• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAY2WIN: COD microtransactions keep getting worse - IW gives stat boosts to guns

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
This is severely disappointing. My only hope is that these practices come back to bite them (lower sales, losing player count more quickly, etc.) so that maybe they'll change their ways.

Probably won't happen :(

Are there any MP games now that don't have shitty, scummy, greedy F2P/Gambling mechanics?

Everyone who defends this shit deserves to get their wallets raped by these terrible business tactics.

We need to go back to buying a game which has a set amount of content and that's it. DLC is fine when it's add-ons and expansions, but not fucking bullshit.

Schlorgan

Are there any MP games now that don't have shitty, scummy, greedy F2P/Gambling mechanics?

CjTiSTnW0AAbb_-.jpg

713BeGNIS4L._SX522_.jpg

Demoskinos

RNGeezus loot boxes are terrible.
I still don't understand why so many people defended the practice in those Overwatch threads from way back.

Because in Overwatch at least you earn them at a decent clip and number two everything in them is only cosmetic and they do not effect game play.

Calmine

and TF2 is the best one

BF1 has battlepacks, though.

This TF2 deserves more love.

BF1 is also amazing. Battlepack are cosmetic only, they rotate mind you and they'll eventually let you buy them. The only things inside the packs weapons wise is the melee weapons. Not bother to me. As long as they don't lock new guns in them I'm fine.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Best impulse buy of the gen for me.

Me too, I saw the reviews of TF2 and then though "ok, let's do this".

Best impulse buy ever: if you want to avoid this P2W muck this shooter season, go out and join the TF2 army: it's a great place to work/play/shoot.

E92 M3

Unfortunately, Respawn has to compete with COD4 - their own game. Activision knew IW was shit.

IW is just a money grab and COD4 is the real game.

Everyone who defends this shit deserves to get their wallets raped by these terrible business tactics.

We need to go back to buying a game which has a set amount of content and that's it. DLC is fine when it's add-ons and expansions, but not fucking bullshit.

Titanfall 2 has no microtransactions. Can you not use the word rape like it's a fuckin joke?

inki

You get boosts of scrap for completing specific objectives, levels, etc. So it doesn't take AS long.

However yes, COD allows you to buy packs which could in turn contain scrap which you could then use to craft better weapons.

Bear in the mind the packs ALSO can drop those upper tier weapons.

This is the first time game play mechanic changing items have been introduced into CoD right?

You get boosts of scrap for completing specific objectives, levels, etc. So it doesn't take AS long.

However yes, COD allows you to buy packs which could in turn contain scrap which you could then use to craft better weapons.

Bear in the mind the packs ALSO can drop those upper tier weapons.

This is the first time game play mechanic changing items have been introduced into CoD right?

No, iirc there were exclusive weapons from crates in AW and Blops 3.

MrBlonde

First COD game I will not be getting day one, I have no problem with supply drops for cosmetic but the black ops 3 supply drops was the final straw for me. Pay for a chance at better weapons on top of the Season Pass, no thanks ill stick with TitanFall2 for now and just hope they release the COD4 remaster by itself for $20 down the road.

Advanced Warfare had stat boosts, but the boosted guns also had stat reductions. Black Ops 3 had new guns behind supply drops - these are new gameplay mechanics only if you get lucky from a drop.

IW gives blatantly better versions of existing guns.

Schlorgan

First COD game I will not be getting day one, I have no problem with supply drops for cosmetic but the black ops 3 supply drops was the final straw for me. Pay for a chance at better weapons on top of the Season Pass, no thanks ill stick with TitanFall2 for now and just hope they release the COD4 remaster by itself for $20 down the road.

Separate release is guaranteed,
for $50.

I thought this was a thing since AW started with the supply drops? Still sad stuff that its not limited to purely cosmetic items.

Yeah, Call of Duty has been doing stuff like this for years at this point. It's terrible, I'm not defending it in the slightest, but why so many on GAF are pretending this is a new low is inexplicable. If (GAF darling) Advanced Warfare didn't get heavily attacked for doing arguably worse than this back in 2014, I don't know why they expect Infinite Warfare to get hit now.

