• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to split California into six states gets green light

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
"Dude, I was born in West Cali, moved to Nor Cal for school, and have to commute to Silicon Valley every day for work. It's hella crazy just driving through Central Cal, there isn't anything there, just to go to So Cal for tacos. Well, at least there's no need to ever go to Jefferson any more."

Actually, what would happen to the California state schools?

terrisus

and all six of them would still suck
that's some shit I tell you what

image.php

The awesome-face dog always makes your posts read awesomely.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How would the Pro Sports team be recognized as lol?

The Lakers win the NBA Championship, only West California can celebrate, the other 5 can go fuck off!

GraveRobberX

If you though SF rent was sky high right now, wait till it becomes it's own state!

How about instead of splitting California we just combine a bunch of the Northeastern states into one large state. Our states should become closer to the size of Canada's provinces.

entremet

Republicans would love this.

How would the Pro Sports team be recognized as lol?

The Lakers win the NBA Championship, only West California can celebrate, the other 5 can go fuck off!

It will be like all those New England States rooting for Boston teams.

Dead Man

How about instead of splitting California we just combine a bunch of the Northeastern states into one large state. Our states should become closer to the size of Canada's provinces.

Cascadia ahoy! But yeah, I prefer to see states amalgamate to create less divisions within a region, not more.

Edit: Doh, thought you wrote Northwestern lol

GraveRobberX

Then the South will be our Quebec.

Speak French English, nothing else. Our culture needs to survive.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Wouldn't work. Nobody would take Jersey.

ronito

I was talking to some crazy dude that was all about setting up the state of Jefferson (not the six state stuff) he was absolutely adamant that it needed to happen. When I brought up how they'd survive without the money from silicon valley he just stomped away.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Northern Cali has wanted to join Southern Oregon to form Jefferson for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

They have a better chance of this happening than 6 California's... and that chance is roughly 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Canada's provinces are largely barren wastelands. Pennsylvania already matches the population of Canada's most populous province, and New York is 1.5x its population.

New Jersey has a million more people than Canada's second most populous province. New Jersey.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This is literally rich people trying to create their own state. The idiotic way they divided up SoCal will guarantee this never goes anywhere.

They got it backwards. California needs to absorb states. A high-speed rail from San Diego to Seattle. Also connect LA to Las Vegas. We need everyone else's water as well. In return, we will spread our mexican food throughout the new state.

High taxes for everyone!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is ridiculous. utter nonsense. i am literally shaking my head reading that OP. why the hell wouldnt the northern part of california be named "northern california". Jefferson!?

antonz

This is that proposal by the asshats in Silicon Valley who have openly said they are tired of having to contribute their money to the poor etc. so want a rich person only state

this is ridiculous. utter nonsense. i am literally shaking my head reading that OP. why the hell wouldnt the northern part of california be named "northern california". Jefferson!?

Because there shouldn't be any reason for the least populous and least interesting part of the former state of One California to have California as part of its name.

FStop7

Banned
The gold one cracks me up. This guy just wants his little Disneyland of wealth without filthy poors to sully the view.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Because there shouldn't be any reason for the least populous and least interesting part of the former state of One California to have California as part of its name.

you are wrong and i have guns to prove it.

Averon

This is about rich northern Californians wanting to break free so they don't have to spend their money on those filthy poors in southern California.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, a venture capitalist's libertarian dream.

Silicon Valley is the Orange County of NorCal, except more vocal and preachy.

I live in Silicon Valley, and everyone I meet is pretty consistently liberal. Plus the area consistently votes Democrat, unlike orange county.

Are you sure you're not just talking about Sand Hill Road in Palo Alto?

Kenai

So, semi-serious question: if this actually passed, would I need to get my place of birth changed (gross!) on legal documents? Cause ain't nobody got time for...

GraveRobberX

If you really think about it the due who proposed this must have watched the Hunger Games hardcore and went, "What beautiful Utopia"

Districts = States

We know which state will be District 1 >_>;

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This sounds like a ridiculous right-wing plan to somehow get parts of California back into the red column during national elections.

I can see two or three states, but six sounds downright excessive.

Also let's not call San Francisco's state Silicon Valley, please?

Somehow this feels strangely like gerrymandering. I wonder what the real motivation is behind pushing for a split.

Edit:

This sounds like a ridiculous right-wing plan to somehow get parts of California back into the red column during national elections.

Beat me to it. Exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom