• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennello: "People just weren't ready for all digital Xbox One". Post #657 = ether.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It was a communnication failure.

People weren't ready.

God damnit, I want this guy's job! Cause massive consumer uproar, taint your product's image, and then you can blame the customers!

It's bloody brilliant.

We weren't ready to make the leap right away?

No, ill never give up lending games to friends and physical sales willingly. Ever.
*At current game prices.* And that was the problem. They were taking away features and keeping the prices the same. We don't bitch about not being able to share phone apps or Steam games because the prices are so much better in both cases.

Revolutions rarely ever happen. Things happen gradually. Evolution.

There is no way they can get rid of the disc in one fell swoop. Just gradually do it by making digital sales more attractive.

Look at the PC game market . . . the retail disc market still exists but it has largely been wiped out by Steam, GOG, Origin, Amazon digital, etc. The same thing will happen for consoles. When digital is done well, people will accept it as Steam has shown.

I'll never be ready for it, and as long as there is even a shred of evidence to suggest that you guys will move forward with this I will never buy an Xbox One.

JDSN

Banned
Fuck your future, they continuing this narrative for months after the backtrack is petulant and only tells me that they look for ways to implement it in the not-so-far future.

Edit: Oh, and if they want to make a case for it then do it, quit bothering us with that "Awww, you missed this vaguely commented feature that will change everything cos reasons" narrative that idiots like Arthur Gies and Ben Kuchera were so willing to propagate.

You're right and they certainly weren't ready for the fucked up in-between you guys decided to go with.

Digital is one thing. Daily online checks to determine whether you can play the game you bought or not, is another.

rjinaz

It may be the future, heck I'm guessing it is. But that will be my exit from gaming. Or maybe I'll just go Nintendo only because I doubt they will be adopting these policies next generation.

Ein Bear

And this is why I'm not buying an Xbox One.

I don't believe for a second that Microsoft wont try and slowly patch all that shit back in over the next couple of years.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Anyone shocked by this is beyond naive. I like the games, but the rationale behind their DRM approach is beyond repugnant.

I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do,

I think the question I have is were they really prepared to make a compelling case for the move? Obviously, his point that people weren't ready is correct, but I'm not convinced that they were truly prepared to really pull out all the stops in trying to win people over in as much as they just expected people to accept it. There tended to be a lot of comparisons to other platforms/media that have gone mostly (if not completely) digital, but there didn't seem to be any understanding of how long that process was and what it took to get there. When they were scrambling to win people over with ideas like the Family Sharing plan, it was pretty clear that they really didn't have their message completely fleshed out.

Delryk

Just like when "tablets" were never going to be the future in 1997. MS ahead of time by a decade (again) and isnt PRing it properly...

Blaming the consumers once more, what's wrong with choice Albert huh? Right now I can go all digital if I want, half digital or none at all. You guys were trying to force something and that's not the way to do it. I personally would rather have choice then have you force feed me what I can and can't do.

hodgy100

Then go ahead an explain it instead of being condescending and just telling us we aren't ready.

no one is flying off the handle anymore because its not gonna happen, so now we have done panicking we can have that rational conversation.

I was ready.

For those with shit internet connections who weren't.

Tough shit. Throw your clogs (and prams) into the machine.
I'll be sure to tell that to all the kids at my old high school who buy game consoles using money from their part time jobs but whose parents won't let them get the house a broadband internet connection. :) (That school currently has a 90% free/reduced lunch rate)

Megatron

I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

LOL. You had plenty of chances for rational conversation, you just weren't interested in what we had to say. We understood your message perfectly, but you never understood ours, and still don't, clearly.

Timeaisis

I hate the "The consumers just weren't prepared for the awesomeness of Xbone" story they seem to be going with.

If it's one thing Microsoft needs to learn, it's that the consumer is always right. Stop trying to force us things we don't want.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Penello wanted all the advantages of digital with almost none of the consumer benefits.

Until you make sales like steam you are t even remotely comparable.

FDucking gross.

He's right. No one denied it.

What he doesn't mention (understand?) is that you have to give something to consumer going fully digital. Not take away from them.

gohepcat

Banned
He's 100% right.

It's absolutely insane that i have to ship a piece of plastic from NJ (closest Amazon warehouse) to my house in order to play a game.

They should have not included a disk drive in that thing and moved forward dragging the rest of the world with them.

Mr Swine

Banned
I guess MS will try this on their next generation Xbox One, yeah I'm sticking with Nintendo and Sony this generation thank you very much

methane47

Its not OUR fault for seeing straight through their complete and utter betrayal of consumer trust.

Its not OUR they tried and failed to completely screw all their loyal customers with Digital Rights.

Its not OUR Fault that THEIR view of "Digital" is not a Healthy one for Customers.

Yawnier

Banned
Yes Penello, your and the Xbox's team original ideas and plans for the Xbox One were just too ahead of time and complex for us dirty and lowly gamer plebeians to properly understand.

Averon

Saying they didn't get a chance have a "rational conversation" implies that the reaction to their DRM garbage was irrational. No, Albert. Our complaints were quite rational and clear.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Where's MS?

THERE'S MS!!!!

And I'm staying off of XBONE. Can't wait to see (again) what happens when they think we're ready.

People aren't ready for an all digital experience because the infrastructure is not there yet. I understand that it will be eventually, but that is not next-gen, it is next-next-gen.

Did someone in PR get up and go ... "ya' know what - that shit didn't fly last time, but now after the 180s and some positive news we should try it again?"

EDIT: Your grand design of a digital future sickens me Microsoft.

drproton

I don't think it was too early for an all-digital console.

It was too early for an all digital console masquerading as a physical game platform with none of the benefits of either business model and all of the drawbacks.

Also, another chance to mention, as usual:

Digital doesn't have to mean horrible DRM.

iTunes lets you save your apps, back them up, and install them to your devices, all offline. No 24-hour-check is needed. So even after Apple is long gone, that'll be fine.

Until I have some kind of "post-Microsoft" solution to run Xbox One games, I won't heavily invest that way.

Not surprising. This further cements they will try all this DRM fiasco further down the line when they feel in a comfortable enough position to do so. Can't believe we saw people say they would learn their lesson. I personally don't have enough faith in MS to do digital correctly.

Top Bottom