Yeah, Call of Duty has been doing stuff like this for years at this point. It's terrible, I'm not defending it in the slightest, but why so many on GAF are pretending this is a new low is inexplicable. If (GAF darling) Advanced Warfare didn't get heavily attacked for doing arguably worse than this back in 2014, I don't know why they expect Infinite Warfare to get hit now.

The weapons from those crates had tradeoffs with other stats, sans exclusive ones, this is blatantly offering you a way to get a better version than other players across the board. That's the definition of P2W.

The weapons from those crates had tradeoffs with other stats, sans exclusive ones, this is blatantly offering you a way to get a better version than other players across the board. That's the definition of P2W.

The trade-offs were often negligible, and you couldn't craft the weapons at all. (Loot box or nothing.) It was absolutely 100% pay-to-win.

Same with the exclusive guns in Black Ops 3, to my understanding.

Hell, hasn't Call of Duty been selling actual DLC guns for at least a couple iterations? I'm pretty sure they had that in Advanced Warfare. This is something EA has been doing in Battlefield (and Battlefront) for quite a few years now too, Naughty Dog has done it for at least a couple games, etc. The definition of pay-to-win.

Again, not defending any of this, I think it's gross, but I suspect elements of GAF are trying to push an anti-IW narrative that this is the new nadir and that's legitimately silly. I mean come on, you have people in this thread celebrating Battlefield 1 and that's already selling 20 (!) DLC-only guns. Pay-to-win is business as usual for shooters, that's why there isn't any real outrage from the media or whatever. Infinite Warfare is just part of the extremely popular and successful crowd.

The trade-offs were often negligible, and you couldn't craft the weapons at all. (Loot box or nothing.) It was absolutely 100% pay-to-win.

Same with the exclusive guns in Black Ops 3, to my understanding.

Hell, hasn't Call of Duty been selling actual DLC guns for at least a couple iterations? I'm pretty sure they had that in Advanced Warfare. This is something EA has been doing in Battlefield (and Battlefront) for quite a few years now too, Naughty Dog has done it for at least a couple games, etc. The definition of pay-to-win.

Again, not defending any of this, I think it's gross, but I suspect elements of GAF are trying to push an anti-IW narrative that this is the new nadir and that's legitimately silly. I mean come on, you have people in this thread celebrating Battlefield 1 and that's already selling 20 (!) DLC-only guns. Pay-to-win is business as usual for shooters, that's why there isn't any real outrage from the media or whatever. Infinite Warfare is just part of the extremely popular and successful crowd.

I don't agree with what BF1 is doing, either, which is why I haven't purchased it. Naughty Dog ended that with UC4, which is a step in the right direction so I purchased that.

I'm not trying to push any narrative, this is just probably the most scummy monetization I've seen in a competitive, AAA game so far. Yes, they let you craft them, but you get shit for scrap and would have to play for a week nonstop to get one weapon maxed out. On top of that, I'm sure they're going to add exclusive weapons to the drops again. At least with BF1 the season pass gets you all the new weapons.

I don't agree with what BF1 is doing, either, which is why I haven't purchased it. Naughty Dog ended that with UC4, which is a step in the right direction so I purchased that.

I'm not trying to push any narrative, this is just probably the most scummy monetization I've seen in a competitive, AAA game so far. Yes, they let you craft them, but you get shit for scrap and would have to play for a week nonstop to get one weapon maxed out. On top of that, I'm sure they're going to add exclusive weapons to the drops again. At least with BF1 the season pass gets you all the new weapons.
Is Uncharted 4 actually that different from this system? I admittedly haven't played it, but I've seen fans complain it would take tens of hours to unlock a random DLC gun. (Here's some random, quickly-found weak evidence.)

I don't believe IW crafting is nearly as bad as you (and a lot of other people, not intending to single you out) are suggesting. I'm sure it's bad, but the idea that it takes literally 40+ hours to save up for a single gun is undoubtedly fiction. If I'm wrong I'll eat crow, but again it sounds like part of the misleading Chicken Little narrative that has been building up for this game for many months now.

