• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Also, any FFB settings for T300RS on R3E? I'm still struggling because it's feeling so vague for me. Can't post my settings right now but later in the day i can..

This RaceDepartment thread has what I think are the best settings for a T500. Ffb isn't RaceRoom's strength. It's hard getting something familiar out of it. Give some of those settings a shot, but there's an element of just having to live with it that sort of needs to be accepted.

Is anyone using the GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand and can tell me if it's worth buying?
Need a good and stable wheel stand for my G27 but I don't one with a bar between my legs like the Wheel Stand Pro.

I don't have experience with it, but ISR seemed like they liked it:

https://youtu.be/MitHpej9FF0

TJP

This RaceDepartment thread has what I think are the best settings for a T500. Ffb isn't RaceRoom's strength. It's hard getting something familiar out of it. Give some of those settings a shot, but there's an element of just having to live with it that sort of needs to be accepted.
I've also posted a link to the official forums too for the FFB settings.

Sad thing is, the solution is to use the real feel FFB as per Reiza do; alas Sector 3 refuse to use it.

TheBear

I'm trying to get my head around this iRating/safety rating stuff.
From what I can gather, I start with a 2.50 for oval and road racing. I just finished a rookie race in the Ford Spec Racer (?) and finished 10th overall. I had a terrible session but I kept the incidents under 17 (no crashes, just going off road). Anyway, my rating has now dropped to 2.49.

From what I gather, it needs to go up to 3.0 to obtain the next license. Did I just get penalised for finishing my first race? what the fuck

EDIT: Also I can't find any races with the MX5, which is pretty much the only car I want to drive at the moment. The videos said I should start with the Mx5. Am I missing something here?

I'm trying to get my head around this iRating/safety rating stuff.
From what I can gather, I start with a 2.50 for oval and road racing. I just finished a rookie race in the Ford Spec Racer (?) and finished 10th overall. I had a terrible session but I kept the incidents under 17 (no crashes, just going off road). Anyway, my rating has now dropped to 2.49.

From what I gather, it needs to go up to 3.0 to obtain the next license. Did I just get penalised for finishing my first race? what the fuck

EDIT: Also I can't find any races with the MX5, which is pretty much the only car I want to drive at the moment. The videos said I should start with the Mx5. Am I missing something here?
You're in Week 13 - they just deployed a new build. The schedule is full of random stuff. The new season starts on Tuesday - you'll find the Mazda Cup then.

And yes, if you get a high incident count, you'll drop SR. It is normal. :)

Makikou

Week 13 kind of legit sucks in iRacing, but i guess it's necessary because there's always some people who have technical issues with a new build that gets deployed.

Next tuesday, the normal series open again and there you will find the MX-5 Mazda Cup :)

Edit: Steve Civic on the iRacing forums advertises this page: http://www.edracing.com/edr/Rookies.php

Seems VERY useful for iRacing. Check it out.

Shaneus

Yep, an arguement with a guy I remember from ForzaCentral. What a way to get banned :(
God, I just knew who you were talking about when you said that. Can't believe antagonising isn't bannable either :/

Looking great! Honestly, might even be the best looking rally game coming out this year from what I can tell. Don't think we've seen anything from the new WRC though, and Dirt Rally, while great, is not an amazing looking title.

TJP

Good to see you still in these parts Shaneus!

God, I just knew who you were talking about when you said that. Can't believe antagonising isn't bannable either :/
One of the many oversights on NeoGAF. I haven't been to FC in about 4 years & with good reason. That said Badned is a top bloke as was Jamesways before he retired from being a moderator.

Looking great! Honestly, might even be the best looking rally game coming out this year from what I can tell. Don't think we've seen anything from the new WRC though, and Dirt Rally, while great, is not an amazing looking title.
It looks good but I don't know...it's Milestone and they've reamed me more times that I care to recall with shoddy releases over the years. Dirt Rally and the EGO engine may not be the wonderous graphical marvel it once was but it is a challenge to drive!

