• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Mascot

That's crazy. I wouldn't have even thought people who could afford to play sims (ergo, afford sim rigs) would skimp on actually paying for sims. Unless all their money goes towards iRacing and RRE and somehow that justifies it.

Holy hell, that's just sad. Especially considering how great a dev they are and the support they provide.

It's weird, and I know it's stupid, but... the name really puts me off.

How fucking shallow am I?

TJP

That's crazy. I wouldn't have even thought people who could afford to play sims (ergo, afford sim rigs) would skimp on actually paying for sims. Unless all their money goes towards iRacing and RRE and somehow that justifies it.

Holy hell, that's just sad. Especially considering how great a dev they are and the support they provide.
The amount of times I've read GSC-E is nothing more than an rFactor mod when it's so removed from being just a mod. So few want to even try something new that is based on isiMotor 2 and I don't understand why. The underpinnings are old but sublime in the right hands. It's fair to state GSC-E isn't a looker when directly compared to AC, PCars or R3E but the physics, racing & FFB sure are. As a plus GSC-E runs on pretty ancient hardware so there is no excuse not to at least try it.

It's weird, and I know it's stupid, but... the name really puts me off. How fucking shallow am I?
The name is stupid to someone outside Brazil but it's basically a V8 touring car simulation with a shitload of other cars (lot's of F1 cars) as you can see here: http://game-stockcar.com.br/?lang=en#info There isn't a dud car in GSC-E as far as I can tell...not that I've driven an F1 car ;) GSC-E should have been called Brazilian V8 Supercars/Touring cars for people outside of Brasil as I think the name scares the unwilling off. This reminds me, we are getting Aussie V8's very soon; physics & sound by Reiza and models from the team fronting the cash for Reiza to make the cars. Hopefully a few Aussie tracks arrrive too! Just another layer of awesome to an already fanastic racing sim.

@ Mascot - If you enjoy GTR 2 and the Power and Glory mod, you'll love GSC-E. Why you are choosing to miss out on something excellent because of the name baffles me.

waters10

Neo Member

I should be ashamed ... I'm from Brazil. I own Assetto Corsa and pCARS (on PS4), but I've never owned a Reiza game ... It's mostly about finding the time to play all these games! I got Assetto Corsa because of its Oculus support and I got pCARS to play multiplayer with friends.

One thing that makes me a bit uncertain about Reiza games is that it's based off rfactor 1. A game that I could never get into. Is this something I should overlook? Also, how is that AI? I hate the AI in AC and I like the AI in pCARS, but I'd like something in between the 2. AI that is aggressive, but not suicidal.

I should buy it just to support one of the only Brazilian studio out there.

DD

I was waiting for the Steam sale to grab it (I'm a loser in life, don't judge me) but now I don't have a wheel anymore, so I don't know if it's worth to buy it to play with an Xbox pad. =/

I should be ashamed ... I'm from Brazil. I own Assetto Corsa and pCARS (on PS4), but I've never owned a Reiza game ... It's mostly about finding the time to play all these games! I got Assetto Corsa because of its Oculus support and I got pCARS to play multiplayer with friends.

One thing that makes me a bit uncertain about Reiza games is that it's based off rfactor 1. A game that I could never get into. Is this something I should overlook? Also, how is that AI? I hate the AI in AC and I like the AI in pCARS, but I'd like something in between the 2. AI that is aggressive, but not suicidal.

The IA is top notch. Why don't you try the demo? http://game-stockcar.com.br/downloads/

Also, if you wanna try something from Reiza without spending a dime, try the Copa Petrobras de Marcas: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359800/

Watevaman

I have a "rig" (T500+Playseat) but only own AC and some older sims at the moment, but my excuse is time. I didn't have the time to play that much over the past few years. Now that I have more time I will likely pick up more stuff. It is weird that people perfectly capable of playing great sims would choose to avoid one.

On that note, I finally picked up the Dream Pack 1 stuff. Can't wait to try out the Nordschleife.

Mascot

@ Mascot - If you enjoy GTR 2 and the Power and Glory mod, you'll love GSC-E. Why you are choosing to miss out on something excellent because of the name baffles me.

He hee..! I'm not choosing to miss out on it as such, I just haven't actively bought it (and not really because of the silly name that gives me NASCAR nightmares :p).

GTR2/PnG (and to a lesser extent, AC) was keeping me more than busy through my creaky old laptop, then pCARS launched and I bought a PS4 for it.

When I finally (finally!) build a gaming PC I will no doubt try GSC. I've heard nothing but good things about it (apart from its silly name, of course).

TJP

The fact it's based off rFactor is a blessing and a curse. The curse is the graphics aren't cutting edge - okay to fair compared to what you've got but the rest of the sim is up with the best available on PC. Watch some YouTube reviews (e.g. Betta Lines, Empty Box, Inside Sim Racing, The SimPit etc) and you'll see that the 92% community rating isn't a fluke. SCE is not perfect by any means but it's a very damn good sim.

