the Neo.

Are you sure you know what you typed here?

The PS5 will be announced around 12 months after the reveal of the Neo, really?

And I imagine the failure of the Xbox One allows Microsoft to try things like the Scorpio? ;)

JordanKZ

That's what I'm expecting too. I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves here...

sense

but I was told Sony wasn't at all concerned about Microsoft

lol i am sure there was a meeting to discuss their options now that scorpio was announced way too early to their surprise. I am sure it wasn't some wide spread panic of what to do and throwing all their existing plans.The point that sony doesn't need to be concerned is still true. now that scorpio is going higher they may be able to go a bit higher as well

I have a hard time believing it. Sony bulldozed the competition with the first and second Playstation machines, both of which had to contend with more powerful consoles around. But who knows?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The rumors of a higher spec'ed Neo came before Scorpio was revealed .

Why would they react to Scorpio when in the end it's still PS4 games with better graphics . 4TF or 6TF it's still going to appeal to the same people.

Lot of people buy Console to play third party games. So no, 4TF or 6TF will appeal to different people for different reasons.

Xenoflare

The only thing they may realistically do at this point is overclock. It won't give them much and will result in worse thermals and decibels.

Don't see why they would be worried as they'll have a year headstart. It's unlikely that Scorpio will change the overall picture by the time it will release no matter how powerful it will be.

The only option of really getting to the same level would be to reengineer and launch in the same time as Scorpio which seems like a waste of time and money. It's better to just bring the PS5 (or whatever they'll call it) closer.

Probably like how the XB1 had a last minute CPU overclock for the same reason.

The lack of concrete information is intriguing despite of the fact that on how much stuff this has been leaked.

A question, back when Andrew House confirmed Neo's existence, did he do it because it would be pointless to hide it anyways? I feel like it was like a "well since it's already out there, might as well admit it."

Guymelef

lol i am sure there was a meeting to discuss their options now that scorpio was announced way too early to their surprise. I am sure it wasn't some wide spread panic of what to do and throwing all their existing plans.

But different options discussion was in the table before Scorpio announcement according to previous rumors.

I have a hard time believing it. Sony bulldozed the competition with the first and second Playstation machines, both of which had to contend with more powerful consoles around. But who knows?

Considering they started pushing the PS4 as the most powerful console ever made, it seems some priorities have changed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Honestly if the final specs are better than the leak I don't know why anyone would care if it was Scorpio that pushed them into in or not. We'll get a better machine either way.

Quotient

I suspect Price not Power is going to determine both Scorpio and Neo's success.

If Sony can price the Neo and regular PS4 at significantly lower price than the Scorpio (at the time of its launch) then i suspect it will have another winner. Especially if the Scorpio (much like Neo) will be limited by their siblings.

I think expecting something like a different CPU or GPU is crazy talk, so I wouldn't even go there.

RAM increase and upped clocks make the most sense as they could be somewhat easily achieved while still giving a decent boost

Unknown?

In the end does it really matter? I think software support is more important than specs. And that's something Sony has on Microsoft.

Yup! Summer drought is real on Xbox One and has been every year it's been out! It didn't matter with the PS2 it doesn't matter much now either.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They should be. They should also be pushing back the launch to mid to late 2017.

I think expecting something like a different CPU or GPU is crazy talk, so I wouldn't even go there.

RAM increase and upped clocks make the most sense as they could be somewhat easily achieved while still giving a decent boost

How come they wouldnt have increased the clock speed in the first place if they can? Does it make the parts more expensive?

Griss

What's the difference? Scorpio will be able to do proper 4k gaming, Neo won't no matter the upclock.

Sony have painted themselves into a horrid corner here.

Well if the rumours are anything to go by regarding the reveal in September,we will possibly find out soon.Its sort of obvious they'd look at improving the specs

cchum

Eh...the entry level price point system is more important, but they would be fine with introducing a 5+ teraflop machine 9 months pre Microsoft.

Gitaroo

throw in cell processor and let PS4 games to use it and offer full PS3 backward compatibility. heheh right....

Quotient

What's the difference? Scorpio will be able to do proper 4k gaming, Neo won't no matter the upclock.

We have no idea if MS is going to provide those specs or at what price.

Kysen

The current CPU "upgrade" they have planned is a joke so they might as well redo the whole APU. It will be even more unbalanced than the current version.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Assuming Neo releases this year, I'm not sure they could bump up in a significant way. But you know what? If it doesn't affect the originally intended final price then any improvement is welcomed.

Hopefully this in turn means Microsoft uses the extra year to improve final Scorpio specs further as well.

Which...I guess will then in turn inspire Sony to go beast mode for PS5?

Oh god this is going to get crazy isn't it?

Theonik

Even at 6TF, neither system can do 4K effectively with current visuals. The gap is also only as wide as it was between X1 and PS4 only neither system will have huge bottlenecks this time. Or at least shouldn't.

Assuming Neo releases this year, I'm not sure they could bump up in a significant way. But you know what? If it doesn't affect the originally intended final price then any improvement is welcomed.

Hopefully this in turn means Microsoft uses the extra year to improve final Scorpio specs further as well.

Which...I guess will then in turn inspire Sony to go beast mode for PS5?

Oh god this is going to get crazy isn't it?

The war is changing.

So the September 7th event is real?

There are too many credible people saying its happening for it to be fake.

Top Bottom