TheBear

How does iRacing and other sims handle tyre and brake temperatures?
Do you need to get the tyres into the temperature range before going for it or do they start the sessions with warm tyres? What about brakes? Do pads slip when cold or overheat after long sessions?

TJP

I already knew this as Mark disappered from the Sector 3 developers listing ages ago. He did great work on the Audi IMSA GTO

Mark Reynolds said:
I am also working with the guys on WRC5 (working on the vehicle dymanics and handling), Diego and myself worked with Simbin for many many years, myself even before Simbin was a company and only a mod team, so yes, Kylotonn have hired some focussed experience into the dev team for these projects.

TJP

R3E:
10565008_1011784698840147_8181438970746102258_n.jpg

Shaneus

One of the many oversights on NeoGAF. I haven't been to FC in about 4 years & with good reason. That said Badned is a top bloke as was Jamesways before he retired from being a moderator.
Yup. Mascot is good people. Had no idea Jamesways was an FC mod, but knew Badned was and he occasionally pops up in the Driveclub threads. Strange how he's less one-eyed than aforementioned antagonist.

It looks good but I don't know...it's Milestone and they've reamed me more times that I care to recall with shoddy releases over the years. Dirt Rally and the EGO engine may not be the wonderous graphical marvel it once was but it is a challenge to drive!
Yeah... twice bitten, thrice shy. I hope Milestone do a great job (and you can never have too many rally games) but you can't help but think this is just an excuse to make the most out of the WRC game they were making before they lost the license.

Zeth

I've been playing the hell out of ADAC and DTM 2014 this weekend. Trying to learn some of these tracks is quite a challenge. Great single player experience all around - coming from an Assetto Corsa aficionado, lol.

TJP

I've been playing the hell out of ADAC and DTM 2014 this weekend. Trying to learn some of these tracks is quite a challenge. Great single player experience all around - coming from an Assetto Corsa aficionado, lol.
Nothing wrong with R3E driving experience. The FFB needs work and few people like the pricing stucture or model but eveything else is VERY solid. Glad to read so many positive thoughts because it can be tough to read about R3E at times (mostly misguided crap from early on in it's Forza-lite phase)

Jamesways

Good to see you still in these parts Shaneus!

Yup. Mascot is good people. Had no idea Jamesways was an FC mod, but knew Badned was and he occasionally pops up in the Driveclub threads. Strange how he's less one-eyed than aforementioned antagonist.

Yeah... twice bitten, thrice shy. I hope Milestone do a great job (and you can never have too many rally games) but you can't help but think this is just an excuse to make the most out of the WRC game they were making before they lost the license.

*waves* Hello gents! I really do need to stop by FC sometime soon and say hello to the old faces there. I owe Blackmagix a great deal of thanks, he let me take an all expense paid trip to London for a Shift 2 press event/dev interview weekend in his stead.
Fun fact, even though he's the site owner and a fan of FM games, the years I was there he was a big PC sim racing guy too.

Badned is always awesome. And I'm a big fan of Mascot's posting on here. Sad he got banned over speculation and silliness as stated. Fm6 may just be the console racing Jesus people are waiting for, or it may not. The more racing offerings we get the better IMO, but the we certainly don't need the "my sim is better than yours" fanboyism that comes with them.

About Milestone, TJP can attest to my abusive love affair with them too. Still playing Ride, even though it's just ok, and dying to import MotoGP15 (when it actually gets a confirmed release date this month), so I'm on board with SLRally.
But you know what to expect, last gen graphical hotness, solid physics, and most likely, bugs galore as per the usual Milestone release. Still day one for me.

You're right though Shaneus, it's definitely the result of unused WRC assets.