The AI is very rFactor - very solid but not without it's own set of flaws (a point which Empty Box covers). It'll give you a decent race without too much crazy contact etc. The AI in AC is brain dead and the PCars is better than AC's but a way behind Reiza's sim, R3E and rF2.

As for supporting Reiza, do it. They've been the most generous developer I've seen apart from CD Projekt RED. All of the extra content added to GSC-E has been completely free. Reiza deserve every cent they can get.

Seanspeed

Banned
There was a survey of sim racer last year that showed Stock Car Extreme was only owned by 30% of the 1000+ respondents. A recent poll on Reddit had around the same %, but from a sample size of around 250 I think.

If you're reading this and part of the 70% of non-owners, I implore you to purchase Stock Car Extreme. It's phenomenal value, even at full price.
Is that really small in proportion to other sim racers?

There's quite a few out there, so I imagine at some point, many people just wont desire having 10 different sim racers in their library.

Mascot

There's quite a few out there, so I imagine at some point, many people just wont desire having 10 different sim racers in their library.

That's kind of my philosophy at the moment. I'd rather be balls-deep in a couple of them than merely scratching the surface of several.

IIRC (sadly I can't find the link), from the 1000+ survey from last year:

AC was 90%+
GTR2 65+
rFactor 60ish
rFactor2 45ish
pCars 35ish
SCE 30ish

Obviously this was before pCars was publicly released and before SCE was available on Steam.

The more recent survey from a smaller sample size can be found here. Remember, it's only around 300 people this time, so perhaps not very representative.

waters10

Neo Member
The IA is top notch. Why don't you try the demo? http://game-stockcar.com.br/downloads/

Also, if you wanna try something from Reiza without spending a dime, try the Copa Petrobras de Marcas: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359800/
I didn't know there was a demo out there. Cool, thanks!

The fact it's based off rFactor is a blessing and a curse. The curse is the graphics aren't cutting edge - okay to fair compared to what you've got but the rest of the sim is up with the best available on PC. Watch some YouTube reviews (e.g. Betta Lines, Empty Box, Inside Sim Racing, The SimPit etc) and you'll see that the 92% community rating isn't a fluke. SCE is not perfect by any means but it's a very damn good sim.

The AI is very rFactor - very solid but not without it's own set of flaws (a point which Empty Box covers). It'll give you a decent race without too much crazy contact etc. The AI in AC is brain dead and the PCars is better than AC's but a way behind Reiza's sim, R3E and rF2.

As for supporting Reiza, do it. They've been the most generous developer I've seen apart from CD Projekt RED. All of the extra content added to GSC-E has been completely free. Reiza deserve every cent they can get.
Yeah, I'll try to watch some reviews online at lunch time. Good to hear the AI is above AC and pCARS. That would be a good reason to get it!

Watevaman

Sorry to post about this again, but what car do you guys think I should run on the Nord in AC for my first shakedown? Any of the DLC cars feel particularly awesome on it?

Ark

You guys want to know what bad luck is?

Qualifying 13th for a race, your first lap being a 1.50:666, and then disconnecting half-way through the race.

IIRC (sadly I can't find the link), from the 1000+ survey from last year:

AC was 90%+
GTR2 65+
rFactor 60ish
rFactor2 45ish
pCars 35ish
SCE 30ish

Obviously this was before pCars was publicly released and before SCE was available on Steam.

The more recent survey from a smaller sample size can be found here. Remember, it's only around 300 people this time, so perhaps not very representative.

I'd love to find the source of the first set of numbers, but the second set is fascinating.

Does the rising tide (AC) float all boats, or is it just a black hole? I bet if you gave this survey two years ago (pre-AC) the percentages would be way up. What skews it is all the people who came to the party with AC.

I'm not knocking that. That's great, and very important for sim racing. I think we'll need more time to see all how much the AC and pCARS folks spend money elsewhere.

TJP

I wish I could recall. It was somewhere neutral though, and not on any of the developers' forums.
Reddit was mentioned as the source of data on the rFactor 2 forums - I've no idea if that's true.

A semi-sim is featured in the Steam sales - Grid: Autosport for $9.99 USD (75% discount) and the various DLC is 60% off.

TheBear

Well shit I was about to get a refund on AC and pick up Stock Car Extreme but now I'm having second thoughts.

Actually fuck it I want the V8 Supercar stuff more. Any idea when that stuff is coming out?

TJP

Well shit I was about to get a refund on AC and pick up Stock Car Extreme but now I'm having second thoughts.

Actually fuck it I want the V8 Supercar stuff more. Any idea when that stuff is coming out?
You can read about the project here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ozv8-crowd-fund-project.103435/ Edit: renders of cars here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ozv8-crowd-fund-project.103435/page-4#post-2016354

The mod is progressing slowly as the people behind it want their mod to be as good as anything Reiza have made.

