• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on 360 failure rates: "ya know, things break"

Moostache

Peter Moore can lick my anal area and floss with my pubic hairs if he thinks that "things break" is an adequate response to the fact that a fundemental design flaw in the 360 is leading to the unacceptable failure rate of the machines. For chissakes, their are numerous "fixes" on the internet already that have a 95% + success rate of not only fixing the failed consoles but also of retaining functional status longer than EITHER of my two 360 console to date!!!

I have had 2 separate 360's fail in the EXACT same manner - almost down to the total hours of use. Intermittant freezes followe by an appearance of the red rings, then a couple hours of gasping life and finally nothing by 3RRoD.

My first (1/2006 manufacture) was bought on 3/5/2006 and died on 9/04/2006.
Its replacement (7/2006 manufacture) was recieved on 9/16/2006 and died on 4/19/2006.

My third one is the best of them all - manufactured in 12/2005, refurb'd god knows how many times and louder than my other two combined and running the stupid Nyko intercoolers at the same time.

If the best answer the head of the division can offer is "things break" then I fully understand why Sega tanked, why the 360 failure rate is not fixed already and why Sony will once again end up eating MS's lunch by around 2009 in the console market.

bud

ElectricBlue187 said:
The big reason I bought a 360 is to play Mass Effect. I don't really care so much if it breaks after that point.

what if it breaks while you're playing mass effect for the first time

PS360

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
The big reason I bought a 360 is to play Mass Effect. I don't really care so much if it breaks after that point.

You have jinxed yourself to a magnitude that will make you weep. :lol

"ZOMG MAS FEKT"
*insert disc*
"Please put this disc in a 360 console"
"UM WTF"
*power off, power on*
3LOD

jamesx1981

Neo Member
travisbickle said:
We all know the 360 didn't go through a rigorous testing procedure, I think I read on here Microsoft practically started shipping units as soon as they had all the parts together

Monopolies such as Microsoft should not get away with releasing consumer products that have not been over tested.

Testers dont even get paid shit.

Saying that, I am still on my launch 360. But I do get freezes and stuff.

**I can make the 360 dashboard hang**
NO CONSOLE OS/DASH SHOULD EVER HANG

Like others have said in this thread, the suits at Microsoft should be extremly worried.

My Dad, who knows nothing about gaming, even asked me about the ring of death because his workmates were talking about it. He did NOT see it on the BBC consumer rights program 'Watchdog' (Which should be on You Tube if you never seen it)

*Microsoft declined to go on the show because Yo, Shit breaks yeah. Ya get me?*

Burger

kitch9 said:
People are putting too much stock in this using glue to hold the CPU & GPU down. I used to work in electronics manufacturing running the machines that place the components on circuit boards, and be assured that the 360 mobo is subject to MUCH more heat than it will ever experience during its normal working life for a considerable amount of time. Think temperatures of over 200C with a quick warmup and cool down for up to 20 minutes for either side of the board.

The glue is probably there to help with stopping the CPU and GPU moving around during component placement as the board gets thrown around at high speed, before going into an oven to melt the solder paste onto the pads and components. If the CPU moved slighty during this process it "smudges" the solder paste causing bridging of pads and this requires reworking which is time consuming and a pain in the ass to do.

If this was happening a lot at manufacturing, then that may explain some of the issues, as the reworking may as well be done by trained chimps in most plants.

I have yet to see boards flex under heat stress in even the cheapest of electronics equipment as they are all designed to withstand heat.

The problem isn't the presence or lack of epoxy on the edges of the cpu/gpu packages. The problem isn't the motherboard warping under extreme heat.

The problem is a faulty X-Clamp design. The motherboard is secured on its edges only, with a badly designed floating x-clamp.

People on the Xbox-Scene forums are replacing the X-Clamp with their own design and are getting a near 100% success rate. What does that tell you ?

KTallguy

Banned
Burger said:
People on the Xbox-Scene forums are replacing the X-Clamp with their own design and are getting a near 100% success rate. What does that tell you ?

And voiding their warranty in the process.

Burger

KTallguy said:
And voiding their warranty in the process.

Yeah I'm sure these are all people with new 360's ripping them open to modify them.

These people are down and f*cking out. Out of warranty, and Microsoft wants $140 to sell them another flawed console that will inevitably break down.