I guess I can sort of agree with you that the BF1 approach is better, but it's still pay-to-win garbage even if it might be slightly less psychologically evil. And I'm not totally convinced paid DLC is always better than loot boxes -- I picked up Battlefront for cheap a few months ago, was starting to get into multiplayer and noticed everybody was using some poison grenade which seemed vital to certain objective modes. I looked into how I could unlock the grenade myself only to see it was exclusively paid DLC. (Haven't touched the game since.) It's not an especially strong argument, but as others have said at least in Infinite Warfare you can just use one of the default guns to shoot people and it's going to work pretty well. In Battlefront there's a basic, fundamental gameplay mechanic locked behind a paywall.

I suppose we'll have to wait until IW has been out for a while to know for certain, but nothing I've personally seen suggests this is the worst of the pay-to-win mechanics that have been infesting popular, critically-acclaimed shooters for years now. I probably shouldn't even post so much about this, because it comes perilously close to defending something I think is gross. (I'm not even buying the damn game, at least until a deep sale, and I really want to play the campaign.) But I guess it really bugs me that so many other shooters have effectively gotten a pass from so many posters for doing stuff just as terrible as this.

joecanada

If anyone out there doesn't own TF2, as someone who has only played maybe 6 hours, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't get this, word of mouth will keep this game going for a long time.

have NEVER once dropped below 49ms ping in all my playtime yet, its fast paced and tight. (so if you are diehard bf fan I could see liking that game in a different way as I do appreciate bf for the tactical team play).

out of destiny , cod, rainbow six, bf, and others I've played this gen, this one has the best performance and fluidity. no issues with servers should be the first checkmark on every fps fans list. unless you're only there to mess around.

in short this game shits on every other fps this gen in terms of actual performance. and I say that as a big fan of some of the other franchises.

oh and its very fun. 9/10 from me. where only bfbc2 can compare.

This is the thing that will guarantee nothing of note will happen with the release: People will still buy it, and CoD will always have this bullshit going forward.

"I'm disgusted by this practice, but that's why I'm playing this game instead! Well, yeah, you only get that game by buying a more expensive version of the game I'm disgusted by, but still!"

If only people spoke with their dollars as much as their YouTube dislikes.

For real. It's like people are declaring how smart they are for falling into Activision's trap. $80 for a remaster. Jesus Christ.

Yup.

Nice username btw.

I thought this was a thing since AW? I didn't play BO3, but the crates in AW definitely reeked of P2W to me.
Isn't it getting microtransactions added later?
Nothing of the sort has been announced. It's just a rumor based on EA's track record. And if they do, they'll be purely cosmetic.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Now this is arguably the worst of all the microtransaction/DLC culprits. Not only do you have the random loot that encourages spending real money on stuff you MAY get, the stuff you can get gives you an advantage over other players.

Wowza.

finley83

Banned
This is just absurd. Give this franchise another couple of instalments before it gets trashed like Guitar Hero I guess.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I thought this was a thing since AW? I didn't play BO3, but the crates in AW definitely reeked of P2W to me.

As someone who played AW and a lot of Black Ops 3, I like IWs box loot system better. Just being able to guarantee getting certain stuff is such a relief compared to the endless wheels of AW and (especially) Black Ops 3. Hit prestige master in BO3 with maybe a quarter of the supply drop weapons, including the 20 odd melee skins.

And it seems like you might be able to get keys from playing Zombies too, which is nice. I like zombies but I felt like I was wasting time in Black Ops 3 when I wasn't getting keys, since that was the ONLY way to get anything new in he game.

At least AW had the decency to give you a drop every 2-3 games and let you have a new weapon if you got any of the weapon's variants. With BO3, it's close to 15 TDM games for a rare that gives you a 1 in several thousand chance to get a new weapon. Ugh...

Sorry. Just got really frustrated with BO3 by the end there. Started out loving that MP too.

dreamfall

Anyone know when reviews go live? Is anyone picking this up? Seems like Activision is doing everything they can to make sure I wait for a price drop.

Top Bottom