Shaneus

Badned is always awesome. And I'm a big fan of Mascot's posting on here. Sad he got banned over speculation and silliness as stated. Fm6 may just be the console racing Jesus people are waiting for, or it may not. The more racing offerings we get the better IMO, but the we certainly don't need the "my sim is better than yours" fanboyism that comes with them.
I have a pretty fair idea that FM6 will be the title to sell me on the One. Right now it really only has FM5 (which was too similar to FM4 for the most part to justify) and Horizon 2. DC was literally the one game that sold me on PS4 and I have no regrets, so I'm confident that if FM6 is a solid second outing for the base franchise it'll easily justify a One.

How does iRacing and other sims handle tyre and brake temperatures?
Do you need to get the tyres into the temperature range before going for it or do they start the sessions with warm tyres? What about brakes? Do pads slip when cold or overheat after long sessions?
It varies by car I believe - some come out of virtual blankets, others don't. In many cases, it takes at least a few corners before the tyres start to work well, sometimes even a few laps. This also varies between sim, and varies between modes too. In PCARS for instance, there is a very clear cold tyre feeling in a normal session, but you won't get it on the time trial.

As for brakes, I was under the impression that the performance remains consistent throughout a session on iRacing (hopefully someone will correct me if that's wrong). isiMotor sims are certainly capable of detailed brake modelling - very enjoyable on the Power & Glory 3 mod.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... just go by what you feel :)

TJP

isiMotor sims are certainly capable of detailed brake modelling - very enjoyable on the Power & Glory 3 mod.
What ISI did with the ISIMotor is to me at least, astounding. I know there are, in theory, far more advanced simulations nowadays yet I'm always amazed at the various aspects of car components ISI have modelled in ISIMotor 2 and what modding teams have added to it over the years (such as turbo lag).

What ISI did with the ISIMotor is to me at least, astounding. I know there are, in theory, far more advanced simulations nowadays yet I'm always amazed at the various aspects of car components ISI have modelled in ISIMotor 2 and what modding teams have added to it over the years (such as turbo lag).
Do we know if ISI simulate brake-disks dissipating their heat into the tyres?
Reiza just posted on Twitter: Putting the finishing touches to our next track this week ;)
On the one hand I'm super excited. On the other, there are too many sims vying for my precious time. Did I really need to buy all of them? (yes)

I think the only piece of car/track content from their original list of things that were coming to GSC is classic Jacarepagua. The thing is though, the old version of the track, and it's final form (GSC, Truck) aren't really all that different. Perhaps they bagged the idea.

I'd rather something that fit better with OZV8 :)

I got given a hand me down computer but it only has a direct x9c ATI graphics card, I tried some of my old games - it runs rfactor at full whack, butter smooth with 45 cars on track so will it have any trouble running some of the latest sims, excluding AC and PCars as they only run on DX10+?

I don't care if I can only hot lap, I just want to try some of these car sims that I've been missing out on for all these years. It has 8GB ram / Intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz

Atrophis

Just picked up Dream Pack 1 and Euro Trucksim 2 + East expansion.

Downloaded tons of GSCE mods.

How do I hold all this racing (trucking) goodness?

Zeth

Just picked up Dream Pack 1 and Euro Trucksim 2 + East expansion.

Downloaded tons of GSCE mods.

How do I hold all this racing (trucking) goodness?

Oh that reminds me- any suggestions for GSC mods? I have CART Extreme. How are 911 Cup/ Carrera cup?

Also loading up RF2 for my first time - the last of the major sims I've yet to check out.

TheBear

AC is some janky shit. Feels pretty rough around the edges.
Turned all the settings way up and still doesn't look that impressive (compared to say RRE)

What's the best way to get the most out of this game?

TJP

AC is some janky shit. Feels pretty rough around the edges.
It's what I'd call unfinished.

Turned all the settings way up and still doesn't look that impressive (compared to say RRE)

What's the best way to get the most out of this game?
Turning every setting up to 11 in AC isn't always the best thing to do as many of the graphical features work in an arse-about-face way. For example, anisotropic filtering (AF) is usually set to 16 times by default in the majority of PC games and is done so without a performance hit. AF kills overall performance in AC; it is suggested to start with x2 and end at about 8x AF.

