• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennello: "People just weren't ready for all digital Xbox One". Post #657 = ether.

Muffdraul

I feel you, Albert. I was ready, but it's way too soon for the mob. Some people will never be ready, but there will come a time when everyone on the planet has cheap high speed wireless access, and the concept of selling used games and loaning/borrowing them will become obsolete, when anyone can download any game in a few seconds. It's a ways off, but it'll happen someday. Don't Stop Beliebing.

GloveSlap

He's 100% right.

It's absolutely insane that i have to ship a piece of plastic from NJ (closest Amazon warehouse) to my house in order to play a game.

They should have not included a disk drive in that thing and moved forward dragging the rest of the world with them.

The world isn't ready for 50GB downloads, or at least the US isn't.

Let me just put out there that they had plenty of opportunity to explain the all digital stuff, but they chose not to or did not even have an answer. Never got a chance is the complete opposite of what they got.

UberTag

Microsoft still doesn't understand why the widely embraced licensing model of Office 365 won't be embraced by gamers.

"Why won't this revenue model that works so well and is so profitable in this one sector not work in this other sector? It's just common sense."

When, of course, the only reason the Office model exists is "widely embraced" is because there are no real alternatives out there that offer a non-extortionary pricing strategy.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do

Yet you had the chance to open pre-orders before you'd even nailed down the particulars..

Plenty of chance to take our money, not enough chance to tell us what we'd get for it.

Salex_

"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.
What does this even mean? They had many opportunities to talk about what they were trying to do but they kept saying "wait for more details" and weren't clear on everything they were talking about when any article came out. What kind of excuse is this?

This has nothing to do with all digital. if they wanted to go all-digital they shouldn't have included a disc drive. They couldq have implemented their weird 24hour check-ins for digital games and leave the disc based games as they were. Instead they tried to screw us over with a 24-hour check on disc based games qhich leaves you with a dummy disc once you fail to validate your console. That should never be the future imo

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wish they would have tried to initiate rational conversations without using foggy phrases like "experiences", "future" and "everything you care about". Why not just say that they despise the impact that used games have on their profit. Who do they think is fooled by their pretended focus on the customer? Its about the money, and people noticed.

Someone should highlight the differences between Xbone's pre-180 digital ecosystem and Steam's and show that list to Penello.

That's one point that can be made. Another that I always considered more important was understanding what it took for Steam to get where it is today. Even if I give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt and assume that their DRM was going to be pretty much exactly the same as Steam, I think it's a mistake to assume that Valve released Steam to the public and everyone immediately fell in love with it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
"I do feel like we never got a chance to have a rational conversation about what we were trying to do," Penello told Engadget.

They had all the time in the world to do so after their announcement. They just chose to be defensive instead.

Steroyd

*looks at next gen game sizes*

Yeah sure, when I can fit more than 10 games on a hardrive then maybe we can have a rational intelligent discussion.

If game sizes kept to the current generation or less, it is foreseeable in the future but if game sizes going to keep rising at this rate with every new hardware...

Nope.

KoopaTheCasual

I wonder when they'll learn this lesson:

"People will never be ready for restrictions on physical media, as well."

Seems like an important tidbit they keep missing.

Thrakier

I'm on steam and perfectly fine with that. It's great and I LOVE all digital. I'm not sure if this is "not being ready".

However, the last thing on earth I'd buy is a game machine in an economical enviroment which is completly controlled by MS, where every game costs 60$+ with NO retail value whatsoever.

The world isn't ready for 50GB downloads, or at least the US isn't.

That's why they had retail discs (that can be installed and then function the same as a digital game) as a backup plan.

Of course, people didn't like the other tradeoffs (lack of freely selling games on ebay or easily loaning a disc to a friend), but they did account for large downloads and bandwidth caps under the original plan.

Beant

I don't get it, can't people still go all digital this gen if they want to?

Whats the benefit (for consumers) of forcing everyone going to go all digital vs giving people the choice?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
He's 100% right.

It's absolutely insane that i have to ship a piece of plastic from NJ (closest Amazon warehouse) to my house in order to play a game.

They should have not included a disk drive in that thing and moved forward dragging the rest of the world with them.
You can still go all digital on Xbox One and PS4, you just won't have to worry about getting locked out of your games when the authentication servers inevitably crap out. You're welcome.

AmyS

imageview.php_1109207706.jpg

They went into radio silence and barely defended their "vision" and then did reversal after reversal. Hard to have a conversation when you don't even start one. Either way, their vision was stupid the way it was designed.

monlo

the problem was no options.

I had no option. I had to maintain a high speed internet to play games with the previous version of the console.

Now, there are options.

Thank god

I think the question I have is were they really prepared to make a compelling case for the move? Obviously, his point that people weren't ready is correct, but I'm not convinced that they were truly prepared to really pull out all the stops in trying to win people over in as much as they just expected people to accept it. There tended to be a lot of comparisons to other platforms/media that have gone mostly (if not completely) digital, but there didn't seem to be any understanding of how long that process was and what it took to get there. When they were scrambling to win people over with ideas like the Family Sharing plan, it was pretty clear that they really didn't have their message completely fleshed out.

Exactly. If they had stuff that could have turned the tide of opinion we would have seen it. Instead, the best they could do was the vague family plan claims.

That's one point that can be made. Another that I always considered more important was understanding what it took for Steam to get where it is today. Even if I give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt and assume that their DRM was going to be pretty much exactly the same as Steam, I think it's a mistake to assume that Valve released Steam to the public and everyone immediately fell in love with it.
Haha yep. Steam was a clusterfuck at the beginning and I remember people being very angry they had to use it just to play the copy of HL2 they bought at the store. It's come a long, long way since then.

I don't think pre-180 Xbox One realistically had any room to get better the way Steam did.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't get why they keep going with this tired spin of consumers are primative cavemen and MS's only fault was that they couldn't dumb it down enough for us to understand.

Panello of anyone at MS should know best what the gamer perspective has been of this offensive comment.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm not against an all-digital future, hell the PC is there now.
I'm against 24 hour dial home feature, that's bullshit.

Top Bottom