• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

Grief.exe

http://pcsx2.net/253-pcsx2-1-2-0-released.html

Perfect timing, I just picked up a considerable amount of PS2 games at Gamestop when they introduced their 75% off sales for the platform.

t has been a year and a half since our first major release and as promised we decided PCSX2 has progressed enough for yet another stable release. Needless to say, we have been continuing our hard work since then to further improve the emulator, adding new features and fixing more bugs.

As I'm sure many of you have been following the SVN revisions and have noticed the changes we have made in this time and many of you even assisted in finding problems for us to fix, so a big thank you to all those who helped out!

One big change in this release is the integration of the wide screen patches made by the community for the community numbering nearly 1200 games patched to support proper 16:9 aspect ratio. A huge thanks to everyone who has contributed for this and keep up the great job Smile

Here are a rundown of the biggest changes in this release:

Windows

Core:

microVU fixes for Dreamworks games, later Tony Hawks games, Evil Dead and others
Fixes to New GIF unit to solve regressions
microVU bugs fixed (affecting Extreme-G Racing and others)
CDVD fixes (Impossible Mission now boots)
Path 3 arbitration and timing refinements
MFIFO fixes for DDR games
Huge DMAC bug fix solving most of the problematic videos. (Baldurs Gate 2, Katamari Damacy and more)
Memory card support improved in many games, now supports PSX memory cards also Multitap support improved greatly
Many game fixes for COP2 problems inherent with emulation. (Ace Combat, Forbidden Siren and others)
VIF Unpack optimizations
VU Delays added to fix the graphics of Snowblind engine games (Champions of Norrath, Baldurs Gate 2)
Various other game specific fixes in GameDB
NVM file creation (if one doesn't exist) now fills in iLink ident. (Age of Empires 2)

SPU2-X:

Improved DMA system
Fixes to reverb
Improved time-stretcher recovery on extreme speed changes.
Portaudio (providing WASAPI in Windows, ALSA/+OSS in Linux) now supported and the default output module. Latencies with this mode are lower than other modules

GSdx:

Improved adapter selection for detecting of videocards
CLUT (Color LookUp Table) fixes for games such as Disney Golf
Texture Offset options added to help improve upscaling artifacts
OpenGL mode added (Experimental currently)
Various CRC hacks
Hack for NVIDIA cards, solves problems with stretching on drivers above 320.18
New shader resources! Complete PCSX2 FX Revised 2.0 by Asmodean has been integrated

DEV9ghzdrk:

Improved support for online play and make the users MAC address unique.

Linux

Core:

Support for external patch (pnach) files

OnePad changes:

Bugfixes for multiple button presses
Bugfixed memory leaks

ZZogl:

Added support for MESA drivers
Bump OpenGL requirement to 3.0 with floating texture
Various OpenGL fixes

SPU2-X:

Added SDL Backend
The PCSX2 executable has been built and tested with PGO optimizations enabled so it will be an extra 10% faster over regular SVN builds.

We hope you enjoy this release and have fun playing your games on it!

Here's to the future of PCSX2!

Advice

If anyone cares for it. PCSX2 devs also have experimental AF for download somewhere on their forums. If anyone wants AF.

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-GSdx?pid=344348#pid344348
Dolphin_Butter
Dolphin_Butter

System -----> Enable Widescreen patches.

Also, change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the emulation settings.

Screenshots

Rogue Galaxy
pcsx2-r58642014-02-02u5pzs.png

Persona4
p4-15eu88.jpg

Valkyria Profile 2
ValkCS-16.jpg

ValkCS-14.jpg

Final Fantasy XII
pcsx2-r58752014-02-23kkawt.png

Metal Gear Solid 2
pcsx2-r58642014-02-03eckko.png

DQVIII
ibb7ZC52zalfoS.png

I'm glad to see a new release, it's just a shame that 2 of their biggest devs have left the project over the last couple years (Cottonvibes and Jake) as they were MONSTERS in how much they managed to do and in seemingly shorty periods of time.

darylbaxter

Neo Member
I am hoping for a really great Mac port of PCSX 2.
The strides that this emulator has gone through is so good, especially in the last few years.

Grief.exe

I am hoping for a really great Mac port of PCSX 2.
The strides that this emulator has gone through is so good, especially in the last few years.

Have they said anything about a Mac or Linux port in the past?

I'm actually ripping Rogue Galaxy right now. It's dual layer and the drive reads it just fine.

I was trying to find Rogue Galaxy at Gamestop, such a rare game at this point. Art style would hold up well today.

If I'm not mistaking, it's possible. I don't know if it depends of your disk drive or not.

It doesn't, PS2 games are just standard DVDs. There isn't any reason why a regular drive couldn't read them.