A very good guide about all aspects of AC can be found on SimHQ Motorsports:

http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/

http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-and-tips-2/

TheBear

It's what I'd call unfinished.

Turning every setting up to 11 in AC isn't always the best thing to do as many of the graphical features work in an arse-about-face way. For example, anisotropic filtering (AF) is usually set to 16 times by default in the majority of PC games and is done so without a performance hit. AF kills overall performance in AC; it is suggested to start with x2 and end at about 8x AF.

A very good guide about all aspects of AC can be found on SimHQ Motorsports:

http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/

http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-and-tips-2/

Thanks for this. I really don't enjoy 'unfinished' games. I'd prefer to come back to it when it's a complete package with all the bugs ironed out. Are Kunos still updating it regularly?

Also, It's not so much performance but picture quality. Everything looks a bit washed out. Even iRacing looks a lot crisper. I'll muck around with it but this might be my first Steam refund.

How does PCars compare in terms of polish?

TJP

Thanks for this. I really don't enjoy 'unfinished' games. I'd prefer to come back to it when it's a complete package with all the bugs ironed out. Are Kunos still updating it regularly?
Kunos and speedy updates don't really compute. I don't know what Kunos have planned in the future for Assetto Corsa apart from car DLC; the letter to Kunos from Race Department pretty much nailed what Kunos need to do from a community standpoint. You may be waiting a while for a 'complete' exerience.

Also, It's not so much performance but picture quality. Everything looks a bit washed out. Even iRacing looks a lot crisper. I'll muck around with it but this might be my first Steam refund.
iRacing has a wonderfully natural look, doesn't it ;) There is a brightness setting you can fettle along with filter effects that can help or detract with AC's overall appearance. I'm sure the links I supplied have detailed info on these. I use the settings from one of the dev's found on the AC forums which turns off all the graphical enhancements/effects.

Edit - here are the details from SimHQ Motorsport:

Enable Post Processing Effects - Toggles the High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting / Post Processing and gives access to the controls listed underneath. Simplistically speaking, enabling this effect increases the ratio of light-to-dark to make colors more realistic. The side effect is that it can sometimes make things looks washed-out or over-saturated in some situations. When it looks good it looks really good. When it looks bad you will wish you turned it off. It does have a performance hit so try it both ways and see what you think. Thankfully we now have control over several post processing components to tweak things further.
How does PCars compare in terms of polish?
Hmm. Can of worms time! I'm sure people from both sides of the fence will chime in here ;)

pCARS as elements missing from AC such as full weather, a 24 hour cycle, AI that are less braindead than AC and a more robust career mode. It is more feature complete than AC however PCars has its share of bugs, glitches and assorted issues that are well documented on the PCars forums and various other websites.

If you want a 'complete' sim experience (save for weather), I'd suggest Stock Car Extreme if you don't already own it.

Stock Car Extreme - $22.49 USD 25% discount
There was a survey of sim racer last year that showed Stock Car Extreme was only owned by 30% of the 1000+ respondents. A recent poll on Reddit had around the same %, but from a sample size of around 250 I think.

If you're reading this and part of the 70% of non-owners, I implore you to purchase Stock Car Extreme. It's phenomenal value, even at full price.

Shaneus

There was a survey of sim racer last year that showed Stock Car Extreme was only owned by 30% of the 1000+ respondents. A recent poll on Reddit had around the same %, but from a sample size of around 250 I think.

If you're reading this and part of the 70% of non-owners, I implore you to purchase Stock Car Extreme. It's phenomenal value, even at full price.
That's crazy. I wouldn't have even thought people who could afford to play sims (ergo, afford sim rigs) would skimp on actually paying for sims. Unless all their money goes towards iRacing and RRE and somehow that justifies it.

Holy hell, that's just sad. Especially considering how great a dev they are and the support they provide.

Top Bottom