These are people who have taken it upon themselves to fix the problem, and it works.

Just gotta ride that warranty train till it runs off the tracks...

Vrolokus

Banned
Firestreak said:
Question is... does MS really lose lots of cash? If on their replacements they charge $140 and give you someone else's Xbox 360 that they fixed, it may actually be profitable to them.

And then a lot of people buy new 360s outright. They profit off this as well...

I'm pretty sure MS still loses money on each 360 sold, or at best breaks even. They don't benefit from selling people two consoles, since that person isn't going to buy twice as many games.

-Rogue5-

Vrolokus said:
I'm pretty sure MS still loses money on each 360 sold, or at best breaks even. They don't benefit from selling people two consoles, since that person isn't going to buy twice as many games.

I've always wondered if MS used the resale/repair/replacement unit numbers to achieve their 10million sell-through goal, though... I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but it'd definitely be a horrible tactic... and I mean the fact that they've continually lied about the 3-5% implies that they'd be willing to do something like that.

Parch

Sony constantly get criticized for the PS3 price, and I do mean constantly, but the 360 isn't exactly cheap either if you need or are considering...

1. an extended warranty
2. paying to get the damn thing fixed
3. purchasing some sort of intercooler
4. buying a replacement console

FightyF

Banned
Vrolokus said:

I don't know how reliable the source was...but there was one site that claimed that as of last Fall MS was making $75 on each Premium sold.

Barnolde

Banned
Vrolokus said:
I'm pretty sure MS still loses money on each 360 sold, or at best breaks even.

Being cheaply made allows MS to profit off the 360:
111606-2.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
urk said:
That's exactly why I bought mine. For the rush. Hell, when I fire that bad boy on and hear those turbines kick into high gear, I never know if it's going to make it all the way through to the end of my play session. It's that anxiety and fear that adds to the whole experience for me. Condemned in the dark on an HDTV with 5.1 surround? Scary. Condemned in the dark on an HDTV with 5.1 surround and a system that is teetering on the razor's edge of three red lights that spell out doom for my gaming backlog? Well, that's butthole clenching time right there.

Oh shit, that was great.

You will love RE5 then :lol

bigswords

Moostache said:
Its replacement (7/2006 manufacture) was recieved on 9/16/2006 and died on 4/19/2006.

Whoa time warp, it died before you recieve it?

Moostache said:
My third one is the best of them all - manufactured in 12/2005, refurb'd god knows how many times and louder than my other two combined and running the stupid Nyko intercoolers at the same time.

Ok I may have found the issue why your machines died.

CrushDance said:
:lol Wow. When even some serious xbox fans call MS out then it must be pretty bad. wow.

There lies the problem for Microsoft. You would think that people would take notice of this. Apparently they could care less.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
bigswords said:
Ok I may have found the issue why your machines died.

He didn't say he used the Nyko intercooler. And, they died because it's all but inevitable.

Major Nelson:"Peter Moore, The Spin Machine Is Online."
Peter Moore: "Excellent"
Major Nelson: "OH KNOES! We just got red-ringed! Effectiveness of spin is falling! BAIL OUT"

Dr_Cogent

Banned
"You know, things break"

Like when it comes to the 360, it breaks a lot. Gotta have the original launch unit repaired once again. Way to go MS!!!

You know, some things are just put together completely retarded.

zoukka

Borys said:
60% failure rate?

I say bogus. Anybody could sent a report in, even I.

Not necessary. In various Finnish Boards there are always hundreds of people who`s box has died and there`s like a thousand users on those boards :lol

This one famous guy is running his fifth (or was it sixth?) 360, and the Finnish representative of Microsoft delivered the Fifth personally with GeoW Limited Edition. It was so absurd...

JMPovoa

The failure in acknowledging that there is a real problem that needs to be corrected is what scares me the most. It's like it's a normal thing to happen.

Yet i think this quote is blown way out of the water. They'll problably fix the Xbox360's problems in a few months if they can redesign its interiors for proper behaviour. I don't think they're happy in having to lose millions in console repairs.

Raist

Banned
JMPovoa said:
They'll problably fix the Xbox360's problems in a few months if they can redesign its interiors for proper behaviour. I don't think they're happy in having to lose millions in console repairs.

This should have been done months ago

Top Bottom