TheBear

Yeah it looks amazing! Didn't see a targeted release date though. Just wondering if I should hold out til the end of the Steam sale before I pick it up. fingers crossed it drops again

Shaneus

A semi-sim is featured in the Steam sales - Grid: Autosport for $9.99 USD (75% discount) and the various DLC is 60% off.
Hm... I don't mind the look of Autosport, but $10 is still a little too much for me. Not that I'm being the typical tightwad, but I don't think I'd get it for much more than $5.

You can read about the project here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ozv8-crowd-fund-project.103435/ Edit: renders of cars here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ozv8-crowd-fund-project.103435/page-4#post-2016354

The mod is progressing slowly as the people behind it want their mod to be as good as anything Reiza have made.
That looks insane right now. I wonder what Reiza themselves could be working on where the sounds and physics are the same as what the OZV8 guys are doing? Are there any Australian V8s running in any other series overseas?

TheBear

Hm... I don't mind the look of Autosport, but $10 is still a little too much for me. Not that I'm being the typical tightwad, but I don't think I'd get it for much more than $5.

FWIW, Autosport is the most fun I've had in a racing game since V8 Supercars/TOCA 2, and is pretty much a love letter to those games. $10 is a steal.

TJP

FWIW, Autosport is the most fun I've had in a racing game since V8 Supercars/TOCA 2, and is pretty much a love letter to those games. $10 is a steal.
Add me to the list that enjoy Autosport. It's the best CM game in quite a while; only Dirt Rally is better from CM. Plus there wasn't a list of glitches, bugs and other fuckups we're used to seeing in their F1 games.

That looks insane right now. I wonder what Reiza themselves could be working on where the sounds and physics are the same as what the OZV8 guys are doing? Are there any Australian V8s running in any other series overseas?
Reiza are working on the sounds, physics and FFB. The car models are being completed elsewhere and they've been several businesses jump on board as well as private funders so we all get the mod for free.

Reiza accidently added the realfeel settings in the latest patch from what I remember ;)

This is coming to another sim..
GIBSON_GTR_1400.jpg

LeBoef

its time... when playing iracing, i just do training sessions from tuesday until friday evening. races from friday evening until sunday. that is only if i am at home over the weekend and find the times mid week.
dont know how to find the time for more racing games, especialy if i want to play sometimes other stuff like nhl for fun.

Mascot

Do you like playing unfinished games?

Unfinished, unpolished and baffling in a few areas, yet still the biggest thrills and most fun I've ever had in a racing game. Last night's MP lobby with a big bunch of like-minded racers was pretty damn epic.

saladine1

Unfinished, unpolished and baffling in a few areas, yet still the biggest thrills and most fun I've ever had in a racing game. Last night's MP lobby with a big bunch of like-minded racers was pretty damn epic.

It has an amazing foundation, bugs,shit and all.
Cars 2 will be epic!

TheBear

Picked up a T300 GTE, Rennsport Wheel stand and PCars today.

incredible difference coming from my shitty old Driving Force Pro. And PCars looks amazing!

Been playing Macau on R3E, always a great challenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSLEuOoeMs

I've really enjoyed the couple of races I did on Macau. Yes, the hairpin is problematic for the AI, but past lap 1 it's not too bad. If I recall correctly, Race07 went the other direction, and just brought them through at a snail's pace.

From a player perspective, we could really use proper support for triples there!

Speaking of Race07, the new WTCC/Macau combo really underlines the progress they've made with R3E to get it back to SimBin levels of respectability.

Watevaman

I have a love/hate relationship with Macau. On one hand, it's probably one of the most fun street circuits in the world with how tight it is and the complexity of the circuit. On the other hand, I always end up in a wall somewhere, forcing me to either limp back to the pits or take a DNF. Maybe I'll pick it up one day in the future for R3E along with the WTCC content.

DD

This must be the 15th time I'm installing Race Room on my computer because you guys keep talking about it, and I know that by tomorrow I'll be uninstalling again in disappointment.

The conversion from Dollars to Brazilian Reais doesn't help. Even with discounts, I still find their stuff expensive. I've spent some money on it in the past, but no more. But hell, you guys keep talking about it, so here I am installing it again... -.-'

Whatever you do, just don't spin :)

tumblr_m3mt9fvktL1rnaz59o1_500.gif

It can't be worse than Monte Carlo in Dirt Rally... ;(

This must be the 15th time I'm installing Race Room on my computer because you guys keep talking about it, and I know that by tomorrow I'll be uninstalling again in disappointment.

The conversion from Dollars to Brazilian Reais doesn't help. Even with discounts, I still find their stuff expensive. I've spent some money on it in the past, but no more. But hell, you guys keep talking about it, so here I am installing it again... -.-'

If you want a fresh look at it using the latest content, download the GT Masters demo.

Top Bottom