That said, the BEST solution is to make your DVDs .img/iso/etc files and run them from your hard drive. PC DVD drives don't function the same way as the PS2 drive, and thus playing from drive itself can lead to all sorts of oddities and slow downs.

Have they said anything about a Mac or Linux port in the past?

Linux port is version current, but the graphics plugin is still way behind windows... that was the reason for the push to OpenGL in the last year and a half or so. Mac port just doesn't have a full time person working on it.

chadboban

Sweet! I already got decent performance on my laptop from the older builds. Hope this improves things further :)

Will test it out with my Rachet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal later today.

Be sure to pay attention to those widescreen hacks, too. A lot of games have codes that make them proper widescreen. In fact, cheat devices on PS2 can do it too for some games. :D

GavinUK86

i wonder if yakuza will now work without it looking like someone rubbed their greasy fingers over the screen. playable, but has alot of visual issues.

Tecl0n

AVG bringing the money.

It was already quite perfect, the only big games that had troubles, if my memory serves, were the Ace Combat series that had a faulty hit detection. DmC1 a graphical glitch, and MGS3.

Dizzy-4U

I was trying to find Rogue Galaxy at Gamestop, such a rare game at this point. Art style would hold up well today.
Oh, really? I bought it a couple of months ago from mercadolibre (kinda like the ebay for South America).

I'm gonna give it a go, I heard it's pretty long.

gngf123

Good stuff. There's still a couple of PS2 games I need to beat.

It's a shame I couldn't get in on that 75% off sale, maybe we will get something like that over here at some point.

Grief.exe

It doesn't, PS2 games are just standard DVDs. There isn't any reason why a regular drive couldn't read them.

That said, the BEST solution is to make your DVDs .img/iso/etc files and run them from your hard drive. PC DVD drives don't function the same way as the PS2 drive, and thus playing from drive itself can lead to all sorts of oddities and slow downs.

This is good advice.

AVG bringing the money.

I haven't played around with it yet. Is there anyway to avoid that?

What type of video hardware is needed for this? I haven't looked at this stuff since ~2009. Are we at the point where integrated intel can handle PS2?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Ace Combat 5 being played from DVD drive
ofOxNZil.jpg

Lookin' Good!

一 大きい change in this release is the integration of the wide screen patches made by the community for the community numbering nearly 1200 games patched to support proper 16:9 aspect ratio. A huge thanks to everyone who has contributed for this and keep 上 the 大した job
Hell. Yes.

rjc571

Banned
Thread title is misleading because it implies that the emulator can be used to increase the framerate of games beyond what they run at on actual hardware, but in most cases it can't actually do this.

Fred-87

I have no idea how this works...

'DEV9ghzdrk:

Improved support for online play and make the users MAC address unique.'

Does this mean i can play socom 1 or 2 on this one online? I guess not since an emulator cant provide servers, but yeah

Ogawa-san

Portaudio (providing WASAPI in Windows, ALSA/+OSS in Linux) now supported and the default output module. Latencies with this mode are lower than other modules
Tested a few games here, imperceptible latency and no audio issues.

Not that I recall having big issues before (unlike Dolphin...), but it's pretty amazing.

GavinUK86

Nope. Yakuza is still the same. Issues with the shadowing and lighting still.

PCKzbcr.png

Anyone know a work around for this? Apart from using software mode?

Moobabe

What's the best programme for ripping PS2 games? It might save me plugging my PS2 back in to play Rogue Galaxy

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Switch to software rendering.
NJ9xbrBl.jpg

Well it fixed that and I was able to lock on to targets...haven't played this game in a LONG time. Any other games that usually have problems?

I have a question for yall.

Which would run better? dmc3s pc port, or the emulated pcsx2 version? just assume its running on a decent pc. Without any of the community patches that exist for dmc3s pc port that supposedly improve performance.

jediyoshi

Well it fixed that and I was able to lock on to targets...haven't played this game in a LONG time. Any other games that usually have problems?

That specific issue pops up in many Namco games (Tekken, Soulcalibur, etc). An actual solution is to either play it natively or set it to a custom resolution where both width and height are the same, like 1000x1000.

inner-G

Banned
Ripping FFXII right nor to try it out, would try X but it ran awesome on the last version anyway at 1080/60

inner-G

Banned
That specific issue pops up in many Namco games (Tekken, Soulcalibur, etc). An actual solution is to either play it natively or set it to a custom resolution where both width and height are the same, like 1000x1000.
Can you render out at that res but still output in the correct ratio?

I have no idea how this works...

'DEV9ghzdrk:

Improved support for online play and make the users MAC address unique.'

Does this mean i can play socom 1 or 2 on this one online? I guess not since an emulator cant provide servers, but yeah

I would die if someone figured out a way to host a Socom 2 online server.

Pudge

I had just set this up on my PC to play some stuff and then I see this! And I didn't even know you could play games from your CD drive! Excellent!

Top Bottom